View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ChrisG11

Those are all fair points, my issue is that people don't consider him a right back. Which us unfair because although he may not be world class, he's better than 3/4 of the "natural right backs" in the league this season, and it's his best possition as he's a shit winger.
Possibly, yeah. I mean the more I think about it the more I'm probably inclined to agree with you, as I'd rather see him in the line up at right back than right wing. It's just despite that, I'd still rather have a different first choice right back long term, for the reasons stated in the other post I just made.

Sid234

Valencia's pace covers up his lack of awareness and poor positioning.. He's been caught out of position quite a few times but gets back quick enough to prevent a mess up.. Plus it's not easy to win the ball from him because of his strength, so forwards don't usually try to target him either. I think he can make a good squad player who can cover at RB, RWB and RW. He's like Park, you know you'll get a 7/10 performance from him, sometimes even better.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Valencia's pace covers up his lack of awareness and poor positioning.. He's been caught out of position quite a few times but gets back quick enough to prevent a mess up.. Plus it's not easy to win the ball from him because of his strength, so forwards don't usually try to target him either. I think he can make a good squad player who can cover at RB, RWB and RW. He's like Park, you know you'll get a 7/10 performance from him, sometimes even better.
Not really, there were several occasions where he couldnt prevent them from scoring. It is something he really needs to work on

ChaddyP

Possibly, yeah. I mean the more I think about it the more I'm probably inclined to agree with you, as I'd rather see him in the line up at right back than right wing. It's just despite that, I'd still rather have a different first choice right back long term, for the reasons stated in the other post I just made.
Agreed.

Shimo

For a FB - someone that can give you 7/10 performances week in and week out is an absolute blessing. That's what he gives us. I used to argue that was what he gave us on the right wing and his peaks would rarely hit 8/9/10 but, he was a player you could count on. So many of our past winning teams have been built on the team having these players that you can just count on - they don't all have to be world class individually but, make the team one to be reckoned with.

If we can get any kind of consistent line up down the right side, Valencia will be that much better. He used to have a great partnership with Rafael because they played enough together to build that understanding. Also, now that we are settling into a system that the players are more comfortable, I expect we'll get more out of the attacking side as well. He is already doing quite a bit in terms of taking the ball infield and trying to drive forward because he knows there is someone there to cover and as LVG said they've got that Spanish wing thing going as well.

Valencia is the least of the worries we have IMO for the next couple seasons.

Gannicus

I have no idea where the Hernandez thread went, but Chicharito just scored a scorching goal at the LA Coliseum v Ecuador a few minutes ago.

Bring the little pea back!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can think of probably 3 or 4 mistakes he has made there all season and it's easy to use that mistakes against him and show why he isn't a fullback but then how many mistakes have Zabaleta and Ivanovic made this season? I think he is good enough to go into next season as our first choice. I think he will only get better there.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Geez, my posts in this thread are rather embarrassing:nervous:

I just find it so hard to accept the player he has become compared to the kind of player he was. Judging his performances on this season alone he's probably done a very good job at full back and it probably makes a lot more sense to stick with him than sign than sign some shiny new expensive player who's not any better.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he's been excellent at right back and will only get better. Much prefer having him and selling Rafael if we are buying in this position. Plus if we sign Clyne I could see Valencia keeping him out the team. I know the majority don't rate him but for me he's been with DDG Rooney and Blind one of our most consistent and reliable players. We have much more pressing positions to fill than Valencia in the short term.

Lawman

Not really, there were several occasions where he couldnt prevent them from scoring. It is something he really needs to work on
The amount of forward runs he makes contributes to this (see Evra) albeit Evras legs went in the end.

Man Utd 3:1 Aston Villa

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Such a frustrating player.
Is Rafael really so out of favour that he cant even get a sub appearance to show what he can do?

DWelbz19

The amount of times Mata and Herrera put him through for it to amount to nothing was ridiculous. Being 'solid defensively' will get you so far. Rafael would have been a far better suit today.

Walters_19_MuFc

Delivery wasn't the best today, but he's a constant threat down the right. I mean, the amount of times he made sacrificing runs to open up the space for Mata was incredible.

