5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Well if the issue was he was asked to defend too much, you cant just dissapear like that when you are left higher up the pitch.

If you are not using your energy to track back then you have no excuse to be lethargic in your movement or lack intensity in the final third. The problem is that’s two of Martial’s weaknesses.

Ander herrera the warrior

I really don't think he has the right assets to be a winger. I am not really sure why people are so convinced he will be a great left winger.

He is not a great crosser of the ball and dribbling wise he seems to have been found wanting.

His best asset is his finishing, but he is rarely able to use it because he is always on the wing. I think if we continue to try to make him into a winger he will fail.
100% agree with this. We need to do something to our formation if we think Martial is important. He needs to play like how he did in his first season. Give him back the number 9 shirt and play him like one.

I think we should probably focus on 5-3-2 formation to get the best out of Martial and Rashford up top with Pogba right behind them. Also we need really good wingbacks who can keep the width.

Janson

Why this guy is rated so highly is beyond me. Played one half decent game in his last 10 appearances and that was against the woeful Fulham.
According to someone on the previous page, he's one of the best left wingers in the world. I don't even know how to respond to that. We keep repeating that he has the potential and I am probably guilty of the same, but at which point do we stop giving him the free card? At this point I am starting to be less and less convinced that he will ever realise his potential.

I'm guessing he is rated so highly mostly on potential rather than what he is now.

el3mel

We're back again to switching his position ? As far as I'm concerned all his great games we drooled over were at left wing ?

The lad's problem is when he doesn't score, he does nothing else on the pitch. Almost every game he gets this kind of miss passing and terrible movement, but he covers this with his ability to score screamers or making an assist. When he doesn't, these things get exposed.

To become a world class player, he'll have to have a standard performance and providing a minimum when he's not scoring. He needs to realize he's not going to score every game.

That or he'll turn up to be another Quaresma (without the off pitch attitude), incredibly able to pull out great goals and assists but frustrating in his general play overall.

Frank Grimes

According to someone on the previous page, he's one of the best left wingers in the world. I don't even know how to respond to that. We keep repeating that he has the potential and I am probably guilty of the same, but at which point do we stop giving him the free card? At this point I am starting to be less and less convinced that he will ever realise his potential.

I'm guessing he is rated so highly mostly on potential rather than what he is now.
It's all hype with zero substance.

Janson

Is it a sin to hope a rich club gets overexcited and offer us silly money for Martial? I know he has moments of brilliance, but they aren’t frequent enough. Nobody in the squad frustrates me more. He’ll make me look stupid sometime in the next month at some point, but then disappear again.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I can’t watch the same away performances for the next seven or eight years.
The hope is that he develops in to a top player, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen tbh. I'm not really seeing any progress in his game. His movement is still lacking.

Ban

Same stuff was evident even before Ole but Jose cant be right about anything. I'm not saying he should have been sold but right now his mentality is his undoing and if he doesn't change that he'll never be a top player.

#CR7

Needs someone to compete with him for his position next season to keep him motivated. He's been given the privilege of a first team player since Ole came in but I'm not even sure he's been that productive in that period.

NinjaFletch

An injury he picked up vs PSG, where he looked...rusty. As he does too often.
I agree, it is a problem he does have. I just don't really think there's much point pilling in on him given the circumstances. Lingard looked exactly the same, and it's not normally a criticism you can level at him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure he does enough tbh. Perhaps it’s down to the system, or he’s playing in the wrong role, but for the position he plays, he does too much of his work from a standing-start. I’ve always been part of what would be called the ‘Martial FC’ lot on here, but I must admit the lack of intensity in his play is frustrating.

He has so much quality with the ball, but doesn’t force himself into a game enough.

dogwithabone

Needs to mix his game up a bit. Very predictable and ran down blind alleys at virtually every turn tonight.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

You're at the point i was at a very long time ago. Thought he was the bees knees after his first season, since then I don't get any excitement or anticipation from his game at all. In fact he infuriates me.

I don't get why so many are still so ignorant to his problems.

Bobski

He has always been far too static in his play, stands out on the wing, waits for the ball to feet, then plays. There was a moment in the first half tonight when he actually made a good off the ball run inside(for a change), Matic missed it, he threw his arms up, and walked back, all the while missing Pogba having a great chance to play him in if he had kept his head in the game.

