Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Martial wasn't lazy under LVG - he's only become lazy under Jose

I think if he got on well with the manager he would give more than what we're seeing.
I think he gave a little bit extra as he was new and was also the star of the team. But I always remember him as a pretty languid player even then. It was just less of a problem as we usually dominated possession and he wasn't required to go chasing for the ball half the time.

Aloysius's Back 3

He was required to do less work that's why.
And exactly the problem - Jose's type of football means the whole team have to play like 11 ji sung parks.

That's absolutely not necessary as seen by multiple teams across the world who attempt to hold possession especially against clubs like Brighton FC. There is no reason for us to purposely lose the ball to play on the counter attack which is a complete waste of time and is a common issue bought up against quality technical players by Jose.

Sure martial may be overrated - but that's because he is mis-managed. He isn't playing in a role that gets the best out of him, is not given a fair chance to play as a striker who is not a target man & ultimately plays substandard due to substandard capability of the manager to get any use of him.

Same with pogba, Rashfprd, Lukaku, - hell nearly everyone except Lingard who is played in the right position.

RedDevil@84

Did not help his case much. What puts me off is when he gets the ball, he either over-dribbles or puts in a no look cross which usually ends up with the opposition player. He tried to get rid of the ball as soon as possible and ends up paying crap cross or pass

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is it me or he is turning into "back pass" Antonio?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
He was better under LVG as all passes where to feet, which suited his complete lack of off the ball movement.

Eddy_JukeZ

Hasn't progressed 1 bit since his 1st season and clearly isn't putting the effort required.

Did he even run today besides that 1 run he had? I don't recall it. He's a statue on the field. He does not move.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Was terrible but when all attackers look terrible there is a systemic problem that needs addressing.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Would it kill him to make a run off the ball every so often?

I don't really care if we sell him any more. If he goes on to develop like De Bruyne or Salah elsewhere, so be it. He doesn't look like doing it here.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How can you blame Jose if this is what he gives on the pitch ? Rashford is atleast putting that effort. Neither of them are good enough to start now

Member 5225

Some of the Martial defenders are the worst. He clearly doesn't care and is actually not that good of a player. I said a year ago he isn't going to be the world class player some think he would, and I still stand by that to this day. If a big offer came in I'd happily move him in.
But when he inevitably moves to a lower league, like to Bayern or PSG and does the odd good thing or scores / assists vs very inferior opposition, we’d no doubt get the inevitable ‘told ya so’ - just wait for it...

kidbob

Seen someone compare him to Nani, quite a disservice to the Portuguese lad that one. I'm recovering from a broken leg and I reckon I've covered more ground than Martial today. If he were to leave right now he would be hands down one of the worst transfers the club has ever made.

MAME DIOUF 32

I'd hate to see such a talent go at his age, but what else can you do if a player clearly doesn't want to be on the pitch? He'll either absolutely tear it up somewhere else or he'll sulk through his whole career and be a shadow of what he could have been.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Seen someone compare him to Nani, quite a disservice to the Portuguese lad that one. I'm recovering from a broken leg and I reckon I've covered more ground than Martial today. If he were to leave right now he would be hands down one of the worst transfers the club has ever made.
:lol: :lol: tagline checks out. One of the worst signings we’ve ever made? Give over.

forevrared

The thing that's frustrating for me is that no one seems to give any thought to the player he was before Sanchez came in. He had something like 10 goals and 8 assists by January last year, then was unceremoniously dropped for Sanchez, who was never dropped, no matter how poor he was. Martial would get back in to the team for a game here or there, but was never given a chance to play his way into form and full match fitness. He had 30+ goals for the club by the time he was 21 and all of a sudden he couldn't get a game, despite probably the best few months of his United career to that point. I'd rather he have taken it as a challenge, of course, but Mourinho has not done him any favors with the way he's treated him. He's done this to young players most of his career. Had he shown the same devotion to Martial last season he did to Sanchez, who knows what sort of player we'd have on our hands? Instead, he's gone for the power trip and gone on to blast him in the press for being away when his wife was having pregnancy complications. If I were in Martial's shoes, I wouldn't be happy playing for a manager who thought that was acceptable. One of the lowest moments of Jose's time with United, for me. Shit situation all around, but for me the blame lies on both Martial and Mourinho.

