Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

I'm starting to remember why I really liked Valencia when I first saw him in the 2006 World Cup. He's really coming along well. Very nice indeed.

VP

I was one of his critics in that I thought Nani was better but he's slowly converting me. Looks like a very good signing.

He has found his form on the right wing now. Looks sharper, more confident and has a goal threat in his play. His performances over the last month suggest that he has settled into this squad nicely.

All you can say is keep up the good work and continue to develop as a player.

B Cantona

Desperate
He's been a dream signing. He didn't try to do too much initially, just put some solid performances in. As he's settled and found his confidence, he just looks a better and better player. He reminds me of Kanchelskis, quick, powerful (more so) and direct. And he scores his fair share of goals so far too. Really impressed

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's been a dream signing. He didn't try to do too much initially, just put some solid performances in. As he's settled and found his confidence, he just looks a better and better player. He reminds me of Kanchelskis, quick, powerful (more so) and direct. And he scores his fair share of goals so far too. Really impressed

and he's still quite young.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The thing I like about Valencia, is his consistency on the pitch. Although he might never become a world class player and give us those breathtaking performance or magical moment, you will always know what's he going to offer us on the pitch. No nonsense from him, and especially on counter he will punish defenders directly with his strength and pace.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yep, looks a brilliant signing. Started off solidly, but it now looks as if he could go on to be a star.

It was hilarious how much faster he was than everyone else on the pitch yesterday, which is ridiculous given the pace of some of the players on both sides.

Fergies Formula

the boy is growing in confidence i feel he has a few more gears to go through as well... Just look when he opens up deep in our half he can take it round 3 players at will. It can be so easy for him im sure he will realize this and it will be a great weapon on the counter with time.. Just like ronnie used to in a way.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is there any magical spell on his left foot, like when he used it a cat would die or something? Never saw him touch the ball with his left foot for whatever reasons.

Fergies Formula

he is a beast of a man thats for sure, would like to see him with his top off, reckon he would give ronnie a run for his money.

Maestro Minded

Yea it's really stopping him from impacting positively on the games isn't it.

Oh wait.
take a guy like giggs for example, one of the best dribbles ever in pro football, don't you imagine how good he would have been if he was ambidextrous? he would probably had been totally unbeatable.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i don't trust him. possibly because of his secondhand car dealer hair style. needs a moustache before i’m convinced of this and him in a united shirt.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
take a guy like giggs for example, one of the best dribbles ever in pro football, don't you imagine how good he would have been if he was ambidextrous? he would probably had been totally unbeatable.
In his old age he's alot more ambidextrous and willing to use variety in his game and it's paying dividends. Valencia if he added it would be extremely hard to stop.. plenty of occasions where he beats 2/3 men is by the edge of the box where he can unleash with his left but then chooses to wait for support and lays it off with his right.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea but he was so left footed eh? Shame that, fecking useless he was.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
you clearly don't get the point, either that or you just like to act ignorant.
You said he needs to use his left foot.

I'm saying it's hardly hindering him so far. Yes there have been a few times when he's cut in and shot with his right when his left would have maybe been better, but to say he needs to start using his left foot suggests that so far he is having troubles, when he's not.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I must say, I was quite dubious of signing him but I was always going to give him his fair chance. He's pretty immense in all honesty and I'm very happy with him, he has an amazing turn of pace, a good cross, strength on and off the ball, tracks back well and has an eye for goals, both tap-ins and rocket-shots.

Very pleased with him and he'll only improve with time and games.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
he is a very crafty footballer, but he is not an artist and he will never be one. nowhere close to Beckham, Ronnie, Best in terms of quality. But i'm more than pleased with his contribution.
Beckham wasn't an artist. He was a very effective player, who made the most out of two main attributes; a superb right peg and endless stamina.

Maestro Minded

You said he needs to use his left foot.

