5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

On the regular I agree, but this game however I think he had better runs than normal, and a substantial amount of them I thought was very good. Problem was that Wolves closed down space pretty quickly so our 'creative players' such as Shaw, Pogba, Lingard and Matic didn't want to execute the pass between the lines or in behind because of the risk involved. Basically all our play was predictable and safe, not just when Martial was involved. Martial is at his best when he doesn't get the easy pass to his feet with no movement around him, but what is he supposed to do when he only gets the safe pass? He has got to try run at players, even if it means losing the ball. I'm not saying he played great or anything here, he was very frustrating but you have to play to the strength of your players. He didn't get in a good position to finish one time, which is just atrocious.
we struggled against another 3 at the back team like PSG did in the first leg. They had 2 player a CB+wingbacks on either side and shut down both flanks.

Jeffthered

Huge problem these fans has become. I'm telling you:lol:
Who said anything about fans, or anyone being a 'huge' problem?

My point is clear, on here, Martial is seen as a player who can do little wrong. Quite simple.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was very but poor it's his first start in over a month so he will take time to get back into form. Like Lingard probably will.

I can't for the life of me understand why Ole thinks he should be hugging the touchline though? Seems like such a pointless tactic. He's not Leroy Sane.

GM K

Needs someone to compete with him for his position next season to keep him motivated. He's been given the privilege of a first team player since Ole came in but I'm not even sure he's been that productive in that period.
Jose was actually right about most things about this team. The problem was that he was acting too much like a prick and eventually lost everyone's sympathy. He was certainly right about Pogba ( yhe need to focus on football, work hard for the team and keep things simpler) and not being crazy about Martial (looking for a more hardworking player as a wide man) for one.

My problem with Pogba and Martial or their lack of consistency. Their talents are not in doubt at all.

Handsome Devil

Yes, he was pretty poor last night but not in any standout way - the whole team was woeful. Wolves owned us.
I do wonder sometimes though if Martial is actually happy being in Manchester and it's not just a football thing.

Bearded One

Jose was actually right about most things about this team. The problem was that he was acting too much like a prick and eventually lost everyone's sympathy. He was certainly right about Pogba ( yhe need to focus on football, work hard for the team and keep things simpler) and not being crazy about Martial (looking for a more hardworking player as a wide man) for one.

My problem with Pogba and Martial or their lack of consistency. Their talents are not in doubt at all.
Everybody is slating Martial. Do we all realize that he just got back from a bad injury?

GM K

Everybody is slating Martial. Do we all realize that he just got back from a bad injury?
To be fair, he was very average before he got injured. His best period this season was the last few weeks before Jose was fired. In fact, he kept Jose on the job almost single handedly. Minus a few games under Ole, he has been generally average or poor.

JohnnyKills

To be fair, he was very average before he got injured. His best period this season was the last few weeks before Jose was fired. In fact, he kept Jose on the job almost single handedly. Minus a few games under Ole, he has been generally average or poor.
Yeah this. Bar that goal against Fulham he's done very little. He needs to sort himself out or he'll become a bench player.

Litch

Bet you never thought that when we were winning and both were flying? Not sure where the lack of consistency is? These two have been superb since Ole has taken over and I include Rashford in that too. Different argument but you can't win anything if Wolves have got a better midfield that we have.

Bearded One

Whilst I do not disagree with you, I think our dissapointment stems from our very lofty expectations of him. He has indeed dropped from his performance levels when he lent Jose a hand as you rightly mentioned, but I recall that he played his part in our dimunitive attacking trio along with Lingard and Rashford.

We had a crazy run at the time before we began to shake things up a bit to rotate. The Burnley draw comes to mind in that regard. And then the inevitable (injuries) kicked in again bringing us down from our "superhuman" performance levels.

Intilo

His biggest problem is , he doesn't attack space. He couldn't notice gap. Finding space and create space is one of the most important trait for an attacker , more important than dribbling skills.

GM K

Bet you never thought that when we were winning and both were flying? Not sure where the lack of consistency is? These two have been superb since Ole has taken over and I include Rashford in that too. Different argument but you can't win anything if Wolves have got a better midfield that we have.
Pogba was great until four games ago. Rashford was great until he got injured. Martial has been largely average. Let's not rewrite recent history because we have been winning.

Litch

Pogba was great until four games ago. Rashford was great until he got injured. Martial has been largely average. Let's not rewrite recent history because we have been winning.
No need to rewrite anything cause those players significantly contributed to us winning. Only in losing do people have amnesia about that.

