View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mu4c_20le

His recent interview actually gave me some hope. It saids that the people close to him are confused because he didn't used to move like this before (lethargic, delayed reactions). So maybe its just mental, which can be overcome.

Stadjer

Andre Onana tested team-mates’ patience – now he is showing why Man United wanted him
  • Galatasaray was the low point. It truly was a ‘Welcome to Hell’ moment for Andre Onana as he stood alone on the turf in Istanbul, his team-mates already in the dressing room. Two Hakim Ziyech free kicks had caught him off guard and resulted in goals.
  • After the final whistle, Onana threw his gloves to the floor and covered his face with his hands. He tried to pull his shirt over his head as if he wanted to hide from the world. Then he stood alone. Onana’s team-mates didn’t offer support, they were too annoyed. The draw in Turkey effectively knocked United out of the Champions League group stage. Their goalkeeper’s apparent inability to protect his goal — he also made mistakes in the opening group game at Bayern Munich — had cost them.
  • For Onana, the European campaign was a huge disappointment, particularly when you consider he had excelled in the Champions League last season, reaching the final with Inter Milan and earning praise from Pep Guardiola, whose Manchester City side beat them to lift the trophy.
  • Five months later and back playing in the same city, Onana had become a figure of derision and a source of memes online.
  • Even though a stern-faced Erik ten Hag refused to blame him for errors, his team-mates doubted him, no matter what they said publicly. In one training session, a young player who had barely played a first-team game said, “Are you going to save one or what?” after he felt United’s new goalkeeper wasn’t stopping enough shots.
  • Onana was down and told people close to him: “I don’t know what is happening to me with these mistakes. I always have confidence in myself but now I’m losing it.” Those who know him best said he moved his body differently during games. The goalkeeper they saw wasn’t the goalkeeper they knew.

Read the whole article here
https://archive.ph/QwKrI
League's best at claiming crosses? But i kept reading here that he wasnt even an improvement over DDG on here?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good to see the improvement as he's calmed and the season has gone on. Goalkeepers are ultimately rated based on consistency, so we'll have to see if brain-dead errors are just part of him long term, but at the very least, he's not an issue with any specific attribute. Good with ball at his feet, good at dealing with crosses, good all around... It's just the amateur mistakes earlier.

Teja

Decent game. Distribution wise I think he has been asked to go long - our build up play from goal kicks was predictably crap so not much to do there.

Litch

Decent game. Distribution wise I think he has been asked to go long - our build up play from goal kicks was predictably crap so not much to do there.
Def asked to go long and it’s such a lottery ball, agree it is what it is.….

Superunknown

Good performance from him today. He's looking more and more comfortable. Just think the entire squad need this season to be over and we can start again next year. He does need a more consistent back four in front of him next year.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Should have put that one punch out wider instead of back into a dangerous position, but otherwise a solid game.

League's best at claiming crosses? But i kept reading here that he wasnt even an improvement over DDG on here?
I'm guessing it's percentage wise that he succeeds with, not taking into account how many he's actually coming for. He's certainly improved lately but in the first couple of months he was barely claiming anymore than De Gea was.

Idxomer

I love the way he cuts angles and collects the ball when facing with low crosses. It was one of the things that annoyed the most with De Gea, letting the ball run right across him and being scared to claim it.

Vidooq

Didnt put a foot wrong. Starting to win me over, a solid 7/10 game.
Actually, he did, if we are neat picking. He took his eye off the ball and we conceded a corner from Evans backpass, from which DCL almost scored a header. He also had a save that he punched directly into Onana's path, luckily for us, he launched it in row Z.

But this is totally different Onana from the CL Onana. I'm happy for him, and I'm glad I was in the corner of the few that knew he would come good for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Looking like the keeper we expected we were getting. Long may it continue.

LInkash

Good game. Though it's funny that whenever a commentator mentions his ball playing ability, he inevitably kicks it out of play.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can’t fault him at the moment, long may it continue.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He now genuinely looks like a normal goalkeeper, which is great. Love all the high claims he's been making of late.

Still sometimes annoys the feck out of me in possession though. Needlessly takes a feckin' age sometimes, letting the opposition get set.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We still haven't seen the reason he was brought to the club due to us still being a direct team in possession in the build up phase. But that I believe will change next season because the priority positions to upgrade are in defence and midfield unlike last season where the GK and striker positions became the priority. And once we sign those players, we should absolutely expect Onana to raise his game further on the ball.

criticalanalysis

I'm guessing it's percentage wise that he succeeds with, not taking into account how many he's actually coming for. He's certainly improved lately but in the first couple of months he was barely claiming anymore than De Gea was.
Yes, whilst he seemed more comfortable than De Gea on aerial claims initially (i.e even that fist punch, non-penalty against Wolves was sort of a promising sign that he was at least willing), for some reason he just stood on line like the Spaniard. Lately, however, he's been really good. Brave, proactive and decisive. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

We still haven't seen the reason he was brought to the club due to us still being a direct team in possession in the build up phase. But that I believe will change next season because the priority positions to upgrade are in defence and midfield unlike last season where the GK and striker positions became the priority. And once we sign those players, we should absolutely expect Onana to raise his game further on the ball.
That's the hope. Although inconsistent, he has shown many times of elite composure and patience in drawing the opposition to then calmly play out short passes. His long kicking definitely needs work though, as it seems his judgement of players and spacing is off. Of course it doesn't help our shape is woeful most of the time when dealing with first, second and third phase pressing, so it's not his fault entirely.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Earned his clean sheet. He’s had a much better second half of the season.

slored1

Don't think he's had a bad game since Galatasaray away. Showing why we bought him for that price.

Gator Nate

He now genuinely looks like a normal goalkeeper, which is great. Love all the high claims he's been making of late.

Still sometimes annoys the feck out of me in possession though. Needlessly takes a feckin' age sometimes, letting the opposition get set.
When he sits on the ball, he's usually trying to draw an attacker towards him. He makes it a bit nervy, waiting until the last moment to get rid of it, but he's done well with that so far.

That said, watch his eyes when he gets the ball - he's immediately scanning the forwards for a long pass, or the midfield for a shorter one. Most of the time, he's looking for someone to take it, and will only draw the opponent in when that's not an option. But watch his head and eyes. He's aware of the field.

led_scholes

Even at his low period few months ago, he didn't seem afraid to ask for the ball to break the press.

Dansk

He’s a very good keeper, seems people were overly rash in judging him.
Well, he was absolutely horrendous for the first half of the season and almost single-handedly got us knocked out of the CL, but it's great that he's finding his form and doing better. I think he can do fine here, so long as his utterly disastrous start is well behind him and not something we have to deal with again in the future. I wouldn't call it "rash" to judge him when he was so awful for quite a long time, but he clearly is better than what he showed at first. Neuer and Kahn are on the record saying he's their favourite up-and-coming keeper, so he has something.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well, he was absolutely horrendous for the first half of the season and almost single-handedly got us knocked out of the CL, but it's great that he's finding his form and doing better. I think he can do fine here, so long as his utterly disastrous start is well behind him and not something we have to deal with again in the future. I wouldn't call it "rash" to judge him when he was so awful for quite a long time, but he clearly is better than what he showed at first. Neuer and Kahn are on the record saying he's their favourite up-and-coming keeper, so he has something.
He wasn't though. He had a bad time in the CL but his league form was fine.