5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

If he don't play this season it will be a farce. and I could easily see him play for Barcelona in the near future and embarass us like Pogba at Juve if he's not renewed.

Onerealunited

He has one year of contract. We should let him play many games in the beginning of the season to convince him that he is a man for the further and then as soon as possible sign a contract. If he do not sign a contract after max 10 games then there is no reason in playing him more

jesperjaap

I hope Gomes realises his situation and remains patient, but it must be tough seeing kids like Greenwood jump into the first team at 17.

I hate to say it but he would probably be best at somewhere like Barca, he would suit their football to the ground.

Gomes is Mancunian though, he has a strong Manc accent and I hope he feels rooted here. Fingers crossed he gets a fair chance and will replace Mata in the future. Look at how patient Lingard had to be also, he was arguably even less physical.
Do you genuinely think he would get more first team football minutes at Barcelona than here?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do you genuinely think he would get more first team football minutes at Barcelona than here?
It all depends on our management, but I think he’d get more protection in Spain and he’d suit their style of play more. He could happily play as a Cm in a Barcelona midfield.

I think he’s ready to start a few games for us too, I hope he gets to play a few full match in EL/cup games.

It seems we’re happy to play him LW but he’d be best at the 10.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wonder what happens to him if we really do sign Dybala, surely he'd have to view his future elsewhere then?

jesperjaap

Think he loves the club, wants to stay, will and will sign a new contract. Also lets not get carried away by some preseason cameos, it is only preseason. He is just 19, not many players get regular football at a big club at that age, still plenty of time.

I am in agreement tough with the frustration. COuldnt understand why he wasnt getting opportunities as far back as the PSG game when we were actually playing well. He obviously has great technical ability and I do think the club have made the wrong decisions in:

1) Giving Mata a new contract. Lovely guy, good footballer, very professional.....never wanted him in the first place. Yet another number 10 we signed when we were never playing a system to accomodate one. He was brillitant for a season at Chelsea, wasnt he a record signing at the time for us too? Bad transfer in the first place, then he has been poor for 18months and we give him a new contract? Supposedly partly to continue after his playing career?....Why, come back after your career finishes but he should have been let free or sold cheap, wages off the books and a free space in the squad to be replaced at a cost of nothing by one of our youngsters

2) The free space. Ole seems to be giving the cameo opportunities to Chong so far. Also very young and needs time to improve, but personal opinion. I just dont see a player in Chong, great heart and enthusiasm, direct and workrate...but I know its partly growing to do and lack of strength, partly trying too hard to impress...but he doesnt look intelligent or gifted to me on the ball, always looks like he will lose it. I am not sure what Ole is seeing in him over Gomes opportunity wise

3) Not managing or possibly even trying to move on Sanchez - Been a huge fan of Sanchez as a player right back to Udinese, think he is a genuinely world class player for club and country, sadly he has been abysmal for us and he is on £500k a week for 18 months, it isnt working. He just doesnt seem to have the burst of pace or trickery...a lot f it sees mental, liek he is trying too hard and not enjoying it at all. This is another palyer blockign opportunities for Goes in an area we are already well stacked.

I hope we use Gomes as back up to Dybala/Fernandes if either come as a number 10 and should also get opportunities on the left and if we ditch the double pivot as a cm....but we still have deadwood in all those areas blocking his path

Like others are saying he should be getting minutes over several other players that are not good enough or inconsistent so what is to lose? Only know if he is good enough playing him, the talent is there and if other experienced players are inconsistent the teenage inconsistency you get isnt a worry anyway.

Far too early to talk of him as a starter just becuase of preseason.....but hope it doesnt become to late to talk of him getting opportunities as the season progresses, otherwise a new contract could be meaningless anyway

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
We're not allowed nice things at this club anymore so he'll leave :rolleyes:

Seriously i hope he stays. Its stupid how other players get more minutes over him when hes clearly better than Mata and Lingard at this stage.

izec

Needs to play much more.

He is fantastic, outperforms Mata and Lingard at every outing. He knows how good he is, holding him back will lead to him leaving

In Rainbows

I'm already struggling to think of anybody in the current squad who can match his close control or ability to change direction. I think the penalty was pretty telling about his mentality, as well.

