5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jib

My favorite player after Pogba. I like him...too gifted to be on the bench...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
To be honest, I thought he was awful apart from the build-up and the actual goal that he scored. I do like him but I think people need to accept he's very much a moments player, he'll have a few flashes of genius and it will either work out or it won't, otherwise he goes a little missing.

He is the only one close to playing on Pogba's level. Mourinho's focus should be on figuring out how to play to their strengths.

Aloysius's Back 3

He is the only one close to playing on Pogba's level. Mourinho's focus should be on figuring out how to play to their strengths.
That's what happened when the tactics came out - players played to their strengths after half time.

E-mal

To be honest, I thought he was awful apart from the build-up and the actual goal that he scored. I do like him but I think people need to accept he's very much a moments player, he'll have a few flashes of genius and it will either work out or it won't, otherwise he goes a little missing.
You're not honest!

Foxbatt

Martial is a player who is capable of doing things other strikers at United can't do. If he has these flashes during the match and if we win matches then I don't care if he goes missing during the game.

Aloysius's Back 3

Of course he is a moments player - but the last thing you do with such a player is to have him having moments when he has to cross the ball to Lukaku, moments when he is told to keep width, moments when the tactics changes an allowed to play more centrally, moments when he is made to hold on the fullback.

A moments player requires a manager to supply tactics that turns those occasional moments in to 5 or 6 moments in one game.

That isn't happening under Jose & it's why I say - give Martial a chance under a manager who builds a team around the strength of the players rather than build Chelsea 3.0 & if Martial fails then - he can leave.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yes for sure. Jose or whomever next we get have got to them the platform so they can perform to their optimum. You can't waste talented players like that.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yeah, it wasn't a great performance by any stretch. Against Yedlin he mostly came up second best. He is a moments player but that isn't a terrible thing. He still ended up being pretty much involved in all three goals - won freekick for first, scored the second and was in roughly the right place for the third but Sanchez got it

Scholes said he needs a run of games to get the best out of him and I agree. I'd try starting Martial (on the left), Lukaku and Sanchez for a bit and see how that goes. With us playing Chelsea next, we'll likely see Lingard back in and Sanchez on the left with Lukaku through the middle.

Gungne

The best striker today. Lukaku is way to stationary.
In some situations I think Martial should go for the goal him self, and not pass the ball.
He should start every game from now on.

Handré1990

Fantastic last 20 minutes. Great player to watch in
Of course he is a moments player - but the last thing you do with such a player is to have him having moments when he has to cross the ball to Lukaku, moments when he is told to keep width, moments when the tactics changes an allowed to play more centrally, moments when he is made to hold on the fullback.

A moments player requires a manager to supply tactics that turns those occasional moments in to 5 or 6 moments in one game.

That isn't happening under Jose & it's why I say - give Martial a chance under a manager who builds a team around the strength of the players rather than build Chelsea 3.0 & if Martial fails then - he can leave.
Agree with all of this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Great post

redIndianDevil

Yep!

Which is more difficult?

A. Receive ball at half-way and run half a field just to get to a dangerous advanced position pre-fatigued.
B. Receive ball in last third and run in shorter sprints in more dangerous areas with less fatigue.

It always amazes me when we play so deep and fans seem shocked that our wide players are ineffective. Let today be something of a reminder to our coaching organisation to stay on the front foot.
This. We sit so deep for most of the matches. Put Salah, Sterling, Sane in our side, they would be shite for us too. We need to play with a high line.

Negan

Great goal by him but he was his usual self before that. Still not convinced he has the United mentality.

redIndianDevil

Our entire attacking play is like that at the moment. Fleeting moments of good play and prolonged period of shite football. It's no wonder our attackers look inconsistent too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If you give him the ball enough, once in a while some magic happens and it's obvious with Pogba there's some connection there because the goal was all about them two knowing each other.

He just doesn't do it enough. At all.

Newcastle knew what they were doing with Yedlin sticking back though. Martial is rapid but so is Yedlin and he was never gonna run past him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Our entire attacking play is like that at the moment. Fleeting moments of good play and prolonged period of shite football. It's no wonder our attackers look inconsistent too.
This is just an opinion I had of him, even when seeing him at his best. Just thought he's that type of moments player rather than someone constantly involved like a Hazard/Ribery.

