Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't think he could look more ready - Greenwood to a slightly lesser extent too.

Very surprised Chong got as many if not more minutes over the preseason.

Prongsy

Relax, he'll stay. He came on at the same time that Greenwood did today. Same as what Chong had in the last game, which indicates that while Greenwood is deservedly the apple of everyone's eye, Gomes and Chong are considered to be his peers by the management.

He'll have his opportunities in the Europa League and I'm sure he'll force his way in to the reckoning by Christmas if he carries on this form.

Atm he's guaranteed a regular spot on the bench at the very least simply because we haven't bought any midfielders in and his versatility of playing any attacking role (beside striker) and any midfield role, means he'll likely get much more minutes than otherwise.

Also, look at his social media activity. Does that look like the activity of a boy who's unhappy? He genuinely loves the club.

His slight frame also means that he needs to be patient - not to the extent that Lingard or even Scholes were, but definitely enough to be content with regular substitute appearances and occasional starts before he's fully filled out.
This.

He'll be alright.

pascell

We simply can't hold the boy back, he's ready, he was the only one that looked real quality in that attack. The attack in the 1st half was completely toothless, we looked like we had no cohesion whatsoever, those last 20 we looked much more fluid and as if we had actual ideas.

El Jefe

Ole seriously needs to be asked in the next press conference why Mata and Periera get game time ahead of Gomes. I don't want to hear anything about his age when the other two have been consistently poor for us for a while now.

Gomes has impressed in every cameo. Its one thing to not really get a look in because of Dybala/Bruno but for a has been like Mata or an average Pereira its criminal.

dutchred

He is as talented as Fodden and look at how many minutes Fodden had in the City midfield last year. And Fodden has better competition in midfield than Angel

ash_86

Oozes class and looks ready more than anyone else. If Ole doesn't give him game time, then I will be very disappointed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole better not screw this up. This lad leaving while we enjoy watching Lingard and Mata for the next three years is not something we can afford.

Red Rash

Ole seriously needs to be asked in the next press conference why Mata and Periera get game time ahead of Gomes. I don't want to hear anything about his age when the other two have been consistently poor for us for a while now.

Gomes has impressed in every cameo. Its one thing to not really get a look in because of Dybala/Bruno but for a has been like Mata or an average Pereira its criminal.
I think Ole is trying to manage him as well as he can. He is only 18 and still very small. Very few players become regulars at that age so we have nothing to worry about

The fact Ole brought him on tour and Gomes doing well means he must be in Ole's thoughts

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm already struggling to think of anybody in the current squad who can match his close control or ability to change direction. I think the penalty was pretty telling about his mentality, as well.

Was interesting to see the difference between him and Greenwood taking pens. Greenwood looked like he was facing a firing squad and had relief written all over his face when he'd scored. Gomes just sauntered up and twatted it in the top corner like it was nothing.

R'hllor

If your only deflecting mechanism is to spam "He is not ready!" "He is __ years old", you are a sheep.

K13

He is as talented as Fodden and look at how many minutes Fodden had in the City midfield last year. And Fodden has better competition in midfield than Angel
Gomes is 19 later this month so only only 4 months younger than Foden who has already played important games for Man City and England U21.

I honestly don't think he will be as good as Foden but if he gets a few starts this season in the cup games and Europe then who knows.

Litch

Great Cameo. Like to see him get more confidence through first team appearances even if from the bench.

dutchred

Gomes is 19 later this month so only only 4 months younger than Foden who has already played important games for Man City and England U21.

I honestly don't think he will be as good as Foden but if he gets a few starts this season in the cup games and Europe then who knows.
I disagree I think he is as good as Fodden. Fodden has been given more chances and as a result got into the England under 21. Angel had virtually no chnaces last season even when we were struggling

K13

I disagree I think he is as good as Fodden. Fodden has been given more chances and as a result got into the England under 21. Angel had virtually no chnaces last season even when we were struggling
I guess time will tell. Would be very happy though if he was able to reach the heights of Foden.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I guess time will tell. Would be very happy though if he was able to reach the heights of Foden.
Foden looks a good prospect don't get me wrong.

