Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How do some opposing fans have the audacity so suggest he under-performed or had a bad season?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some rival fan called him "ridiculously overrated" a week or so ago :lol:
It just angers me, even funnier is that FIFA have lowered his potential to 84 on FIFA 16.

Djemba-Djemba

Niall Quinn said he'd expected more of him prior to the derby a few weeks ago. What an idiot.

There are a lot of things you can justifiably slag Utd off for these days, but Martial isn't one of them. He's been incredible, a ray of light in the gloom for most of the season.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Still can't believe that goal. Him and DDG are probably the only two players where you can't make a case of them disappointing.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I would have loved to have Martial at Bayern, SZ reported he was a big transfer target of ours for 2016, but United pulled the trigger on him. I expect in terms of importance for United he will be as huge as DdG in a couple of years time. Really an exciting young player!

El Zoido

Niall Quinn said he'd expected more of him prior to the derby a few weeks ago. What an idiot.

There are a lot of things you can justifiably slag Utd off for these days, but Martial isn't one of them. He's been incredible, a ray of light in the gloom for most of the season.
Niall Quinn is a colossal bellend. I can't watch Sunderland or City on Sky anymore because they always cart him out to spew his bitter nonsense.

Gladiator

Martial. He's a footballer whose game brings a smile to my face. He's really impressed me.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How do some opposing fans have the audacity so suggest he under-performed or had a bad season?
Opposing fans?

There are some on this very thread who do the same. Some clown was comparing him to dogshite like Origi ffs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gutted he didn't score that goal against Tottenham, he really deserved it. So often he's close to glimpses of absolute genius, but then it's ruined by a poor touch or a dodgy shot.

Once it clicks for him he's going to be absolutely unstoppable.

Shark

@NotShark
Gutted he didn't score that goal against Tottenham, he really deserved it. So often he's close to glimpses of absolute genius, but then it's ruined by a poor touch or a dodgy shot.

Once it clicks for him he's going to be absolutely unstoppable.
Yep, but it's very very normal. I'd say if we were to look back at Henry when he was 20, he was very similar. However, that run and finish in the semi final is what we'll surely be seeing on a regular basis as he gets older and progresses. You don't lose that calm ability in front of goal, it can only get better and that makes me very very excited.

Gladiator

Yep, but it's very very normal. I'd say if we were to look back at Henry when he was 20, he was very similar. However, that run and finish in the semi final is what we'll surely be seeing on a regular basis as he gets older and progresses. You don't lose that calm ability in front of goal, it can only get better and that makes me very very excited.
hopefully that's something which is encouraged and not coached out of him. Sometimes managers/coaches do that

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said it before but in 4-5 years if he isn't hitting Ronaldoesque numbers i.e. 40+ goals a season, I would argue he hasn't reached his potential.

With his talent, he really should be aiming to attain that level of excellence. At this age, he is already ahead of Ronaldo in my opinion based on his development curve - he has a naturally higher footballing IQ. On the flip side, Ronaldo had a far more versatile style of game, naturally ambidextrous, much better flair/trickery and super ambitious. It is not a cert that he can hit those numbers, far from it but although he is less naturally gifted than a Ronaldo in terms of awe-inspiring skill, he has a beautifully simple game which is more like a Messi.. more about close control, drops of the shoulder and gliding through gaps.

Its why I think he can be a huge player in big games in the coming years because a guy with athleticism and close control, can be incredibly difficult to mark in tight encounters. Messi can get snuffed out of very tight games because he lacks the physicality some times to bully the opposition, whereas Ronaldo lacks the finesse to sometimes put on a complete show against big teams. Martial is the type of player who once he matures, could dominate big matches like a Ronaldinho did in his pomp but without the dazzling skills.

Gladiator

He's been less of a dogshite since Klopp took over to be fair to him, but yeah, those comparisons are ridiculous.
they really really are. origi hasn't made it through LVG boot camp. Martial made it through and is still putting up good numbers

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Said it before but in 4-5 years if he isn't hitting Ronaldoesque numbers i.e. 40+ goals a season, I would argue he hasn't reached his potential.

With his talent, he really should be aiming to attain that level of excellence. At this age, he is already ahead of Ronaldo in my opinion based on his development curve - he has a naturally higher footballing IQ. On the flip side, Ronaldo had a far more versatile style of game, naturally ambidextrous, much better flair/trickery and super ambitious. It is not a cert that he can hit those numbers, far from it but although he is less naturally gifted than a Ronaldo in terms of awe-inspiring skill, he has a beautifully simple game which is more like a Messi.. more about close control, drops of the shoulder and gliding through gaps.

