5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

I thought Gomes done well in a Game that was boring tbh. He showed some skill and nice touches which we lack throughout the whole side. If I were to pick between Gomes and the rest of the forward players, I would pick him.
He tried to play with Chong but it wasn't working. Daniel James and him would have a better chance of forming a partnership. He always wants the ball, no matter how many are around him.

Raven

Gotta chuckle at everyone getting massively carried away by a single piece of skill.

Decent performance overall. Some nice moments and great set-pieces (in the first half). As expected, he struggled with the physical elements of the game. Got out-muscled all night and seemed to fatigue quite badly as a result.

You can tell he’s a class player but will probably follow a similar development arc to Raheem Sterling. Only really coming into his own when he develops proper full grown man strength. I just hope he also mirrors his development in terms of ability. It’s definitely possible. Long way to go though.
He was out muscled once, maybe twice in the 67 or so minutes he spent on the pitch. The rest of the time he was getting hacked down, unless you consider drawing fouls the same as being out muscled.

ArjenIsM3

He was okay. Not bad considering it was his full debut, but not great either. Should be given more chances in cup games but to me he hasn't showed that he should start PL games yet. I'd rather we played a 4-3-3 with McT, Fred and Pogba in a more advanced role in midfield for the time being. Then again I've always been in favour of easing young players in instead of the sink or swim approach some on here are calling for.

red4ever 79

Looked decent on the ball. Dont think he gave it away once. Keeps the ball moving can turn easily. Needs games, needs to play to get momentum and understanding with the team. You cant judge anyone on one game. He should start 10 games in a row and let's see what kind of player we have.

Based Adnan

I noticed he struggled with the 'Kagawa effect' where he was always demanding the ball in tight spaces between the lines but our midfield players didn't back themselves to find him. Happened constantly.

Alabaster Codify7

I thought Gomes started well but all of a sudden just disappeared from the game. He was causing them issues early on. Again, like Chong, I'd like to see Ole start him again for the Rochdale game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought Gomes started well but all of a sudden just disappeared from the game. He was causing them issues early on. Again, like Chong, I'd like to see Ole start him again for the Rochdale game.
I'd say it's a cert he'll start against Rochdale

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's really weak but it was a positive performance. I'd like to see him feature against West Ham. Unlike Chong or Greenwood, he looks like he's ready to make the step up.

Bestietom

Gotta chuckle at everyone getting massively carried away by a single piece of skill.

Decent performance overall. Some nice moments and great set-pieces (in the first half). As expected, he struggled with the physical elements of the game. Got out-muscled all night and seemed to fatigue quite badly as a result.

You can tell he’s a class player but will probably follow a similar development arc to Raheem Sterling. Only really coming into his own when he develops proper full grown man strength. I just hope he also mirrors his development in terms of ability. It’s definitely possible. Long way to go though.
He is always looking for the ball and don't lose it when he has it, not like most of our players. Give him a bit of credit for Gods sake.

Bestietom

:lol: Why do people get so ridiculously emotional about him? What part of “decent performance” and “class player” did you miss anyway?
Tell me who else showed any class last night. It was just Boring Boring football for the whole 90 minutes. I like Gomes and I'm entitled to this, but I don't expect everyone to like him, but I do hate it when people are asking for the youngsters to get a start and then run them down, just for something to say.

red4ever 79

I like him. Technically good, keeps the ball moving, retains possession. He is at a cross roads where he is too good for the U23's but physically still looks like he has to develop a bit for the first team. Kid deserves a chance at least. Cant do any worse than Lingard

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tell me who else showed any class last night. It was just Boring Boring football for the whole 90 minutes. I like Gomes and I'm entitled to this, but I don't expect everyone to like him, but I do hate it when people are asking for the youngsters to get a start and then run them down, just for something to say.
erm. ok.

AshRK

He is talented for sure. He needs to play more this season. It's strange he debuted when he was 16 and since then was never given enough chance to gain more experience. There is nothing Mata or Lingard do which he cannot. I hope at least 2 from Greenwood, Gomes and Chong become quality for us and not just turn out another Lingard or cleverly.

Grande

He is always looking for the ball and don't lose it when he has it, not like most of our players. Give him a bit of credit for Gods sake.
I’m a big fan of his, and he showed why several times against Astana. Ball control, seldom loses the ball, always gives himself time to find a teammate. Can speed up play. He might be my favorite ‘hope-to-break-through’-player alongside Mason Greenwood and Lauren James, yet I see more clearly yesterday than in preseason what he needs to improve to be a better short term option than Mata, Lingard or Pereira.

The physicality has been mentioned, where at least Pereira and Jesse are ahead of him, but more importantly it’s what Mata brought into the game when he came on:

1. He is always looking to get the ball, but he is often not moving purposefully to get the ball. All the other three are better at moving in space so as to be involved more by their teammates. For a 10, that is crucial, and why the game sometimes passes him by.

2. The purposefulness with the ball. When Mata came on, you can see he most times already knows what he wants to do with the ball when receiving it, and it is very often something with a good possibility of opening up or destabilizing the other teams defense. This comes more seldom from Gomes, and most in the early phases of the game.

These are of course skills that come with experience and confidence. It’s an argument to give him more game time as he will be very good, but it’s also an argument to blood him carefully, more carefully than I’d hoped tbh.

Bestietom

I’m a big fan of his, and he showed why several times against Astana. Ball control, seldom loses the ball, always gives himself time to find a teammate. Can speed up play. He might be my favorite ‘hope-to-break-through’-player alongside Mason Greenwood and Lauren James, yet I see more clearly yesterday than in preseason what he needs to improve to be a better short term option than Mata, Lingard or Pereira.

