5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janson

At his best when he is told to hug the touchline, where we can get him into 1v1 situations, as he found himself so many times tonight against Derby's right back.

Based on that performance, I would start him on the weekend, with Sanchez playing behind Lukaku.
Not a bad idea, and Lingard on the right.

Jojo <3 Mou

He really tried today. Was really good in the first half. Worked hard and was tracking back. He tried to pull the team forward when we had 10 men but sadly his radar was off.

I hope to see this effort and more from Martial with better and more composed finishing.

KennyBurner

The standards have fallen so bad at United. If you never knew the result you would think he scored a hatrick by reading some of the comments in here. He was involved in the first goal and done nothing the rest of the half, made one or two nice runs and missed a chance late on and scored his penalty. Dalot and Fellaini done okay and Martial was average. Not near as effective as he should be, the team didn't perform near well enough. Too many fans are just about a player than Man United. This Martial Fc obsession is embarrassing, considering his performances this season and behaviour off the pitch. I'm all for positivity and all players form improving but a bit of realism. I know for a fecking fact the same that are praising him in here tonight would be hammering Sanchez tonight if he played like that.
That bit about Sanchez is very embarrassing from you given Sanchez need to put in an average performance which he never actually does. Just because we are encouraged by a player who hardly plays coming in and displaying what we expect from a starter doesn’t mean our standards have fallen.

Morpheus 7

Somehow I feel if Sanchez had played like that, you would have had a different assessment. Fortunately, most people actually saw his performance for what it was, encouraging compared to the rest of the team save for Dalot and Fellaini, and that Sanchez should be his back up or in another position, not the other way around...as it should have been since last January.
Sanchez hasn't been good enough for United. It's not Martial v Sanchez for me, it's who plays well and does it for United. Unfortunately both haven't performed well enough in a while. I support Mufc not Martial Fc like many in here.

Negan

The sooner people realise that neither Martial nor Sanchez are United players, the better.

I’m sick of this merry go round. We have too much deadwood in our squad. Players who aren’t fit to wear the badge. We need to be signing players that resemble the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Keane. We keep making the mistake of going for these “marquee/world class” stars who probably don't even know who George Best is.

Bale was the one we needed. Perisic would have way better than Sanchez.

Morpheus 7

That bit about Sanchez is very embarrassing from you given Sanchez need to put in an average performance which he never actually does. Just because we are encouraged by a player who hardly plays coming in and displaying what we expect from a starter doesn’t mean our standards have fallen.
I mentioned Sanchez to illustrate the double standards and favouritism that has developed. The only thing is embarrassing is how some choose to support the club these days. I want whoever plays to do the business for the club, I find it odd to support just an individual like some. I don't understand the praise for a very mediocre performance. If Martial won us this game and played great I would be praising him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He had some spark but his main problem is that he's not getting anything on target. 5 shots, 4 off target and 1 blocked. His accuracy is appaling. He did at least provide some danger though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I mentioned Sanchez to illustrate the double standards and favouritism that has developed. The only thing is embarrassing is how some choose to support the club these days. I want whoever plays to do the business for the club, I find it odd to support just an individual like some. I don't understand the praise for a very mediocre performance. If Martial won us this game and played great I would be praising him.
If you're such a United fan, you should remember he was one of the most productive players last season before Sanchez came around. That's not to say he doesn't have his flaws, but what he brings is more dangerous than what Sanchez or Rashford can bring. He's now slowly starting to show some confidence and he's getting more games by Mourinho. If anything, you should be encouraged with him to keep up with it and be optimistic that you get a confident Martial, because that can produce wins as he showed last season. No one in here is calling him amazing, or showering him with hyperbole, it's just finding encouragement where there is so little to spare, you should try that. Or, you can poopoo his performance (which was one of about three in the entire team that was encouraging) and call anyone who is encouraged Martial FC...that's good too.