There's some serious revisionist history going on now with people who would have you believe he's not good enough for United.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The thing that's frustrating for me is that no one seems to give any thought to the player he was before Sanchez came in. He had something like 10 goals and 8 assists by January last year, then was unceremoniously dropped for Sanchez, who was never dropped, no matter how poor he was. Martial would get back in to the team for a game here or there, but was never given a chance to play his way into form and full match fitness. He had 30+ goals for the club by the time he was 21 and all of a sudden he couldn't get a game, despite probably the best few months of his United career to that point. I'd rather he have taken it as a challenge, of course, but Mourinho has not done him any favors with the way he's treated him. He's done this to young players most of his career. Had he shown the same devotion to Martial last season he did to Sanchez, who knows what sort of player we'd have on our hands? Instead, he's gone for the power trip and gone on to blast him in the press for being away when his wife was having pregnancy complications. If I were in Martial's shoes, I wouldn't be happy playing for a manager who thought that was acceptable. One of the lowest moments of Jose's time with United, for me. Shit situation all around, but for me the blame lies on both Martial and Mourinho.

There's some serious revisionist history going on now with people who would have you believe he's not good enough for United.
Maybe he should show us the player he is. You don't need to be in form to move better and put more effort in than he is now.

The Sanchez thing is a total cop out. As someone else pointed out - look at City. Did Sane cry when Mahrez got signed and he went even further back in the pecking order, despite scoring a tonne last season?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maybe he should show us the player he is. You don't need to be in form to move better and put more effort in than he is now.

The Sanchez thing is a total cop out. As someone else pointed out - look at City. Did Sane cry when Mahrez got signed and he went even further back in the pecking order, despite scoring a tonne last season?
To some extent I agree. On the other hand, it wasn't just Sanchez. Martial was outperforming Rashford for a month or two before Mourinho finally started picking Martial as first choice, and then in the second half of the season Rashford was moved ahead of him in the pecking order again despite Martial still outperforming him (barring one or two good games from Rashford). He also randomly had his shirt number taken off him the previous season (which I always found strange since Zlatan was never really connected with one number).

So while I do agree he could react better and show more drive, I can also understand him not being happy. It simply does feel like Martial is treated differently than the people he is competing with, and he has to massively outperform them to get 'fair' treatment while they get away with murder. He likely feels the same way.

jem

He is nowhere near as good as Alexis. Sanchez might have days where his passing radar is off, but he’s never a total non-entity like Martial has been recently.

forevrared

That's the thing - he HAS shown the player he is and he's been dropped for it. He was exponentially more productive than Sanchez was last season. He's scored or assisted 26 goals in his 19yo season, 16 in his 20yo season, and 20 last season (all but one assist of which were by January when Sanchez signed). In two and a half seasons, he's scored or assisted 62 goals. How can you have the gall to say he's not shown what he's capable of? If I'd done that and been frozen out, whilst having my number taken off me (allegedly without being asked), I'd start to think I was being treated unfairly, as well.

City have just signed Mahrez a few weeks ago. Who knows how Sane will react to losing his place over the course of a season. What sort of comparison is that?! Never mind the fact Pep actually rotates his attackers and puts them in a system where they can all thrive.

Godfather

Sick of his sight. Get rid of him. It's a joke that a player like him still gets to start for us. And I was a fan.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's the thing - he HAS shown the player he is and he's been dropped for it. He was exponentially more productive than Sanchez was last season. He's scored or assisted 26 goals in his 19yo season, 16 in his 20yo season, and 20 last season (all but one assist of which were by January when Sanchez signed). In two and a half seasons, he's scored or assisted 62 goals. How can you have the gall to say he's not shown what he's capable of? If I'd done that and been frozen out, whilst having my number taken off me (allegedly without being asked), I'd start to think I was being treated unfairly, as well.

City have just signed Mahrez a few weeks ago. Who knows how Sane will react to losing his place over the course of a season. What sort of comparison is that?! Never mind the fact Pep actually rotates his attackers and puts them in a system where they can all thrive.
Martial has game time. He's not frozen out. He doesn't shine when given the opportunity. There's a whole flank he could make his own by putting effort in, but he seemingly doesn't want to.
Even when his numbers looked good last season, it was covering a pretty lacklustre overall game.

Aloysius's Back 3

Great post.

I also agree on the Sane comparison - who knows what will happen? The fact is sane is currently playing in his best position whilst also having to compete for it.

Martial is playing in a position which is not his best, doesn't get the best out of him & is dropped at times he has been productive.

Let's not act like Sane would not be sulking if he was being told to play in a position that is not his best & continues to get dropped when he shows good performances.

AndyJ1985

Yet another exciting young player and expensive signing whose gone down the shitter. Starting to lose count of how many times this has happened in the last few years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Great post.

I also agree on the Sane comparison - who knows what will happen? The fact is sane is currently playing in his best position whilst also having to compete for it.

Martial is playing in a position which is not his best, doesn't get the best out of him & is dropped at times he has been productive.