The physicality has been mentioned, where at least Pereira and Jesse are ahead of him, but more importantly it’s what Mata brought into the game when he came on:

1. He is always looking to get the ball, but he is often not moving purposefully to get the ball. All the other three are better at moving in space so as to be involved more by their teammates. For a 10, that is crucial, and why the game sometimes passes him by.

2. The purposefulness with the ball. When Mata came on, you can see he most times already knows what he wants to do with the ball when receiving it, and it is very often something with a good possibility of opening up or destabilizing the other teams defense. This comes more seldom from Gomes, and most in the early phases of the game.

These are of course skills that come with experience and confidence. It’s an argument to give him more game time as he will be very good, but it’s also an argument to blood him carefully, more carefully than I’d hoped tbh.
Ok we all see the game differently which is why we have different opinions.
Mata is coming near the end now and loses possession too much as well as taking the wrong decisions a lot now, when other players are in a better position to pass to. He also mis-passes when he sees an opposition player coming at him, because he was never a player with good close control. Lingard and Pereira are just not good enough for Manchester United and should be shown the door.
This leaves us with Gomes for now, and his first game as a number 10, and people already judging him on his performance last night. It may not be his best position, and it may be that he hadn't got the players around him to suit his play. We don't know this, so I for one would hold back judgement until I see him play with the full team. We are often too quick to judge these young players.
This is my opinion mate, and I'm not being argumentative or trying to shove anything down anyone's throat. I see him as a very skillful player who could shine with the right players around him. That's all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he was pretty bad, oe better said anonymous. He hardly did anything (unlike Chong who was bad and tried but couldn't do anything). I know that it is just his first chance, but young players who get chances should take them, otherwise the next chance won't come soon.

I hope he does better the next time he plays. I also don't see him playing much in EPL this season.
Ridiculous assessment of the peformance.

He was good and miles better than Chong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We should celebrate and promote these pieces of skill given so few in our squad can pull them off. But you've always fancied graft over craft.

Handré1990

He wasn’t excellent, of course, none of ours were. He was playing with our B-squad and managed to show what he can do. He has these skills we’re sorely lacking. Imo, nothing in that performance put me down. It’s part of the process. If he dominated yesterday I’d have taken that as a sign that the management is too careful with him, as it is I think they’re handling him perfectly.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He wasn’t excellent, of course, none of ours were. He was playing with our B-squad and managed to show what he can do. He has these skills we’re sorely lacking. Imo, nothing in that performance put me down. It’s part of the process. If he dominated yesterday I’d have taken that as a sign that the management is too careful with him, as it is I think they’re handling him perfectly.
Hello Louis.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Would start him against West Ham. They will have the ball a lot more than Astana, and will peg us back in our own half quite a bit, that should give the front three of Rashford, Greenwood and James plenty of room to exploit, which Gomes would as also, but I fear that it will probably be Lingard and Mata for Greenwood and Gomes on Sunday.

LVGSdive

That first time pass followed by that turn and pass :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought he had good game, first half he was lively linking up play, set pieces was also good. Second half his performance went down, also around 60th min, he looked very tired.

Next week we have league cup, again should be a good opportunity for him.
Sums up my thoughts too, if I was Gomes I'd be quite happy with that performance.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Lad is pure class. People need to get over their own egos, which is what a lot of the negative comments are around, people wanting their opinion to be right, wasn’t a great game for him to be involved in but what he did he did very well and that bit of skill is a glimpse, like Greenwood’s goal is a glimpse, of the ability he has. Ability without workrate won’t get you far however it’s always the teams with the best players that win the biggest prizes...we must celebrate ability, it’s the vital element and we are sadly lacking in it

lumeyes

That first time pass followed by that turn and pass :drool:
Suprised many seem to miss that first time pass to Rashford, without it there wouldn't have been the turn and the second pass. Rashford made a harsh of it but fortunatey the ball found its way to Gomes :)

Without appearing to hype him, I don't see more than 2 players in the team who are capable of executing that first pass with their weaker foot. It's not as if it was a fluke, he's been doing this for years. I have never understood those who were obsessed with his size, especially considering the players keeping him out of the team or even bench.

lumeyes

Lad is pure class. People need to get over their own egos, which is what a lot of the negative comments are around, people wanting their opinion to be right, wasn’t a great game for him to be involved in but what he did he did very well and that bit of skill is a glimpse, like Greenwood’s goal is a glimpse, of the ability he has. Ability without workrate won’t get you far however it’s always the teams with the best players that win the biggest prizes...we must celebrate ability, it’s the vital element and we are sadly lacking in it
Brilliant.

I get the part of not coming deep to get the ball but that's why more experienced players and the coaching crew are there for - to guide him. I wouldn't give him a low mark on work rate because that wouldn't have made Chong and Rashford play better. Place quality players around him and whatch him explode. As many have noted, how many times did he move into pockets of space but no one - especially the midfield duo of Matic and Fred - was able to see and pass the ball to him. Hopefully we get Pogba, Martial and James to connect with him. I wouldn't mind throwing Garner in, he is one person who is sure to feed a more advanced Gomes with quality ball. In my opinion, he shouldn't be made a deep lying midfielder at this top level yet, that would be too much pressure on him. Unfortunately we don't have one with good quality in the team (I don't count Pogba as one). Oh we do, but he is still too young :)

RedNed77

I thought he was deliberately cautious the other night. He's not been given too many opportunities so far and playing riskily wouldn't have done him any favours with regards to future chances. I reckon he'll play closer to his ability level if he gets a few more chances and feels he has the confidence of the management. Hopefully he starts tomorrow against West Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.