Its why I think he can be a huge player in big games in the coming years because a guy with athleticism and close control, can be incredibly difficult to mark in tight encounters. Messi can get snuffed out of very tight games because he lacks the physicality some times to bully the opposition, whereas Ronaldo lacks the finesse to sometimes put on a complete show against big teams. Martial is the type of player who once he matures, could dominate big matches like a Ronaldinho did in his pomp but without the dazzling skills.
I disagree. Natural talent is only one part of the equation. Having a ridiculously merciless work ethic and an exceptional football IQ (ie a football brain) are the other two thirds. We only know the natural talent bit at the present and time will tell if the other two develop him further. Therefore expecting Ronaldoesque numbers is just setting a lofty bar that will result in a perception that he has underachieved. Let him develop at his own pace instead of bringing players like Ronaldo into the equation.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I disagree. Natural talent is only one part of the equation. Having a ridiculously merciless work ethic and an exceptional football IQ (ie a football brain) are the other two thirds. We only know the natural talent bit at the present and time will tell if the other two develop him further. Therefore expecting Ronaldoesque numbers is just setting a lofty bar that will result in a perception that he has underachieved. Let him develop at his own pace instead of bringing players like Ronaldo into the equation.
I agree with your post (the bolded bit). For me Martial, taking his age into account has an exceptional footballing brain relative to his position and style of play. He's not a Messiesque #10 of the future but as a pure wing forward/striker hybrid... he has everything you would want, decent eye for a pass, good link up play, movement, knows how to exploit gaps within the defence when running with the ball at high speed, get out of tricky tight spaces. He has a great feel for the game, more than Ronaldo did at his age... basically if you were trying to create a ruthless goal machine from out wide, Martial comes pretty close to the ideal prototype. He's even more direct than a Neymar/Reus.

So for me he has 2/3's of his game complete. So in terms of talent.. both technical/footballing IQ wise, he has it all (relative to his age). Obviously there is still much growth to be had in this area which brings me on to the next point.

The thing that will underpin whether the technique/IQ improves and therefore he becomes even more productive is the work ethic element. That is not something which is out of his control, work ethic.. if he puts the hard yards in there is no reason why he shouldn't be hitting those numbers. If he fails to put in the hard yards, then yes he should be disappointed as he will only have himself to blame.

For me if Martial was to peak in terms of producing Hazard/Robbenesque or Ribery numbers goalwise, yes I would definitely consider that a failure because he isn't a playmaking winger.. he is there to be a goal threat. Everything is set up for him to be an unstoppable force of nature down the wing and rack up an insane amount of goals. He is a natural finisher and for me his competition should be someone like Neymar. He should be aiming for 30+ goals a season at his peak.

The amount of chances he creates for himself, the way he can finish, the amount of times we see him nearly score worldies and the way he comes alive in the box.. he is the type of player who could get hat tricks quite easily against weaker opposition. He has it in him to dominate games on the goal front.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree with your post (the bolded bit). For me Martial, taking his age into account has an exceptional footballing brain relative to his position and style of play. He's not a Messiesque #10 of the future but as a pure wing forward/striker hybrid... he has everything you would want, decent eye for a pass, good link up play, movement, knows how to exploit gaps within the defence when running with the ball at high speed, get out of tricky tight spaces. He has a great feel for the game, more than Ronaldo did at his age... basically if you were trying to create a ruthless goal machine from out wide, Martial comes pretty close to the ideal prototype. He's even more direct than a Neymar/Reus.

So for me he has 2/3's of his game complete. So in terms of talent.. both technical/footballing IQ wise, he has it all (relative to his age). Obviously there is still much growth to be had in this area which brings me on to the next point.

The thing that will underpin whether the technique/IQ improves and therefore he becomes even more productive is the work ethic element. That is not something which is out of his control, work ethic.. if he puts the hard yards in there is no reason why he shouldn't be hitting those numbers. If he fails to put in the hard yards, then yes he should be disappointed as he will only have himself to blame.

