Anthony Martial and Willian swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Don't care if Martial leaves but I'd prefer if he went abroad.

Don't want him Welbeck-ing us. Being shit 95% of the time and rocking up against us occasionally.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I would rather send Mata back in exchange for Willian.

For me, Mata has done jack shit since we bought him so he would be my preference in part exchange, in addition Willian is a right winger so would make perfect sense.

dogwithabone

No way should we consider a straight swap. Big cash adjustment and maybe it’s worth considering. People keep saying about Martial’s potential but what real evidence is there that all this supposed potential will ever come to fruition ? He should by now be a proper nailed on regular who is impossible to leave out. Unfortunately that isn’t the case.

Rajma

No way should we consider a straight swap. Big cash adjustment and maybe it’s worth considering. People keep saying about Martial’s potential but what real evidence is there that all this supposed potential will ever come to fruition ? He should by now be a proper nailed on regular who is impossible to leave out. Unfortunately that isn’t the case.
Salah and De Bruyne were supposed to come to fruition too, aye. Before Jose he was doing just fine and was on an upward slope. Maybe he’s just shit at improving and getting the best out of young players?

I rather wait for next manager to come in midway next season after inevitable fallout and still have these talents to work with rather than ageing so so wingers.

Skills

Snitch
Didn't Bayern pick up Robben & Ribery at similar points in their careers? They've absolutely smashed it for them for years beyond what most would have thought.
This comment for me highlights, how completely clueless the people who would be up for this, are.

ash_86

Why is no top club queuing up for an exciting 22yr old with world class potential costing just around £60m?

Loublaze

ATLien
I would rather send Mata back in exchange for Willian.

For me, Mata has done jack shit since we bought him so he would be my preference in part exchange, in addition Willian is a right winger so would make perfect sense.
Done jack shit? He surpassed his Chelsea goal record in less time with United and he scored that stunner against Liverpool. I wouldn't cry if he left and I actually think he should be replaced but I can't fault his contribution while at OT. Its just a shame he hasn't won many titles with us.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This would be a dumb deal.

::sonny::

Now, I know Delaney isn't the most reliable of sources, but we've seen it happen only last January, albeit in different circumstances.

How would you feel; if we ended up with Willian and Martial went the other way?

Personally, I think Willian is a great player and does a lot for the team as well. Exactly the type of player that Mourinho likes. I also, have a lot of respect for Willian as he was the only player that I recall not to have downed tools in that season when Jose was sacked by Chelsea. It looks like Martial is leaving either way now, so if we can get RW, a RW we desperately need, I wouldn't be against this deal.

I'd definitely have him at United, if it helped Mourinho to lead us to the PL or the CL. And I think with the right players Mourinho will bring us major success.

What's your opinion?
Worst deal ever

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If Trump ran the club, he would know not to sign such a terrible deal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A very Mourinho sort of deal. I actually wouldn't mind tbh.

finneh

My view is if Martial went to Chelsea he'd end up flopping and having to revive his career at around 26 at a Spurs/Dortmund type club.

In that sense he wouldn't hurt us at Chelsea and I believe Willian is fantastic so would do very well for us, so it would be a good deal.

On the flip side though I tend to err on the side of giving youth every opportunity to fulfil their potential at United. That said I'd offer him a new contract and tell him he'll be loaned out next season to a club that will play him every week. Providing he has a successful season he'd be a first choice player.

What's obvious in my view though is his mentality is not ready to be relied upon in big fixtures, but at the same time he needs those fixtures to mature... A real catch 22 at the moment. Particularly with our fanbase who're ready to lynch Mourinho for merely attaining what would be a great position to win the double in many previous seasons.

I think fans themselves need to remedy the fact that the short term beratement of a manager and the progression of youth are somewhat contradictory. A manager will always do better in the short term with a team of 29 year olds so the more pressure on the manager, the more his recruitment will serve the short term, rather than the long term.

Spurs are bringing youth through successfully because despite a decent season overall Davidson Sanchez' numerous clangers haven't been cause for them to call for him to be either sold or publicly flogged.

What's more baffling is a lot of Martial's biggest fans are Mourinho's biggest critics, but at the same time if we played Martial consistently and dropped a few points and possibly got knocked out of the FA Cup, they'd use this as a stick to beat the manager with.

TL;DR If fans want Martial instead of Willian they need to get behind the manager irrespective of the odd poor result. Otherwise they can only blame themselves for this type of short term transfer.

MJJ

I'm reluctant to swap within the league - especially when Chelsea are highly likely to have Sarri next season.

Delaney is a genuinely awful jounalist though so doubt it'll happen.
Shouldn't be selling martial in thr first place, much less for fecking willian.

Flytan

People are against letting go of someone who clearly isn't going to play on the already stacked LW position in return for gobs of cash and an instant upgrade to our RW?

?????

POF

If Chelsea want Martial and are willing to pay enough in a player plus cash deal, I think there is a really good chance this will happen.

Minimalist

I like Willian to an extent but I feel like this is bad move.