Was interesting to see the difference between him and Greenwood taking pens. Greenwood looked like he was facing a firing squad and had relief written all over his face when he'd scored. Gomes just sauntered up and twatted it in the top corner like it was nothing.
I've seen Greenwood miss a couple of pens for the youth teams. I've only ever seen Gomes miss once. His conversion rate for pens is really good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wonder what happens to him if we really do sign Dybala, surely he'd have to view his future elsewhere then?
Don't think it impacts him. None of Gomes/Greenwood or Chong are ready to be regular starters anyway, they're 17/18/19 years old with barely any first team minutes. Dybala will be a front 3 players, I see Gomes as a part of the midfield more who can play wide left or as a 10. The people who will directly block his minutes are Mata, Pereira and probably Lingard.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't think it impacts him. None of Gomes/Greenwood or Chong are ready to be regular starters anyway, they're 17/18/19 years old with barely any first team minutes. Dybala will be a front 3 players, I see Gomes as a part of the midfield more who can play wide left or as a 10. The people who will directly block his minutes are Mata, Pereira and probably Lingard.
Thing is, I don't think Dybala will be a front 3 player, I think he'll play in the number 10 role which does seem to put him in direct competition with Gomes. I do wonder if we should try Gomes on the left wing, being able to cut in on his favoured foot combined with his unbelievable technique could be really interesting, not to mention his excellent playmaking abilities.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thing is, I don't think Dybala will be a front 3 player, I think he'll play in the number 10 role which does seem to put him in direct competition with Gomes. I do wonder if we should try Gomes on the left wing, being able to cut in on his favoured foot combined with his unbelievable technique could be really interesting, not to mention his excellent playmaking abilities.
Well I think we'll do a 4-2-3-1 most of the time with options of playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2, so I can see Gomes playing as part of a midfield 3 in either of those 2 scenarios, while in a 4-2-3-1 can be either the #10 or on the left. So in all of those, he has a long term route that isn't blocked by Dybala. Besides, he's only 18, Dybala is 25. Things change quickly in football, so it's not like we're going to ignore any attacking signing because we have promising 18 year olds. They're still so young that they still need to actually step up and get squad player roles first before they're thinking of becoming every day starters for the club. I have no doubt that they'll be able to step up eventually, but they're a few years away from being ready to start every week. Until then, the likes of Greenwood and Gomes are likely going to be rotating around the team in different positions for underperforming players (not like we've had a shortage of those in recent years), and coming in for starts in the cup games most likely. Which is fine. Nothing I'd be concerned about tbh.

fergie_god

This kid is the most ready to play for the first team out of the youth players that went on your. He has all the basics down of knowing what passes to play, when to dribble, and be effective. Mason has had the bigger highlights but you can see that his overall gameplay needs a lot of work.

Mr Smith

This kid is the most ready to play for the first team out of the youth players that went on your. He has all the basics down of knowing what passes to play, when to dribble, and be effective. Mason has had the bigger highlights but you can see that his overall gameplay needs a lot of work.
This is my feeling as well. I like Greenwood a lot, but he is raw. Gomes looks so composed on the ball; he looks 28 rather than 18. Of all our academy players that are coming through, I'm most certain that he'll make it and I really hope we give him some decent minutes.

Mr PG

A natural footballer. Feck the size and play natural footballers and see what happens. For too long we have tried players who were athletes first football second... yesterday I’m looking at you Jones and Smalling.

POF

A natural footballer. Feck the size and play natural footballers and see what happens. For too long we have tried players who were athletes first football second... yesterday I’m looking at you Jones and Smalling.
Yes because the physique required to be a centre back is completely comparable to a creative attacking player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's obvious he's United through and through but he has his career to think of. This kid can be anything.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's obvious he's United through and through but he has his career to think of. This kid can be anything.
I agree. I hope Ole does not feck this up. I cant stand that he talks big about youth yet lacks bravery by playing Lingard and Mata

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He looks so much better and ready to play for first team. Hope we give him few starts too, especially in Europa league.

Extending Mata might bite us big time, especially if Gomes doesn't get many mins.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know he is still young, but we are we not playing him more, and more importantly, why do we let his contract left running 1 year without extending it?
He is our best young talent.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole seriously needs to be asked in the next press conference why Mata and Periera get game time ahead of Gomes. I don't want to hear anything about his age when the other two have been consistently poor for us for a while now.

Gomes has impressed in every cameo. Its one thing to not really get a look in because of Dybala/Bruno but for a has been like Mata or an average Pereira its criminal.
It reminds me of the time when out of position Park and Rafael is chosen ahead of young Pogba in midfield, which force him out eventually.

Pughnichi

Experience is overrated.
On the pitch i agree wholeheartedly. Off the pitch however they will need some guidance and as much as none of us want to see Young starting, he does apparently have a huge influence in the changing room. Which is fine cos he does seem a decent bloke.

Rashford 3 seasons ago seemed a humble Manchester lad who just wanted to play football and score goals. Seemingly influenced by that poisonous manchild Lingard and he struts around like he’s goat

Just to add, I am wanting Gomes to be afforded Mata’s and Lingard’s minutes. This kid is special...likewise Greenwood who I genuinely believe is actually already a better striker than Rashford

SpyLuke10

Think he loves the club, wants to stay, will and will sign a new contract. Also lets not get carried away by some preseason cameos, it is only preseason. He is just 19, not many players get regular football at a big club at that age, still plenty of time.

