5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

A common trait amongst people on the spectrum is to be perceived as ‘quiet’ or socially withdrawn, even lazy and disinterested. All of which can be observed in Martial’s case.

‘Learning difficulties’ also often associated with those on the spectrum.

We need to remove the stigma, and embrace the reality that the law of averages dictates that there will be a number of footballers, both historically and present, who have the condition; it’ll help people accept that the perceived idle arrogance of the Balotellis, Martials and Michael Johnsons may be something that goes beyond a lack of commitment and professionalism.
I applaud you for the sincere effort at explaining a difficult concept. It may or may not have truth to it, but I don't think it's fair or does much good to be guessing as a fan. Can only hope for growing awareness so kids that could use a bit of appropriate guidance do in fact get it.

haram

How on earth does Ed Woodward class him as one of the world's best talents! Show you how much Ed knows about football, cut your losses sell him and get another decent striker in
He doesn’t know anything about football so he’s going off what other people are saying. Question is who are these people?

maniwin

Can we just swap him with Mbappe very please ? Oh and add 200M in the mix, Mbappe is 10x the player he is

Ekeke

Is this really all that uncommon though? There has been countless examples of players who have started off well and then had underwhelming careers. Especially when Martial seemingly (according to his fans on here, at least) can only flourish in very specific setups.

As a player, he needs to learn to adapt. Granted, he might go to another more attacking team and do well, but not every manager he's going to play under during his career is going to be possession based, constantly giving the ball into his feet for him to run at defenders.

For example, that's not how France plays and until he improves those aspects of his games, I don't see him playing much for his NT either.

Mourinho probably isn't the best manager to get the most out of his ability and if he's really that intent on going, let him leave. I think he's a really good talent, but not in the top tier of youngsters around there.
Well my point is that he showed he can have the right mentality in his first season where he was perhaps our best player at a time when we were struggling and few others were helping him a great deal.

When someone has already done something it makes sense to believe that they can do it again, even if its under specific circumstances. It seems far more likely than someone who has never done it.

Of course he could be another player who had one good season and then never got back to that level but it'll be down to not working hard enough rather than simply not being able to have the right mentality at the club. He's already done it once, its a question of how hard he wants to work to do it again.

The thing I notice thats most different between Martial and Rashford now compared to in 2015 when they first came in, is their ability to shrug off physical challenges. It was one of the more impressive things I saw from them in their debut seasons and it looked like they wanted to show it off when they got the ball. These days I feel like if theres a physical challenge on Martial or Rashford both players will go down, losing the ball or winning a freekick but barely ever showing strength. I think they've both become too lightweight.

Witchking

So a player who hasn't been used well by Mourinho wants to leave,and the caf cries when he isn't taking his chances.

I hate jose's attitude of strong talk. It didn't work with mkhi and is not working with martial.

Martial, if forced to stay is not going to perform.

Ekeke

A common trait amongst people on the spectrum is to be perceived as ‘quiet’ or socially withdrawn, even lazy and disinterested. All of which can be observed in Martial’s case.

‘Learning difficulties’ also often associated with those on the spectrum.

We need to remove the stigma, and embrace the reality that the law of averages dictates that there will be a number of footballers, both historically and present, who have the condition; it’ll help people accept that the perceived idle arrogance of the Balotellis, Martials and Michael Johnsons may be something that goes beyond a lack of commitment and professionalism.
Diagnosing someone you've never met based on how you perceive them in public is the most stupid thing you can suggest. There are assessments for that kind of thing, some of which have multiple doctors of different types to come together and diagnose someone. So please leave it to people who have some idea of what they're talking about.

None of what you stated can be observed with Anthony Martial.

For example you're calling him lazy, when in actual fact hes running about on a football pitch at high speeds using huge bursts of energy for 90 minutes. I'm sure most people on the caf couldnt and wouldnt do that so does that make us all lazy? Just because someone doesn't run and try as much as a few of the other professional footballers doesn't mean they are lazy. They're just being compared to great athletes.