Litch

Whilst I do not disagree with you, I think our dissapointment stems from our very lofty expectations of him. He has indeed dropped from his performance levels when he lent Jose a hand as you rightly mentioned, but I recall that he played his part in our dimunitive attacking trio along with Lingard and Rashford.

We had a crazy run at the time before we began to shake things up a bit to rotate. The Burnley draw comes to mind in that regard. And then the inevitable (injuries) kicked in again bringing us down from our "superhuman" performance levels.
Disagree. Been brilliant under Ole, contributed to the style of football and winning games, got injured and this is his first start since. The only thing that influences people's thinking is losing football matches otherwise if we had won, I guarantee most would have been more sympathetic.

Bearded One

Disagree. Been brilliant under Ole, contributed to the style of football and winning games, got injured and this is his first start since. The only thing that influences people's thinking is losing football matches otherwise if we had won, I guarantee most would have been more sympathetic.
The message I got from GM K's post is that his performance level has dropped from the time leading up to Jose's exit when he was otherworldy and I sincerely agree with that. Before his injury he has been a mix of brilliant and above average but played his part big time. That's how I see it anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The message I got from GM K's post is that his performance level has dropped from the time leading up to Jose's exit when he was otherworldy and I sincerely agree with that. Before his injury he has been a mix of brilliant and above average but played his part big time. That's how I see it anyway.
He was good before the injury as you say. Often brilliant, sometimes alright but mostly good and important. That post paints him as being downright mediocre which is ridiculous. He went absolutely phenomenal (Jose fag end) to very good (Ole). What a shame.

Give him and Lingard time to get back to speed. We need to rely more on the likes of Rashford and Pogba who have been fit all along

Bearded One

He was good before the injury as you say. Often brilliant, sometimes alright but mostly good and important. That post paints him as being downright mediocre which is ridiculous. He went absolutely phenomenal (Jose fag end) to very good (Ole). What a shame.

Give him and Lingard time to get back to speed. We need to rely more on the likes of Rashford and Pogba who have been fit all along
Good post. I am fully in agreement with you.

Ashley R1+O

Don't think he nor Lingard were really fit, we're relying on the rally and I feel like Martial's worst level will come if you're relying on him to rally. When he's played up to full speed and rolling is when you'll get the best performances.

Having said that I just see the same stuff, it was just the same typical performance. A lot of standing and waiting, a lot of just getting the ball and turning on the jets in hope. The guy hasn't progressed in his development at all and if he was a player who had a couple of years to develop before a proper evaluation then that is fine but he's just signed a huge deal? Makes literally no sense to look at him and still think "he doesn't really... fit..?"

He's just a "well I hope he does something for us today?.." player and if you like him you hope he's good, if you are skeptical you just see the same stuff over and over, whether they are good or bad performances. It's a genuine worry considering he's just signed a huge deal when he was nowhere near ready to.

Untd55

We're back again to switching his position ? As far as I'm concerned all his great games we drooled over were at left wing ?

The lad's problem is when he doesn't score, he does nothing else on the pitch. Almost every game he gets this kind of miss passing and terrible movement, but he covers this with his ability to score screamers or making an assist. When he doesn't, these things get exposed.

To become a world class player, he'll have to have a standard performance and providing a minimum when he's not scoring. He needs to realize he's not going to score every game.

That or he'll turn up to be another Quaresma (without the off pitch attitude), incredibly able to pull out great goals and assists but frustrating in his general play overall.
How many times has he even played in other positions? It is inevitable that after a lot of games a player with Martial's skill is going to eventually have a great game even though the position does not suit him.

Even those best games have come when he does a lot cutting in and coming into the middle so he can use his best asset: finishing. Whenever he stays on the left, I find him highly ineffective.

His crossing is not good enough; he rarely ever interplays effectively with Shaw; his dribbling is not effective; he rarely helps on the defensive side.

I just think that Martial is more effective in the centre, so if we are never going to play him there I think he will fail. I am not saying for certain though that he will end up good enough for Manutd as a striker, though, I think there is a greater chance than if he plays as a left winger.

el3mel

How many times has he even played in other positions? It is inevitable that after a lot of games a player with Martial's skill is going to eventually have a great game even though the position does not suit him.

Even those best games have come when he does a lot cutting in and coming into the middle so he can use his best asset: finishing. Whenever he stays on the left, I find him highly ineffective.

His crossing is not good enough; he rarely ever interplays effectively with Shaw; his dribbling is not effective; he rarely helps on the defensive side.