I am in agreement tough with the frustration. COuldnt understand why he wasnt getting opportunities as far back as the PSG game when we were actually playing well. He obviously has great technical ability and I do think the club have made the wrong decisions in:

1) Giving Mata a new contract. Lovely guy, good footballer, very professional.....never wanted him in the first place. Yet another number 10 we signed when we were never playing a system to accomodate one. He was brillitant for a season at Chelsea, wasnt he a record signing at the time for us too? Bad transfer in the first place, then he has been poor for 18months and we give him a new contract? Supposedly partly to continue after his playing career?....Why, come back after your career finishes but he should have been let free or sold cheap, wages off the books and a free space in the squad to be replaced at a cost of nothing by one of our youngsters

2) The free space. Ole seems to be giving the cameo opportunities to Chong so far. Also very young and needs time to improve, but personal opinion. I just dont see a player in Chong, great heart and enthusiasm, direct and workrate...but I know its partly growing to do and lack of strength, partly trying too hard to impress...but he doesnt look intelligent or gifted to me on the ball, always looks like he will lose it. I am not sure what Ole is seeing in him over Gomes opportunity wise

3) Not managing or possibly even trying to move on Sanchez - Been a huge fan of Sanchez as a player right back to Udinese, think he is a genuinely world class player for club and country, sadly he has been abysmal for us and he is on £500k a week for 18 months, it isnt working. He just doesnt seem to have the burst of pace or trickery...a lot f it sees mental, liek he is trying too hard and not enjoying it at all. This is another palyer blockign opportunities for Goes in an area we are already well stacked.

I hope we use Gomes as back up to Dybala/Fernandes if either come as a number 10 and should also get opportunities on the left and if we ditch the double pivot as a cm....but we still have deadwood in all those areas blocking his path

Like others are saying he should be getting minutes over several other players that are not good enough or inconsistent so what is to lose? Only know if he is good enough playing him, the talent is there and if other experienced players are inconsistent the teenage inconsistency you get isnt a worry anyway.

Far too early to talk of him as a starter just becuase of preseason.....but hope it doesnt become to late to talk of him getting opportunities as the season progresses, otherwise a new contract could be meaningless anyway
I agree with you on Tahith Chong, I just don't get that vibe that he is gonna be special. Sure he could turn out be a very good player, maybe Douglas Costa level as an example. But Greenwood and Gomes, they are just levels if you know what I mean. They both seem to just ooze class. Greenwood has the potential to be the best in his position in world football and so does Gomes.

tldr: Chong potential = Probably Douglas Costa or thereabouts. Gomes and Greenwood potential = Robben, Bale, Hazard, possibly even better. (I know they aren't the same position I just wanted them to all be wingers for comparison. Douglas Costa is still a fantastic player, or at least was at one point in time)

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ole needs to be brave and use this kid. Stop giving his minutes away to the old ones.
One thing about LVG, he would have given him more minutes imho.

It would be a shame if we lost him because we're dithering with the old players and not being brave with our talented youth.

Ekeke

I dont think its the end of the world for him to be getting games on the left, as long as he gets regular playing time. Modric in his first season in the premier league played on the left for Spurs.

However the player he reminds me of when he plays from the left is Isco. We looked so much more dangerous when he, Greenwood and Lingard came on

-Supreme-

I agree with you on Tahith Chong, I just don't get that vibe that he is gonna be special. Sure he could turn out be a very good player, maybe Douglas Costa level as an example. But Greenwood Gomes, they are just levels if you know what I mean. They both seem to just ooze class. Greenwood has the potential to be the best in his position in world football and so does Gomes.

tldr: Chong potential = Probably Douglas Costa or thereabouts. Gomes and Greenwood potential = Robben, Bale, Hazard, possibly even better. (I know they aren't the same position I just wanted them to all be wingers for comparison. Douglas Costa is still a fantastic player, or at least was at one point in time)
D Costa was one of the top wingers during his time at Munich so if he reaches anywhere to his level then I'd be extremely happy

Ekeke

Why? Dybala is a striker/CF

Bruno Fernandes is the one who would play in CM where Gomes might otherwise get games, and certainly would in the future

Bestietom

Age or size don't matter if your good enough. 17/18 year olds are ready to go in football now. There is much more protection in the game now than years ago. This kid is good and make no mistake, if he don't get games here others will be hunting him.

rotherham_red

No he wouldn't. Riqui Puig and Carles Alena are in the same predicament as Gomes. In fact, they have it even harder because FDJ has joined.

I think he knows and trusts the club to handle his development in the best possible way. We have a track record in bringing kids like Gomes through in much harder and trying circumstances than what he is facing right now. The fact of the matter is he's 18, and he's already had valuable first team experience and is now considered to be a full time member of the squad. Most of his contemporaries would still be at the U-23s at this point.

Fracture90

His body and ball control when he was nephewing 4-5 players in Milan's box…boy, oh boy that was something.

If we end up bringing in Dybala or Fernandes, can't shake the feeling he'll end up at Barcelona.

Castia

Needs to be in and around the first team, his deal runs out next year too he looks like a very talented player.

Status
Not open for further replies.