Ashley R1+O

This thread has gone cringey again. On the spectrum, just.. Stop. People are genuinely deluding themselves if they are ignoring that he has a huge problem with his movement and timing. Standing way out/back on the flank and getting the ball and running with it all game at defences was fine for Van Gaal, Mourinho's system will make him a much better all-round player. He needs to get his head down and work harder on his movement and timing.

AKDevil

I don’t get the spurs links I don’t think pochettino would have him near his first 11. Poch is a workrate and desire first manager which causes him issues in other ways. Martial doesn’t fit the bill there I don’t think
Spurs liked him before we signed him and for what they need he works. Could play with or instead of Harry Kane.

Kostur

海尔的老板
While I wouldn't pay much attention to how he plays in a pre-season for obvious reasons, the excuses thrown around here are cringeworthy to say the least.

Trizy

Haven't seen the game but going by the comments and score line I'd imagine he was shite.

Not surprised as he was the ST. I've yet to see Martial play well or even score as a ST. He's a wide forward who needs to run at players. He's useless with his back to goal. I rate him massively but he needs to realise himself that he is not a striker. Apparently his preferred position.

JohnnyKills

Was poor last night, half-arsed in everything he did.

Not sure he can force a move though. If Woodward and Mourinho have made up their minds to keep him, it's hard to see them changing their minds.

Was poor last night, half-arsed in everything he did.

Not sure he can force a move though. If Woodward and Mourinho have made up their minds to keep him, it's hard to see them changing their minds.
He can put in a transfer request - but players are obsessed with money, even though Martial will have enough money to live comfortably if he retired tomorrow.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Haven't seen the game but going by the comments and score line I'd imagine he was shite.

Not surprised as he was the ST. I've yet to see Martial play well or even score as a ST. He's a wide forward who needs to run at players. He's useless with his back to goal. I rate him massively but he needs to realise himself that he is not a striker. Apparently his preferred position.
Played on the left for the second half and was just as bad, if not worse, than he was in the centre.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Every single player was shit, we are shit as a team. But as usual, some will focus on one or two players.

FromTheBench

Mourinho has lost him it seems. As happened with Hazard too under him.

Hope if he stays he can get focussed and motivated.

JPRouve

Scout
It's one thing to be shit it's the other to don't give a fu.k. Take Alexis for comparison.
He was shit too, his attitude wasn't really better. In fact the attitude of the team is generally bad, on top of bad movement, bad technique, bad tactical understanding. It's only preseason, so we can't really draw any conclusion but we are generally shit, with subpar attitude.

togg

Methinks he's a guy who is desperately wanting out of the club. His agent has alluded to that and it's not as though the two wouldn't talk. Whatever the reasons, it's getting to the point where it might be beneficial for both parties if he moved on. We've let much better players go who gave much more during their stay at United than he has. I like him, but there is definitely something not right, anyone can see that. It's not this pre-season particularly, it's been going on for some time.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He was shit too, his attitude wasn't really better. In fact the attitude of the team is generally bad, on top of bad movement, bad technique, bad tactical understanding. It's only preseason, so we can't really draw any conclusion but we are generally shit, with subpar attitude.
Alexis was far better. Best attacking player by a stretch and caused them a lot of problems. They basically resorted to fouling him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So after body language experts we have experts on autism too?
People constantly try to mock others that talk about visible attitude and body language as if it isn't a thing.
We used to have players in the side who would bollock someone for not looking like they want it (forget who it was? McClair springs to mind).

I've said this before, but if you mope around the office people are gonna think you don't want to be there and aren't suited to the job. This guy has 70,000 people watching him in his office and a tonne more on tv. You'd think he'd look into it a bit.

JPRouve

Scout
Methinks he's a guy who is desperately wanting out of the club. His agent has alluded to that and it's not as though the two wouldn't talk. Whatever the reasons, it's getting to the point where it might be beneficial for both parties if he moved on. We've let much better players go who gave much more during their stay at United than he has. I like him, but there is definitely something not right, anyone can see that. It's not this pre-season particularly, it's been going on for some time.
I tend to think the same, I wouldn't be surprised if he really wants to leave.

