5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

You would think Jose will now just give him and Shaw a few weeks to build an understanding.

Pav1878

Martial as a false 9 with Sanchez and Lukaku/Rashford either side with 3 at the back and width from the wing backs is the way forward for this team. None of these players should he hugging the touchline.
Spot on. That would be the way to get the best out of what we have and maybe just maybe see some exciting attacking play.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure I agree with some of the comments.

I much prefer Martial to keep the width. That's not to say he must hug the touchline all game, but keeping him wide not only opens up the pitch, but more often than not gets him in one vs ones with the full back, where he can then run inside and link play/shoot, i.e. the goal he scored today. It's how Van Gaal used him and why he was so successful, in my opinion.

Very good in the second half and deserved his goal.

Devil may care

Despite still having some of the excrement on his shirt that Mourinho dumped on him last Satruday, he stepped up in the second half, the best of our attackers, never shirked running with the ball at the defense and trying to make something happen, and that bit of play with him and Pogba for the goal he scored was the best football we've played this season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He showed even more drive and desire once he saw he was going to stay the full game. It's almost as if young players do better when they're shown a little bit of confidence from their manager.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was invisible while we were poor, but credit to him, he stepped up when everyone did and then a bit more.

Fracture90

Despite still having some of the excrement on his shirt that Mourinho dumped on him last Satruday, he stepped up in the second half, the best of our attackers, never shirked running with the ball at the defense and trying to make something happen, and that bit of play with him and Pogba for the goal he scored was the best football we've played this season.
After 2+ years of Mourinho criticising him, dropping him, holding him to different standards, throwing him under the bus, he still comes and puts a great performance in a game that was probably Mourinho's last chance...truly poetic.

Devil may care

After 2+ years of Mourinho criticising him, dropping him, holding him to different standards, throwing him under the bus, he still comes and puts a great performance in a game that was probably Mourinho's last chance...truly poetic.
Huge irony in him and Pogba, both who have been treat like shit over the last few weeks by both Mourinho and a section of the fans, were by far the two key players in dragging us back into that farcical game.

KennyBurner

Martial is such a brilliant and important player for us to keep instructing him to cross the ball at every opportunity. The difference between him during LVG era and taking defenders to the byline and mourinho having him cross to lukaku is clear. Why mourinho can't see that is beyond me.

Martial needs a good run of 10 games in the team with other starters so they can build more chemistry. Dont even remember the last time we fielded the same 11 back to back games.

Another thing we need to do more as a team is bring martial into the game more often. He should be our main attacking outlet like we did under LVG. he is our best attacker period and needs to hold that mantle. Today we saw better attacking activity in the last 20 because he was mainly involved. He is the difference. Everyone other than mourinho knows this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not sure I agree with some of the comments.

I much prefer Martial to keep the width. That's not to say he must hug the touchline all game, but keeping him wide not only opens up the pitch, but more often than not gets him in one vs ones with the full back, where he can then run inside and link play/shoot, i.e. the goal he scored today. It's how Van Gaal used him and why he was so successful, in my opinion.

Very good in the second half and deserved his goal.
Keeping the width makes sense for Martial if he's asked to stay high up. A lot of the time Martial is asked to follow the fullback which means he's usually receiving the ball on the halfway line. He's not a danger to any team in that position.

Walters_19_MuFc

Keeping the width makes sense for Martial if he's asked to stay high up. A lot of the time Martial is asked to follow the fullback which means he's usually receiving the ball on the halfway line. He's not a danger to any team in that position.
Not sure he necessarily has to stay high up. He can track the full back and also be in a good position. What we need to work on is our build up play to ensure Martial is in a good position when we attack.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel we should let him cheat a little and stay up top a bit like Hazard does. That means we require a hard working LCM, i'm sure Fred could do that job.

He burns so much stamina chasing up and down the pitch, if he could stay higher he's a great counter attack weapon and plays much better closer to goal

Negan

Ok, then who has the United mentality? And who should we buy to bring back the United mentality into our team? Please elaborate.
Perisic is the type of player we need on the left wing. Hard working, dynamic, pacey and good crosser. Scores goals too.

He is the type of United winger we’ve seen in the past... Giggs, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Nani, Prime Valencia, etc.

Martial is a talented player but a winger he is not. Should be a rotational striker for Lukaku in my opinion.

Negan

I feel we should let him cheat a little and stay up top a bit like Hazard does. That means we require a hard working LCM, i'm sure Fred could do that job.

He burns so much stamina chasing up and down the pitch, if he could stay higher he's a great counter attack weapon and plays much better closer to goal
Actually he messed up quite a few counter attacks today. The goal was a nice finish but let’s not act like there’s not room for massive improvement and consistency. If Mourinho says this in the press, he’ll get shut down by fanboys but it’s the truth.

At United, no player ever gets an “arm round the shoulder”... you have to be mentally tough to succeed here. And sometimes I don’t think Martial is.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Actually he messed up quite a few counter attacks today. The goal was a nice finish but let’s not act like there’s not room for massive improvement and consistency. If Mourinho says this in the press, he’ll get shut down by fanboys but it’s the truth.