Amazing talent, but passive, static Martial has been an issue from the start of his time here. To get to the next level as a player the needs to look at the likes of Mane/Salah/Sane/Sterling, how active they are. Talent wise he matches any of them but too often wants to play at his own pace.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm going to say this now but if we get Sancho then Martial will be in trouble. Sounds crazy because our right wing is so devoid, but Lingard is far more consistent and has more energy than Martial.

Unless Martial start delivering on the potential then there's going to be a big decision to make.

Andersons Dietician

Wasn’t great tonight and really didn’t look fit but was still better than Rashford and Lingard.
None of them seem to have that thing of sniffing out goals. They never seem to get in the right positions and Martial is probably the worst offender for this.

Web of Bissaka

Lacking sharpness + match fitness, and it showed.

No complain from me, it's clear he couldn't stamp himself into the game. We don't have much choice though.

Still managed to beat defenders and had a constant go at their defend, while usually did not lose unnecessary possession.

Would be better if he could put more urgency.

Dante

Average bang
He's an odd one.

Out wide, he's little more than a continuity player. Average passing, little movement, little invention.

But if he can get into the box, he's an excellent finisher and as deadly as they come.

The problem is that his movement in the box isn't good enough for him to lead the line.

So that means he's unsuited to being a CF and he's unsuited to being an out-and-out winger. Easily his best role is to play as a WF, off a CF with good movement. Unfortunately against Wolves' deep back 5, he had nowhere to go and no one to play off. NES had at least one defender between Martial and Rashford at all times.

Intilo

Was much better under Mourinho than Ole , just a glorified inconsistent bolasie , fans gets excited easily with a player who can dribble and beat , but even then he didn't do that consistently.

Last edited:

Janson

You're at the point i was at a very long time ago. Thought he was the bees knees after his first season, since then I don't get any excitement or anticipation from his game at all. In fact he infuriates me.

[/b]I don't get why so many are still so ignorant to his problems.[/b]
I think it's mostly younger excitable fans who just want to watch a flashy dribbler type of player. Not that he can't do anything else, he is a great finisher when he can get in to those positions. Saying he's one of the best LW in the world for example is baffling to me. I honestly don't think that a lot of people put up their real ages on here.

el3mel

I think it's mostly younger excitable fans who just want to watch a flashy dribbler type of player. Not that he can't do anything else, he is a great finisher when he can get in to those positions. Saying he's one of the best LW in the world for example is baffling to me. I honestly don't think that a lot of people put up their real ages on here.
He's overrated here, which doesn't necessarily mean he's bad, but not at the level some here are putting him at.

Capable of great goals and dribbling but his general game is pretty poor and this game will keep repeating whenever he doesn't score. Next time he scores a worldy people will mock us but we know it, we know he can pull out amazing goals and great dribbles. The problem is when he does neither you end up with games like tonight, which is why he isn't world class yet.

AndersB

Was much better under Mourinho than Ole , just a glorified inconsistent bolasie , fans gets excited easily with a player who can dribble and beat , but even then he didn't do that consistently.
Sorry mate, but this is just bollocks. He is nothing like Bolasie. Martial is, for one, an excellent finisher (probably his biggest strength imo). He is also -not- a headless chicken (with some awesome moments here and there).

However, he certainly involves and imposes himself way too little, and today was a strong example of that even for his standards. Back from injury, yes, but he did get 90, and I struggle to remember a single specific positive involvement.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People complained Jose was ruining his effectiveness and he was better under LVG.

It's always his movement/application that lets him down when he has a poor game.

ash_86

So frustrating. Every single time he wants the ball at his feet . At one point we were countering, Pogba had the ball and was looking for runners and he was standing On the left not moving an inch . Why the hell is he doing not making a run is beyond me. Slowly losing hope for him . Games he looked brilliant are far and few

Sylar

If his off the ball movement was like sterling he would have so many more goals. He's dangerous when he gets the ball to his feet near the opposition box but it seems like he always Wants the ball to his feet

Sauldogba

He doesnt have much variation to his game to be a winger but he doesnt have movement to be a striker either.
Hes so static.
And he like most of our attackers tend to slow us down.
Doesnt help that he has to link up with Shaw mind you who slows us down equally as much.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Martial has barely improved since his first season. He has also not shown a resurgence under Ole, meaning he was not being hampered all that much by the previous manager. You can only accept this level of performance for so long before the potential goes away.

