View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

BorisManUtd

All things considered, that was one of Onana's best games for us. Did very well coming for aerials, which I wasn't expecting.
Yeah same for me. Happy with Onana's performance today. Also played big part in our goal of course.

Strats

Motm for me. Did for some reason feel 100% confident that he would save it when Foden had his one on one chance in the first half.

Feels like he's growing into being a solid keeper for us, does need to polish a a few things though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good distribution and shot stopping today. Generally still too much risk involved with him being our keeper. For every 75 yard hollywood pass that happens to connect with one of our attackers, there are at least two needlessly risky scenarios involving him coming out too far and paying the price for it. That's even before we get to the endless back passes between keeper and fullbacks that are probabilistically destined to result in an oppo goal at some point.

Amira

Really good performance. We don’t think about him when games are completed which is a compliment

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We will see a even better player once we sign the correct profile of players in defence and midfield. Players who he can connect with in the build up phase. But even then he was exceptional for periods of the game and his contributions will be more telling once we become more dominant as a team.

bitcoin

Really good performance from him. Maybe could've got down a bit quicker for their 2nd goal, but on the whole, his calmness when faced with pressure from City forwards, as well as general distribution and aerial command of the box was superb.

Andersons Dietician

He was man of the match for me, had some shoddy passing errors where he was just giving it to city but he was also playing some killer passes at other times and for once showed what a weapon he could be.

erikcred

Excellent turnaround after a rubbish start.

Maybe Amrabat also just needs a bit of time? :nervous:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
One of his best performances today. I thought his passing in the first half was top. Made some decent saves

RORY65

The best shot stoppers save the 2nd goal but it's clear that's not his biggest strength (we ask him to make such a high number of saves too) and in the other areas of the game I thought this was one of his better performances for United. He played some terrific passes in the 1st half, either going more direct (e.g. for the goal) or just through the City attackers in to our midfield, he was more imposing in one-on-ones than he has been previously and he was strong at dealing with crosses into the box. If we build a better team where we're not expecting him to be a De Gea type shot stopper, Ederson definitely isn't that good at saving shots, then he could be really important for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good distribution and shot stopping today. Generally still too much risk involved with him being our keeper. For every 75 yard hollywood pass that happens to connect with one of our attackers, there are at least two needlessly risky scenarios involving him coming out too far and paying the price for it. That's even before we get to the endless back passes between keeper and fullbacks that are probabilistically destined to result in an oppo goal at some point.
We’re well over half way through the season and this hasn’t cost us yet. I think the reality here is that he’s a good judge about when to come a long way out and when to stay put. Which means they aren’t “needlessly risky” scenarios at all. It’s a calculated risk, with an obvious upside. And his ability to do this is one of the reasons he’s highly rated as a goalkeeper.

always_hoping

Has come into good form recently and for next season he needs a settled/strong defence in front of him and midfield that are competitive.

criticalanalysis

Almost flawless with his shot stopping, catching and aerial claims. Great ball for Bruno for Rashford's goal. Poor for the 2nd goal and then some iffy passing later on.

Overall a good game but he definitely has some fundamental issues with his feet movement and positioning. Shame as it was such a fine game from him before the 2nd goal.

NoPace

Kept us in the game with his composure on the ball and a great pass for the first goal. Didn't make the save on the 2nd. Sort of classic Onana. Level below the Ederson/Allison types.

Kostov

Flawless display while conceding that second goal? Not for me. Good ball for the goal, some very very good saves, but once again a shot goes through his hand.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Almost flawless with his shot stopping, catching and aerial claims. Great ball for Bruno for Rashford's goal. Poor for the 2nd goal and then some iffy passing later on.

Overall a good game but he definitely has some fundamental issues with his feet movement and positioning. Shame as it was such a fine game from him before the 2nd goal.
And maybe it's just me but feels like he kinda has weak hands. Lots of goals where he gets a hand on it but it still goes through.

Mike Smalling

And maybe it's just me but feels like he kinda has weak hands. Lots of goals where he gets a hand on it but it still goes through.
Haven't many of these been shots along the ground, where he just doesn't get down quick enough? I think it's more a question of agility than strong hands.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Haven't many of these been shots along the ground, where he just doesn't get down quick enough? I think it's more a question of agility than strong hands.
That could certainly be a part of it. Not getting down fast enough so he isn't set while attempting to save and doesn't get good contact on the ball.

Mike Smalling

I swear they keep inventing new stats. What is a high claim exactly? Do you just have to catch a cross, or does it have to be contested somehow?

Anyway, he did well dealing with crosses yesterday. Encouraging performance, even if the second goal could maybe have been saved.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Being United's goalkeeper has got to be one of the most difficult jobs in football.
He's facing so many shots a week. We conceded 16.4 per game in the PL. Only West Ham, Luton, and Sheffield United concede more.

justsomebloke

I think it's more than a little harsh and unreasonable to take him to task for the second goal. I wouldn't expect any goalkeeper to save that. If he had, it'd be lauded as a fantastic save.

Hughes35

Credit where it's due, he has been excellent for a few games now.

Think his shot stopping technique looks a bit weird but when he's pro active like yesterday he's a much better keeper. Hope he grows more and more from this.

croadyman

Certainly had one of his better games yesterday,just wish we had seen this version in the Champions League group stages. We would then have comfortably finished second behind Bayern

Stadjer

I think it's more than a little harsh and unreasonable to take him to task for the second goal. I wouldn't expect any goalkeeper to save that. If he had, it'd be lauded as a fantastic save.
Quite a few called Onana a shite goalkeeper and wrote him off after a few months. Those people are going to micro analyse anything Onana does for when he doesnt do something perfect and blame Onana. That is easier than to just admit they were wrong about Onana and that they shouldnt have written off a new goalkeeper after only a few months of Premier League football with a injured and terrible defense in front of that keeper.

Vidooq

No, it's not. People that have made a decision on him back in November because of his CL clangers, will not be accepting anything less than him turning into prime Manuel Neuer, and even then, there will be an aspect to criticize him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I swear they keep inventing new stats. What is a high claim exactly? Do you just have to catch a cross, or does it have to be contested somehow?

Anyway, he did well dealing with crosses yesterday. Encouraging performance, even if the second goal could maybe have been saved.
Would have thought it was one of the more self explanatory stats. It's the number of times a keeper catches a high ball inside his box. That was one of DDG's more annoying weaknesses, so it's great to see such solid evidence of Onana already being a big upgrade here.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has improved significantly in recent weeks, to a point where a goalkeeper will definitely not be a position we will try to address in the Summer even if we dismiss ETH.