I think it's bad move to lose Martial anyway. Really feel like another manager would get more out of him.

devil in me

Obviously I'm in the minority, but i would take this in an instant . Martial has barely progressed since his first season, and it's not due to a lack of opportunities. I like the lad , but he has stagnated. Willian is class, and we haven't had a right winger for about 5 years.

reddaz71

Would not want to see this happen tbh,but aside from Willian who is quality its got to be said its the staggeringly derisory amount of £40m we would get when you see someone like Dembele and what he fetched when he joined Barcelona,Martial is surely pretty close to that sort of figure!

Decomposing In Paris

Willian is a good player, other than Kante he'd be the only Chelsea player I'd want at the club (can't stand Hazard). That said, I'd want them both for Martial. Unlike Sanchez or Willian, Martial is odds-on to be better next season than he was this.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Good deal.

Yeah maybe Martial will become a top player for Chelsea eventually, maybe he'll flop, maybe we should sell him abroad then Chelsea will re-buy him at a latter point anyway, maybe a tree will fall on him.

All that matters is Martial is no good for us right now, and Willian under Mourinho is

DancingPanda

Shouldn't be selling martial in thr first place, much less for fecking willian.
so you think it's better to keep Martial even if he wants to leave? instead of swapping him for someone who would be a better player under Mourinho while improving the RW position. make sense.

Silas

Losing Martial is bad enough in isolation. Giving him to a rival is asking for trouble. I like Willian, but I don't see this being worth it. He and Sanchez will decline in two or three years and we'll have to spend money again to replace them if Rashford (who'll be a similar age to Martial now) and others like Chong and Gomes aren't ready. If we don't manage to win major honours within that time, it will look like an even worse decision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
See you say that but I'll bet you will be moaning too. Can't blame people for being disappointed by United, potentially letting a top prospect go.
Well if said prospect has made up his mind what are we meant to do

MJJ

so you think it's better to keep Martial even if he wants to leave? instead of swapping him for someone who would be a better player under Mourinho while improving the RW position. make sense.
Yes and yes, we can easily sign a RW without swapping martial and mourinho won't be here for long if past history is anything to go by.

Willian is nothing more than another perisic.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Would not want to see this happen tbh,but aside from Willian who is quality its got to be said its the staggeringly derisory amount of £40m we would get when you see someone like Dembele and what he fetched when he joined Barcelona,Martial is surely pretty close to that sort of figure!
One of the differences is Dembele had four years left on his contract compared to two for Martial and the clubs interested in Martial aren't big spenders. Plus, Barcelona had the Neymar cash so Dortmund were in their rights to ask for as much of it as possible given there wasn't long left of the window.

If Martial isn't signing a contract then, because there are two years left, we have to decide whether it is worth selling him for 60M or whatever now or wait another year and sell him for nearly half of that. We're kinda hamstrung due to leaving negotiations so late.

Witchking

It's going to be either Martial or Rashford so take your pick. With Sanchez and Lukaku it's going to be almost impossible to give them both enough playing time because neither can play on the right. Ideally I would prefer a swap for someone like Dembele but if Jose wants Willian then go for it. I don't want any excuses next season, get Jose his players and let's bring the PL title back where it belongs.
This season the only player Jose missed out on was perisic.

It's highly unlikely for any manager to get 100% of the players he wants to get in.

Jose has to learn to improve the team, improve the coaching which helps the talented youngsters to realise their talent.

We and Jose cannot expect the transfer window to solve everything.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes and yes, we can easily sign a RW without swapping martial and mourinho won't be here for long if past history is anything to go by.

Willian is nothing more than another perisic.
Martial wants to leave because of Sanchez in part, as he's not willing to wait until Sanchez loses his place in starting 11. So it's not only due to Mourinho. And also, shouldn't we support the manager? Rather than having this shite attitude that he will leave during his 3rd season because he will have a meltdown. He won the CL with Inter in his third season. If Jose wants Willian in and Martial deal then we should support him. People didnt want Matic and he's done alright...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wilian would be brilliant for us. We know what we'd be getting from him and there is a pre-established relationship with Mourinho.

We'd probably get 2 years of his peak and Martial's quality isn't as rare as some would suggest. I'd be gutted to see Martial go but I wouldn't be as bothered if we get a player of Wilian's calibre in a much needed position.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Martial wants to leave because of Sanchez in part, as he's not willing to wait until Sanchez loses his place in starting 11. So it's not only due to Mourinho. And also, shouldn't we support the manager? Rather than having this shite attitude that he will leave during his 3rd season because he will have a meltdown. He won the CL with Inter in his third season. If Jose wants Willian in and Martial deal then we should support him. People didnt want Matic and he's done alright...
Jose was there for two seasons.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jose was there for two seasons.
Fair enough, my bad. Alas, he didn't leave Inter on bad terms. While he's here we should support him until things turn sour imo. If they do.

Skills

Snitch
No we should support the club and watch out for its best interests?

Status
Not open for further replies.