Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I swear he used to just smash crosses. Wtf are these dinky chips? Nothing is ever going to come from them. Not one has led to a header in goal because how is anyone ever going to generate enough power from a ball like that.

Keenst

He was so good today. Still annoys me when he lets the ball go still and just starts hooping around it though.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
His first touch is unreal, arguably the best in our squad or may be except Mata.

Mike09

Motm

Can't we just skip our "player of the season" award and just give it to this guy? Always had a good game for his worst since gameweek 1.

devips

He used his left foot superbly, and his crosses were great. Among other things. But some people around here will still whinge, I guess.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He's been great. I guess the complaining comes from how predictable it all makes us.

Not his fault no one else can be as incisive.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
He used his left foot superbly, and his crosses were great. Among other things. But some people around here will still whinge, I guess.
Crosses were shite. Hoofing them up with no real address without looking up to spot a player to aim for. Rooney made a great run and was free around the penalty spot, Valencia hoofs it up into the air instead of going for the hard pass.

Sigma

Crosses were shite. Hoofing them up with no real address without looking up to spot a player to aim for. Rooney made a great run and was free around the penalty spot, Valencia hoofs it up into the air instead of going for the hard pass.
Take your hate somewhere else

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Incisive ? Most of the time he stops up and hesitates.
Because it is so predictable that rivals shift men to the flank and crowd his space.

If only we worked ALL channels as effectively as he works his then that wouldn't be possible.

Fracture90

How come some people still can't seem to understand that his attacking game is always limited to playing safe because he's singlehandedly holding the entire right flank and he can't afford to give the possession away in that dangerous area and open us up for counter attack.

That is the reason he plays it safe all the time. If you remember few years back he was mixing it in with cutting in from the right side but now he's playing RB and there's nobody covering him when Carrick isn't playing.

Our best and most consistent player this season. Great today as well.

MThomas

Because it is so predictable that rivals shift men to the flank and crowd his space.

If only we worked ALL channels as effectively as he works his then that wouldn't be possible.
But i'm not talking about when he's crowded, i'm talking about when he has a great chance to pick out a teammate, like he did with Rooney, and instead he waits and he wants before lofting a ball in with no real address. When it comes to looking up and picking out a teammate, he usually gets it wrong. It was a big surprise that he managed to pick out Zlatan last week for his 1-1 goal.

He'll run through a brick wall for the club and i love him for that, but he should be doing miles more with his final ball given the positions he gets himself into

Rossa

How come some people still can't seem to understand that his attacking game is always limited to playing safe because he's singlehandedly holding the entire right flank and he can't afford to give the possession away in that dangerous area and open us up for counter attack.

That is the reason he plays it safe all the time. If you remember few years back he was mixing it in with cutting in from the right side but now he's playing RB and there's nobody covering him when Carrick isn't playing.

Great post! Yeah, people seem to want him to do absolutely everything on his own. His crosses today were pretty darn good as well.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I agree with @MThomas. His crossing is a big issue when he's our main outlet. People were talking about his success rate last week but that doesn't take into consideration the crosses that our players get to but can only head down for someone else or can't even do that with it due to it being overhit from Valencia.

I've came into the discussion late so could have missed some of it but I don't think him playing it safe is the issue people have. The issue is when he's after doing well to get into a dangerous area but then just plays a hopeful high ball into a general area in the box instead of trying to pick out one of our players. Most of his crosses seem to lack pace too which makes it harder for our players to do anything with them.

Fracture90

I've came into the discussion late so could have missed some of it but I don't think him playing it safe is the issue people have. The issue is when he's after doing well to get into a dangerous area but then just plays a hopeful high ball into a general area in the box instead of trying to pick out one of our players. Most of his crosses seem to lack pace too which makes it harder for our players to do anything with them
IMO the reason he's opting for waiting for backup or just sending it in high when he's in dangerous area is exactly because he can't risk it with going into dribble knowing he'll open us up if he losses the ball.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
IMO the reason he's opting for waiting for backup or just sending it in high when he's in dangerous area is exactly because he can't risk it with going into dribble knowing he'll open us up if he losses the ball.
Yeah, possibly. There certainly could be a reason that I'm missing as his technique is impeccable in every other area. Which is probably a big factor as to why his crossing disappoints me.

MThomas

He's crossing the ball. You either look up and aim for a specific player or you aim for an area where you expect a player to turn up. It's got nothing to do with playing it safe, as either way he's crossing the ball. It's not like he's keeping possession. My main beef with Valencia is that when he crosses the ball, he rarely looks up for options in advance. Head down, run with the ball, either smacks it in low or hoofs it into the air. If he had looked up, he would've spotted Rooney in an excellent position, instead he holds on to the ball and ends up lifting it up high, making it extremely difficult to win headers against Stoke and at the same time getting enough power to score

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Another good performance from him but unfortunately opposition teams have worked out by now that if you double up on him and stop his crosses we have very few other ideas to break them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.