Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still useful in the right kind of games but feck me if he doesn’t boil my piss when he strolls around like he’s fecking Pele. Has to be a bench option next season, at best.

ReallyUSA

Sell him to some of these fluid attacking sides. Tired of the excuse that it's just LvG, it's just Mou, it's just Ole, and it will be like that when the next manager gets the gig. Kid was great for us, but he just needs to be a less competitive situation.

snk123

Sell him to some of these fluid attacking sides. Tired of the excuse that it's just LvG, it's just Mou, it's just Ole, and it will be like that when the next manager gets the gig. Kid was great for us, but he just needs to be a less competitive situation.
He'll score 30+ at City - he'll thrive with technical players who can take the ball and not shit their pants when they have it.

Pickle85

City's frontline has some of the best movement going. Pep would tear his nonexistent hair out watching Martial stroll around sulkily, not run in behind and provide nothing without the ball. He's regressed this season and looks static, disinterested and ineffective at a time when he should be approaching his peak.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I won't sell him, but there's no way in hell we should enter next season depending on him as main striker, especially with Cavani getting ton of injuries. Signing a long term striker in summer will be a top priority.

Martial can be a useful squad option to cover on both left flank and striker positions but he's unreliable as a long term main option.
I'm ok with Martial as a squad option to close out wins or fill up time in lost causes, but no way should we rely on him to take the next step forward as a club. But if we can find a club willing to part with 20m and accept his wages, I'm all for it. There's real attacking quality, and players with heart, in the market this summer that can be brought in and we can't take a pass on these players because we're too lazy or scared to offload Martial.
Hes way to costly to have as a squad option and i doubt hed be happy with that role either.

In an ideal world we could slash his wages in half and hed be more than happy to be a bench player, and could come of the bench and perform like he did last year

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He's looked short of both confidence and desire so far this season. Doesn't put in anywhere near enough of a shift and offers next to nothing in behind. Also, weirdly he seems to have gone backwards as far as his dribbling is concerned. In his first season or two he was twisting players into pretzels but he's posing fewer and fewer problems with the ball at his feet these days. Given that that was where he seemed to really excel, he's looked basically ineffective much of the season. It's a real shame; I don't think we'll ever see him hitting anything close to the heights some (including me) expected. He seems another player that's happy to pick up a paycheck and settle for mediocrity. Needs replacing.
This. Lets be honest, his movement and work rate was never that great, but he'd make up for it with some terrific ability on the ball and every time he got on the ball in an advanced position you would shuffle your arse out on the edge of the seat in anticipation. Now a days, he seems just just either meekly surrender the ball or go to the floor every time he tries to dribble.

Vs Leichester there was a moment where he managed to get behind Evans who then brushed his leg. If Martial had stayed on his feet and gone forward, he would have gotten into a great scoring position, but instead he falls to the floor. This is not the first time either. Hes done this loads of times this season

Siezard

Extremely talented player. Good at winning penalties too.

Martial or Lacazette, who will you take? Martial of course. He's younger and faster!

Martial or Heung Min Son, who will you take?
Martial of course! He's bigger and can actually win headers! Plus can dribble better.

Martial or Gabriel Jesus?
Martial of course!

Just have more faith and belief in Martial!

Last edited:

jem

Martial or Lacazette, who will you take? Martial of course. He's younger and faster!

Martial of course! He's bigger and can actually win headers! Plus can dribble better.

Martial of course!

In what universe would any rational person take Martial over Son?

Rocknrolla69er

What's so good about Andre Silva? He doesn't look that good when I see him. Not bad but not exactly United level - is it just people hyping him after 1 good year with Frankfurt? The caf wanked over Haller over similar logic
He makes runs and scores goals

Pickle85

This. Lets be honest, his movement and work rate was never that great, but he'd make up for it with some terrific ability on the ball and every time he got on the ball in an advanced position you would shuffle your arse out on the edge of the seat in anticipation. Now a days, he seems just just either meekly surrender the ball or go to the floor every time he tries to dribble.

Vs Leichester there was a moment where he managed to get behind Evans who then brushed his leg. If Martial had stayed on his feet and gone forward, he would have gotten into a great scoring position, but instead he falls to the floor. This is not the first time either. Hes done this loads of times this season
Agree with all of this...he used to be such an exciting player to watch but now he's just frustrating. A loss of confidence is one thing but allied with minimal effort it is really galling to watch as a fan. Also, good point re going to ground. He's way too quick to do this nowadays. Again, maybe a confidence thing as he no longer really believes he can beat his man so plays the percentages for pens, but it's irritating as hell.

Pickle85

Martial of course!

Genuinely can't tell if this is serious or a parody post.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He makes runs and scores goals
So did Haller. I wouldn't buy him just from that. Martial is having a torrid season but his last season performance is more impressive than what Andre Silva is doing now, and there is barely a year difference between the two. I would upgrade Martial for sure, but for a striker that is capable of wearing a heavy shirt for us. Not anyone who just makes runs and can put the ball in the back of the net in Bundasliga. Haaland would be a different consideration of course, because his record is ridiculous and he does it in big games against big clubs in Europe, and he's a specimen of a player.

lex talionis

Hes way to costly to have as a squad option and i doubt hed be happy with that role either.

