5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CA1

The worst signing we've ever made pound for pound.

I reckon he's topped Di Maria this summer because at least people wanted to buy him so we got some money back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We’re flogging a dead horse with him. An absolute myth, get rid and be done with it.

Yet another of our spoilt brat, primadonna’s who thinks he’s too good for the club.

JohnnyKills

Respect your opinion but I don't agree mate. Sanchez had a horrid first half but in the second he was getting the ball both in and into a lot of dangerous positions, it was his timing / execution that was a bit off, but nevertheless the ideas were clearly there. Martial did nothing today apart from a run into the box.

I think the criticism of Sanchez on here has been very harsh. He hasn't been good but he's still clearly a creative player who tries very hard, sees passes that our other players don't and sometimes does things that other players can't. Martial has his strengths over Sanchez and may indeed have a higher ceiling but I feel his (recent) performances have been very overrated on here.
To be honest they've both been awful since Sánchez signed. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Sánchez joined the mutiny and started giving off the sort of vibes he gave towards the end of his time at Arsenal.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I wanna see how he would do under a different manager before I write him off
He would probably do well under a manager like Pep, Klopp, or Sarri, seeing that those are managers renowned for elevating their attacking players. He has to improve his workrate and movement off the ball a lot though.

I think he's very talented but he's just completely incompatible with Jose, and looks like he's done trying.

Coops73

Let this kid go, he doesn’t want to be here if what his agent says is true and for me he’s showed nothing for quite some time.

NinjaFletch

He would probably do well under a manager like Pep, Klopp, or Sarri, seeing that those are managers renowned for elevating their attacking players. He has to improve his workrate and movement off the ball a lot though.

I think he's very talented but he's just completely incompatible with Jose, and looks like he's done trying.
I'm absolutely certain all three of those would have fecked him for for an equally as talented player (of whom all three have several) who wasn't a mopey cnut who spends 89 minutes of a football match looking bored and not working for his team.

spiriticon

I'm sure he does give a shit. Just had a bad game. I only saw up until 3-1 and he wasn't that bad up until that point, guess it went off the rails after huh?
Ummm, I thought he was poor from the first minute actually. Just was never up for it. I mean he's not the only one today, but with so much speculation on him you would have thought he'd be up for proving a few people wrong.

But no.

I agree - his weaknesses can be solved with a bit of good coaching

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
To be honest they've both been awful since Sánchez signed. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Sánchez joined the mutiny and started giving off the sort of vibes he gave towards the end of his time at Arsenal.
Yeah, seeing that it's his last chance to win something big. He has to do better himself, but given how convinced I am that the woeful performances of our attacking players are down to our manager, I am reluctant really to judge the players too harshly at this stage.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I'm absolutely certain all three of those would have fecked him for for an equally as talented player (of whom all three have several) who wasn't a mopey cnut who spends 89 minutes of a football match looking bored and not working for his team.
It's quite possible, but it's also possible that he'd be a lot more motivated playing in a system that suits him better. Don't recall him being mopey and listless under Van Gaal.

JohnnyKills

Yeah, seeing that it's his last chance to win something big. He has to do better himself, but given how convinced I am that the woeful performances of our attacking players are down to our manager, I am reluctant really to judge the players too harshly at this stage.
Yeah completely agree. Plenty of them would do better under a new manager.

NinjaFletch

It's quite possible, but it's also possible that he'd be a lot more motivated playing in a system that suits him better. Don't recall him being mopey and listless under Van Gaal.
Are we really at the point where people are going to pretend like Van Gaal's football suited players like Martial?

JohnnyKills

Yeah i don't remember the Cafistas moaning about his sulkiness back then either. And he didn't come with any reputation for being difficult either.

Member 5225

Such a myth that he’d flourish at a Liverpool, City etc.

The Liverpool winger DNA is one with massive work rate, of which he has zero.

City have the likes of Sane hardly getting a look-in (for starting) despite an amazing season last season, Martial would probably have a mental breakdown!

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Are we really at the point where people are going to pretend like Van Gaal's football suited players like Martial?
Think Van Gaal's system generally allowed Martial to focus on his attacking game by creating space for him on the wings, having him hug the touchline to dribble past players, and papering over his weaknesses by e.g. not forcing him to chase the ball 50% of the time given that the team hogged possession so much. Under Jose, Martial hardly keeps width anymore, instead adding to the congestion in the middle of the pitch, and he doesn't get that much time on the ball anymore because (a) the attack is no longer focused through him, and (b) we don't really care about retaining possession anymore.

NinjaFletch

Think Van Gaal's system generally allowed Martial to focus on his attacking game by creating space for him on the wings, having him hug the touchline to dribble past players, and papering over his weaknesses by e.g. not forcing him to chase the ball 50% of the time given that the team hogged possession so much. Under Jose, Martial hardly keeps width anymore, instead adding to the congestion in the middle of the pitch, and he doesn't get that much time on the ball anymore because (a) the attack is no longer focused through him, and (b) we don't really care about retaining possession anymore.
Nah, I'm sorry, but that's selective amnesia.

We hogged possession by playing slow risk free football and moved up the pitch so slowly that other teams were well back in their shape by the time we got there.

As a result we created absolutely feck all. Martial did well, but it was inspite of the philosophy not because of it.

Aloysius's Back 3

Gets played as a LW, does sh*t, gets subbed on for fellaini who ends up playing upfront next to Lukaku :lol: That is some absoutely nuts management.

automaticflare

Such a myth that he’d flourish at a Liverpool, City etc.