But he's hit no such 'heights' yet.

Classical Mechanic

As an avid watcher of the England youth teams I'd agree with you that their talent level is the same. I've got a lot of stick for this opinion on here before but I've always found the difference between the two to be Foden's physicality. He can run all game and is quicker and more explosive than Gomes, especially on the turn. Foden is kind of like a coiled spring. I'd say that Gomes technical ability is higher although Foden is very good in that regard too.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If your only deflecting mechanism is to spam "He is not ready!" "He is __ years old", you are a sheep.
Have any posters actually said this or words to that effect? The common theme seems to be that he’s ready to be part of the first team squad, not that he’s too young.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Offering Mata a new contract was just a waste of everyone’s time, every minute he’s getting should be going to Gomes.

K13

Foden looks a good prospect don't get me wrong.

But he's hit no such 'heights' yet.
They are pretty much the same age. One has appeared 18 times for the Champions inc important end of season games and been the stand out player in the England u21's. The other has appeared 3 times for us.

So if Gomes is good enough to play more for us then he will and then International u21 caps should follow so it would be fair to say that the next step is can he do that.

Joeace2020

A lot of what Ole does is mirroring What Ferguson does. If you can answer the question what will Fergie do with Gomes? You will discover what Ole will do with this lad.

Joeace2020

Mata's contract renewal for all purpose and intent was more about having old heads to bed in the young lads like Gomes than having to rely mostly on him this season to be honest. I commend Ole for not repeating the mistake of LVG who basically destroyed every piece of the old guard the club desperately needed at a time of transition. As much as we want Ole to bin Mata, Young, Jones right away, they'll still be around the team for quite a while based on experience for the youths coming through and nothing else.

C'est Moi Cantona

A lot of what Ole does is mirroring What Ferguson does. If you can answer the question what will Fergie do with Gomes? You will discover what Ole will do with this lad.
If he's good enough, he's old enough?

In which case he should stick around.

RedStarUnited

Mata's contract renewal for all purpose and intent was more about having old heads to bed in the young lads like Gomes than having to rely mostly on him this season to be honest. I commend Ole for not repeating the mistake of LVG who basically destroyed every piece of the old guard the club desperately needed at a time of transition. As much as we want Ole to bin Mata, Young, Jones right away, they'll still be around the team for quite a while based on experience for the youths coming through and nothing else.
Experience is overrated.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Halayoula someone who gets it

Anyone who thinks the likes of Mata and Young are being kept around solely because of their on the field impact are incredibly short sighted, they're model professionals and set the right examples behind the scenes to the academy players. Young signed a new contract yet that didn't stop us immediately buying AWB did it?

Buying players like Dybala and Fernandes are going to be more of an issue for Gomes breaking through than us extending Mata's contract

SteveW

I'm already struggling to think of anybody in the current squad who can match his close control or ability to change direction. I think the penalty was pretty telling about his mentality, as well.

Was interesting to see the difference between him and Greenwood taking pens. Greenwood looked like he was facing a firing squad and had relief written all over his face when he'd scored. Gomes just sauntered up and twatted it in the top corner like it was nothing.
Greenwood stroked it in with his weaker foot mate.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If that’s the case just bring back Giggs as player. Nothing worse than a player who produced 3 league goals & 2 assists.

Eddy_JukeZ

He has the best technique in the squad arguably.

The ball just sticks to his feet.

I'm a big fan. Hopefully we get a contract extension finalized soon.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Did more in 10 minutes than Mata has managed all tour. The club makes odd decisions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Was interesting to see the difference between him and Greenwood taking pens. Greenwood looked like he was facing a firing squad and had relief written all over his face when he'd scored. Gomes just sauntered up and twatted it in the top corner like it was nothing
:houllier:
That's just Greenwood's standard resting face. He scored the pen with his slightly weaker foot ffs :lol: Both are absolutely brilliant youngsters though. As promising as we've had in ages.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
What a fecking penalty! Was at work today and just watched the highlights.

Bwuk

Some pen.

Done well in pre season but can’t see him getting games in midfield. At #10 or out wide in the cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.