Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
he's obviously not as good as darmian, but neither of our three rb's from last season are ( him, mcnair or rafael)...especially in their positioning as a rb...but he was decent last season until he fell off near the season end...

Going through his perfomance thread from last year highlights that ...for the majority of the season, he generally kept the naysayers quiet....but then from the arsenal game, the pitchforks generally come out...his physicality and speed are good traits and he can cover rb, cm, and rw

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
His best game last season was in that cm/rm role in the diamond, we should play him centrally as he used to do it all the time for Equador and seemed to play quite well.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
His best game last season was in that cm/rm role in the diamond, we should play him centrally as he used to do it all the time for Equador and seemed to play quite well.
:lol: we haven't been this strong in the centre of the park in a generation, why the hell would we put our most limited player there? at whose expense?

The Mitcher

:lol: we haven't been this strong in the centre of the park in a generation, why the hell would we put our most limited player there? at whose expense?
I didn't say replace anyone with him, don't put words in my mouth. I said we should play him there as he is wasted on the wing as he has nothing to add there nowadays and defensively he is a liability. He's a squad player ffs.

Shimo

Don't get the he is obviously not as good as Darmian or that Darmian is a far better rb comments after just one game for us. He well could be, seeing that's his natural position and he's learned his football as a defender. However, lots of players have had excellent one off games and well players like Evra / Vidic had terrible starts and in neither case did one game tell us everything about the player. While I am also in the camp of am glad Darmian is here and I can see him offering more in the position that Valencia has, he has a lot to prove before it can be said he is a better option.

Valencia has provided consistency at quite a high level in whichever role he has played, winger, wingback or tradtional rightback. He is not a world beater at RB but, he has did a better than average job for us last season despite his flaws positionally. There is a big difference between being shit and great. Tony has never been shit for us at rightback - just not been able to become great and that's not for lack of effort on his part. At least respect that when talking about his performances.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I didn't say replace anyone with him, don't put words in my mouth. I said we should play him there as he is wasted on the wing as he has nothing to add there nowadays and defensively he is a liability. He's a squad player ffs.
i'll re-word it. if valencia is on the pitch, it would mean someone else isn't. who would not be worthy of being on the pitch, if he is?

The Mitcher

i'll re-word it. if valencia is on the pitch, it would mean someone else isn't. who would not be worthy of being on the pitch, if he is?
Again, I didn't say he should replace anyone I said we should try him out there. I didn't say as first choice. That's a stupid question to ask.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He looked very good against Tottenham, for sure, but they don't have those rapid wingers who are great at dribbling and running against defenders anymore (which used to be their trademark, just like United).
Agbonlahor's rapid but I don't think he's any good at dribbling. Will be a good test for Darmian all the same. Looking forward to see how he copes.

Rossa

Agbonlahor's rapid but I don't think he's any good at dribbling. Will be a good test for Darmian all the same. Looking forward to see how he copes.
Indeed. I believe I recall Rafael always having good spells against him, but then again, he was rapid too - used to keep up with Bale on occasions. When Agbonlahor is on song, he's pretty good at just knocking it past and running. Dribbling is definitely not his forte.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Another vintage performance.

Baxter

That was absolutely awful. Comes on against a guy thats been running back to his own goal the whole game and didn't try to take him on once. Utterly pointless.

Last edited:

binary bot
Is his takeon game completely gone? Still has pace yet chooses to standup two crosses when isolated with a fullback who has played 75 minutes more than him. One cross he couldn't even shape properly for, it was more like a hoof into the box.

Hed Zitin

What was he going to bring that changed the game? He does nothing Darmian can't do and better. Darmian didn't look tired compared to some other players either.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Absolutely rubbish, would be delighted if I never saw him play for United again. Can't believe we sold Rafael and kept him. He can't beat a man, he can't cross and he is average at best defensively. It's so painful watching him, it's so easy to defend against him.

Sad thing is, his crossing was a big improvement over Darmian.
True Darmian's crossing was poor, but Valencia's wasn't any better at all. Certainly not a big improvement. At least Darmian went past the left back a few times

Devil may care

I can see why LvG tried him as Darmian wasted several good openings and we had an in on that side, sadly he was no better in exploiting it.

Dion

Possibly the most cowardly performance I've see from someone in a United shirt.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
All he does is pass back.

Don't know what went through his mind when he decided that crossing to depay might be effective

Obiorahking_

People are saying all he does is pass back..meanwhile Darmian only had ONE take on..and he failed. At least Valencia did offer better crossing.

Obiorahking_

Absolutely rubbish, would be delighted if I never saw him play for United again. Can't believe we sold Rafael and kept him. He can't beat a man, he can't cross and he is average at best defensively. It's so painful watching him, it's so easy to defend against him.

True Darmian's crossing was poor, but Valencia's wasn't any better at all. Certainly not a big improvement. At least Darmian went past the left back a few times
No he didn't. Stop spewing constant crap from your computer. Darmian made a lot of good runs, but much like the rest of our players lacked the end ball when the ball fell to him.

POF

Surprised by some of the venom here. He almost won the game. Was an excellent block by Collocini to deny him. Got a few decent crosses in too. Darmian was knackered. As long as there's no defending to do Valencia is fine.

Only problem with bringing him on is that he was the last sub and less likely to make an impact than Herrera or even Young.

Jayvin

No he didn't. Stop spewing constant crap from your computer. Darmian made a lot of good runs, but much like the rest of our players lacked the end ball when the ball fell to him.
Uhh, that's pretty much what I said? Maybe read my post properly.

Thanks for attacking me though, great stuff.

Jayvin

He almost won the game. Was an excellent block by Collocini to deny him. Got a few decent crosses in too.
I guess I need to rewatch the last 10 minutes or so because I don't agree with any of that. I can't remember a single good cross

Obiorahking_

Uhh, that's pretty much what I said? Maybe read my post properly.

Thanks for attacking me though, great stuff.
No. That is not what you said.
You said that Valencia could not beat a man then said that Darmian got passed the left back a few times. Making good runs is not the same as taking a man on and beating him. Darmian attempted one take on, and failed.

Ash_G

I understand why we brought him on but surely he wasn't following instructions. Kept coming inside and still reluctant to put a cross in. Can't help but feel young would have done better

Obiorahking_

I guess I need to rewatch the last 10 minutes or so because I don't agree with any of that. I can't remember a single good cross
Well it is true. Antonio Valencia continued his build up play and almost got the winning goal if Colocini was not in the way.
Antonio Valencia attempted 3 crosses and 1 of them was completed.

bugmat

I can see why LvG tried him as Darmian wasted several good openings and we had an in on that side, sadly he was no better in exploiting it.
Apart from a good blocked shot that is. Darmian is tice as good defensively but offensively he has much room to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.