5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon S

If we don’t sign a midfielder I think he might get his chance and will impress. A midfield of him, Pogba and McT is actually quite nicely balanced although obviously it’s a hell of an ask to rely on him at his age and experience level.
Both Rashford and Martial played a lot for us when they where 19. I think Gomes has even more talent than these guys. And he does not look bothered by stepping up either.

Danni Utd

There'll be no choice but to give him minutes. We haven't exactly got big numbers. I can't wait to see him in and around the first team regularly.
Surely the pressure to play Gomes is only going to grow. He's clearly ready. Just get the boy in the team for goodness sake!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I really really like this little boy. We should start him this season.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Both Rashford and Martial played a lot for us when they where 19. I think Gomes has even more talent than these guys. And he does not look bothered by stepping up either.
As someone said, cream always rises to the top, and I have no doubt that Angel will get more and more chances as the season goes on, and every minute he plays is another step on the experience ladder. IMO he will be the first choice 10 by the end of the season, and hopefully, with a nice 5 year contract in his back pocket.

In Rainbows

For what team has he been playing as a 10? In the U19 Euros he was playing as an 8 (I think?) and also played as an 8 last night, no?

EDIT: do any of our side even play with a number 10, at any level?!
Felt like he was playing as a 10 yesterday rather than as an 8. He was clearly more advanced than Levitt and Garner. When he played for the u19s youth league, he played right next to Garner and was quite disciplined in his role, only venturing forward when needed. It was the opposite yesterday.

Rajma

Honestly, Ole will be to blame if we don’t play this kid and instead rely on the proven dross like Lingard and Mata (at this stage of his career). This one certainly would be tough to take as you can clearly see the boy is ready for some first team action.

lysglimt

Scout
Not necessarily but the most concerning thing about Gomes' situation was that only 4 players got less minutes than him over pre-season. That suggests they don't think he's ready for the first team and if he does only have 12 months left on his deal and he himself feels he is ready then the club have a fight to keep him.

A lot of academy players these days will look at what Sancho has done, he's changed the game tbh
You are correct - but luckily we have the Europa League...and he will get gametime in those matches. And if he does well there as well - he will play in the league

Justin Bieber

If we don't sign a number 10(spoiler: we wont) he has to be given the chance over what we already have. He such an exciting talent and if we lose him heads should roll.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Honestly, Ole will be to blame if we don’t play this kid and instead rely on the proven dross like Lingard and Mata (at this stage of his career). This one certainly would be tough to take as you can clearly see the boy is ready for some first team action.
He likes dross. Just look at his line ups towards the end of last season

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I’m getting confused about his position. I know he mainly played as a forward in pre-season but hasn’t he been mainly playing in central midfield? If so, maybe there’s an upside to our lack of resources in that position?
As we have seen through preseason even with the holes in the 10 position it will be Lingard and Mata getting chances there not Gomes.

Gomes didn't get to start one game in a friendly what chance does he have in competitive games?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As we have seen through preseason even with the holes in the 10 position it will be Lingard and Mata getting chances there not Gomes.

Gomes didn't get to start one game in a friendly what chance does he have in competitive games?
Of course he has a chance. Football is a squad game. Obviously, Ole will want to give established first teamers the most minutes in pre-season (especially with his emphasis on fitness) but a lot can change over the course of a long season.

SirAF

Ageist
Agreed.

LindaChang

The most talented lad in our academy imo. Yes greenwood has all the ability to be a WC no 9 but this kid is special.

Shinjch

A class act. Needs to get first team minutes and games for his own development, but also because he is already at the level of what we already have. If by the end of the season he is still behind the likes of Lingard and Pereira in the pecking order then I wouldn't blame him for looking elsewhere.