I'm saying it's hardly hindering him so far. Yes there have been a few times when he's cut in and shot with his right when his left would have maybe been better, but to say he needs to start using his left foot suggests that so far he is having troubles, when he's not.
off course it's hindering him, i've seen him making impossible crosses many times instead of cutting in easily using the lefty. same with messi, i've seen defenders block messi's left path since they know that he will probably not use his right foot to dribble. it's clearly an issue that needs to be handeled, and im sure that sir alex has instructed his trainers to work on his versatility.

i'm not saying that he's not good, he probably was our best player last moth. i just want him to maximize his abilities.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
off course it's hindering him, i've seen him making impossible crosses many times instead of cutting in easily using the lefty. same with messi, i've seen defenders block messi's left path since they know that he will probably not use his right foot to dribble. it's clearly an issue that needs to be handeled, and im sure that sir alex has instructed his trainers to work on his versatility.

i'm not saying that he's not good, he probably was our best player last moth. i just want him to maximize his abilities.
I know what you're saying, but I don't particularly agree that it's a hindrance as such. Same goes for Giggs, and as you say Messi. Would they be better if they had more use of their other foot? Yea, sure. But does it really stop them from doing a belting job as they are? Nope.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It's not a limitation, if he could use his left foot to the same effect as his other foot it would just be a massive bonus. He really doesnt need to use his left foot much. You have watched Ronaldo play too much.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's not a limitation, if he could use his left foot to the same effect as his other foot it would just be a massive bonus. He really doesnt need to use his left foot much. You have watched Ronaldo play too much.
This is my way of thinking too.

Maestro Minded

I know what you're saying, but I don't particularly agree that it's a hindrance as such. Same goes for Giggs, and as you say Messi. Would they be better if they had more use of their other foot? Yea, sure. But does it really stop them from doing a belting job as they are? Nope.
from my experience (sunday leagueish), i basically became a dribbling virtuoso after training my left foot. :nervous:

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Considering Wigan is in Greater Manchester, Antonio Valencia’s journey from the DW Stadium down the M62 to Old Trafford should not have taken as long as it did. But with Wigan chairman Dave Whelan unwilling to play ball, the deal was dragged out amidst talks of counter bids from Real Madrid.

Ferguson had been trying to sign the Ecuadorian winger since the January transfer window (a performance against United that month where he ran riot on the right wing went a long way to convince Ferguson that Valencia could be a United player) but finally got his man at the end of June, as Valencia became United’s first signing of the summer for £16m.
http://www.footballfancast.com/football-blogs/has-the-real-antonio-valencia-finally-stood-up

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
True. There are few footballers capable of playing as well with both their feet as Ronaldo does but he's the one that sets the mark for our fans nowadays. No one is ever going to match him at that. Of course it adds the element of unpredictability but it's not a complete necessity.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Valencia's more one-footed than Van Persie.

Kiwi Red

I don't think we expect Valencia to become as good on his left foot as Ronaldo was, we just want to see him actually have confidence to take shots and play passes with his left foot, rather than depend utterly on his right foot.

Against decent defenders, Valencia will need to be using both feet to keep opponents guessing, where currently he isn't.

Having said this though, I'm perfectly happy with the way he's been playing of late. These last few games he's really come into his own and has started to look very useful, showing that talent, pace and ability he undoubtebly has. 5 goals so far this season is a good haul and more to come I'm sure. Keep working hard boy, rewards will come!

VivaRonaldo7

Been impressed with him. Can't really fault him so far. Nearly as many goals as he scored the entire time with Wigan. Playing with better players now and improving every game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think we expect Valencia to become as good on his left foot as Ronaldo was, we just want to see him actually have confidence to take shots and play passes with his left foot, rather than depend utterly on his right foot.

Against decent defenders, Valencia will need to be using both feet to keep opponents guessing, where currently he isn't.

Having said this though, I'm perfectly happy with the way he's been playing of late. These last few games he's really come into his own and has started to look very useful, showing that talent, pace and ability he undoubtebly has. 5 goals so far this season is a good haul and more to come I'm sure. Keep working hard boy, rewards will come!
He did a fine job against one of the better left backs in the league - Baines. Besides our own Evra, Cole and Clichy he's arguably the best of the rest.

He doesn't need to at all, it'd be useful but not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.