Don't mind him being here, because on his day he is a very fine player. But top clubs can't afford to carry a player when they are off so often. I surmise he'll be another Nani, will be a squad option until he gets his consistency sorted out then will be fantastic 2-3 years.

haram

The fact that he has not developed since his debut season is more worrying than his inconsistencies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have a lot of time for Martial. He has actually had a pretty good season. Needs to get himself into form.

We were too predictable and all our attackers suffers from this. Martial for instance was being double marked out wide and when he got the ball there wasn't really any movement in the box. Didn't do much, but his effort wasn't as bad as some say in here. Most of our play came down his side, and it just stagnated there but it was not only his fault. A player like Sancho on the right would give Martial more space in build up and less creative responsibility from stand still.

RedDevil5

There's a reason Mourinho didn't rate him. I don't think he was treated fairly by Mourinho either, but Mourinho knows how inconsistent and lazy this guy can be. When he doesn't score he usually looks awful. No excuses anymore. He needs to get his act together.

Raven

Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough, but I thought his performance was about as poor as anyone else's really. Naturally though, it's a loss, so the caf reactionaries are out for a scapegoat or 2.

Jeffthered

I have a lot of time for Martial. He has actually had a pretty good season. Needs to get himself into form.

We were too predictable and all our attackers suffers from this. Martial for instance was being double marked out wide and when he got the ball there wasn't really any movement in the box. Didn't do much, but his effort wasn't as bad as some say in here. Most of our play came down his side, and it just stagnated there but it was not only his fault. A player like Sancho on the right would give Martial more space in build up and less creative responsibility from stand still.

You see, this is the problem. Some fans just do not get it. Martial has potential, but his application is generally, not so good. Ole is witnessing this. Mourinho said he goes missing for too much matches. Deschamps has in the past dropped him completely from French XI.

I have been saying this for over two years on here - Martial is a limited player. He lacks game intelligence. He seems to think he is better than what he is. Compare Martial to 'Son/Hazard/Mane/Sane..' all of these players just apply themselves far more and far better.

I stopped saying anything because on here, Martial is some type of footballing genius.

Well, judge for yourselves. A considerable talent, but he lacks real desire, real application. It's almost like he feels like the world owes him something, and he believes his own hype.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You see, this is the problem. Some fans just do not get it. Martial has potential, but his application is generally, not so good. Ole is witnessing this. Mourinho said he goes missing for too much matches. Deschamps has in the past dropped him completely from French XI.

I have been saying this for over two years on here - Martial is a limited player. He lacks game intelligence. He seems to think he is better than what he is. Compare Martial to 'Son/Hazard/Mane/Sane..' all of these players just apply themselves far more and far better.

I stopped saying anything because on here, Martial is some type of footballing genius.

Well, judge for yourselves. A considerable talent, but he lacks real desire, real application. It's almost like he feels like the world owes him something, and he believes his own hype.
Huge problem these fans has become. I'm telling you:lol:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Just waits for the ball to be played to feet instead of making some movement off it. Then when he gets it he wants to dribble past the entire left sided defence. He then loses the ball. Rinse and repeat.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just waits for the ball to be played to feet instead of making some movement off it. Then when he gets it he wants to dribble past the entire left sided defence. He then loses the ball. Rinse and repeat.
On the regular I agree, but this game however I think he had better runs than normal, and a substantial amount of them I thought was very good. Problem was that Wolves closed down space pretty quickly so our 'creative players' such as Shaw, Pogba, Lingard and Matic didn't want to execute the pass between the lines or in behind because of the risk involved. Basically all our play was predictable and safe, not just when Martial was involved. Martial is at his best when he doesn't get the easy pass to his feet with no movement around him, but what is he supposed to do when he only gets the safe pass? He has got to try run at players, even if it means losing the ball. I'm not saying he played great or anything here, he was very frustrating but you have to play to the strength of your players. He didn't get in a good position to finish one time, which is just atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.