I just think that Martial is more effective in the centre, so if we are never going to play him there I think he will fail. I am not saying for certain though that he will end up good enough for Manutd as a striker, though, I think there is a greater chance than if he plays as a left winger.
All his managers prefer him on the left. Since LVG days he was playing on the left. There's no indication he's gonna be greater in other positions. Other managers would have surely noticed by time that his qualities are better in the center if it's actually is.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
When has Martial ever been 'otherworldy'? I've never watched a game of his since his first season where I thought he tore the opposition to pieces, as some.of our wingers have in years gone by. It's this type of hyperbole that is ruining Martial, think he believes his own bullshit hype.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's not a winger so why we persist in having him hug the touchline and get isolated is beyond me.

Remember Cardiff when him, Rashford and Lingard were all in close proximity and interchanging? Why aren't we doing that?

Also, when it works, it's great that he plays neat, intricate stuff as he makes his way into the box but sometimes he just needs to fecking cross the ball. Learn from Ashley Young about cutting back and inswinging cause that was Young's one move.

He's not a winger so why we persist in having him hug the touchline and get isolated is beyond me.

Remember Cardiff when him, Rashford and Lingard were all in close proximity and interchanging? Why aren't we doing that?

Also, when it works, it's great that he plays neat, intricate stuff as he makes his way into the box but sometimes he just needs to fecking cross the ball. Learn from Ashley Young about cutting back and inswinging cause that was Young's one move.
Well,that front 3 is rather inconsistent and another point is Wolves aren't as rubbish nor as tactically naive as Cardiff.

SATA

He's a streaky player like most of our players are, and he's overrated personally for me. He hasn't progress at all since he arrived here. Still the same old sulky Martial who only wants the ball at his feet and runs into blind spots all the time and scores the occasional good goal. We really need a forward who is so consistent like v.Persie and Ruud who can keep delivering goals. Boy do i miss them

KennyBurner

I'm going to say this now but if we get Sancho then Martial will be in trouble. Sounds crazy because our right wing is so devoid, but Lingard is far more consistent and has more energy than Martial.

Unless Martial start delivering on the potential then there's going to be a big decision to make.
Post makes little to no sense. Getting sancho is only an advantage for martial because it takes pressure of him always having to deliver on the left. All our attacks come through the left hand side when the opposition sets a low block. With sancho in the side he could drift into the box more to get on the end of crosses. Also he wouldn’t need to have 3 designated markers each game. Lingard could never replace what he does.

Still doesn’t excuse his lethargic and lack of effortless. I’m really getting fed up with him keeping a low profile with each passing game. Needs to take command and force the issue even if it doesn’t work out the first time. Martial needs to take more risks.

Bearded One

When has Martial ever been 'otherworldy'? I've never watched a game of his since his first season where I thought he tore the opposition to pieces, as some.of our wingers have in years gone by. It's this type of hyperbole that is ruining Martial, think he believes his own bullshit hype.
His performances just before Jose's sack as I mentioned earlier. Feel free to disagree.

It's B Rubble

A firing Martial requires a bombing Shaw and Pogba realizing he can be the best mid in the world. That left depends on what space Shaw opens with overlapping runs and Pogs bouncing passes to each. None of them were there and that made all three of them stink :boring:

laughtersassassin

Been quite injury prone this season. Feels like every few weeks he has another small injury that keeps him out for a few games.

settembrini

Sounds like he wasn't fully fit last night then.
He didn't look fit and neither did Herrera.

Lingard was also rushed back far too early against Liverpool and I'm not convinced that Rashford has been fit since Henderson kicked him in that game.

BurtSpangle

For me, his best season and best performances were his first season. That's worrying. The occasional wonder goal shouldn't cover up generally ineffective performances. Personally, I think he'd be better upfront making short movements, he doesn't seem particularly quick over long distances, moreso the first 10 yards. Ball retention is poor sometimes however. I think out of all our forward players he shows the most promise, but I think we need a world class coach who is known for coaching attacking football, it's something we have not had for years. I think he could be just as good as someone like Sane if he was playing under Guardiola, unfortunately he's regressing.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have to say that these little injuries he keeps picking are a bit worrying. Now if this is a standard miss international break knock then it's fine ( though he hasn't really played enough lately to need a break, a couple of matches would've done him good). If he keeps missing matches he's gonna struggle to find form and consistency, he's already struggled under Jose for regular game time and since Ole's come in he's missed at least half the matches, that's almost 3 stop-start seasons, hardly ideal for a young player with prodigious talent.

Pain in his knee apparently, he's come back to Carrington for tests. Sounds like a bit of an Alex Ferguson excuse to me.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pain in his knee apparently, he's come back to Carrington for tests. Sounds like a bit of an Alex Ferguson excuse to me.
If it were Pogba, who is an established player for France, I would agree with you but Martial hasn't been called up in a long while, I really think the injury is real (hopefully not too serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.