5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Valencia had a good final ball he'd be one of the best right backs around really. The guy is a tank physically, always a reliable outlet, links up really well with Mata and Herrera and offers that side of the pitch the physical presence that Fellaini offers on the other side. Can be so frustrating with the little fouls and bad final ball though.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It's not just the final ball. It's the hesitancy to even try and do something. He's had that problem ever since 2012. It's one of the most infuriating things.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Did you see that tackle by Valencia in the first half on Delph (I think)? That was a reckless challenge. He does that sort of thing all the time but doesn't get a reputation as being reckless because he is such an emotionless character.
Well shit happens. De Gea, one of the world's top keepers had a howler today. The main thing is how the team played collectively, which is why Van Gaal isn't likely to start randomly swapping players out to experiment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think the annoying thing is he clearly used to know how to cross and take a man on, that's exactly what he built his career on!. His first season for us had some beautiful crosses. Since then though it's like he's forgotton how to cross apart from that stupid chip cross he does.

If he can get his attacking game back together he would be a great rb.

POF

It is really incredible that fans who would have watched full backs like Denis Irwin and Gary Neville can think that Antonio Valencia is good defensively at right back. It just beggars belief.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
At first it's because he was getting doubled up on, then it was because he didn't have anyone playing infront of him, and now it's not actually important for him to put in any decent crosses, it's just about giving space to other players by being there. Standards, where have they gone?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Valencia has been very good, apart from his final ball (as usual) but tbh hes done well. Better @ RB than RM

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think he's been instructed specifically to float that cross into the back post and let Fellaini do the rest because he is matched up against the right back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What nonsense. He's really not "infinitely better" going forward, or else he would be playing. If anything Rafa is randomly reckless at times, which doesn't remotely justify him starting over Valencia, who has done a good job.
You're kidding right? Even the most die hard Valencia fans will tell you he serious lacks with the final ball, smashing the ball as hard as he can at the nearest defender or playing a 3 yard pass backwards doesn't always cut it unfortunately. I just loath the bolded part as an argument, would you have been saying the same thing about Herrera when Rooney was starting in front of him in midfield? LVG clearly wants to keep consistency in his team until the end of the season hence the starting line up in the last 3/4 games.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're kidding right? Even the most die hard Valencia fans will tell you he serious lacks with the final ball, smashing the ball as hard as he can at the nearest defender or playing a 3 yard pass backwards doesn't always cut it unfortunately. I just loath the bolded part as an argument, would you have been saying the same thing about Herrera when Rooney was starting in front of him in midfield? LVG clearly wants to keep consistency in his team until the end of the season hence the starting line up in the last 3/4 games.
Yes he does want to keep consistency, because things are working very well for us right now, which makes this obsession with Rafa "getting a game" all the more nonsensical. The team comes before any one player.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Agreed on all fronts. I would have done a better job than Valencia today.

The only good news is he'll soon be thirty, so even if we insist on keeping him he'll have to retire eventually.

ivaldo

Yes he does want to keep consistency, because things are working very well for us right now, which makes this obsession with Rafa "getting a game" all the more nonsensical. The team comes before any one player.
Its not him "getting a game" like some charity, a lot of people genuinely think he's the better player. Its naive to think we still can't improve on what we currently have without bringing in new players, we've still got a lot more growing room within this team. I, like others identify Valencia as the current weak link within the starting XI and feel Rafael will improve us there, its hardly nonsensical.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its not him "getting a game" like some charity, a lot of people genuinely think he's the better player. Its naive to think we still can't improve on what we currently have without bringing in new players, we've still got a lot more growing room within this team. I, like others identify Valencia as the current weak link within the starting XI and feel Rafael will improve us there, its hardly nonsensical.
Van Gaal obviously disagrees with this so why bother with a campaign ? If he wants to bring in a new RB next year all of this will be moot, but for now, the manager rates Valencia as better for the team, as opposed to better individually.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Van Gaal obviously disagrees with this so why bother with a campaign ? If he wants to bring in a new RB next year all of this will be moot, but for now, the manager rates Valencia as better for the team, as opposed to better individually.
How would Rafael possibly do any worse than Valencia? I cant see how a right back is going to throw off our team's rhythm.

hbgreg

Agreed on all fronts. I would have done a better job than Valencia today.

The only good news is he'll soon be thirty, so even if we insist on keeping him he'll have to retire eventually.
No you wouldn't.

bosnian_red

He improves us for 2-3 games, and then gets injured. It's a constant disruption and Valencia is a good player with different qualities that compliment Herrera and Mata, and he is always fit. The most important thing with the defence is to stay fit and build an understanding like they have now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How would Rafael possibly do any worse than Valencia? I cant see how a right back is going to throw off our team's rythym.
Valencia hasn't done a bad job and LvG obviously considers him more useful to his formation and tactics than Rafa. Its actually more destablizing to randomly swap out players in a successful formation, which is one thing Van Gaal was criticized for when we were struggling. So why do it now ? The correct answer is, we shouldn't.

