Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Hope he'd sub Mata, but if injury (cramp?) was in play, no wonder. I do wish to see at least once both Darmian and Valencia on the right.

jem

Got seriously nervous when he came on. He has very positional sense. Can we just stop putting midfielders in the defence?
Yeah, I'd rather he be an occasional sub for Mata. No reason for him to ever start at RB again.

NinjaFletch

Hope he'd sub Mata, but if injury (cramp?) was in play, no wonder. I do wish to see at least once both Darmian and Valencia on the right.
Why on earth would you want to see Valencia do anything other than sit on the bench?

stu_1992

The difference in defensively solidity when he came on at the end was absolutely staggering.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we can find another Darmian like type of full back than we should allow him to leave

Devil may care

I wish we could give Blind his physique, the guy looks like he should be trying out for WWF. He made one really good defensive interception when he came on and he's had less pre season than the rest of the team.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Darmian really exposed how bad Valencia is at defensive positioning.

Darmian really shower him up today. Nothing got past Darmian all game, and within 5 minutes of Valencia coming on Spurs skinned us twice down the right.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Why does he still get games? Darmian was doing fine I thought. Hopefully it's just to get Darmian up to speed and it won't be a regular thing.

marlowe78

Why does he still get games? Darmian was doing fine I thought. Hopefully it's just to get Darmian up to speed and it won't be a regular thing.
It was said during the game that he was cramping and needed to come off. Your question is spot on, though. Valencia didn't cut it as a winger and now there's this myth that he's a capable RB. I hope today showed everyone what it's like to have a capable player in that position, which we've forgotten after seeing Valencia cock it up last season.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
It was said during the game that he was cramping and needed to come off. Your question is spot on, though. Valencia didn't cut it as a winger and now there's this myth that he's a capable RB. I hope today showed everyone what it's like to have a capable player in that position, which we've forgotten after seeing Valencia cock it up last season.
Exactly. Valencia not making a mistake was seen as him playing well whereas today was just an average game for Darmian.

Water Melon

Will stay as a back-up RB. Will never reach Darmian's level.

santeria13

Sublemon
Nearly cost us the game on numerous occassions. Shouldn't play as RB again.

Sam

Conceded 3 chances within about 10 minutes of him coming on at right back.

He's terrible.

Glanville95

He just doesn't have the natural instincts and positioning of a defender does he? Gets caught out of position twice within five minutes of entering the fray. He's fine as a squad option still, as he possessed useful attributes, but he should still be used sparingly while we have someone like Darmian on our hands.

Eugenius

I've been saying for a while he's an awful defender when it comes to anything except 1 vs 1. The big fecking gaps down our right and Smalling doing so much mopping up are not a coincidence. Boggles the mind we let Rafael go to keep him as backup RB.

Ixion

Was pretty clear as soon as Darmian went off Spurs got a ton of space down our right side. Valencia's positioning when defending is generally very poor. I was actually expecting him to be subbed on for Mata and play on the right wing again as there seemed no need to take Darmian off. If it was cramp/fitness related then fair enough.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Wouldn't mind Paddy being groomed as our back-up right-sided utility defender to replace him (and Blind relegated to the same role on the other side).

bugmat

Terrible terrible player - his 9 minute cameo lead to a 20 minute defensive mess by the team - they must have seen him warming up. Darmian probably got cramps just looking at him. Our first 30 minute showing when they got in behind us constantly and almsot scored 2-3 times was probably when he was at the front of our bench. Get him out.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i fail to see what he brings to this club. as others have pointed out, mcnair is a better back up. even smalling is a better option.

and as useless as he is in the back, he's even worse any further forward.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
His first game since last season after getting an operation on a long term injury over the summer. Don't let that stop the hating guys, you're doing yourselves proud.
yes, because it was only his cameo that we're complaining about. he's rubbish, he's been rubbish for at least three years, and we'd be better served handing out cameos to players who have a future in the league and at united. valencia at his age and his calibre does not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
yes, because it was only his cameo that we're complaining about. he's rubbish, he's been rubbish for at least three years, and we'd be better served handing out cameos to players who have a future in the league and at united. valencia at his age and his calibre does not.
If you're going to hate on a player after every game, irrespective of the context of that game, well that says more about you than it does about him.

You're wrong about a bunch of other stuff in your post but clearly too far gone to be reasoned with, so I won't bother.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
His first game since last season after getting an operation on a long term injury over the summer. Don't let that stop the hating guys, you're doing yourselves proud.
Nice. Apparently operations (this one btw was supposed to "free his attacking side" or something) affect a defender's positional sense. For sure it has nothing to do with the positioning errors seen in almost ever match since he was pushed to RB.
But since LvG played him over Rafael, Valencia is solid and dependable, Rafael is rash and stupid, and anyone questioning that choice is stupid and blind.

Bojan11

i fail to see what he brings to this club. as others have pointed out, mcnair is a better back up. even smalling is a better option.

and as useless as he is in the back, he's even worse any further forward.
McNair is not a better right back. He was all over the place against Swansea.

He looked great against Yeovil, but so would Valencia.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How dare you people hate on a player who has been shite for three seasons.
Someone else who hasn't a fecking clue. Amazing the way this thread attracts them. Valencia was a decent fullback last season. Some poor performances but generally one of our more consistent performers. Sadly, that's the sort of nuance that escapes the mouth-breathers who gleefully tear strips off him after every single game he plays :yawn:

lem8sh

Someone else who hasn't a fecking clue. Amazing the way this thread attracts them. Valencia was a decent fullback last season. Some poor performances but generally one of our more consistent performers. Sadly, that's the sort of nuance that escapes the mouth-breathers who gleefully tear strips off him after every single game he plays :yawn:
Man I missed your pompous "I'm better than you retorts" Pogue. I can sleep soundly once again now my fix has been got.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He won't play in many of the big games this season I don't think.

As for hating etc etc, I don't hate any player. Valencia is, however, a disappointment - he was a very good winger when he joined us, but has become a right back who is positionally weak and very mediocre at distributing the ball. Sure he can tackle, but being built like a tank is perhaps why that aspect of his game is feared. I just wonder why he was allowed to get to tank level - it's not really suited to wing play is it?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is that what you're doing here :rolleyes:

But nah he's dump. Darmian played better on his debut than Valencia ever has at right back. I'm amazed you continue to back him, he's a complete liability and when he can't rely on his pace he's completely lost.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
If you're going to hate on a player after every game, irrespective of the context of that game, well that says more about you than it does about him.

You're wrong about a bunch of other stuff in your post but clearly too far gone to be reasoned with, so I won't bother.
Youre probably right about this.

... But I'm still probably right with what I wrote, too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was consistent for sure. Consistently not good enough.

manutddjw

I just don't understand him at all.

There was a couple games under Moyes, notably the 5-0 against Leverkusen, where he looked like the Valencia of old and then he was back to being terrible again. He's gotten bulkier, but everything that he had going for him in 2010 like pace still remain, yet he is a shadow of himself. I just don't get it.

Also he seems like a very mean dude and then he posts a video of himself romantically dancing wth his dog. Which is another thing about him that doesn't make sense.

Timdbro

I just don't understand him at all.

There was a couple games under Moyes, notably the 5-0 against Leverkusen, where he looked like the Valencia of old and then he was back to being terrible again. He's gotten bulkier, but everything that he had going for him in 2010 like pace still remain, yet he is a shadow of himself. I just don't get it.

Also he seems like a very mean dude and then he posts a video of himself romantically dancing wth his dog. Which is another thing about him that doesn't make sense.
:lol: I had no idea this existed, fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.