5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

I liked what I saw from him; some flashes of brilliance, some good close control, some nice pirouettes, want to see more of him. :devil:

SteveW

Its his first ever senior start and first minutes of first team football this season... So not surprising he'd be tired by the hour mark.

Thought he was quite obviously a bit knackered, and his performance was dipping due to it
Agreed. He definitely faded a bit. But we were trying to figure out why he couldn't take a corner from about the 45th minute mark. Nobody is that unfit. I've seen Angel buzz around for 90 minutes on many occasions. Perhaps the excitement of the occasion took it out of him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The little spin in the box just after half time is a very unique skill, not many people can do that. He will be a nightmare around the box in a possession based team.

mav_9me

Honesty surprised like 2-3 posters were slating him. He was one of our best players. There's a reason why I think he should play in midfield and become our Scholes.
That's my hope too. The controller in central midfield.

In Rainbows

Agreed. He definitely faded a bit. But we were trying to figure out why he couldn't take a corner from about the 45th minute mark. Nobody is that unfit. I've seen Angel buzz around for 90 minutes on many occasions. Perhaps the excitement of the occasion took it out of him.
No, he's just not that good at set pieces (when it comes to setting others up). I was more surprised about his first two good corners that went to Tuanzebe.

SteveW

No, he's just not that good at set pieces (when it comes to setting others up). I was more surprised about his first two good corners that went to Tuanzebe.
Agreed actually. I never really thought of it as a big strength in his game. To put to put in 3 beauties followed by 3 straight at the first man was odd though.

Mark Pawelek

His technique is as good as anyone's and he would be far more effective in a different team.

He isn't a mata style playmaker. Mata drops into midfield, collects the ball and sprays it out. Which is what we are used to.

Gomes will sit in the gaps and wait for a pass and creates chances in tight spaces.

The issue is that we do not have any midfielders interested in passing the ball directly through the lines and into gomes.

Which means gomes will go invisible for periods.

He either needs to learn to adapt and seek out the ball a bit more or we get better midfielders (shock)
We do. We have a guy called Garner who can do that but everyone prefers to play Matic as DCM because, I'm told, Matic is on the payroll and must play these cup games.

mav_9me

I really hope he gets game time against the bused parked at our home. He likes the quick one twos around the box and that's key way of unlocking these packed defences.

Based Adnan

If he actually played he would win us so many free kicks in dangerous positions. Not sure why he was subbed off though. Mata was as uninspiring as ever. Gomes has to play more.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If he actually played he would win us so many free kicks in dangerous positions. Not sure why he was subbed off though. Mata was as uninspiring as ever. Gomes has to play more.
He was knackered. Barely contributed anything in the 10-15 minutes before he got the hook. Even seemed too tired to beat the first man with his corners (which were fantastic in the first half)

King Andow

The little spin in the box just after half time is a very unique skill, not many people can do that. He will be a nightmare around the box in a possession based team.
@GifLord Can you do this one (46:08-46:13) and compare with Lingard at 70:36, please?

Tarrou

Looks quality

He's definitely edged himself further up the pecking order with that showing

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I thought he was different class. Got a foot like a wand. He has the technique & imagination hardly any in our squad have.

That piece of skill on the edge of the box to fool the defenders and set up a chance is exactly why he needs to play more. We're way too predictable in the final third. When do we ever see any of the team do that?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He did well but looks tired in 2nd half, didn't perform as good as his 1st half. He's ahead of Chong in term of being ready for first team imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he was very good. His close control in exceptional. He has to play more. Definitely one we should be promoting and prioritising.

mav_9me

Forget the skill by Gomes... Just look at their first touches.. Lingard couldn't pass straight to Mata. And this is not just isolated. Happens so often.

Shaking my head at how much less time gomes gets while Lingard has been stinking it up. Used to think Lingard was a decent squad player.. Doubt even that now.

haram

That is a microcosm of the differences between them. Not an isolated example. Just an illustrative example.
It's a clip of Lingard losing the ball and Gomes keeping it. We can do this for every player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial Gomes and Pogba in the same team would make us much more potent in tight areas.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He didn’t do an awful lot, but everything he did do he did incredibly tidily, and seemed effortlessly to be one of our best ball retainers, in a side that has seemed almost pathologically incapable of passing properly for about 5 years. Of the big 3 academy starters he seemed the most comfortable.

Shocking corners though.

Last edited:

mav_9me

It's a clip of Lingard losing the ball and Gomes keeping it. We can do this for every player.
That's why I already said it is not a random one time isolated example. It happens too often with Lingard.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Slick, nimble, and his quick thinking/awareness of players around him were there to see on a few occasions. Not much of a chance to show his range of passing.

Has definitely earned more starts against better opposition.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely think he's the most refined out of all the youngsters. We need to be patient with him because of his size and fitness, but ability wise and intelligence wise, he's brilliant for someone so young. Once he gets accustomed to the physicality of the premier league and matures physically so that he can last the full game, he's going to be a brilliant player I have no doubt.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Probably was nervous and didnt sleep the night before.

Mr PG

Maybe but not anytime soon. You noticed how much more composed Mata was versus Angel. The game needs to slow down for Gomez before he can start thinking of replacing Mata
Oh please ...this was his first start for us ever. Our players are unused to passing the ball to a receiver in a congested area and the true solution is to play both mata and Gomez together. Needs ball players around him to thrive. I felt he was quite tidy and showed glimpses of brilliance.

The United

I didn't watch many of his youth games. So, I might be lacking some knowledge with his game.

The way people have been going on was that he was a bit of creative player? But, from what I saw in this game, he was not like that. He is more like a tidy player who can keep the ball and move it around. Not that it is a bad thing.

But, I am not sure we need a 10 like that at this moment. People talking about him replacing Mata, he would do well if he can find spaces in pockets and does more forward penetration passes like a declining Mata does.

I know it was his first start. Hopefully, he gets more game time to improve.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Huge talent that will only grow in confidence with game time. We need to start giving him more and more minutes and we have a first 11 material player on our hands.

meamth

He is going to be our Iniesta or Bernardo Silva, I'm sure of it.

This guy can cushion hard passes like it's nothing.

The only let down in this game was his corner taking, poorly executed until he went off. Always hitting the near post, not enough power.

Other than that, I think he is the most dangerous player in our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.