Andreas Pereira | 2014/15 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Square

Great attitude.

Hope he goes out on loan next season, especially if we're further strengthening in midfield.
I'll be surprised if he goes out on loan. Image one of the reasons he signed was that he would be more involved with the first team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'll be surprised if he goes out on loan. Image one of the reasons he signed was that he would be more involved with the first team.
Yeah, I'm always split on these decision to be honest. At the beginning of this season, after we signed AdM, I thought Januzaj should go out on loan as well.

I guess I have it fixed in my head that the 18-21 age is key for development. i.e. if you're not guaranteed minutes, it's best getting minutes in a different league etc. But I guess there's a ton of development happening by just being around the first team as well.

Guess we'll see.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A lot of rumours about him going on loan next season. PSV seems like a good place to go, if they give him a enough playing time that is.

Brightonian

Not too worried about whether he goes on loan or not. I think at that age they can afford a season of limited chances, as long as it doesn't stretch to more than a season. For example, I don't think this season will have done Januzaj any harm, but next season it's much more important that he either plays fairly regularly or goes on loan.

Consider that we offloaded Anderson and Fletcher this season, and Cleverley looks likely to go this summer too. Even with one likely incoming central midfielder (Gundogan, if the rumours are anything to go by), there's a good deal of room for a young CM in our squad. I'm hoping Pearson will also be around next season too, pressing his case to be Carrick's successor, unless a Premier League loan spell presents itself. That would leave us with CM options looking like this:

Carrick
Blind
Pearson
Gundogan
Herrera
Pereira

Which seems about right to me.

032Devil

Mitten said he would go on loan abroad while Lvg wanted him to go in England iirc.
Going abroad screwed up Macheda. It doesn't mean that would happen to Pereira but I would prefer to see him loaned out to an English club.

khoazany

Not too worried about whether he goes on loan or not. I think at that age they can afford a season of limited chances, as long as it doesn't stretch to more than a season. For example, I don't think this season will have done Januzaj any harm, but next season it's much more important that he either plays fairly regularly or goes on loan.

Consider that we offloaded Anderson and Fletcher this season, and Cleverley looks likely to go this summer too. Even with one likely incoming central midfielder (Gundogan, if the rumours are anything to go by), there's a good deal of room for a young CM in our squad. I'm hoping Pearson will also be around next season too, pressing his case to be Carrick's successor, unless a Premier League loan spell presents itself. That would leave us with CM options looking like this:

Carrick
Blind
Pearson
Gundogan
Herrera
Pereira

Which seems about right to me.
Sounds about right until you realise we also have Fellani.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
From the clip he reminds me a little of Kaka
More like a Jack Wilshere type, but less influential, his form has been really, really inconsistent over the last couple years in the reserves, but he certainly has the talent burried in there though thats for sure, just needs to put it all together..
I'm still not sure where he'd play for us longterm, I dont think he'll be good enough to get a consistent run in our side as a no.10, where Joyce mostly played him.

Will be interesting to see where LvG puts him, I would say he's more a no.8.

SiRed

More like a Jack Wilshere type, but less influential, his form has been really, really inconsistent over the last couple years in the reserves, but he certainly has the talent burried in there though thats for sure, just needs to put it all together..
I'm still not sure where he'd play for us longterm, I dont think he'll be good enough to get a consistent run in our side as a no.10, where Joyce mostly played him.

Seems a tad harsh. Do you rate Wilshere highly?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Seems a tad harsh. Do you rate Wilshere highly?
Yea, Wilshere's a good player, just been unlucky with injuries, he's not.. 100% a Wilshere type clone either, it's kinda hard to compare him to someone already in the game, I mention Wilshere in the sense of similarities, can run with the ball, pick out a good pass, great technique, but puts himself about despite being a *technical player*, and can play no.8 or 10.
He's clearly very talented, but I just cant see him breaking into the team and being impressive enough, and consistent minute to minute to stay there as a no.10 for us, not at this point anyway.