The Liverpool winger DNA is one with massive work rate, of which he has zero.

City have the likes of Sane hardly getting a look-in (for starting) despite an amazing season last season, Martial would probably have a mental breakdown!
Completely agree
Without moping his work rate could be improved. Doesn’t take a manager to do that.

At times sane played as wing back last season and was quality and worked just as hard going back and I’m the press.

This guy has mental issues. I don’t think he will
Ever become a top player

There is a level that top players keep by ensuring that at a minimum their work rate turns up every week

Aloysius's Back 3

Nah, I'm sorry, but that's selective amnesia.

We hogged possession by playing slow risk free football and moved up the pitch so slowly that other teams were well back in their shape by the time we got there.

As a result we created absolutely feck all. Martial did well, but it was inspite of the philosophy not because of it.
No - its nots selective amnesia. The football was ultimately played on the ground and between the likes of Rashford, Lingard & martial - they all had a very similair type of playing football. He wouldnt have to cross the ball as much, he played much more like a forward & ultimately was there only to cover for memphis's poor season.

Fast forward to Jose - he is supposed to play as a LM who provides width more than being central to goal, plays in a team that hoof's the ball alot, plays around players who are target men ( a complete different type of football to LVG's system), playes in a formation where he has to provide defensive cover due to willingness by the manager to not control the game's possesion - how can you say that Jose & LVG's system is not the same.

Lukaky would have struggled for LVG, Martial would as he is- struggle for Jose.

ash_86

When Pogba had the ball on the counter, he was fecking running parallel to him. WTF. Go on boy, get on your bike and beat the defenders for pace . It's like someone has to manually press L1 for him to make a run past the defender. Just fecking useless footballing brain and for some reason we seem to attract these kind of players.

JoaquinJoaquin

Some of the Martial defenders are the worst. He clearly doesn't care and is actually not that good of a player. I said a year ago he isn't going to be the world class player some think he would, and I still stand by that to this day. If a big offer came in I'd happily move him in.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Say what you want about Sánchez but at least he puts the work in and keeps trying even if it isn’t coming right for him yet. I’m tired of seeing half arsed performances from Martial being defended by his fan base.

NinjaFletch

No - its nots selective amnesia. The football was ultimately played on the ground and between the likes of Rashford, Lingard & martial - they all had a very similair type of playing football. He wouldnt have to cross the ball as much, he played much more like a forward & ultimately was there only to cover for memphis's poor season.

Fast forward to Jose - he is supposed to play as a LM who provides width more than being central to goal, plays in a team that hoof's the ball alot, plays around players who are target men ( a complete different type of football to LVG's system), playes in a formation where he has to provide defensive cover due to willingness by the manager to not control the game's possesion - how can you say that Jose & LVG's system is not the same.

Lukaky would have struggled for LVG, Martial would as he is- struggle for Jose.
Look, LVG wasn't that long ago. I'm slightly jealous you've managed to block the atrocious football we played under him out of your memory, but unfortunately the tediously repetitive games of keep ball around the half way line are burnt on most of our collective memories still.

But hey, why not use this here forum to search back through how utterly dire everyone thought it was at the time? I can promise you the idea that LVG's system suited Martial will be no where to be found.

Janson

"Everyone else was also shite." That's the excuse that seems popular lately.

Aloysius's Back 3

Look, LVG wasn't that long ago. I'm slightly jealous you've managed to block the atrocious football we played under him out of your memory, but unfortunately the tediously repetitive games of keep ball around the half way line are burnt on most of our collective memories still.

But hey, why not use this here forum to search back through how utterly dire everyone thought it was at the time? I can promise you the idea that LVG's system suited Martial will be no where to be found.
LVG held back the team with his tactics - yet it was Martial & rashford who were the shining light/goal scorers/only performers out of LVG's own restrictions of football.
Right now we have another manager who purposely restricts his football but also restricts the type of football that would get the best out of players like Martial & Rashford but enables the best out of the likes of Lukaku and Fellaini - the two strikers he utlised when the going got tough today.

A manager who uses Lukaku & Fellaini as strikers but does not give MArtial & Rashford chance to play upfront in partnerships is ultimately not a manager who has the capability to get the best out of martial.

el3mel

He's not going to cut it at a top club with this atrocious level of movement. With all these teddy shooting and some nice dribbling skills, no one will take him in a big team competing up front if he's not willing to run and move.

Good talent, but a tier 2 club talent. We're currently more of a tier 2 club though with zero hopes of winning big trophies so he's at the right place anyway.

Not sure coaching will improve the lazy attitude he has, unless the coach happens to be a psychologist. Problem is not with his feet but between the ears imo.
Martial wasn't lazy under LVG - he's only become lazy under Jose

I think if he got on well with the manager he would give more than what we're seeing.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Over-hyped by United fans. Over-hyped by non-United who want the story of the next Jose reject to become a star.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The way United fans regard Martial reminds me a bit of how the Scousers treated Harry Kewell: the less he played the more overrated he became.

The guy can dribble for sure but then so could Denilson.

Martial is still young so he might get a lot better. However, at this moment in time, there’s no reason to believe he’ll ever have a season like Nani did in 2009/10 or 2010/11.

Scoring 17 times for a team that finishes fifth is not something to be treasured at a team with United’s ambitions.

Do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.