Craig Ward

Since we signed Sanchez, it was clear Jose didn't have Martial in his x11 plans.

While Martial is talented, and he may become a top class player, he hasn't really shown that he has the desire or motivation to do so with us. The manager has also not shown any incline (in the press at least) to indicate he wants Martial, we all know Jose is Mr Negative and so on.

So - we don't want to sell because Martial is a top young talent. BUT we have a unhappy player.

While I understand why the club would want him to stay:
1) he doesn't appear to be in favour with Jose
2) unhappy players will never be an asset to the team

The club has been indecisive regarding out-goings for seasons upon seasons.

He doesn't want to be here, Jose doesn't really rate him. So sell and buy a replacement and do so quickly.

He is not indispensable, none of our current bunch are.

Trizy

Every single player was shit, we are shit as a team. But as usual, some will focus on one or two players.
Agreed we're a shit team but our players aren't shit. It's all down to Jose imo. Just look what Pep has average players doing at City. Or Klopp.

Bwuk

People look far much into pre season performances.

He wasn’t great - but really who was? Sanchez and Pereira?

Bwuk

Yeah they were decent, Martial was useless.
Whilst that’s true, it’s more about fitness.

If the players were really that bothered I’d wager they could comfortably take 5 or 6 off of San Jose without much efforr.

dove

Whilst that’s true, it’s more about fitness.

If the players were really that bothered I’d wager they could comfortably take 5 or 6 off of San Jose without much efforr.
I know, pre season and especially first few matches are purely about fitness, I don't think they even train any tactics yet. However Sanchez and Perreira worked their asses off while Martial just couldn't be bothered most of the game. That's his problem. This attitude even in a pre season game is not acceptable.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Since we signed Sanchez, it was clear Jose didn't have Martial in his x11 plans.

While Martial is talented, and he may become a top class player, he hasn't really shown that he has the desire or motivation to do so with us. The manager has also not shown any incline (in the press at least) to indicate he wants Martial, we all know Jose is Mr Negative and so on.

So - we don't want to sell because Martial is a top young talent. BUT we have a unhappy player.

While I understand why the club would want him to stay:
1) he doesn't appear to be in favour with Jose
2) unhappy players will never be an asset to the team

The club has been indecisive regarding out-goings for seasons upon seasons.

He doesn't want to be here, Jose doesn't really rate him. So sell and buy a replacement and do so quickly.

He is not indispensable, none of our current bunch are.
All well and good, but unless you advocate selling him at a loss. Then I don't see what we are doing wrong. He stays, or he gets sold for his market value. We will not be forced into it.

All this 'Just sell him he doesn't want to be here' is divorced from reality. The guy cost a good bit of money...

Litch

Who knows but I think it's not easy being a young player in any of the top teams in world football. Real, Barca, Bayern et al have some top young players on their benchs who would probably start if they were elsewhere. If Martial leaves goes to any top team, there is the likelihood that it would be the same position.
The other option is he goes to the tier below to get more game time but those teams haven't got 70m to spend on a player.

He is stuck and he knows it.....best he can hope for a swap deal where the figures don't need to add up in the same way. Maybe Willan and he goes the other way?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who knows but I think it's not easy being a young player in any of the top teams in world football. Real, Barca, Bayern et al have some top young players on their benchs who would probably start if they were elsewhere. If Martial leaves goes to any top team, there is the likelihood that it would be the same position.
The other option is he goes to the tier below to get more game time but those teams haven't got 70m to spend on a player.

He is stuck and he knows it.....best he can hope for a swap deal where the figures don't need to add up in the same way. Maybe Willan and he goes the other way?
Tbh if he goes I hope it's abroard. A different manager could get him back on track.... Don't want that coming back to bite us.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Agreed we're a shit team but our players aren't shit. It's all down to Jose imo. Just look what Pep has average players doing at City. Or Klopp.
Average players worth 60 millions each? Oh do feck off please.

Status
Not open for further replies.