5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

His body and ball control when he was nephewing 4-5 players in Milan's box…boy, oh boy that was something.

If we end up bringing in Dybala or Fernandes, can't shake the feeling he'll end up at Barcelona.
That shouldn't hold us back from bringing in anyone. Sign them up. Competition is great and we will have injuries. Strength in depth make a good team even better.

Fracture90

That shouldn't hold us back from bringing in anyone. Sign them up. Competition is great and we will have injuries. Strength in depth make a good team even better.
Amen to that, but I fear that he won't get that many chances to prove himself considering he's (albeit it was pre-season) behind the likes of Lingard, Mata and Pereira in the pecking order.

Reddy Rederson

His body and ball control when he was nephewing 4-5 players in Milan's box…boy, oh boy that was something.

If we end up bringing in Dybala or Fernandes, can't shake the feeling he'll end up at Barcelona.
All I could think watching that was that hes gonna be the next big name in football. A few years from now his will be the name on everyones lips when talking about goats.

POF

He has clearly been identified as a first team player of the future. Along with Greenwood, Chong and Garner they have been involved with the first team for over a year now.

If he refuses to sign a contract and leaves the club due to lack of opportunities then it will be on him rather than the club. He's the poster boy for the revamped academy and the club is actively pushing for him to be a first team regular of the future.

It's his career and his prerogative as to his preferred path. But if he wants to be a first team player at United, he will be as long as he is good enough and is patient.

Fracture90

All I could think watching that was that hes gonna be the next big name in football. A few years from now his will be the name on everyones lips when talking about goats.
Beautiful piece of skill. Im optimistic, but cautiously optimistic.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'll play in the Europa League and league cup to start with, and possibly some sub appearances in the league. How he does in those games will determine how often he features in the league.

GioF

God I hope we give this kid a serious run in the team. He’s got so much potential.

What’s his status on new contract? Can’t imagine we haven’t got something in the pipeline to tie him down for 4/5 years??

Grande

Amen to that, but I fear that he won't get that many chances to prove himself considering he's (albeit it was pre-season) behind the likes of Lingard, Mata and Pereira in the pecking order.
For how Solskjær wants us to play, I believe he is still behind Lingard (who looks much better now he’s well trained again), but already ahead of Mata in his general play. Mainly because his press play is better than Mata’s but not as good as Lingard’s.

He’s got more in his locker than them, but is still more shy when it comes to relly make play/playmake, IMO. He’s close enough though. I think if we started the season with the current squad, he’d begin as back up to Lingard or Mata. If we start the season with someone like Dybala or Fernandez in the house, by now I would expect him to be back up for them, ahead of at least Mata.

Either option would mean a lot of playing time for. 19 year old, and acceptable levels of pressure for the good of his development.

Fracture90

For how Solskjær wants us to play, I believe he is still behind Lingard (who looks much better now he’s well trained again), but already ahead of Mata in his general play. Mainly because his press play is better than Mata’s but not as good as Lingard’s.

He’s got more in his locker than them, but is still more shy when it comes to relly make play/playmake, IMO. He’s close enough though. I think if we started the season with the current squad, he’d begin as back up to Lingard or Mata. If we start the season with someone like Dybala or Fernandez in the house, by now I would expect him to be back up for them, ahead of at least Mata.

Either option would mean a lot of playing time for. 19 year old, and acceptable levels of pressure for the good of his development.
Hard to say, really, we haven't seen him in his best role (#10) that much at all, just that one short spell against Leeds, was it? He looked quite good there imo.

SirAF

Ageist
God I hope we give this kid a serious run in the team. He’s got so much potential.

What’s his status on new contract? Can’t imagine we haven’t got something in the pipeline to tie him down for 4/5 years??
Should have been tied down last year..

Grande

Hard to say, really, we haven't seen him in his best role (#10) that much at all, just that one short spell against Leeds, was it? He looked quite good there imo.
I agree, he looked very good there, and yet I wouldn’t bank my salary on that he would be able to take his level against a championship side for 45 mins of a preseason training game, into week-in-week-out 90 min displays against premiership sides ranging from West Ham to Man City. And that wouldn’t be a reasonable demand either.

I’d really want him to be able to have both mediocre and bad games without having to see one million twitter posts raging about why we didn’t buy a real no 10.

jesperjaap

No he wouldn't. Riqui Puig and Carles Alena are in the same predicament as Gomes. In fact, they have it even harder because FDJ has joined.

I think he knows and trusts the club to handle his development in the best possible way. We have a track record in bringing kids like Gomes through in much harder and trying circumstances than what he is facing right now. The fact of the matter is he's 18, and he's already had valuable first team experience and is now considered to be a full time member of the squad. Most of his contemporaries would still be at the U-23s at this point.
My thoughts too....though I do feel he deserves more opportunities than he has had so far, regardless of his age, his stunning debut was a long long tie ago and the majority of players ahead of him in the team have just been poor. Dont think he should be starting but he should definately be getting more opportunities fro the bench, hope that changes this season for sure

Fracture90

I agree, he looked very good there, and yet I wouldn’t bank my salary on that he would be able to take his level against a championship side for 45 mins of a preseason training game, into week-in-week-out 90 min displays against premiership sides ranging from West Ham to Man City. And that wouldn’t be a reasonable demand either.