Let's not act like Sane would not be sulking if he was being told to play in a position that is not his best & continues to get dropped when he shows good performances.
Why are you lot crying about Sanchez while also moaning it's not his position anyway?

Aloysius's Back 3

Why are you lot crying about Sanchez while also moaning it's not his position anyway?
Because Martial is a LF/CF made to play with another striker upfront.

Jpse continues to not use 352 & to play strikers like rash & martial in partnerships - instead trying to turn Lukaku in to Drogba & Sanchez in to our Hazard. Just poor management & he struggles to get the best out of players who he himself bought to this squad.

We complain about Sanchez because he is another reason Jose continues to use 4231/433 with him on the left. He is capable on the right yet never gets played there. He was instantly brought in when martial was finding form & has yet to find any form himself.

I like Sanchez & has nothing against him - but the management of Sanchez as a direct replacement for Martial rather than finding a way of how Lukaku, Martial, Rashfprd, Sanchez, Lingard & Mata - could all play together is just p*ss poor & can not be disregarded.

Tell me you think 4231 or 4231 with a slightly retracted CAM/ppgba is the best way of getting the best of the attacking players in our squad. It is not.

Dante

Average bang
A footballer's performance isn't just about the 1 or 2 things he does. It's also about the 20 or 30 things he doesn't do.

Today's performance shows why he's below Sanchez in the pecking order, and why Fellaini was brought on to make up for Martial's lack of urgency.

Dante

Average bang
Because Martial is a LF/CF made to play with another striker upfront.

Jpse continues to not use 352 & to play strikers like rash & martial in partnerships - instead trying to turn Lukaku in to Drogba & Sanchez in to our Hazard. Just poor management & he struggles to get the best out of players who he himself bought to this squad.

We complain about Sanchez because he is another reason Jose continues to use 4231/433 with him on the left. He is capable on the right yet never gets played there. He was instantly brought in when martial was finding form & has yet to find any form himself.

I like Sanchez & has nothing against him - but the management of Sanchez as a direct replacement for Martial rather than finding a way of how Lukaku, Martial, Rashfprd, Sanchez, Lingard & Mata - could all play together is just p*ss poor & can not be disregarded.
In 2008-9 Ferguson had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov at his disposal.

That season, we scored only 68 goal (the same as Mourinho managed last season) and SAF never found a way to play all four of his forwards together. It happens.

Martial doesn't do enough on the pitch. One gif-worthy dribble every couple of matches is not the standard we should be setting for our players.

Aloysius's Back 3

A footballer's performance isn't just about the 1 or 2 things he does. It's also about the 20 or 30 things he doesn't do.

Today's performance shows why he's below Sanchez in the pecking order, and why Fellaini was brought on to make up for Martial's lack of urgency.
Absolutely bull.

Felliani was bought in for Martial & made to play straight upfront as a second target man next to Lukaku. Martial & Rashfprd continue to be utilised as makeshift wingers whilst someone like Felliani is bought of the bench to play as a second striker. Why didn't Jose move Rashfprd or Martial to play directly next to or behind Lukaku? Because as he said - his deluded eyes do not see them as strikers.

Dante

Average bang
Absolutely bull.

Felliani was bought in for Martial & made to play straight upfront as a second target man next to Lukaku. Martial & Rashfprd continue to be utilised as makeshift wingers whilst someone like Felliani is bought of the bench to play as a second striker. Why didn't Jose move Rashfprd or Martial to play directly next to or behind Lukaku? Because as he said - his deluded eyes do not see them as strikers.
Physician heal thyself.

Aloysius's Back 3

In 2008-9 Ferguson had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov at his disposal.

That season, we scored only 68 goal (the same as Mourinho managed last season) and SAF never found a way to play all four of his forwards together. It happens.

Martial doesn't do enough on the pitch. One gif-worthy dribble every couple of matches is not the standard we should be setting for our players.
Again absolutely rubbish

We play Lukaku as a sole target man with Sanchez on the left and Mata as a RW. And I'm supposed to believe that that formation & players is better than Martial & Rashfprd playing in a striking partnership utilizing their stronger feet at angles with Sanchez playing behind whilst all 3 of them could rotate around in the same positions never mind the back up capability of the likes of Rashfprd, Lingard to actually play like forwards and mata to play as an attacking midfielder.

We have bloody Lukaku playing as a target man - something he says he is not good at & then mata as a RW - why not play a formation we do not need both of these?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Sanchez has his off days... His passing can be erratic, he often gives the impression he's trying too hard but, he can never be accused of not showing up. He will always want to get on the ball.

As for this joker...Well...

Status
Not open for further replies.