View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OverratedOpinion

Sorry, their finishing was awful not that Onana made the saves.

Again stats are such a dumb concept.
What about his "saves and general keeping" was a problem today?

Conceded a volley at point blank range with no one marking the attacker and a penalty. Made some okay saves but they didn't really have many good shots on target. Could have maybe caught 1 shout he parried out for a corner in the first half.

Not a career making performance nor one where he put a foot wrong.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah. He had one great save. Early in the first half. The rest he needs to save. Also gave away a couple of iffy rebounds. A question mark on the first goal as well, or is Dalot just in his way?
That would be an extremely bloody harsh question mark.

binary bot
I thought when he signed that he’d make mistakes but overall it’s be a net positive through possession retention and being proactive.

But the team hasn’t been in a position to test that. 30 shots a game is the complete opposite to the setup I expected him to be playing in.

if someone like Ederson is playing in our team, how does he do?

Rojofiam

What is good enough?

We are unbeaten against Pool this season and he certainly contributed to this… Last year we lost 7-0 to a lower xGs than this.

(not to forget they needed a very soft pen to equalise)
Conceded 5 goals from 8.78 xG against Liverpool in his 3 games against them so far

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nothing he could have done about the goals, and he was mostly decent for the rest of it.

I do have to say that once again there was one time he parried a shot back into a dangerous position which could have cost us if the attacker had his finishing boots on. Arguably a second that he put out for a corner that he could have caught as well, although that one is nit-picking a bit.

OverratedOpinion

Extremely bloody? Liked that

Either way, it’s by no means a mistake, but it’s a scuffed shot very close to him. Looks to me that he isn’t able to stretch his hans due to Dalot though.
Firstly Dalot is in the way yes, secondly for a scuffed shot it travels at some pace. Unbelievably harsh if you called that an error.

Unbelievably extremely bloody harsh in fact.

Stadjer

That would be an extremely bloody harsh question mark.
Everything Onana does is looked at into extreme detail. He had a good game but some feel the need to micro analyse everything Onana does in an attempt to downplay his performance. They made up their minds when he was giving away goals for free in the CL and changing your mind is never easy.

Rossa

Firstly Dalot is in the way yes, secondly for a scuffed shot it travels at some pace. Unbelievably harsh if you called that an error.

Unbelievably extremely bloody harsh in fact.
I didn’t call it an error. I literally said it was not a mistake. They are synonymous. It being so close, with a bit more luck he saves it. Even bloody saves it.

Rossa

Everything Onana does is looked at into extreme detail. He had a good game but some feel the need to micro analyse everything Onana does in an attempt to downplay his performance. They made up their minds when he was giving away goals for free in the CL and changing your mind is never easy.
What’s the point with this forum if we can’t discuss? He had a good game. He also had a good game vs Chelsea but still should have saved the first.

Well deserved with the player of the month award as well.

He’s been good for a few good months now. He’s not a game changer though.

OverratedOpinion

I didn’t call it an error. I literally said it was not a mistake. They are synonymous. It being so close, with a bit more luck he saves it. Even bloody saves it.
Yeah I know, you were asking a question. Which is fine. I think that from watching it a few times the answer is pretty definitive that he was not at fault for that goal.

Nas-JR

I don't think there is a single prem keeper more busy than him. When you have to deal with 50+ significant actions a game (if you include how much involvement is expected of him with his feet), you are bound to execute 2 or 3 of those imperfectly, which one can argue the first goal applies here... at the same time, COME ON. How people can complain about that performance is beyond me. He's been our best player for a while, no idea why some people are insistent on not cutting him any slack.

Reactions: 711

soapythecat

He's massively improved and become almost an important first team player. Very reliable considering how fecking busy he is. Look forward to seeing him play behind a settled back 4 and competent midfield. His passing is good and he's done some fantastic saves of late.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nothing he could have done about the goals, and he was mostly decent for the rest of it.

I do have to say that once again there was one time he parried a shot back into a dangerous position which could have cost us if the attacker had his finishing boots on. Arguably a second that he put out for a corner that he could have caught as well, although that one is nit-picking a bit.
He did the right thing there, it was pissing down and the ball would have been slippery, catching it would have been a risky option

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Most saves out of any keeper in the league.

He might not be United's long term solution for the position but he isn't helped by the lobotomised defence in front of him. We'd probably want him if he played for City.
We wouldn't. His handling is poor.

criticalanalysis

He did the right thing there, it was pissing down and the ball would have been slippery, catching it would have been a risky option
Yeah I did think that. He's usually quite good at catching balls when it comes to his chest height.

At least he's parrying them away rather than in front of him!

Litch

In a strange way, I think him being so busy with lots of different scenarios has accelerated his learning of the league.
The save in the first half was outstanding....

Litch

Yeah I did think that. He's usually quite good at catching balls when it comes to his chest height.

At least he's parrying them away rather than in front of him!
Agree. You can see he's adapting his game and the outstanding save he made, he came out to narrow the angle rather than staying weirdly on his line, which he was doing...

erikcred

In a strange way, I think him being so busy with lots of different scenarios has accelerated his learning of the league.
The save in the first half was outstanding....
You're not wrong. Maybe this was ETH's intention all along.

Cantonalegod

Right. Clearly I’m not talking in definitive terms here. He’s making 20 saves a game, of course it will be a mix of heights. I can certainly remember a lot more acrobatic saves higher up, but like I said, I’m just going off memory.
He's only making 4 saves a game!

Last edited:

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
those who are criticizing him today, will be the first ones to claim they never did once it's obvious he's good

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is a little bit unlucky too. When you look at 3 last pens (Palmer and Salah). Salah and Palmer didn't look at Onana during their runs. They just picked a side and their shots were not even in the corner. If Onana picked right side in any of those pks, he would save it.
It was literally 50:50 chance.

Red & White

I thought he did well today. As others have said, he’s facing an unusually large number of shots every single game. It’s not normal. I think he’s been very good since the turn of the year. Also, the constant changes in the four defenders in front of him each game can’t help matters.

Pickle85

He is a little bit unlucky too. When you look at 3 last pens (Palmer and Salah). Salah and Palmer didn't look at Onana during their runs. They just picked a side and their shots were not even in the corner. If Onana picked right side in any of those pks, he would save it.
It was literally 50:50 chance.
Eh? He's unlucky because he didn't dive the right way on a pen? That is one hell of a reach.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ten Hag is a genius. How do you get a keeper to adapt to the league? You smash 250+ shots at him. Next season it will be like he's had 3 seasons in the prem.

mu4c_20le

Diving the same way twice against Palmer vexed me more than today, where I held no hope that he'd save Salah's.

lex talionis

Made a few great saves and some saves you'd expect him to make. No blood on his gloves for either goal we conceded.

arnie_ni

The save in the first half was immense. I'm probably being harsh but I think he should do better on Diaz goal. It seemed to be right there to palm away