Riz

He improves us for 2-3 games, and then gets injured. It's a constant disruption and Valencia is a good player with different qualities that compliment Herrera and Mata, and he is always fit. The most important thing with the defence is to stay fit and build an understanding like they have now.
Yeh I don't think even an in form Rafael is worth constantly disrupting our already fragile defence. We're better going with stability.

ivaldo

Come on Raoul, this a forum, its where people come to give their opinions, its hardly a campaign.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Come on Raoul, this a forum, its where people come to give their opinions, its hardly a campaign.
It wasn't meant for you really, just a general thought. Just a bit bizarre that people are so easily willing to fiddle with a successful lineup that has clearly worked for us.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rafael is ten times the player Valencia is going forward. Don't see why that's even a debate.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Rafael is ten times the player Valencia is going forward. Don't see why that's even a debate.
It's not just that... Valencia barely qualifies as a footballer. He's an athlete who looks like he belongs in gymnastics or weightlifting, not a football pitch.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
It wasn't meant for you really, just a general thought. Just a bit bizarre that people are so easily willing to fiddle with a successful lineup that has clearly worked for us.
Ferguson always, always tinkered with his line up regardless of team form.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not just that... Valencia barely qualifies as a footballer. He's an athlete who looks like he belongs in gymnastics or weightlifting, not a football pitch.
:lol: Well I guess this sums up the extent of your credibility in the football forums.

bosnian_red

Ferguson always, always tinkered with his line up regardless of team form.
Not always, moreso by the end when the most of our squad was squad players who were all similar in quality so we'd rotate until someone picked up form. We probably went too far with the rotation at times anyways.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
:lol: Well I guess this sums up the extent of your credibility in the football forums.
Credibility? You want to talk about credibility? I'm a Manchester United fan who watches as many matches as I can from the comfort of his couch, and post somewhat regularly on a bloody message board because it interests me. I have ZERO credibility about anything, nevermind Manchester United.

But that's me. I take it you're coming from a far more enlightened perspective, so don't worry about my useless 2p.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Credibility? You want to talk about credibility? I'm a Manchester United fan who watches as many matches as he can from the comfort of his couch, who posts somewhat regularly on a bloody message board because it interests me. I have ZERO credibility about anything, nevermind Manchester United.

But that's me. I take it you're coming from a far more enlightened perspective, so don't worry about my useless 2p.
Some fan you are - ranting about how one of our players barely qualifies as a footballer and instead belongs in gymnastics.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Some fan you are - ranting about how one of our players barely qualifies as a footballer and instead belongs in gymnastics.
I know. Isn't that just the most over the top criticism you've ever heard by a fan (whom it's already been established has no credibility anyway) on an online message board?

Need I remind you and anyone else who's interested that this very thread, his official thread on tis forum had "performances" in brackets because it was so widely understood that he was rubbish that it wasnt even a point of contention with anybody.

Boycott

If Valencia had a good final ball he'd be one of the best right backs around really. The guy is a tank physically, always a reliable outlet, links up really well with Mata and Herrera and offers that side of the pitch the physical presence that Fellaini offers on the other side. Can be so frustrating with the little fouls and bad final ball though.
I agree with this. He's composed with the ball and combines very well with others. Always felt he should score more than he does, maybe it's confidence with him and once he gets one off he'll feel better to start seizing responsibility. If it doesn't work for the first couple of times he seems to drop off and just contend with doing his basic job, which is solid but he certainly is capable of more. Rafael has more urgency about him but defensively he gives the feeling he's always on the edge. Van Gaal talks about making the players think about football, Rafael is instinctive. Coach that out of him and he's half the player, which is why I don't see a future for him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I felt he was actually more attacking today and willing to try things than he has been for quite some time. Still not enough, but better.

Wish Rafa would get a chance though. Obviously won't be in the next two matches against City and Chelsea, but hopefully he'll get an opportunity after that and show enough that he's kept in for the last few matches.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can't criticize his individual performance because don't expect much from him. However, he seems to have a good understanding with Mata and Herrera and it helps the team.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I don't see where all the Valencia hate is coming from. Apparently there are limited things to moan about after a 3-1 win.
He's quite obviously holding us back though. Just look at how much Blind created on the left compared to Valencia. Valencia put in a lot of work today and made a lot of good runs, but the quality simply isn't there when it really matters. A new right back (seeing as Rafael seemingly won't get another game under LVG) is very much needed.