5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

the hea

2 games now where he could have made a difference coming off the bench. We have no creative player to play behind the attackers and that is what is letting us down. Gomes is the still unproven but at least we could try him there because playing Lingard and Rashford there sure as hell isn't working.

SAFMUTD

How is he not on the bench but we insist on playing Lingard and Mata? at least with him we may get a surprise.

Untd55

Unfortunately, it is as I have thought: he will not get many games this season. I think we are going to lose him on a free in January since he can secure a move away then.

Really should be getting incorporated into the team now. I thought the whole reason for not signing anyone in attack was to bring through the youth? Evidently not. We need to play him now as Lingard is useless. I am not saying he will be amazing, but he cannot be worse than the invisible Lingard.

Lingard provides no goals, no assists, has a bad first touch, cannot dribble, is not fast. The only thing things he has going for him is running after players and decent positioning, but positioning is useless if you cannot do anything else.

I cannot see how Gomes could be any more invisible than Lingard has been for the past nine months.

Red_toad

2 games now where he could have made a difference coming off the bench. We have no creative player to play behind the attackers and that is what is letting us down. Gomes is the still unproven but at least we could try him there because playing Lingard and Rashford there sure as hell isn't working.
Could have but could have also been very ineffective like Greenwood. Who knows, but I’m sure he’ll get games..

izec

Could have but could have also been very ineffective like Greenwood. Who knows, but I’m sure he’ll get games..
He is more ready than Greenwood. Has also much more experience being 2 years older. He quite clearly had a better pre season as well

Red_toad

The point is that I'd rather see us try something new even if we loose than keep on playing the same players that we know will never be good enough.
The good old we fans know better :lol:. We know very little, just get overly involved.

Woodzy

I’d take the gamble and start him at this rate.

Fans are quickly starting to remember how poor we actually are and I think Ole needs to find something fast or it could get messy early on.

It might backfire, but I think it’s needed.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The good old we fans know better :lol:. We know very little, just get overly involved.
This club would be far better run if the fecking CAF got to vote on starting lineups and signings. We know a lot more than those in charge seem to.

rotherham_red

The amount of crying from grown men over an 18 year old... Dearie me, if I didn't know any better I'd ask the police to check your hard drives.

He's a kid, ffs. All of you lot are massively setting him up for failure with all the pressure that'll be placed on him. He needs to be introduced gradually, not immediately placed as the central fulcrum of the team. Look at Greenwood, who everyone was crying over on Monday. He was introduced early, just as you asked, and he did very little of note.

Bringing Angel through when we are playing more than a game a week is the right way to go. Our squad is ultra thin and he'll have more and more opportunities to impress as the season progresses.

the hea

If you think Lingard is good enough to be a starter for a club like United then fair enough. Personally I don't think so. I think we should aim higher and right now the only way to replace him is by playing an untested 19 year old, but I'd rather try that than keep on doing the same thing that has failed us so many times already.

0le

It isn't right to chuck him into the deep end and expect performances. What we should have done is to buy a good quality attacking midfielder and have Gomes as the understudy to the new signing.

Red_toad

If you think Lingard is good enough to be a starter for a club like United then fair enough. Personally I don't think so. I think we should aim higher and right now the only way to replace him is by playing an untested 19 year old, but I'd rather try that than keep on doing the same thing that has failed us so many times already.
Please find one single post where I’ve ever stated Jesse is a starter for United?

You think fans know better than proven winning managers, then fair enough :lol:

Red_toad

This club would be far better run if the fecking CAF got to vote on starting lineups and signings. We know a lot more than those in charge seem to.
Yes but we don’t have Millenia to get complete agreement on who launders the kits... Nevermind complete agreement every single starter.

the hea

Please find one single post where I’ve ever stated Jesse is a starter for United?

You think fans know better than proven winning managers, then fair enough :lol:
I'm not claiming to know better than any manager, that is your words. I'm just saying that seeing the likes of Lingard, Mata and Young out there week after week is killing the joy of watching our games for me. Watching promising young players even if they are not the next Messi or the second coming of Christ is far more enjoyable than watching the same old players that has failed us for so many seasons already keep on failing.

