5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

It's not beyond realms of eternity to to think the manager does deserve some credit here. While Martial's forward play hasn't changed for years which we know is good, his defensive contribution is getting better. He was able to find a balance between tracking back and moving forward and he did it superbly vs Everton. That's definitely down to the manager. For him to be a regular starter under Jose, he needs to be showing more of this, which he has started to and hence being rewarded with the starting spot. Also, its looking increasingly certain that Jose isn't gonna be here next season. I don't think he cares about being fired now or at the end of the season and hence has no compulsion to make up with Martial. I'm pretty sure his ego wouldn't allow it if Martial has already been alienated.
I really do not know or care about what Mourinho really thinks, there is no way that Mourinho will publicly accept that what he did with Martial was wrong because he is in the public eye and he will deflect, I'm fine with it. Its the posters here who wilfully bend reality to make it as if everything Mourinho does is correct and only by that Martial has suddenly improved that piss me off.

Also I don't agree that Martial has found the balance between tracking back and moving forward, the moment we went 2-0 up and Lukaku came on, Martial hardly ventured forward, we were launching long balls to Lukaku and only Pogba was forward. That was the moment to really unleash Martial by playing him further up instead of playing him deep to protect our defence, and only in the dying moments he came forward and found himself with a glorious chance.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martial is very much a confidence player.

Those saying he's now working harder and doing more defensive work than he was before - you are somewhat right. He is working harder than what he was in the second half of last season - the period where his confidence was shot. But is he working harder and doing more defensive work than what he was during the months last season when he was flying and was first choice? I don't think so.

Is it unfortunate that Martial is such a confidence player? Yes, it is a bit. But it's obvious he is the type who needs an arm around the shoulder. Unfortunately under Mourinho it's been the exact opposite - he has been treated worse than all his competitors. They all get away with murder compared to how Martial has been treated, so it's not exactly surprising that he struggles at times.

Greck

I really do not know or care about what Mourinho really thinks, there is no way that Mourinho will publicly accept that what he did with Martial was wrong because he is in the public eye and he will deflect, I'm fine with it. Its the posters here who wilfully bend reality to make it as if everything Mourinho does is correct and only by that Martial has suddenly improved that piss me off.

Also I don't agree that Martial has found the balance between tracking back and moving forward, the moment we went 2-0 up and Lukaku came on, Martial hardly ventured forward, we were launching long balls to Lukaku and only Pogba was forward. That was the moment to really unleash Martial by playing him further up instead of playing him deep to protect our defence, and only in the dying moments he came forward and found himself with a glorious chance.
Complete waste that. To have Martial playing as secondary fullback instead of staying up the pitch with Lukaku waiting for counters like Deschamps does with Mbappe and Giroud

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial is very much a confidence player.

Those saying he's now working harder and doing more defensive work than he was before - you are somewhat right. He is working harder than what he was in the second half of last season - the period where his confidence was shot. But is he working harder and doing more defensive work than what he was during the months last season when he was flying and was first choice? I don't think so.

Is it unfortunate that Martial is such a confidence player? Yes, it is a bit. But it's obvious he is the type who needs an arm around the shoulder. Unfortunately under Mourinho it's been the exact opposite - he has been treated worse than all his competitors. They all get away with murder compared to how Martial has been treated, so it's not exactly surprising that he struggles at times.
I'll be honest, I have never understood that expression. Every player is a confidence player, they all play better when their confidence is high and worse when it's low, Scholes mentioned his own struggles with confidence 10 days ago.

ash_86

No one agrees all Mourinho does is correct but you're at the other end of the spectrum where you absolve Martial off everything which isn't right. Both could've done their jobs better and for what Mourinho did he will pay with his job.