Hope that makes sense, it almost did in my head. :D

Redo91

He's been anything but this season. Will walk the player of the season voting and rightly so.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's been anything but this season. Will walk the player of the season voting and rightly so.
First half of the year he was still fairly inconsistent for me, not in total games as a whole, but minute to minute, if that makes sense could do amazing bits and pieces as always, then be eratic with his short passing the next, second half the season I'd be inclined to agree with you but in full honesty I havent caught as many of the reserve games the last few months than I usually sit down for.

What position do you see him playing for us if he steps up next season?

Redo91

First half of the year he was still fairly inconsistent for me, not in total games as a whole, but minute to minute, if that makes sense could do amazing bits and pieces as always, then be eratic with his short passing the next, second half the season I'd be inclined to agree with you but in full honesty I havent caught as many of the reserve games the last few months than I usually sit down for.

What position do you see him playing for us if he steps up next season?
I could seem him playing a very similar role to the one Herrera fulfils. Like Herrera he has plenty of energy to get about the park, is a good passer, and is a goal threat. I certainly don't think he is at his best as a #10 as he can struggle to influence games from there.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Just realised he will be playing an hour south of Sydney at the end of the month. Will have to take the trip down to have a watch. Will be good to see him in action.

Brightonian

Sounds about right until you realise we also have Fellani.
But LVG has rightly clocked that he's not really a central midfielder in any normal sense of the word, which is why I didn't include him. I was thinking exclusively of people who could play the Herrera or Carrick roles.

khoazany

But LVG has rightly clocked that he's not really a central midfielder in any normal sense of the word, which is why I didn't include him. I was thinking exclusively of people who could play the Herrera or Carrick roles.
Are you talking about a midfield 3 or midfield 2?If it's the former then Fellani is definitely a part of it.If it's the latter then having 6 players is overkilled.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Are you talking about a midfield 3 or midfield 2?If it's the former then Fellani is definitely a part of it.If it's the latter then having 6 players is overkilled.
If we played without Fellaini, it's a genuine 433. With him, it's not really. Sometimes he's in those central areas, but as soon as we're on the attack he pushes right up into the box to look for aerial balls etc and plays much more like a forward. So that's why I don't include him on that list.

Hit It

Imagine a holy trinity consisting of Januzaj on the left, Wilson as striker and Pereira on the right. Would be amazing if they could get a chance in the League Cup to play together and see how they handle it in a competitive match.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oh, but he still can't get minutes in the first team. Januzaj & Wilson look awesome in the reserves too, btw.
Another CM didn't get many minutes in the first team either. Anyway the guy is a good talent, and thats why people are talking about him, including LVG.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Another CM didn't get many minutes in the first team either. Anyway the guy is a good talent, and thats why people are talking about him, including LVG.
That's great, but my original point was that we have over 1,300 posts on someone who has barely played in the first team.

Edit: tbf, it seems about par looking at the other player's performance threads.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
away with Brazil u20s so maybe we won't get to see him at all now in the "almost dead rubber" games.

Eric'sCollar

Bumped into him last night. I was wearing a United jacket standing at a set of traffic lights and heard a guy say Manchester and smile, after a second glance, it clicked who it was. Was a nice enough guy and was surprised he was happy to chat a little.

Going to see him play tomorrow when they play Portugal in a friendly. Will be good to see him play live.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Bumped into him last night. I was wearing a United jacket standing at a set of traffic lights and heard a guy say Manchester and smile, after a second glance, it clicked who it was. Was a nice enough guy and was surprised he was happy to chat a little.

Going to see him play tomorrow when they play Portugal in a friendly. Will be good to see him play live.
:lol: That's bloody brilliant. I pictured him as you would a little kid who doesn't know how to speak English but knows Manchester United so just keeps saying Manchester and smiling.

Eric'sCollar

:lol: That's bloody brilliant. I pictured him as you would a little kid who doesn't know how to speak English but knows Manchester United so just keeps saying Manchester and smiling.
It was a little like that :lol: but his English was fine for basic conversation.

Eric'sCollar

Just home from watching Brazil v Portugal 20s. Pereira played the first half, everything Brazil did went through him. Such a good performance was disappointed to see him taken off but it was only a friendly.

Jonno

Brilliant!