::sonny::

Always solid and good help for Mata and Herrera, surely better than Rafael, but I expect us to sign Coleman or Clyne.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Always solid and good help for Mata and Herrera, surely better than Rafael, but I expect us to sign Coleman or Clyne.
Better than Rafael how exactly, do people just forget how good Rafael can be for us, or are they just that blinded by the mediocrity we have watched from turn back tony for nigh on 3 years.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's just disgusting going forward. He'll put half his crosses in the stands and the others reach no one. Most wasteful players from good positons I've seen.

thejtrain

Relentless running w/o any quality. The amount of times he got in behind the defence only to be let down by his crossing :eek:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see where all the Valencia hate is coming from. Apparently there are limited things to moan about after a 3-1 win.

kps88

Rafael's final ball may be better but there's no way he would be getting into the sort of positions Valencia does all game long. His stamina and work rate off the ball are immense and it's often overlooked just how important that is.

Eugenius

He's steady enough, but it's fecking annoying watching someone who was (one of) the best winger(s) in the league a few years ago to being so blunt even at right back where he has more time and space. Defensively he's good against kick and rush merchants, impenetrable even, but he's not a natural defender. I'm surprised Rafael can't get a look in, because he's not exactly setting the bar high.

For the "Fergie/Moyes/LvG loved him crew so he must be good" please note that neither Fergie or Moyes never played Valencia over Rafael at RB. They played him at RW, mainly because the other options were out of form Young and out of form, injured, lacking confidence (and a couple of years ago, almost out of contract) Nani. It's not like LvG hasn't made errors either (let's not start on 352 or Rooney in midfield...)

wr8_utd

:'(
Rafael's final ball may be better but there's no way he would be getting into the sort of positions Valencia does all game long. His stamina and work rate off the ball are immense and it's often overlooked just how important that is.
You should watch some of the Rafael performances from earlier this season. He was immense bombing down the wing.

POF

Dreadful today. Where has this idea come from that he is "solid defensively"? His attempted challenge on Weimann in the box just before Benteke shot over was pathetic and once again he conceded needless fouls around the box when the pressure was on.

Just as he was exposed against Arsenal, it would be crazy to start him against City, but start he will. He keeps the ball well and is fast but offers nothing else.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Rafa wouldn't offer anything different than Valencia, who actually has more pace.
Rubbish, he's infinitely better going forward, put Rafael in those positions and he'll be making something of them. He's a much for progressive player, he wants to attack, his first instinct is to go forward whereas Valencia has to almost be forced to attack.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
It's not like LvG hasn't made errors either (let's not start on 352 or Rooney in midfield...)
Rooney got a goal and was involved in the 3rd after moving to midfield today. Just saying.

Agree re: Valencia though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The worlds best RB until he has to put a cross in
Quite an apt description. Off the ball, he does nearly everything right. His defenders solidly. His work rate is enormous. His link up play in the build up is mostly very very good, but then he either dithers, or he blasts a cross out for a throw.

He only had one good delivery today, the one that Fellaini headered into the ground. Should have been a goal.

I still rate him as our most reliable RB though, as he's very strong defensively, and seems able to last the distance both on the pitch, and playing game after game without getting crocked.

WyoManU

I think Valencia has improved under LVG but he is not the player we need at RB to play with Mata and Herrera in the triangles. If we can get a fast and confident RB that can actually take defenders on and cross with consistency then that right side could prove all sorts of problems. As it is now they do well but Valencia just cannot provide any consistency in his final balls.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rubbish, he's infinitely better going forward, put Rafael in those positions and he'll be making something of them. He's a much for progressive player, he wants to attack, his first instinct is to go forward whereas Valencia has to almost be forced to attack.
What nonsense. He's really not "infinitely better" going forward, or else he would be playing. If anything Rafa is randomly reckless at times, which doesn't remotely justify him starting over Valencia, who has done a good job.

nemanja15

Valencia gets caught out less defensively, whilst Rafael is a better attacking option. Neither are bad players, but LVG's choice tells you what he ultimately looks for in a full back - and right now, it's working. So don't change it!

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't see where all the Valencia hate is coming from. Apparently there are limited things to moan about after a 3-1 win.
It's beyond daft. He's doing everything we need right now. Having a right back who takes more risks would be counter productive considering the creativity we already have on the field.

POF

What nonsense. He's really not "infinitely better" going forward, or else he would be playing. If anything Rafa is randomly reckless at times, which doesn't remotely justify him starting over Valencia, who has done a good job.
Did you see that tackle by Valencia in the first half on Delph (I think)? That was a reckless challenge. He does that sort of thing all the time but doesn't get a reputation as being reckless because he is such an emotionless character.