At United, no player ever gets an “arm round the shoulder”... you have to be mentally tough to succeed here. And sometimes I don’t think Martial is.
Ever heard of Nani? He would get the arm around the shoulder, even when he messed up because that's what he responded better to than the hairdryer treatment. It's such an outdated and antiquated way of coaching to think everyone should respond the same way to criticism instead of adapting your man-management to your players and not the other way around. There was more to his game than just the goal, and he should be a starter for the next 5-6 games so he grows more confident and show more over longer periods of time than the last 30-40m of the game.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Pleased with his performance today, especially in the last 20. He seems to have knuckled down a bit these last few weeks and got a bit more spirit to his game. It's just the start because we've seen him play better and we know what he's capable of, but this is what I wanted to see. Hopefully he kicks on from here.

owlo

He was dire for the most part. Not sure I see what others did when they say he was our 2nd best player after Pogba.

Nice goal though.

Greck

He was dire for the most part. Not sure I see what others did when they say he was our 2nd best player after Pogba.

Nice goal though.
Scored the equaliser and won the freekick for the first with one of his threatening runs. A generous description would be that he was a major catalyst in the comeback

ForestRGoinUp

His first half was pretty anonymous, though he was far from the worse player (that went to Matic and Rashford), but the last 30 minutes he improved as did the entire team. It's weird, but Rashford coming off for Sanchez seemed to change the dynamic even though Sanchez didn't do much at all outside of scoring the winning goal. Mata was fantastic as well.
Yep. Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Pogba, Shaw finally gave the impression we have some technical quality. Players who want to keep the ball on the ground and play some intricate, quick stuff. Just have to keep Matic, Lukaku and Fellaini away from them to do it.

TsuWave

Prime Valencia
what is even that? valencia was always an average player that managed the odd good performance here and there, i mean, good servant of the club, but i don't think he was ever special in any kind of way

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Scored the equaliser and won the freekick for the first with one of his threatening runs. A generous description would be that he was a major catalyst in the comeback
Don't get in the way of one good hyperbole

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Have to admit, he was really good at the end. It's like watching the 'young' Martial; lively, energetic, and didn't afraid on taking chances.

haram

Nice goal though.
He was poor for most of the match but the last 20 mins were good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He looks lively in 2nd half, more energy & aggression in attack, he lacks stamina to do both tasks of defensive & offensive. If Mourinho is willing to give him less defensive work then he can be Mourinho's star man in attack. My 2nd of motm, Pogba was my first one.

snk123

How decision making in this game was mostly shocking! Crossing at the wrong times, picking the wrong pass etc...

But then he had a good last 20 mins... Before that he was dire

Where is the bad decision making? Some passes not coming off but most of the time its also because of his team mates not being good enough or being on the same wavelength.

LoneStar

This guy should start on the left. And Alexis center. Lukaku should play on the right or be benched for a while.

The whole team seemed to play better when Alexis came on.

Oh, and very good performance. And that finish was excellent.

Traub

His commitment and desire were his best attributes in the game imo. It would be easy for him to really stop giving a shit given his relationship with Jose.

InfiniteBoredom

Missed the game but from the touch compilation above I don’t get why people are saying he was garbage first half? Seems quite even-keeled throughout to me, not many high risk plays, stable touch and passing, great link up play that lead to the goal, which was a great finish.

Overall if we are just strictly talking about performance I’d give it a 6/10. Given the circumstances probably 7 is fair. He’s capable of much more than this and I hope he gets the gametime to get there.

Fergietime@99

His first half was pretty anonymous, though he was far from the worse player (that went to Matic and Rashford), but the last 30 minutes he improved as did the entire team. It's weird, but Rashford coming off for Sanchez seemed to change the dynamic even though Sanchez didn't do much at all outside of scoring the winning goal. Mata was fantastic as well.
watch martial's goal again and see Sanchez's movement to block dubravka's vision. That's why martial was able to score at the near post.

GM K

Yep. Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Pogba, Shaw finally gave the impression we have some technical quality. Players who want to keep the ball on the ground and play some intricate, quick stuff. Just have to keep Matic, Lukaku and Fellaini away from them to do it.
Weird thing but I find myself defending Fellaini more and more these days. He was immense in that fight back.

Andersons Dietician

Missed the game but from the touch compilation above I don’t get why people are saying he was garbage first half? Seems quite even-keeled throughout to me, not many high risk plays, stable touch and passing, great link up play that lead to the goal, which was a great finish.

Overall if we are just strictly talking about performance I’d give it a 6/10. Given the circumstances probably 7 is fair. He’s capable of much more than this and I hope he gets the gametime to get there.
It’s a bit of the standard CAF stereotyping and not actually watching what was happening. First half only he and Pogba looked like they would create anything or get a goal, he was good, beating people trying some very nice passes which maybe just got cut out or fell short but he was one of the only creative sparks. Saw people calling him lazy again but not sure what game they were watching. 2nd half he went up a gear and the things he was trying were starting to work and he was getting support and again looking like a creative spark. He was by no means perfect but CAF readers gonna CAF when it comes to Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.