5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

passing-wind

Prefer him to Lingard any day of the week. He has the development to improve due to age, Mata shouldn't really be playing many games this season.

NWRed

Shaky first few minutes but grew into the game, then ran out of steam.

He'll grow into the role this season if given the chances, top player in the making.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Has great close control, and a nice weight of pass. Good footwork too. Clever player. Didn't think he affected play enough tonight, and was disappointed my the positions he took up. Really wasn't decisive enough when we needed him to be. Still, a solid first outing for him. He's definitely a work in progress.

Sylar

Would like to see him at number 10 with Martial up top. I reckon the link up would be much better.

Could see he was tiring but thats to be expected from first start. Would like to see him start some more games at home against teams who are just going to flood their own box and half.

AneRu

Not quite ready for starting eleven yet - obviously.
A few more cameo appearances to get him going and he'll soon enough start a PL game by late October/early November I feel.
That's the way to go with him over the next few months, give him regular cameos and assess. If settles well then maybe he can start a few, completely shutting him out for the semi retired Mata is just criminal.

Roboc7

There’s little flashes of class and he could add something in and around box we are lacking. Hope we persist with him in Europa and league cup.

izec

We dont play to his strengths, never did. A number 10 isnt for United. As someone above said, we ignore them constantly. You either drop deep to collect the ball (and subsequently arent as dangerous) or go missing for large periods in the hole.

GamerKurisu

We dont play to his strengths, never did. A number 10 isnt for United. As someone above said, we ignore them constantly. You either drop deep to collect the ball (and subsequently arent as dangerous) or go missing for large periods in the hole.
It's not that we totally ignore them, like Savage says, our players either don't have the guts or technical ability to put a ball between the lines to a number 10.

In Rainbows

I’m not sure a different player would be getting much praise for a similar performance to be honest. Few decent touches but not much else really and we were better when him and Chong came off. Which may just be because playing with no player may have been better than playing with Chong.
Because Chong and Greenwood weren't good while he was on. Can't blame him for that.

SteveW

He got subbed off with Chong so now the perception of his performance will be tarnished with Chong. Shame really don't think he deserved that he played well. I thought he was stuck a little high up the pitch with poor movement but for me he was our best player while he was on the pitch.
Agreed. He was decent whereas Chong was abysmal. Thought they played him a bit too high which made it tough to get him on the ball. When he got it he used it well though. His talent is obvious.

kundalini

I thought he played well. Some lovely touches and nice skill around the edge of the box. A couple of creative passes to find Dalot in space. One disappointing free-kick into the wall and his corners were rubbish.

A bit surprised he got substituted, though we weren't playing well as a team by that stage.

Played pretty well. Some brilliant close control and technique. Enough to deserve more time in the team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Lovely touch and able to retain the ball.

I think he showed promise. Much better than Chong was.

mancan92

I’m not sure a different player would be getting much praise for a similar performance to be honest. Few decent touches but not much else really and we were better when him and Chong came off. Which may just be because playing with no player may have been better than playing with Chong.
We didn't play any better. Only difference is greenwood scored. Gomes still created a couple chances.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he played well. Some lovely touches and nice skill around the edge of the box. A couple of creative passes to find Dalot in space. One disappointing free-kick into the wall and his corners were rubbish.

A bit surprised he got substituted, though we weren't playing well as a team by that stage.
I wasn't, he looked absolutely knackered.

RooneyLegend

He has it, all of it. Destined for greatness is this lad. I also felt he should have been playing a different role but thats for the coach to decide not him. Just a very classy player.

AFC NimbleThumb

Was shocked when he was substituted.

A real talent that will play less minutes than Mata this season, maybe he’s not young or british enough.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was probably tired. I felt he could have taken more risks with the ball. I don't think he's a 10. Does his best work in deeper areas.
Decent game.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Exciting player. Needs games and confidence. Not sure if he's destined for greatness yet as another poster said, time will tell. One of our best performers tonight though.

Dve

A real talent that will play less minutes than Mata this season, maybe he’s not young or british enough.

Gomes has excellent technics, but honestly, he´s just a little too tiny to be a regular starter in the PL. I do believe he can make it though, but he needs to bulk up quite a bit.

RooneyLegend

Gomes has excellent technics, but honestly, he´s just a little too tiny to be a regular starter in the PL. I do believe he can make it though, but he needs to bulk up quite a bit.
Those clogers wont get close enough to him.

SteveW

You again. He's 19 and English. This goes completely against your point surely???

Rafaeldagold

Was impressed with him & definitely best of the youngsters tonight.

But what happened to his corners in the second half..couldn’t beat the first man consistently! Actually that’s another indication he’s fit for the first team!

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He needs players to fees the ball into him in tight areas to get the best out of him. Seemed really frustrated at Matic and Fred continually playing side ways. Your only open for a few seconds when a team is defending that deep and Matic did his usual dwadling on the ball, dribbling for no reason then passing sideways.

SteveW

Was impressed with him & definitely best of the youngsters tonight.

But what happened to his corners in the second half..couldn’t beat the first man consistently! Actually that’s another indication he’s fit for the first team!
It was weird. His deliveries were fantastic in the first half then he suddenly can't get it past the first man. Really strange. He's a classy player.

Utdstar01

He was one of our best players and was unfortunate to come off, although some mentioned he looked tired. Thought we could've just brought Lingard on and left Angel on for another 10 minutes or so.

SteveW

He was one of our best players and was unfortunate to come off, although some mentioned he looked tired. Thought we could've just brought Lingard on and left Angel on for another 10 minutes or so.
Thought he should have been given a bit longer as well. I guess Ole was getting concerned about the result and at least wanted to be seen as being proactive with his changes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Seems unlikely though. He'd hardly be that wrecked by half time
Its his first ever senior start and first minutes of first team football this season... So not surprising he'd be tired by the hour mark.

Thought he was quite obviously a bit knackered, and his performance was dipping due to it

Utdstar01

Thought he should have been given a bit longer as well. I guess Ole was getting concerned about the result and at least wanted to be seen as being proactive with his changes.
Would make a change from the usual 85th minute changes we're used to seeing.

AFC NimbleThumb

You again. He's 19 and English. This goes completely against your point surely???
I mention Mata, old & Spanish who I believe will play more than Gomes who is actually ‘young & british’ - I think the narrative is a joke.

If you’re going to follow me from thread to thread quoting me out of context then I ask you please stop.

SteveW

I mention Mata, old & Spanish who I believe will play more than Gomes who is actually ‘young & british’ - I think the narrative is a joke.

If you’re going to follow me from thread to thread quoting me out of context then I ask you please stop.
You don't express yourself well. I'm not going to keep responding to you. Goodnight.

Redtings

Thought he was excellent. Only lacking match fitness, which is understandable.

Miles ahead of Chong.

Status
Not open for further replies.