KennyBurner

Yes I understand your double standards but it still doesn’t make sense because Sanchez has been a complete flop so far. If Sanchez was doing any good there wouldn’t be a martial fc. You also say favoritism but then fail to understand that things are that way because Sanchez has once again been a complete flop. Martial fc is what it is because fans believe we are wasting a gem over a player who might get sent to China next year.

Sometimes it seems people might be to supportive of martial because of the long term value they see in him which is beneficial to The club so martial fc in truth is actual just another name for Manchester United fc.

TsuWave

The sooner people realise that neither Martial nor Sanchez are United players, the better.

I’m sick of this merry go round. We have too much deadwood in our squad. Players who aren’t fit to wear the badge. We need to be signing players that resemble the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Keane. We keep making the mistake of going for these “marquee/world class” stars who probably don't even know who George Best is.

such a bad post :lol:

Morpheus 7

Yes I understand your double standards but it still doesn’t make sense because Sanchez has been a complete flop so far. If Sanchez was doing any good there wouldn’t be a martial fc. You also say favoritism but then fail to understand that things are that way because Sanchez has once again been a complete flop. Martial fc is what it is because fans believe we are wasting a gem over a player who might get sent to China next year.

Sometimes it seems people might be to supportive of martial because of the long term value they see in him which is beneficial to The club so martial fc in truth is actual just another name for Manchester United fc.
You are chatting about Sanchez alot, Rashford should be also included in the conversation. You missed the point and made it in to a Sanchez V Martial. It's about Martial's performances and they haven't been good enough. Maybe people are just excited to see him play. Your last paragraph was non sensical. I'd like Martial and Sanchez to do well but get frustrated by favourtism in here, they both haven't been good enough as I said. Maybe we interpret performances different, for me the praise on here wasn't deserved tonight. I have no issue calling people out on something I don't agree with.

jem

If you're such a United fan, you should remember he was one of the most productive players last season before Sanchez came around. That's not to say he doesn't have his flaws, but what he brings is more dangerous than what Sanchez or Rashford can bring. He's now slowly starting to show some confidence and he's getting more games by Mourinho. If anything, you should be encouraged with him to keep up with it and be optimistic that you get a confident Martial, because that can produce wins as he showed last season. No one in here is calling him amazing, or showering him with hyperbole, it's just finding encouragement where there is so little to spare, you should try that. Or, you can poopoo his performance (which was one of about three in the entire team that was encouraging) and call anyone who is encouraged Martial FC...that's good too.
It's great that he showed encouraging signs (I didn't see the match, so I'll have to take your word for it.) However, I really think people have overrated his contributions last season, pre-Sanchez. Yes, he scored a few, but I remember him scoring a fair number as an impact sub (which of course is of value.) I certainly don't remember his playing a vital role in too many wins last season.

Morpheus 7

Talk about taking the best of a bad situation. Tonight was a disaster and shared blame should be given out to the manager and team, no exceptions. You think he played well, I didn't. We were up against Derby at old Trafford and he wasn't good enough for the 90 minutes in my opinion. I call out the Martial Fc brigade because I think it's a joke, I feel they have double standards. If he played well he would deserve praise. I guess we have different standards when it comes to United and see the game differently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's great that he showed encouraging signs (I didn't see the match, so I'll have to take your word for it.) However, I really think people have overrated his contributions last season, pre-Sanchez. Yes, he scored a few, but I remember him scoring a fair number as an impact sub (which of course is of value.) I certainly don't remember his playing a vital role in too many wins last season.
He did more than just score a few. He was statistically one of the most clinical players in the league. His output for the playing time he was getting was excellent. That is nothing but commendable.

And we have to apply the right context here. Keeping in mind our team's general level post SAF, Martial's best/better phases at United stands out as one of the more impressive bits (particularly in attack). Viewed in the light of Sanchez stinking up the left wing after, it appears all the more attractive.

Personally I'll take a huge talent with flair and the ability to beat defenders anyday over an established player who appears spent. The payoff with Martial will be greater. Plus, like I said, you want his qualities from your LW. To commit defender, to test them defensively, make the sweat etc

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Jesus, people are really upset about different people huh. So many weird agendas atm. Thought he played pretty good, he has that ball glued to his feet but he really needs to work on releasing it.

