View full 2023-24 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mate I was there. Literally everyone around was shouting abuse at Martial coming on for Hojlund. We could see Martial and Mejbri were about to come on and everyone assumed it would be 2 of the Eriksen/McT/ Casemiro going off.

Casemiro went off first for Mejbri and I think everyone expected Eriksen's number to go up but when it transpired he was taking off Hojlund for Martial, you could see the anger and disappointment all around. Part of it was of course due to Hojlund coming off but it was also directed at bringing on a useless lump of clay in his place.

It would have been acceptable if Martial was bought on for a midfielder, but to bring off a dynamic forward in lieu of Martial rightly angered people.
Rightly? No
Only if you lack brain cells

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I wonder if Southgate and the top red pundits had criticised fans for booing him just as they did for Maguire
We weren't booing Martial. When Martial entered the pitch he was greeted with warm applause (even though most of us didn't want to see him come on!)

Chief123

Mate I was there. Literally everyone around was shouting abuse at Martial coming on for Hojlund. We could see Martial and Mejbri were about to come on and everyone assumed it would be 2 of the Eriksen/McT/ Casemiro going off.

Casemiro went off first for Mejbri and I think everyone expected Eriksen's number to go up but when it transpired he was taking off Hojlund for Martial, you could see the anger and disappointment all around. Part of it was of course due to Hojlund coming off but it was also directed at bringing on a useless lump of clay in his place.

It would have been acceptable if Martial was bought on for a midfielder, but to bring off a dynamic forward in lieu of Martial rightly angered people.
The booing martial doesn’t add up. It came across as booing Hojlund going off. As soon as Hojlund stepped off the pitch it was noticeable the booing dispersed into cheering Martial onto the pitch. It seemed like crowd wanted to make it evident they were just booing Hojlund coming off and not Martial coming on.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The booing martial doesn’t add up. It came across as booing Hojlund going off. As soon as Hojlund stepped off the pitch it was noticeable the booing dispersed into cheering Martial onto the pitch. It seemed like crowd wanted to make it evident they were just booing Hojlund coming off and not Martial coming on.
I don't think the match going crowd is actively going to boo a player when he's wearing our shirt. The reaction was to show their displeasure at Hojlund coming off and Martial coming on.

But once he's on, there's no point in not cheering for him as he's still playing for us.

King7Eric

Rightly? No
Only if you lack brain cells
You're right, it's only brain dead people who felt disappointed and angry at Martial coming on. After all he has been tearing it up lately. Oh wait...

Cassidy

You're right, it's only brain dead people who felt disappointed and angry at Martial coming on. After all he has been tearing it up lately. Oh wait...
Yes makes sense to keep the player who is nursing a back injury and couldnt even complete 90 mins during internationals on the pitch when we have a game mid week. Oh wait….

Lets injure the only dynamic CF we have at the club because fans don’t like Martail. Then have to play Martial for the rest of the season. So clever…

King7Eric

Yes makes sense to keep the player who is nursing a back injury and couldnt even complete 90 mins during internationals on the pitch when we have a game mid week. Oh wait….

Lets injure the only dynamic CF we have at the club because fans don’t like Martail. Then have to play Martial for the rest of the season. So clever…
You do realize we could have bought on other players? Garnacho for instance. A player who actually brings dynamism to our play.

Cassidy

You do realize we could have bought on other players? Garnacho for instance. A player who actually brings dynamism to our play.
To play CF? Garnacho did come on

King7Eric

To play CF? Garnacho did come on
If only you were allowed to change systems during a game. Especially one that was getting battered out there by the opposition.

Rashford is not great playing up top but I'd rather have him there than Martial. And Garnacho could have played from the left.

Anyway what's done is done. If you think bringing on Martial was the right decision then good for you. It was a terrible decision and played out exactly as anyone would have expected. He was utterly useless.

BelfastRed2021

Maybe he took Hojlund off because hes carrying a back injury and he needs to manage his minutes which should be kind of obvious or do we want to add hojlund to the injury list because you can bet Martial will probably play in the league cup match and tear his toe nail an be out for 6 weeks.

Gordon Godot

If only you were allowed to change systems during a game. Especially one that was getting battered out there by the opposition.

Rashford is not great playing up top but I'd rather have him there than Martial. And Garnacho could have played from the left.

Anyway what's done is done. If you think bringing on Martial was the right decision then good for you. It was a terrible decision and played out exactly as anyone would have expected. He was utterly useless.
Bringing on Martial is pointless. He is finished. I agree anything is better. Its a bit like ETH bringing on WW last season, utter garbage

Cassidy

My main point was taking off Hojlund was the right call as I stated from the start

King7Eric

My main point was taking off Hojlund was the right call as I stated from the start
I never once said Hojlund should have played the full game. My point is someone other than Martial should have come on. And so I believe that substitution was rightly booed. It was disappointment at seeing the one forward who looked capable of scoring coming off and being replaced with someone everyone knew would make zero impact.

While it was understandable why Hojlund was taken off, there was no sense in bringing on Martial to replace him.

Cassidy

I never once said Hojlund should have played the full game. My point is someone other than Martial should have come on. And so I believe that substitution was rightly booed. It was disappointment at seeing the one forward who looked capable of scoring coming off and being replaced with someone everyone knew would make zero impact.

While it was understandable why Hojlund was taken off, there was no sense in bringing on Martial to replace him.
That is a more understandable gripe than what I thought which was being unhappy Hojlund came off.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We actually saw Good Martial today.

Might have been the strangest thing in a very strange game.

Pirlo'sBeard

That's the Martial we all love. He's incredible when he's on it.

I'd like to see him start against Burnley on the left.

CloneMC16

When he's good, he balls hard. Why can't he be consistent like that? We played a lot better with him on the pitch.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That goal today is something he's capable of being part of. Once a season. Maybe. Don't let it fool you. Again.

edgecutter

Actually played well and he sprinted a few times tp hound Bayern players. Fair play to him.

ti vu

His good day where he's among the best on the pitch and he didn't get enough minutes. Just our luck.

Idxomer

I actually think our front three should be Martial - Hojlund - Rashford till Antony gets back.

That isn't based on his cameo today.

TempusFugit

He suddenly remembered how to glide past players again. I had practically forgotten that at his best he's a very very good dribbler. If he can get into any sort of form it'd help us massively.