Garebo

Wondering why they rewarded Mata with a new 2 year contract, when they had Gomez and were also searching for an attacking midfielder. We should be offloading the deadwood instead of renewing their contracts.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Of course he has a chance. Football is a squad game. Obviously, Ole will want to give established first teamers the most minutes in pre-season (especially with his emphasis on fitness) but a lot can change over the course of a long season.
I struggle to understand when people have a go at the management for not playing kids over the likes of Mata or Lingard or Matic. In every organization there is a hierarchy that you can't ignore flippantly. Nowhere will you see employees earning 100k+ a week being binned for youngsters who haven't done anything at the big stage yet. Yes, there is a case that you have to give opportunities to youngsters but they have to integrated into the dressing room slowly. People underestimate the clout of senior players in the dressing room, you cannot just replace them overnight with 18-19 years old kids.

Gomes will get his chance over the course of the season but it'll be done gradually. Ole has to play the senior players first, if they underperform then he has a legitimate cause to drop them and replace them with kids. He can't drop them all at the start of the season when he has promised a clean slate for everyone.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's so good. He's so enjoyable to watch. I'm desperate to see him break into the first team this season and I'll be gutted if he leaves on a free.

I fear the worst.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Bollox. Towards the end of last season was never going to be a time for him to give kids a run out. Every other manager in his shoes would have done the same, under the pressure he found himself under. Go with experienced heads.
And exactly that turned into shitty performances. When he started, he was brave and fielded his best XI. Why play Mata and Lingard and wonder why it is not working?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I expect if we do see him in the first team it'll be against the teams that park the bus.

He will be perfect to break down the deep defences.

Untd55

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Didn't he get the least amount of minutes of the youth attackers? I get a feeling that Solskjaer doesn't rate him that highly as he seemed hesitant in playing him in preseason. Highly doubt we will see him much this season.

I think he will end up leaving for free because he won't play much; move to a team where he is brilliant; we end up wanting to sign him for £100m.

mav_9me

I struggle to understand when people have a go at the management for not playing kids over the likes of Mata or Lingard or Matic. In every organization there is a hierarchy that you can't ignore flippantly. Nowhere will you see employees earning 100k+ a week being binned for youngsters who haven't done anything at the big stage yet. Yes, there is a case that you have to give opportunities to youngsters but they have to integrated into the dressing room slowly. People underestimate the clout of senior players in the dressing room, you cannot just replace them overnight with 18-19 years old kids.

Gomes will get his chance over the course of the season but it'll be done gradually. Ole has to play the senior players first, if they underperform then he has a legitimate cause to drop them and replace them with kids. He can't drop them all at the start of the season when he has promised a clean slate for everyone.
If your argument is that seniority demands they get played then it would have been a mistake to give Mata the new contract.

In any case SAF famously binned the seniors for youth and the rest is history. Obviously doesn't mean it can be repeated or everybody has to do the same.

However you can't but your way to success as we are finding out. A key part has to be homegrown players. If you can't find gametime for players like Tuanzebe, Gomes. Greenwood we are in for a long ride.

King7Eric

If your argument is that seniority demands they get played then it would have been a mistake to give Mata the new contract.

In any case SAF famously binned the seniors for youth and the rest is history. Obviously doesn't mean it can be repeated or everybody has to do the same.

However you can't but your way to success as we are finding out. A key part has to be homegrown players. If you can't find gametime for players like Tuanzebe, Gomes. Greenwood we are in for a long ride.
We shouldn't have given a new contract, but we did and now we have to live with it. A manager can only deal with the situation in front of him, not ifs and buts. For now Mata is here and the situation has to be dealt with accordingly.

mav_9me

We shouldn't have given a new contract, but we did and now we have to live with it. A manager can only deal with the situation in front of him, not ifs and buts. For now Mata is here and the situation has to be dealt with accordingly.
But Ole was surely part of the decision making process in handing Mata a contract.

If you give Mata gametime without much gametime for Gomes you are just compounding your initial mistake of giving Mata a contract.

King7Eric

But Ole was surely part of the decision making process in handing Mata a contract.