In an ideal world we could slash his wages in half and hed be more than happy to be a bench player, and could come of the bench and perform like he did last year
In an ideal world, yes. But the world we live in is world where Martial won’t budge on his bloated wage and no club would take on his bloated wage unless it picked him on a very low transfer fee.

We’re fukked on this one as we’re spending 250/week on a player who’s lost all interest in United.

IncyWincySpider

He doesn't seem to be enjoying himself this season. I don't know what caused it, whether it was Cavani coming or some off pitch problems or what, but he seems almost depressed. I've never seen anything quite like it from a United player. He's been like this for months now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I have never seen such a difference between consecutive seasons from a player. Looking across teams, the closest example seems to be Aubameyang, gone from a talismanic striker and centre of the team to unused sub, but even his numbers are better than Martial's this season. Similar with Firmino, but he didn't even hit 10 league goals last season.

1. Is it because he isn't a natural striker?
I don't think that's it. He's not been that much better from the left, if at all. His best game this season was his back-to-goal performance away at City recently, a very striker performance.

2. Is it because the team is playing worse?
That's part of it for sure. No number 9 has looked comfortable there this season. Cavani has scored but struggled a fair bit especially of late, his scoring rate and workk with back to goal are levels off last season's Martial. Greenwood has had a small handful of decent games as striker, but is also struggling to score in general. Rashford hasn't looked good away from the left.
But none of them have had as many games with zero impact as Martial.

3. That leaves a mental issue (not taking competition well?), a physical issue (some injury we don't know?), or laziness (but would that make you a bad finisher too?). Strikingly, he's outperformed his xG in every season before this - he's been a clinical striker when he gets scoring chances - but that's absolutely fallen off this season. Not from status, but just visually,, he's easier to tackle when shielding the ball, less nimble when trying to dribble, and has no composure in front of goal. All his strengths have fallen apart.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://fbref.com/en/players/8b788c01/Anthony-Martial

Quick overview of stats (all per 90 in the league):

His last 3 season have each had about 0.55 goals per 90 minutes. It's 0.24 now. Assists fluctuate more but he's still in the same range since Ole joined (he was better under Jose for assists, when he played more as a winger).

Shots and shots on target are essentially unchanged across seasons, as are xG and xA. (I didn't expect that).

Passing numbers (attempted and completed) are up from last season but down from seasons before that. Same with number of touches. Probably reflects him splitting time between LW and ST this season, while he spent all of last season as ST.

"Shot creation actions" is drastically reduced. From ~3.5/90 in previous seasons to 2.6 now. Decline is caused by a decline in both creative passing and dribbling.

Tackling is way down, almost zero, while interceptions are stable.

Dribbling stats are not that different, but it's curious given his shot creation numbers. Perhaps he is dribbling farther away from goal.

Penalties won up!! :lol:
He's been fouled about as much as previous seasons, he's offside more.

1. The laziness narrative is partially vindicated but isn't a full explanation: he is tackling much much less, but he is getting into shooting positions as much as before. (Certainly doesn't seem like it!)

2. A lot of the decline seems to be just in his finishing. Same shots, shots on target, but less than half the goals. Could be mental or physical.

Last edited:

acnumber9

He'll score 30+ at City - he'll thrive with technical players who can take the ball and not shit their pants when they have it.
Norwich City? Because he’s getting nowhere near Man City’s team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s the man holding the purse strings. I reckon he’s behind a lot of the terrible decisions of the last couple of years and why nearly everything seems to take a lifetime to get done in the market.
Only for money going out surely? He’s rubber stamping the expenditures but why is he saying who we can’t sell? We have other board members so it isn’t solely his decision, unless they all decided against it for financial reasons. I.e they feel he’s too valuable an asset to sell at this time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Only for money going out surely? He’s rubber stamping the expenditures but why is he saying who we can’t sell? We have other board members so it isn’t solely his decision, unless they all decided against it for financial reasons. I.e they feel he’s too valuable an asset to sell at this time.
I would have to disagree. Leader of the glazers = final say over the rest of the board but I could be wrong. I assume they aren’t against delegating but they’ve also been quite slow to adapt over the years. Those quotes about Martial being our Pele are worrying enough (not least because the comparison is so out of touch with the reality) that I don’t doubt the club picked the players over Jose when they all fell out. That’s their call to make I suppose, a manager who is past it is much easier to replace than a few valuable players but under normal circumstances you would hope if we had a good manager on the up that the club would back him over players not doing what he wanted and that’s just one example of the club stepping in without going into any of the transfer window or contract stuff.

Zoo

He had one superb first time lay-off to Dembele whose shot was blocked but apart from that was completely swamped by Ukraine defenders. France were passing it from side to side with nobody able to find the pass to open them up.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Commentators said he has one goal for France. One. Goal.

26 appearances.

At least it's not just us.

snk123

Commentators said he has one goal for France. One. Goal.

26 appearances.

At least it's not just us.
He has played 40 minutes on average/match in these 26 matches and not as a CF mostly. He has 7 assists and 1 goal. Also, he's never clicked in the France setup even when he was in his best form here.

Stacks

How many minutes has he played for France?
and who's fault is that? If they truly believed in him and that he would be "fantastic with more technical players" they would play him more minutes. It's clearly a fanboy delusion. France don't have anywhere near the attacking talent they had from 2000-2007. I rate Tony but his talents are overrated. In my 30 odd years watching football I have seen countless better and more talented players especially from his own country.

Status
Not open for further replies.