Red_toad

I'm not claiming to know better than any manager, that is your words. I'm just saying that seeing the likes of Lingard, Mata and Young out there week after week is killing the joy of watching our games for me. Watching promising young players even if they are not the next Messi or the second coming of Christ is far more enjoyable than watching the same old players that has failed us for so many seasons already keep on failing.
Perhaps you need another hobby if watching certain United players isn’t for you. Jesse is a lovely lad, does loads for his local community and represents the club very well. Seems he’s the scapegoat for today’s performance, but Victor and Dave are far more culpable.

Anyways back on thread, 3 games in and the cry babies are out in full force, as a player Ole has name checked as ‘will get games’ now must leave and it’s the end of the world.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I wonder whether it’s a contract stand off, we want him to sign but suspect he already has an agreement in place so don’t want to make him a key part of the team only to move on in January/summer. Feels similar to the Pogba stand off first time round...

In Rainbows

Perhaps you need another hobby if watching certain United players isn’t for you. Jesse is a lovely lad, does loads for his local community and represents the club very well. Seems he’s the scapegoat for today’s performance, but Victor and Dave are far more culpable.

Anyways back on thread, 3 games in and the cry babies are out in full force, as a player Ole has name checked as ‘will get games’ now must leave and it’s the end of the world.
You're not making any point. The poster didn't say anything crazy. He said take a chance. It doesn't mean playing Gomes will guarantee a better performance than Lingard. However, until you see them at first team level you can't rule it out. That's all he said. You're overreacting to the mere thought of anyone suggesting Ole needs to try something new.

That's ridiculous. Why even be on this forum if everyone needs to agree with whatever the United staff do?

Raven

It's a damn shame he didn't play today, I really think he could have offered what we needed. Every ball into Lingard just bounced off him.

I think he'll get his chance this season, but Ole missed a trick today.

Code-CX

Can someone please explain why we're not using him? He's miles better than Lingard, so what gives? I'm trying to rationalize Ole's thinking, but I can't seem to come up with anything.

fps

I fully understood him not being thrown in against Chelsea and Wolves, but he should have been on the bench today. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Ole and he'll start looking for different options.
I thought this would be an excellent game to take a chance and start a youngster (other than James!). A competitive match with a real chance to make a difference. Lingard's record speaks for itself, Pereira has contributed more goals/assists in his one start. Unfortunately, this result now puts pressure on the Southampton game, and it doesn't therefore feel fair to start Gomes or Greenwood in that one.

Irwin99

Can someone please explain why we're not using him? He's miles better than Lingard, so what gives? I'm trying to rationalize Ole's thinking, but I can't seem to come up with anything.
Not ready perhaps? We see this time and time again where we fans bemoan that a player isn't playing and that another one is but the coaches see them in training everyday. Last year fans were constantly arguing how Young and Matic were crap and how Dalot and Pereria should be in the team instead and then they play and we see that they're even worse than the players they're replacing. Our squad quality just really isn't that good.

Greenwood today just couldn't get into the game. It just feels a bit too soon for him. Maybe it's the same with Gomes. We'll see them more when the Europa League starts. Hopefully they'll make a good impression there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There are examples when there's such a clamour from the fans to see an academy player it does materialise itself, happened at Spurs when Poch was playing it coy with Kane and happened last season at Chelsea with CHO

If results or certain individuals performances don't improve I can't see how Gomes will continue to be ignored. I can understand not being involved for the first two games but a damn shame he didn't even make the bench today

Art Vandelay

I wonder whether it’s a contract stand off, we want him to sign but suspect he already has an agreement in place so don’t want to make him a key part of the team only to move on in January/summer. Feels similar to the Pogba stand off first time round...
This was my thinking. There also could be the fear of him pulling a Januzaj, looking really good and then us having to pay him crazy wages for a teenager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is a real post
Yeah, but honestly I just think at 19 he needs to be at a club where he will get a chance. He’s super young but at the same a lot of young players got chance at a very similar age. Either he gets a loan somewhere in PL or Championship, or he moves somewhere else but either way he needs to be somewhere he can play.

If he isn’t ready to feature here he has to go to a team from a lower tier where he can play.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah, but honestly I just think at 19 he needs to be at a club where he will get a chance. He’s super young but at the same a lot of young players got chance at a very similar age. Either he gets a loan somewhere in PL or Championship, or he moves somewhere else but either way he needs to be somewhere he can play.

If he isn’t ready to feature here he has to go to a team from a lower tier where he can play.
... We’ve played 3 games.

Foxbatt

If he plays he must play as the attacking midfield player and not stuck on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.