I’d really want him to be able to have both mediocre and bad games without having to see one million twitter posts raging about why we didn’t buy a real no 10.
No one is expecting that from him, to hiy the ground running from the get-go, but he's undeniably talented and has shown us glimpses of what we can expect if he's been given a fair chance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone think his best position may be wide like Bernardo Silva?

Fracture90

Anyone think his best position may be wide like Bernardo Silva?
Think he should be playing as close as possible to the goal, his ball control and technique will be a nightmare for the opposition players to deal with. Can see him drawing a lot of penalty shots.

Grande

No one is expecting that from him, to hiy the ground running from the get-go, but he's undeniably talented and has shown us glimpses of what we can expect if he's been given a fair chance.
Probably most people will be reasonable, but having read a few posts on here during the last six years, there will soon enough be a ‘Gomes vs Chong’ thread for entrenched player-bashing if things are not all rosy ...

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Probably most people will be reasonable, but having read a few posts on here during the last six years, there will soon enough be a ‘Gomes vs Chong’ thread for entrenched player-bashing if things are not all rosy ...
No chance. He'll look good in a 10 minute cameo and the threads will be 'Gomes vs Messi'.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He has clearly been identified as a first team player of the future. Along with Greenwood, Chong and Garner they have been involved with the first team for over a year now.

If he refuses to sign a contract and leaves the club due to lack of opportunities then it will be on him rather than the club. He's the poster boy for the revamped academy and the club is actively pushing for him to be a first team regular of the future.

It's his career and his prerogative as to his preferred path. But if he wants to be a first team player at United, he will be as long as he is good enough and is patient.
Not necessarily. He can be patient, but we have to look like we're actually putting our faith in him. If he's not travelling with the matchday squad and has to watch Mata and Lingard putting in the same level of performances as they've done the past couple of years he'd be justified in thinking he should leave for a team that will give him more opportunities.

Fracture90

Mate you're worrying about stuff that may never happen.

Mr PG

We need more natural footballers in the team. Angel Gomes, Lindeleof, Maguire, Fred, Greenwood etc is what we should be striving for and would retain the ball a lot better and passing stats thru the roof but we need a strong manager to weed out below average players.
Matic, martial, James, Perreira Shaw mata aren’t first team players.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We need more natural footballers in the team. Angel Gomes, Lindeleof, Maguire, Fred, Greenwood etc is what we should be striving for and would retain the ball a lot better and passing stats thru the roof but we need a strong manager to weed out below average players.
You really expect to be taken seriously when you say Fred should stay and Martial/Shaw should go?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Fred :lol:

Dobba

Just play him. Him getting starts isn't going to be more detrimental to our chances this season as playing any of the alternatives we've got.

If nothing else it'll be nice to have someone playing in an United shirt who gives a shit.

Red_toad

Looking very much like he'll get some game time in the coming season, no Argentine signing means less competition in the attacking third of the pitch. It could well be a blessing in disguise, Greenwood and Angel 'should' be geting 20 odd games each.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Looking very much like he'll get some game time in the coming season, no Argentine signing means less competition in the attacking third of the pitch. It could well be a blessing in disguise, Greenwood and Angel 'should' be geting 20 odd games each.
I would love it to be the case

Realistically the likes of Mata and Lingard will be playing a lot of football

Brightonian

Just play him. Him getting starts isn't going to be more detrimental to our chances this season as playing any of the alternatives we've got.

If nothing else it'll be nice to have someone playing in an United shirt who gives a shit.
Stuff like this really annoys me. I also would much rather see Gomes starting than Lingard or worse Mata, but I don't see why you would accuse either of 'not giving a shit'.

Caftards need to stop lazily equating a lack of capacity with a lack of commitment. Mata runs his little pint-sized heart out every times he plays, and Lingard still hares around the pitch like a teenager, and is one of the players who you can always rely on to at least put a shift in when the team is playing badly.

NoPace

Think that's harsh on Shaw and optimistic on Fred.

Walters_19_MuFc

Should have had much more minutes during pre season, in my opinion. His ability on the ball is ridiculous. Very tidy player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He should be given a opportunity as the #10 with Pogba in a pivot. If it comes off then we will have creativity in abundance in central areas.

The alternative is to perservere with the underwhelming Mata snd Lingard. And see us look clueless in breaking down teams who defend in numbers.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Stuff like this really annoys me. I also would much rather see Gomes starting than Lingard or worse Mata, but I don't see why you would accuse either of 'not giving a shit'.

Caftards need to stop lazily equating a lack of capacity with a lack of commitment. Mata runs his little pint-sized heart out every times he plays, and Lingard still hares around the pitch like a teenager, and is one of the players who you can always rely on to at least put a shift in when the team is playing badly.
It’s true though, we have too many players who when the going gets tough, go missing. I wouldn’t include Mata or Lingard in that bracket, not would I include the usual caf hate figures like Jones and Young.

I echo the post you quoted, I’m looking forward to having a greater bunch of players (like Gomes) who are hurt when we lose and who give every ounce on the pitch.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Youn n learning. Tall strong lad. Plays like he gives a shit. Club rebuild. all lazy phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.