For me if Martial was to peak in terms of producing Hazard/Robbenesque or Ribery numbers goalwise, yes I would definitely consider that a failure because he isn't a playmaking winger.. he is there to be a goal threat. Everything is set up for him to be an unstoppable force of nature down the wing and rack up an insane amount of goals. He is a natural finisher and for me his competition should be someone like Neymar. He should be aiming for 30+ goals a season at his peak.
I don't think he has more than natural ability at this stage. Whether or not he is a natural goalscorer is completely open to debate since he had only scored 14 goals ever before joining us. More broadly, its critical to downplay expectations with players like him and allow the player to organically develop over time rather than conjuring up arbitrary numbers of how many goals you think he should score because you've arbitrarily rated him to reach a certain level.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think he has more than natural ability at this stage. Whether or not he is a natural goalscorer is completely open to debate since he had only scored 14 goals ever before joining us. More broadly, its critical to downplay expectations with players like him and allow the player to organically develop over time rather than conjuring up arbitrary numbers of how many goals you think he should score because you've arbitrarily rated him to reach a certain level.
Fair enough. But obviously you have to take some form of a leap in terms of imagination when it comes to rating younger players otherwise you'd wait 7 years and when they come good.. say well I knew he had it in him in hindsight.

I am sure United when signing him had to arbitrarily rate him to some degree as in terms of productivity he had hardly set the world alight prior to joining us. They must have assumed he had it in him to be a goal threat worthy of plying his trade here.

If you were coaching him, of course it is critical to downplay expectations both when dealing with him as well as the media. I would be surprised however if in the minds of many at Old Trafford, they weren't secretly expecting him to have the world at his feet.. the 'Ballon D'Or' clause said it all for me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's unfair to expect him to get 40/50 goals. Those kind of figures depend heavily on the team he is playing and how competitive the league is.

LouisDanGaal

I think it's unfair to expect him to get 40/50 goals. Those kind of figures depend heavily on the team he is playing and how competitive the league is.
Yeah suarez scored 8 goals last week in 2 nothing games, really pads out the stats, not that suarez isn't incredible or anything

Gladiator

yep. also he's a type of player who can help out the team in more than just goals

Stacks

14 goals and 10 assists so far in his debut seasons with us, at 19/20, in a faltering side with an obvious lack of creativity/quality around him in the final third.

In 4 or 5 years this guy could be hitting Ronaldo/Messi figures.
Football growth doesn't work like this I'm afraid. Ask Hazard. You either have the capacity to do a Ronaldo or Messi or you don't. You can't estimate it based on a player scoring 14 in a season. No one is expecting Kane to hit their numbers and he is a far more proven goalscorer

Stacks

Unsurprisingly, yes.
Strange. Sterling last year at 20 years of age scored 13 and got 9 assists yet went for £50 mill. He had completed 2.5 seasons in England making 150 odd appearances in club football. In Liverpool's title challenging season he got a respectable 10 goals and 7 assists. So if Sterling was the second coming of Christ, how can someone say with a straight face "Anthony Martial is overrated. He has underperformed" 14 goals 10 assists and counting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Football growth doesn't work like this I'm afraid. Ask Hazard. You either have the capacity to do a Ronaldo or Messi or you don't. You can't estimate it based on a player scoring 14 in a season. No one is expecting Kane to hit their numbers and he is a far more proven goalscorer
Hence "could" - implies uncertainty.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Strange. Sterling last year at 20 years of age scored 13 and got 9 assists yet went for £50 mill. He had completed 2.5 seasons in England making 150 odd appearances in club football. In Liverpool's title challenging season he got a respectable 10 goals and 7 assists. So if Sterling was the second coming of Christ, how can someone say with a straight face "Anthony Martial is overrated. He has underperformed" 14 goals 10 assists and counting.
I think it's down to jealousy and/or not watching enough of him to form an adequate opinion, but then again I find the "average season" claims just as ridiculous.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He'd be more Henry than Saha. He does more special things like individual runs, making his own chances and assists. Much more than Saha
He will be Martial, he is a special talent no need to be compared to Saha, Henry or Moses.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Tony Martial came from France,
English press said he had no chance,
50 million down the drain,
As Tony martial scores again!

One day, I hope I can be there to sing along. :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really do think the 433 formation is the best way to get him, Rashford +1 into the team.

He's the sort of player who should be given a free reign and not asked to do too much defending, save his energy for attacking.

I Imagine getting him into a Ronaldo style 2nd striker form the wing will be the best way for him going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.