InfiniteBoredom

The strings of 1-0 wins in December and the winning goal against Spurs at OT earlier, that's already 4 wins that he was decisive in.

Martial was just as if not more important to us the 1st half last season compared to Lukaku, it's funny how the Mourinho apologists managed to cloud people's memory to the degree that his contribution is now limited to a few sub goals

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
As a proud Martial FC member he wasn’t even that good tonight, decision making was very hit and miss but even at operating at 60 per cent he’s proven what a diabolical decision it has been to not make him our regular man on the left flank. His effort level is on the increase because he must be sensing the end is near and he’s only harming himself but not wanting to play. He’ll be a changed man under the next manager.

redIndianDevil

This silly nonsense again. If scoring goals at the end of the game is so easy why haven't our other players been doing it this season? We were leading at Leicester, Watford.

redIndianDevil

You are chatting about Sanchez alot, Rashford should be also included in the conversation. You missed the point and made it in to a Sanchez V Martial. It's about Martial's performances and they haven't been good enough. Maybe people are just excited to see him play. Your last paragraph was non sensical. I'd like Martial and Sanchez to do well but get frustrated by favourtism in here, they both haven't been good enough as I said. Maybe we interpret performances different, for me the praise on here wasn't deserved tonight. I have no issue calling people out on something I don't agree with.
Has Rashford put in at least one average performance this season?

Renegade

Easy to say in hindsight but if you was given the choice of both last January, I’m certain your choice would have been Sánchez.

I’m convinced any attacking player signed under Jose for this UTD team will fail. It can’t be coincidence surely? Look at the season Hazard had under him. What was it 1 goal the entire season? Martial is a left forward, not a left midfielder like Giggs.

Red_Ramirez

Some of these players in the squad dont deserve the hero worshipping they get

Martial is one of them

Unreliable player

Ashley R1+O

I'm honestly still not seeing it. I wanna see it, I want to get hyped for him because he's doing the things that make me want to see more of him in the team but this morning didn't really do any more for me than feel like most of what he tried came off which was nice to see for him. He still feels like an extremely low percentage player and still doesn't know how to move when we're in possession to be dangerous as an all round attacking threat on the left.

He could just as easily come back to the League on match day, have the exact same performance and then nothing will come off for him and we'll all be left sitting here frustrated.

I have no idea what to do with him to be honest. I guess just start him on the weekend and hope for the best, but thinking as a manager would.. jeez I'd hate to have to keep making these roll the dice decisions with my job on the line.

youngrell

Decent performance last night and easily out best player during the game.

I think he should be playing closer to Lukaku, when he came more central after Romero's red, it improved Lukaku's game too. I feel we are asking too much of Lukaku to constantly occupy two defenders in isolation, especially as his close control isn't the best. It's no coincidence he had a couple of good opportunities as Martial started playing closer to him. The Derby defence was in all kinds of panic with both of them to deal with in close proximity.

We need to find a formation that allows 2 forwards centrally.

youngrell

Talk about taking the best of a bad situation. Tonight was a disaster and shared blame should be given out to the manager and team, no exceptions. You think he played well, I didn't. We were up against Derby at old Trafford and he wasn't good enough for the 90 minutes in my opinion. I call out the Martial Fc brigade because I think it's a joke, I feel they have double standards. If he played well he would deserve praise. I guess we have different standards when it comes to United and see the game differently.
He may not have had a fantastic game, but he was clearly our best performer, so it's natural that he gets praised in comparison to the other players. Why are people so ready to hate our players?

jem

This silly nonsense again. If scoring goals at the end of the game is so easy why haven't our other players been doing it this season? We were leading at Leicester, Watford.
That's why you should probably read what I said in parenthesis.

redIndianDevil

That's why you should probably read what I said in parenthesis.
No you post kind of belittled Martial's contribution last season as if scoring in the final few minutes is easier. If it's so easy why haven't we done it this season or after January?