Raven

Proves his worth, once again. So obvious he's one of the best players in the squad, don't know why all the hate. People don't seem to understand the concept of form anymore.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Surprised people are saying he was poor up until the 70th minute. I thought he was easily our second best player for the entirety of the second half, absolutely every dangerous moment we had came through either him or Pogba (often both). The players seemed to feel the same as they seemed to be trying to get the ball to him as much as possible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is just an opinion I had of him, even when seeing him at his best. Just thought he's that type of moments player rather than someone constantly involved like a Ribery.
Bear in mind that he has been an attacker for the better part of his formative years, Hazard has always been a playmaker someone that gets on the ball and makes things happen. Martial is a finisher, he is all about the final ball, the final pass.

Festive Sandvich

Not that much came off for him today despite his goal, but the sheer threat he carries compared to the rest of the attack is next level. The tactical chaos of the second half seemed to suit him as the whole frontline became more fluid. Him and Pogba were at the heart of that fightback.

Canagel

He isn't a playmaker and he shouldn't be supplying Lukaku or Fellaini. He needs to be interchanging and passing with other clever players like pogba and mata instead. Martial is a player who likes to link up with other players. Hes technically very good and the more pass and move players we have the better the football is.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His fitness I'm guessing could improve? He looked absolutely exhausted at the end of that. Fair play to him for putting it in.
Yeah noticed this too.

He seemed to be knackered toward the end. Maybe he's not used to completing 90 minutes anymore. Can't remember the last time he'd played a full game. Could probably count the number of time he's completed a full match under Mourinho on one hand.

Ashley R1+O

Agreed. Chuffed he got a goal, both sides need to accept this though.

Aloysius's Back 3

He isn't a playmaker and he shouldn't be supplying Lukaku or Fellaini. He needs to be interchanging and passing with other clever players like pogba and mata instead. Martial is a player who likes to link up with other players. Hes technically very good and the more pass and move players we have the better the football is.
Why I see him as a false 9 who helps interlink 2 wider forwards like Rashford & Lukaku/sanchez

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Also Mourinho should learn from this to not always be quick to hook him off first. The thing is with players like Martial even if he's having a quiet game there is always a moment of brilliance in him that could spark something, case in point this game.

He won us the free kick that got us the first goal and obviously his second goal. Normally Mourinho just hook him of at the hour mark and had that happen today we'd probably have been staring at another defeat given some of the goals needed that moment of spark which he provided

Greck

Move him closer to goal. This system of having players of Sanchez and Martial's caliber hugging the touchline and devoting their entire efforts to supplying Lukaku puts a cap on our attacking potential. When out of form Lukaku is one way traffic and the others can't play off of him to get goals

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
One of the few in this team who can finish.

If more of him on the pitch will mean goals then I don't know what Jose is waiting for.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why I see him as a false 9 who helps interlink 2 wider forwards like Rashford & Lukaku/sanchez
He's seemed to have been asked to cross a lot by Mourinho. I noticed at some point it was his go to move when I felt he could have just taken his man on.

I think he needs to be given a different role, one that doesn't requires to be providing crosses for Lukaku rather have him be the direct goal threat. His abilities suit that approach much more.

Canagel

Martial as a false 9 with Sanchez and Lukaku/Rashford either side with 3 at the back and width from the wing backs is the way forward for this team. None of these players should he hugging the touchline.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Move him closer to goal. This system of having players of Sanchez and Martial's caliber hugging the touchline and devoting their entire efforts to supplying Lukaku puts a cap on our attacking potential. When out of form Lukaku is one way traffic and the others can't play off of him to get goals
Agreed with this.

I think they shouldn't be burdened with the task of providing Lukaku with crosses but rather have them closer to goal.

SATA

Pleased that Rashford got the hook off today instead of him and he repaid the trust. Should be given a run of ten games and we can see the best of him

Canagel

Yep. He should play as a false 9 with Lukaku/Rashford and Sanchez either side. Lukaku isn't good enough to be the focal point of the team. Go in a different direction with an interchanging front three and we will have much better results.

Arka_BleedingRed

Great goal by him but he was his usual self before that. Still not convinced he has the United mentality.
Ok, then who has the United mentality? And who should we buy to bring back the United mentality into our team? Please elaborate.

Yep I agree I was saying this in the match day thread - Jose is utilising him all wrong.

He needs to be receiving the ball in the final 3rd not half way line and he needs to be taking more shots on goal!

Mr PG

Confidence player. lookvhow bad zaha looked playing for us. Martial can go a few more gears with an arm around the shoulders and encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.