Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
on the pitch, the first pre-season match is in 22 days. very happy with the business so far this summer.
my apologies old son, misread!

can't wait either, a little bored with the world cup now, though that feels sacrilege to say!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
my apologies old son, misread!

can't wait either, a little bored with the world cup now, though that feels sacrilege to say!
You an England fan Sandi, or was your team there?

I suppose the plus about not havin your country there competing, is that you're not stressed to bits watchin it. Us Irish can just sit, have a few beers & enjoy the footie without a care in the world - hopefully we'll qualify for the next Euro's in France though. That would be great to go to see & show you's folk how to party too.. :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You an England fan Sandi, or was your team there?

I suppose the plus about not havin your country there competing, is that you're not stressed to bits watchin it. Us Irish can just sit, have a few beers & enjoy the footie without a care in the world - hopefully we'll qualify for the next Euro's in France though. That would be great to go to see & show you's folk how to party too.. :)
Yep England fan unfortunately. And, worst thing was I wasn't at all disappointed when we went out. Every other tournament I can remember has been a real blow. This time, just nothing. Probably, as even though we'd had the bad luck with that dodgy Gerrard header falling right to Suarez, I knew we couldn't really have any complaints as we'd stunk it up.

Early group games I was loving. 3rd game in each group it was getting a little dull, as waiting for the knockouts. Knockouts, apart from a couple of games it's been a bit stale
Hoping the dutch do some magic tonight.

NMF

As much as I'd want us to sign Di Maria it's unlikely we're in for him. He'll probably end up at PSG.

LR7

It wouldn't surprise me if we were in for him, but I think we would baulk at the price Madrid seem to want.

MDFC Manager

Please let him be the marquee signing that Woody is apparently looking for, instead of Cavani!

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think he'd be perfect for Van Gaal's system. Can play out wide or through the middle, and will give us the pace we've been missing.

If Madrid really do want to sell, we should be in for him.

SlyFiz

Could be very similar to Bayern and Robben if this one goes through. Wasn't LVG the manager then as well?

Trizy

A front 3 of Januzaj, RVP and Di Maria with Mata playing to them would be frightening. Di Maria is a game changer, if we're not in for him after our non-interest in Sanchez then I'll be worried.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A front 3 of Januzaj, RVP and Di Maria with Mata playing to them would be frightening. Di Maria is a game changer, if we're not in for him after our non-interest in Sanchez then I'll be worried.
Indeed. We need a player of this mould to win us games, to be completely fair in a perfect world we'd go for both Di Maria and Sanchez - both seemingly available below their market value.

Mister Ed

I hope we can get him, bit if PSG is interested I can see him snubbing us to join them.

Knowing our luck Kroos and James go to Madrid, Di Maria goes to PSG, Sanchez ends up at Arsenal, Cuadrado moves to Barcelona and finally Vidal choses to go to Bayern and we are left empty handed again.

Utd7

I hope we can get him, bit if PSG is interested I can see him snubbing us to join them.

Knowing our luck Kroos and James go to Madrid, Di Maria goes to PSG, Sanchez ends up at Arsenal, Cuadrado moves to Barcelona and finally Vidal choses to go to Bayern and we are left empty handed again.
For the exception of Sanchez who might end up at Juventus, I think this is exactly how this summer is going to unfold. A merry go round of world class players change teams and we don't end up with any.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think if we fail to sign Vidal we'll turn our attention to di Maria as our marquee signing. I don't see us signing both, that'd be close to £100 million.

legball

I don't get the hype with Di Maria. He's a good player but he's incredibly erratic in equal measure. Please don't tell me I haven't seen him play, I watch almost all of Real Madrid games.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't get the hype with Di Maria. He's a good player but he's incredibly erratic in equal measure. Please don't tell me I haven't seen him play, I watch almost all of Real Madrid games.
I agree, I find him to be quite inconsistent and frustrating at times. I'd like us to sign him, but this may well be down to the fact our current wingers are as useful as Anne Frank's drum kit.

RetroStu

I think if we fail to sign Vidal we'll turn our attention to di Maria as our marquee signing. I don't see us signing both, that'd be close to £100 million.
Yeah every time i see Di Maria, he's either absolutely brilliant or god awful. I'd still rather Di Maria than that lump Cavani though, its frustrating that we are linked so heavily to him.

Petr1

Yeah every time i see Di Maria, he's either absolutely brilliant or god awful. I'd still rather Di Maria than that lump Cavani though, its frustrating that we are linked so heavily to him.
We just keep Nani then? :nervous:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't believe he's just 26. Seems to have been around for a good while. I'd love for us to sign him. Especially if we play him the way ancelotti has. I like this energiser bunny version of him much more than an out and out attacker/winger.

Petr1

I wish we was keeping Nani, i'd rather have Nani than Young and arguably Valencia. Nani could thrive under Van Gaal.
I feel that Nani's decision making is the area of his game that keeps letting him down. Angel is slightly better in this aspect.
Yea i think many of the last seasons underachieving players can thrive under van Gaal. I wouldnt mind seeing Young and Nani getting new chances, but its up to the big man himself to decide. Valencia is a very handy squad player who we should keep.

I agree @Red Comet, but still hoping to see Nani playing for United like he did in 09-11.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Comparing Di Maria's consistency to Nani's is ridiculous. He's a far better player.
Exactly. His first season was good, his second fantastic and his last one outstanding. Only his third season wasn't that good and still that was better than anything Valencia, Nani and Young produced together in the last few months. Di Maria would be a hell of a signing and his sell would be totally bananas from Real, if they will really do it to sign James.

That doesn't make di Maria consistent or even not frustrating, there are some similarities in their game.
It's just wrong, because he is even on his bad days much better than Nani. Robben or Ribery are frustrating too sometimes. Rooney is the king of the frustrating players (maybe first place together with Özil), but everyone of them is 2 levels above Nani. So even if they don't show us their best form in every game, a comparison with Nani, who was pretty useless the last few months, is just completely wrong for me.

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Exactly. His first season was good, his second fantastic and his last one outstanding. Only his third season wasn't that good and still that was better than anything Valencia, Nani and Young produced together in the last few months. Di Maria would be a hell of a signing and his sell would be totally bananas from Real, if they will really do it to sign James.
Knowing Real, being totally bananas is their thing!

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Knowing Real, being totally bananas is their thing!
Yeah that's true. I am pretty sure, if they do it, Di Maria will be another Robben, Sneijder, Cambiasso, Makelele...^^
James is a great player, but I don't think he suits Real system at the moment, where should he play? Number 10 in front of Modric and Kroos with Bale and Ronaldo on the wings, that would be again a galactico team without any balance. Di Maria is perfect for them. But yeah let them do their thing, it's time that we get one of their players :D

NoLogo

Last season was actually the only season Di Maria really convinced me for a prolonged period of time. Before that he was pretty much like Nani and could have a few superb games and went into hiding for another 10 afterwards. Really frustrating to watch at times.

Actually I think moving him into a central midfield position with the freedom to venture forward and into the space that Ronaldo vacated did him a lots of favors. A lot of the midfielders he is facing have real trouble dealing with his pace and dribbling ability something that most fullbacks seemed to be able to handle better. But he also convinced on the wings the few times he played there this season and the most important part imo was that he consistently played on a very high level with only a few off-days.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Christ I'd love us to get this lad because he's just made for the Prem and made for United. Utter class player. Please let it happen.

Raul Madrid

And accurately so. We were apparently trying to resign him the time.
What I meant was that he seemed very sure that Ronaldo would leave. I think he is a good journalist but he seems to get a lot of moves wrong. He could be right this time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.