Looking at the Average position of Martial does look like his average position in the game looks good. Look, all the players have to cover their positions and that goes for Martial too. Left flank is his and Shaw's responsibility. When Everton was 2-0 down they had nothing else left to do and attacked. We had very good chances in the second half one being Martial's to put the game to bed. You cannot expect a player to be in the top all the time unless he's the striker. Martial did well in our attack for his goal, protected Shaw defending his flank and also almost made one goal for himself. That's a complete performance in my book.

CA1

Martial giving it the biggun on the twitter account. It's almost like a shrine to a man who's put in a couple of good performances.

What price a stinker at Bournemouth on Saturday?

Aloysius's Back 3

Martial giving it the biggun on the twitter account. It's almost like a shrine to a man who's put in a couple of good performances.

Aye 100% going to play like the second coming of perisic to try an attempt a cross in to rejuvenated Lukaku - the second coming of Drogba.

Let's blame it on the players. The tactics are spot on....

Ashish Negi

What happened ? Can't see anything on his Twitter ?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Must have killed you inside watching Martial score, so back to this :lol:

Andersons Dietician

What happened ? Can't see anything on his Twitter ?
Must be talking about his thank you message to the fans on the official United account. It’s CA1 tho, so the voices could have told him it was something else.

Martial must have got player of the month.

Kapardin

So far you have wanted Shaw, Lindelof and now Martial to fail...just so that your idol Jose can say "I told you so". Really, try supporting the club over the manager for once.

Canagel

Embarassing.

Rolaholic

Happy for the lad,well deserved. Shocking what a decent run of games and showing confidence in your young talents does...

Rolaholic

So far you have wanted Shaw, Lindelof and now Martial to fail...just so that your idol Jose can say "I told you so". Really, try supporting the club over the manager for once.
The cultist agenda gets more embarrassing by the week

Greck

Lol knew you couldn't keep up the act for long.

CA1

Nobody wants to see him do well as much as me.

But he's rarely strung 3 good league games together since he's been here. Lets hope that changes.

Somebody give me a price for a poor performance. Admit it, you all think similar.

Raven

But he's rarely strung 3 good league games together since he's been here. Lets hope that changes.

Somebody give me a price for a poor performance. Admit it, you all think similar.
You are full on delusional, it's weird.

Hawks2008

I don't know If whatever is left the pro-jose crowd support him over the club, but rather they seem to conflate supporting the manager with supporting the club.

Aloysius's Back 3

I don't blame the fans for this view though - it's a view taken on arguably our most influential players because of Jose & him targeting such players to the media whilst making up complete horse s**t about their mental ability.

We all have dreams & expectations of what we want the club to do - some fans just dream for Jose to be successful here as much as I wanted LVG to hand the job to someone like gigs so he could progress & be successful.

It's just a dream. A delusion. We all have it; it's just the Jose period for now.

Steven7290

I don't blame the fans for this view though - it's a view taken on arguably our most influential players because of Jose & him targeting such players to the media whilst making up complete horse s**t about their mental ability.

We all have dreams & expectations of what we want the club to do - some fans just dream for Jose to be successful here as much as I wanted LVG to hand the job to someone like gigs so he could progress & be successful.

It's just a dream. A delusion. We all have it; it's just the Jose period for now.
That's debatable though. Some like me want Jose to do well simply because he is our manager, but that doesn't stop us from being chuffed when Shaw and Martial started playing better because what matters in the end is the 3 points after a game.

What he said about such players may or may not be true, for me I could see some elements of truth in it, but hating on our own players because of that is not something a well balanced fan would even contemplate. I don't think it's Jose's intention either.

Godfather

I don’t understand why we keep trolls like you on here.

Aloysius's Back 3

That's debatable though. Some like me want Jose to do well simply because he is our manager, but that doesn't stop us from being chuffed when Shaw and Martial started playing better because what matters in the end is the 3 points after a game.