Jeffthered

Good post. Not sure whether the Giggs, Scholes etc are out there.. but your point is valid. Neither Sanchez or Martial are what United need, because their respective performances are simply not up to it. It is their fault. Martial was good, against a very open, Championship team, for one half of the game. It's typical Martial.

The guy is over-rated, like too many United players. (Mason Mount was the one I was impressed with. At least he played with a natural flair and appreciation of the football... sadly all too rare nowadays from an English player..)

Morpheus 7

He may not have had a fantastic game, but he was clearly our best performer, so it's natural that he gets praised in comparison to the other players. Why are people so ready to hate our players?
I'd say Fellaini was our best performer when he came on sub. Not ready to hate anyone in that team, hate the standard of performances that some deem acceptable. There is a big difference.

Raven

Absolute tripe.

"We keep making the mistake of going for these “marquee/world class” stars". Then goes on about signing Bale. Crikey.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm honestly still not seeing it. I wanna see it, I want to get hyped for him because he's doing the things that make me want to see more of him in the team but this morning didn't really do any more for me than feel like most of what he tried came off which was nice to see for him. He still feels like an extremely low percentage player and still doesn't know how to move when we're in possession to be dangerous as an all round attacking threat on the left.

He could just as easily come back to the League on match day, have the exact same performance and then nothing will come off for him and we'll all be left sitting here frustrated.

I have no idea what to do with him to be honest. I guess just start him on the weekend and hope for the best, but thinking as a manager would.. jeez I'd hate to have to keep making these roll the dice decisions with my job on the line.
He's 22 years old.

Canagel

It's so obvious the talent he has. I'm on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball and runs with speed. You wish to see this player every game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We're selling Martial away from having close to none proper wingers whatsoever. The only player that was running on defenders, causing their mistakes and winning freekicks.

Sanchez could go and try put some pressure on Lukaku as striker while Martial being where he actually doing something positive.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's so obvious the talent he has. I'm on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball and runs with speed. You wish to see this player every game.
Yep, he's the only exciting player we have apart from Pogba. Watching him last night gets me excited and I enjoy watching it. I say to myself "give it to Tony!", especially when he's in those moods.

Yes he's not perfect and can improve lots of things, but he just has that raw talent that not many others have. Speed is a major attribute in football and when we don't have it we look so much worse.

I noticed that his off the ball movement last night was MUCH better than usual. He was doing 3rd man runs quite often which is rare for him, and he was pulling his full back inside and then spinning in behind (standard wingers trick) but he rarely does things like that. I hope that wasn't just a 1 off, as he's so much more effective if he does stuff like that.

jem

No you post kind of belittled Martial's contribution last season as if scoring in the final few minutes is easier. If it's so easy why haven't we done it this season or after January?
Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but I just haven’t seen Martial deliver too many match winning performances in his time here - for example, I’ve yet to see him influence a match in the way that Sanchez influenced the City comeback. For me, he’s all potential at the moment- potential worth persisting with - but potential nonetheless.

Canagel

Yep, he's the only exciting player we have apart from Pogba. Watching him last night gets me excited and I enjoy watching it. I say to myself "give it to Tony!", especially when he's in those moods.

Yes he's not perfect and can improve lots of things, but he just has that raw talent that not many others have. Speed is a major attribute in football and when we don't have it we look so much worse.

I noticed that his off the ball movement last night was MUCH better than usual. He was doing 3rd man runs quite often which is rare for him, and he was pulling his full back inside and then spinning in behind (standard wingers trick) but he rarely does things like that. I hope that wasn't just a 1 off, as he's so much more effective if he does stuff like that.
The raw talent is definitely there. The ball is glued to his feet when dribbling. When the defender doesn't know whether you're going inside or out its a nightmare. Especially if there's a fullback making an overlap on the outside. Martial has to play with Shaw imo. definitely think someone is working with him in training to improve his movement and off the ball running. I couldn't care less if he messes up once or twice. He missed chances under LVG as well and you could see the frustration on his face sometimes but it didn't matter because another chance to run at a defender would come soon and he knew that. He didn't have to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.