5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw

Much better in the 2nd half! His first half fecking annoyed me though and I hope we don't see more of that from him.

Ace of Spades

As the game went on, his confidence kept increasing. I would start with the same front three for the majority of games, it has plenty of potential.

Holters

I am starting to believe he is one of the most overrated talents around. His dribbling isn't nearly as good as it is made out to be, and he lacks basic fotballing skills like simple deliveries/passes. So many times you see him running at the opposition only to be easily stopped or he deliveres a misplaced pass or passes behind his teammate stopping all progress. Or holds on the ball to long. He really needs to improve his over all game to make it on the highest level. With that being said, not his worst performance today. Decent in the second half at least.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Like others, struggled in the first half (think it's because of pace of the pitch) but he was lot better in the second half. Glad he scored and made some very good runs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not really sure what people are on about. Poor first half, little bit better in the second but flattered by the goal where he only had to run forward and finish it and it still hit the defender I think?
Nowt to write home about like some are making out but hopefully a confidence boost.

KennyBurner

Better second half from him. Hopefully he has moved up the ranks and replaced Rashford in the pecking order when it comes to substitutions. He still needs more gametime to effectively build his confidence and make him start running at the opposition again. I really hate it when he tries to cross the ball instead of running to the line.

Aloysius's Back 3

As the game went on, his confidence kept increasing. I would start with the same front three for the majority of games, it has plenty of potential.
It just needs a minor adaptation -

Play Rashford as a LF, Lukaku as a RF and Martial as the CF/false 9 and everyone will be in their best positions.

Fullbacks crossing will get Lukaku in the back post more often too.

I did notice in general that we lined up a bit more centrally with the front 3 - just needs to fix that up permanently & Jose has then done well.

flappyjay

20 minutes on the weekend and another full match vs Derby should get him challenging Sanchez

acnumber9

Much better second half. He looked for the ball and was running at them. Hopefully the goal will do him some good.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The only decent performance from the front 3. Lukaku was peripheral, Rashford messed up a lot.

Martial managed a few good dribbles and runs and a lucky goal, mixed in with some terrible passing. Needs some match fitness to get on the same wavelength as the other attackers.

fallengt

Poor first half but then you have Rashford who was even more pointless. I'll take Martial any time.

Different player after half time. Looked something like himself
Yes. Much better the second half. But by then the game was essentially done and dusted. Hopefully he can put a run of performances together and use this as a springboard when he’s next on the pitch.

AR87

His work rate in and out of possession in the 2nd half was miles above anything I've seen from him in awhile. Looked hungry. I wouldn't say it was a great performance but the spirit in it was excellent. If he keeps playing with that type of verve and energy on the pitch he will produce.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He needs a run of games now - Jose should leave him in the team.
We have to win games not focus on getting Martial to play better.

He was average today, not bad but not good either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t see why he and Sanchez cannot both start at the weekend. Or is Lingard some sort of automatic starter now? He was awful at Watford.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Get a few goals ahead, take the sting out the game and he's almost useful.

Seriously though his biggest issue is playing in intense games when we're under pressure. Always has been. Tonight doesn't really disprove anything, he was awful in the first half.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have to win games not focus on getting Martial to play better.
That’s hardly what she said or implied.

So by ‘winning games’, does that mean ‘play Alexis Sanchez’?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shocking in the first half but good in the 2nd half. Like @Irish Jet has said, he seems to struggle when the game is fast paced and we are under the kosh. It's not a surprise that he thrived under LVG where we played at a snails pace and he was the one to inject a bit of intent into the game.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Poor first half from the whole team pretty much, he doesn't seem to be able to drag his teammates from mediocrity, but he definitely improved in the second half and played like he had a motor. Got a lucky goal, but he deserved to get something because his movement was better than what we've seen from him lately. His final pass, outside of a chance for Mata, was pretty poor but that's pretty much an indictment on the entire team. Deserves to start ahead of Sanchez this weekend.

Djemba-Djemba

Totally invisible first half but improved in the 2nd and hopefully ending his goal drought gives him some confidence now.

I'd start him on Saturday.

Hoof the ball

Intensity.

He didn't plod, trot, jog or walk in the second half. He got the ball and tried to force the play a little. When his mindset matches his talent, he's outstanding.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Play Rashford as a LF, Lukaku as a RF and Martial as the CF/false 9 and everyone will be in their best positions.
The fact that Lukaku had played a few good games on the right (against Arsenal, Brazil... were there more?) doesn't mean that it's his best position and not the one that he had played hundreds of games in.

3KDré

Grew into the game. When you're a winger you need confidence to beat your man, if we keep playing him he will grow in confidence and he will be better for it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The fact that Lukaku had played a few good games on the right (against Arsenal, Brazil... were there more?) doesn't mean that it's his best position and not the one that he had played hundreds of games in.
It's not just about initially being deployed on the right. Whenever he drifts to the right for us in games with another one of our attackers occupying the CF spot, he's so much better. He can cut in and play a decent defence splitting pass, can beat his man out wide and whip in a good cross (in fact he's one of our best crossers, if not the best) and still remains a goal threat.

I'd 100% deploy him on the right with Alexis and Martial occupying the left and central positions.

Aloysius's Back 3

Well he himself says he isn't a target man and likes to run in behind the defence which will be easier if he plays in the channels in between the LB and LCB rather than RCB and LCB.

In the centre he breaks down too many moves & I don't see it becoming all that better - Martial has showed some poor passing but I feel like he can improve as well he has a good first touch. Play him as a False 9 and the other two centrally on either side of him.

What do you think his best position is?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Martial should NOT be on the left. He may have scored today but I thought he was horrible. He had a couple of good moves in the second half, but other than that he sucked. Even on his goal, that ball is screaming to be hit with his left but he cuts into his right and gets a lucky bounce. Put him on the right and let him burn his players wide. From the left he will burn them to the outside but then have to stop to cut back to his right and it allows defenders to get goal side of him. Bring back the days where right footers were on the right and left footers were on the left. Worked for Giggs and Beckham...

Stubble

Good to see Martial tracking back and putting in a number of attempted tackles as well as a half decent attacking display tonight. Seemed a much better attitude from him all round. Hopefully he can keep this up and be a big part of the setup, i just can't see him usurping Sanchez though no matter how well he plays..

Canagel

He offers a goal threat which is why he should stay in the team. Even on a day where he isn't 10/10 he still has the quality to beat a player and score. No surprise that he grew into the game. His last game was Brighton and was taken off at half time as well. Needed some time to get into the match rhythm. Must get a run of games now to build the confidence further.

Status
Not open for further replies.