What he said about such players may or may not be true, for me I could see some elements of truth in it, but hating on our own players because of that is not something a well balanced fan would even contemplate. I don't think it's Jose's intention either.
That's fair & there is nothing wrong with being open minded to both aspects. However, plenty fans are close minded to Jose's vision as much as I am closed minded towards anything Jose does well before he even arrived here much like Charlton. I want success & therefore view Jose's mistakes - whilst the fans of Jose want success & therefore view the players mistakes.

I don't blame that - there has to be a balance of the two; but what I can say is though - as a person who assesses Jose's every step - he likes to cause a separation between him & his players especially when they get tough & sometimes unfortunately this binds with the most important players of a team.

Whilst people have the right to target a player like martial due to his lack of work ethic towards Jose's tactics - I on the other side will look for aspects wondering if Jose has managed to get the best out of martial - his positives & not just the negatives.

That's why I can blame fans for coming out like this - it's a point of view depending on their dreams. I for example didn't enjoy the football LVG played but enjoyed the players he utilised & the way he managed United as a team would attempt to control 70% of the match. I was hoping that someone could take it off him & add that level of intensity & attacking ability to our game whilst alpt of fans were looking at LVG's poor tactics or him holding back the team.

That was my time to feel against the majority & people working against my dreams - whilst now it's the Jose's fan boys turn.

You my friend are an open minded individual.

redIndianDevil

Liar liar pants on fire.

redIndianDevil

How do people like this get promoted?
How is he not banned yet I don't know. He already got his warning for spouting hate on Martial few pages back. He is also on record hoping Arnautovic, Richarlison "rip us to shreds" to prove that Mourinho was right.

sam147

One of the best first time strikers of the ball in the world. Pace, strength, dribbling ability, two footed, a decent cross and a top finisher. What he needs to do is focus on one or two moves to really master. The way Ronaldo does that chop and finish, or the way Theirry Henry used to freeze the keeper. If he does that it can take him to the next level. He needs to get into the box more, the oaf manages to distract a few defenders and if Martial shows more desire to run near post from wide or wait on the edge everytime the balls wide he can easily hit 20-30 goals. The same way all our creative play goes through Pogba we need to see the end product come through Martial.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He’s our most talent player IMHO. More so than Pogba
Talented yes.
The real issue is his consistency.

Wonderful to see him on his game for a few matches.
We need him to play this well for the whole season not just a couple of games.

Aloysius's Back 3

Talented yes.
The real issue is his consistency.

Wonderful to see him on his game for a few matches.
We need him to play this well for the whole season not just a couple of games.
Consistency for any player will come through the player but also how they are managed tactically.

We could cry about Lukaku's lack of consistency - but we all know that it's the current tactics which make him play as a target man that is making him struggle.

Whilst there are players that are capable of playing 10/10 football no matter where they play - some players will only be able to properly be influential & consistent when the tactics are made to get the best out of set players.

Martial in the last month has been better for Jose because Jose had adapted his tactics bit more or allowed a more attacking football. This has allowed him to play much more centrally & much more away from the touchline.

Further tactical changes could be done to get the best out of Sanchez, Lukaku, Rashford & Martial.

Canagel

Agree. There's world class potential waiting to be unleashed with martial. Genuinely believe he could be the best player in the PL or one of the best with a slight positional change and more confidence with more games.

Red_Ramirez

I thought he hates Mourinho and is one of those players who has stopped playing for him as the ABU media has made everyone believe.

The Mourinho out brigade must be confused as feck:lol:

Seriously though well done Jose on keep giving him opportunities. Fingers cross Martial now has turned a corner and can do a Luke Shaw

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think this is right.

I have never doubted Martial's ability just his willingness to work within the confines of Jose's system. He was great last Sunday going forward but I particularly liked the several times he sprinted back to bail out Luke Shaw's positioning. Reminiscent of a young Ryan Giggs working back.

There is no justification for Jose dropping Martial when he is working back and forward with equal amounts of application. I was pleased in his post-match press conference Jose recognised that, even without the goals and assists, Martial's performance for the team was worth praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.