View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedRocket9908

He did ok today although I thought he could have done better on the first goal, there was absolutely nothing he could do on the 2nd goal.

AndySmith1990

He'd be one of the last players I'd replace if I were rebuilding this team. Not because he's world class, but he's probably "good enough", whereas most others in the squad aren't.

Telsim

Said it once, will say it again.There are many situations where he could have done better, but he has also been making great saves that have kept us afloat. When you face over 200 shots in 10 games statistics dictate some will go in. And fewer than expected have gone in. The circus in front of him bears most of the blame.

The_Midfielder

He wasn't 'at fault', but both were saveable IMO. He was too central for the first and showed too much space at his near post. I'd have to see the second again but I think he was a little slow to get down to it.

Made one or two good saves too.
Yes , but if he wasn't central, shouldn't Solnake choose the other side

Irwin99

The save at 2-1 really kept us in the game after an appalling first half from us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes , but if he wasn't central, shouldn't Solnake choose the other side
Should always slightly favour the near post. It's easier to score, and a smaller distance so the keeper has less time to get there. Maguire was also somewhat covering the far post with his positioning. If it was right on the post then there would have been nothing Onana could do about it, but it was two foot inside the post so I do think better positioning would have allowed him to save it.

Watching the replay, I'll take back my criticism of the second goal though. His positioning was fine there and the shot was just too hard to get down to it in time.

didz

Both finishes against him were well placed. For the second one, between Kambwala and Dalot acting like the other had the lurgy, and Casemiro making one of his now patented half-hearted challenges, it's bad enough that Onana had to face a shot at all, much less one under no pressure in such a dangerous position.

He was particularly good on their set pieces. It's nice having a keeper who catches crosses. His passing was a bit inconsistent, but it's probably worth mentioning he was playing in a bog both halves.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Both finishes against him were well placed. For the second one, between Kambwala and Dalot acting like the other had the lurgy, and Casemiro making one of his now patented half-hearted challenges, it's bad enough that Onana had to face a shot at all, much less one under no pressure in such a dangerous position.

He was particularly good on their set pieces. It's nice having a keeper who catches crosses. His passing was a bit inconsistent, but it's probably worth mentioning he was playing in a bog both halves.
Yup. Agree with all of that. Especially the bit about catching crosses. Warms the cockles.

Kostov

He is not the calamity he was before but he is not good enough either. Both shots were saveable for a top class GK, he is not that unfortunately.

Eddy_JukeZ

Been a bright spot recently.

Pretty sure his distribution will be a major asset if we start to prioritize more control in how we play(with a new manager next season hopefully).

Unam333

He's doing pretty well after his horror start. No need to microanalyse his mistakes. It's only logical that he will concede goals because of the amount of shots he faces. He can release the ball quicker though and play it long instead of short passes to Maguire.

Edit:

So basically Justin Kluivert gave an post-match interview yesterday and his coach (or a former Ajax coach, not sure) instructed him to shoot in Onana's short corner.

Make of it what you will.

Last edited:

lost7

Clearly a weakness of his is that he's slow to get down on low shots. And everyone knows it so we're getting peppered with many of them.

He's going to have improve on that

Leethal

Done well lately, especially considering the volume of shots he faces. Due to sheer volume, he gets a pass for the odd mistake here and there.

Poor bastard.

Matt Varnish

Done well lately, especially considering the volume of shots he faces. Due to sheer volume, he gets a pass for the odd mistake here and there.

Poor bastard.
Yeah totally agree, he's great at stopping the shots straight at him

Matt Varnish

You could say the same for Bournemouths keeper, or did that fact go straight over your head ?

didz

You could say the same for Bournemouths keeper, or did that fact go straight over your head ?
They overwatered our side of the pitch before the game and only watered our side at half time. So no, nothing went over my head.

Matt Varnish

They overwatered our side of the pitch before the game and only watered our side at half time. So no, nothing went over my head.
Nah the argument still stands, unless the one haf miracualously drained at half time.
Just admit we were shit (again) and stop trying to make silly excuses.

frostbite

He is the new Barthez. Sometimes good, but never too far away from an embarrassing disaster.

Good enough for the 6-8th best team in PL. Not good enough for a top team.

El Jefe

In any other good team he’d be a priority replacement position but we are so shite that he’s probably number 7 on the list of positions going into next season.

In my opinion he’s like our version of Ramsdale or Mignolet. Passable but you should have better if you want to be a top side.

binary bot
Thought he played well overall but the blatant time wasting is daft as feck. Does far more harm than anything else.

Oranges038

Easily our best player today. Criminal how much work he had to do. Coventry managed 18 shots against us... Then 4 penalties
So still 20+ shots then.

That little touch from Simms shot was brilliant.