If you give Mata gametime without much gametime for Gomes you are just compounding your initial mistake of giving Mata a contract.
It's not compounding a mistake. How many 19 year olds play for big clubs week in and week out? It's only about talent or physique but mental fragility also. Young players are more prone to lose confidence after a poor performance or so. You need older pros for this reason, so youngsters learn from them about how to cope with failure as well as success. When SAF let older players go he still had the likes of Cantona and Schmeichel in the squad, big characters who could protect the younger players. Whether you like it or not we need players like Mata in the squad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. Asking how many 19 year olds start for big clubs is the wrong question, the real question should be how many of those big clubs have Matas and Lingards playing for them instead of an immensely gifted 18/19 year old. If you're good enough you're old enough and just cause you're old enough doesn't mean you're good enough.

rotherham_red

Those youngsters you talk about Fergie binning the seniors for had 2-3 years of sub appearances before that point. SAF didn't just bin off Kanchelskis, Ince, et al like the way you're making out.

In fact, the way this situation is playing out is very similar to how Fergie blooded the Class of 92. Greenwood is the Giggs (the phenom who's physically and technically ready at 17), Gomes is the Scholes (potentially the most talented, but physically not quite there yet - his introduction is the last of all but his class ends up shining through)

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
We could have offered Mata a two year contract to keep him at the club to help develop Gomes to take over from him in due course. In reality no one knows the reasons for giving Mata a new contract, when everything pointed to Herrera being the one we would more likely keep, but Ole and the coaching staff would have had their reasons for keeping him. Not everything makes sense to us, but I have faith in Ole and the staff to do the best for the club, both short and long term, and look forward to seeing some fast moving, attacking football, with academy lads coming to the fore this, and subsequent seasons. Think Gomes, Tuanzebe and Greenwood are ready now, albeit they all need treating carefully, not overplayed. Laird looks like he could step up soon, Garner and Chong perhaps next season. I think the future is Red.

Last edited:

fps

We could have offered Mata a two year contract to keep him at the club to help develop Gomes to take over from him in due course. In reality no one knows the reasons for giving Mata a new contract, when everything pointed to Herrera being the one we would more likely keep, but Ole and the coaching staff would have had their reasons for keeping him. Not everything makes sense to us, but I have faith in Ole and the staff to do the best for the club, both short and long term, and look forward to seeing some fast moving, attacking football, with academy lads coming to the fore this, and subsequent seasons.
I reckon Ole offered Mata a new contract because he knew he was going to play with a 10 and Mata is still a very good 10. I just hope the idiot managers who have been playing him right-wing for the past 5 years haven't completely ruined his knowledge of the position.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Bollox. Towards the end of last season was never going to be a time for him to give kids a run out. Every other manager in his shoes would have done the same, under the pressure he found himself under. Go with experienced heads.
And where did that get us? Neither we've achived better results and higher place up the table, neither did youngster got much needed experience. And now that same experienced heads which had several season to prove themselves yet failed badly get new contracts and once again will take place from the younger players. Ole for all the talk has been doing the same mistakes as managers before him and he's still relying on same players (Matić, Mata, Lingard, Jones) that got us nowhere during the last few years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And where did that get us? Neither we've achived better results and higher place up the table, neither did youngster got much needed experience. And now that same experienced heads which had several season to prove themselves yet failed badly get new contracts and once again will take place from the younger players. Ole for all the talk has been doing the same mistakes as managers before him and he's still relying on same players (Matić, Mata, Lingard, Jones) that got us nowhere during the last few years.
Maybe he should have done what Van Gaal did? Picked a bunch of kids and got our arses handed to us by teams as shite as the MK Dons?

This is all if, buts and maybes but the simple fact remains that Ole did what any other manager would have done in the same scenario.

Smores

Maybe he should have done what Van Gaal did? Picked a bunch of kids and got our arses handed to us by teams as shite as the MK Dons?

This is all if, buts and maybes but the simple fact remains that Ole did what any other manager would have done in the same scenario.
Come on that's such nonsense there was plenty of scope for him to include some youngsters in those games. It's also nonsense to say other managers haven't played youth in crunch or big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.