All I can picture is the little Greek kid in the Inbetweeners Movie pointing at Jay's shorts shouting "MANCHESTER".... you didnt throw non-swimmer Pereira into a swimming pool did you?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Andreas Pereira knows a thing or two about red devils. Having spent his adolescence representing Les Diables Rouges from U-15 to U-18 level, the Belgian-born youngster opted for a different breed when he joined the Red Devils of Manchester United in 2011. There, he has already started carving out his own little corner of heaven after being named the club's most exciting prospect in 2014/15, although thoughts of club football are currently far from the talented midfielder's mind.

In New Zealand for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, Andreas Pereira has his head in the clouds all the same. Poised to parade his skills on the global stage, he will nonetheless be representing the country of his parents at the finals. "I'm delighted to be here and I can't wait for this World Cup to begin," he said. "I'm so proud to be able to represent Brazil in this competition."

The story of how he came to choose the South American side has much to do with his father, Marcos Pereira, a former forward who spent his entire career in Belgium with the likes of Mechelen and Royal Antwerp. Andreas Pereira hails originally from Duffel in the province of Antwerp, but his father has been a major influence, helping him progress as a player and plot his path in the game – which led ultimately to the 20-year-old choosing Brazil over Belgium in 2014. "It was a natural decision," he said. "With my parents being both Brazilian, I feel Brazilian as well – nothing more and nothing less."

His way of playing merely reinforces that idea, with his slick technique and little tricks instantly conjuring an air of Jogo Bonito. Wearing the No10 shirt, Andreas Pereira is an entertainer on the ball, capable of building moves, laying on sublime assists and weighing in with goals of his own. "I have to admit that I feel closer to Brazilian football than Belgian football," he explained. "The two mentalities have nothing in common, the culture isn't the same and the football is different. The Belgium team are good, but Brazil are the best team in the world."

At U-20 World Cup level, the South American giants are certainly among the most successful sides in the competition's history. Brazil have appeared in 16 of the tournament's 18 editions, missing out only at Japan 1979 and Turkey 2013, and they have lifted the trophy five times – just one less than Argentina. Needless to say, Andreas Pereira is determined that he and his team-mates draw level with their arch-rivals. "We've come to New Zealand with just one goal in mind: the title. Of course we have to take every match as it comes, but that's our ambition."

Van Gaal praise
Although he is focused on the task at hand, Andreas Pereira has another burning ambition as well – to break through with the Red Devils. Chief orchestrator for Manchester United's reserve team, Andreas Pereira has not yet had a chance to prove his worth in the Premier League, save for a cameo appearance at Old Trafford on 15 March when he came on for Juan Mata during a 3-0 defeat of Tottenham Hotspur. "I'm very proud of my time at United," he said. "I think I did a good job this season and I was rewarded for that. I just hope it continues and, of course, that I get into the first team."

Crucially, the young Brazilian has United manager Louis van Gaal firmly in his camp. "Andreas has everything you need to become a full member of the first team," the Dutchman explained recently, when the midfielder put pen to paper on a contract extension. "He has natural talent combined with a real thirst to learn. I'm delighted with his progress this season and I can't wait to keep working with him to develop his talent even more."

The respect flows both ways, with Andreas Pereira thrilled with the direction his career has taken since he swapped PSV Eindhoven for United four years ago. "He's a great coach," said the Brazil schemer. "I like the way he acts towards me: he's giving me my chance. We speak in English, or sometimes in Flemish, and we really have a great rapport."

The youngster's time at Old Trafford has also been made easier by the attitude of his team-mates, with Belgian dynamo Adnan Januzaj and Brazilian full-back Rafael proving especially welcoming. "I have no problems with any of my colleagues. They're all friends, though Adnan and Rafael are possibly the two players I get along with the best," he noted, before adding with a grin: "But don't go thinking that's just because of their nationality."

Despite the protests, Andreas Pereira's Brazilian heritage and Belgian education have undoubtedly been vital to his development, blending to make him the talented playmaker who cannot wait to prove his worth in New Zealand. "I think I've taken the positives from all the cultures I've grown up with," he added. "They've made me the player I am today." The rest of the world is about to find out exactly what that entails.
http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/new...ra-a-red-devil-in-seventh-heaven-2610867.html

Status
Not open for further replies.