Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Completely invisible as always in big games. Mediocre player that sums our attacking threat.

iKeano

Worst performance from a Man Utd captain I ever witnessed. Wasn’t leading the team, wasn’t questioning Oliver’s shit decisions, he didn’t even have the sense to bring Lingard, Martial and Rashford away from Rojo in the first half when they were visibly distressed by hi she injury.

The lad was beyond poor today.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Probably the worst captain that i’ve seen for United in over 30 years of supporting the club.

Footyislife

Solid on defense. We don't have a midfield currently so he's got few options going forward unless we want to concede goals. Still one of the best FB in the league, just can't cross that well.

Bwuk

Solid on defense. We don't have a midfield currently so he's got few options going forward unless we want to concede goals. Still one of the best FB in the league, just can't cross that well.
In what world is he one of the best full backs in the league.

Bwuk

This world.
How though? He can't cross a ball at all, and when he gets the ball he either runs down the line and hits it off someones shin, or passes the ball backwards.

Neither him nor Young are anywhere near as good as the Cafe likes to make out.

Worst performance from a Man Utd captain I ever witnessed. Wasn’t leading the team, wasn’t questioning Oliver’s shit decisions, he didn’t even have the sense to bring Lingard, Martial and Rashford away from Rojo in the first half when they were visibly distressed by hi she injury.

The lad was beyond poor today.
Would help if he even spoke English.

He's still solid but he's regressed since last season and not physically. He's even more reluctant to play a forward pass or make a run down the wing. It kills any kind of creativity down our right flank.

iKeano

He's still solid but he's regressed since last season and not physically. He's even more reluctant to play a forward pass or make a run down the wing. It kills any kind of creativity down our right flank.
Spot on.

Minimalist

Who could do a better job?
That's the bloody point isn't it. How have we allowed this to happen that a former winger is our only legit right back. Darmian doesn't count.

Even if he was Dani Alves, he's going to have an off game and he needs some competition at least (ideally someone to eventually replace him).

EDIT: noticed from below you might be talking of the captaincy.

Last edited:

MadMike

Who could do a better job?
As a captain? That's easy, anyone who speaks the language would do a better job.

How can you have as captain someone who can't communicate with the refs? That's like half the job of being a captain. And it's not like he does the other half. He's not exactly talkative with his team mates either.

I'd take Ashley Young or Smalling easily ahead of him as captains. Or Pogba. They are at least arguing the cause and talk to the other players.

Now if you mean RB, I don't know who in the team could do a better job. Probably no one.

Footyislife

How though? He can't cross a ball at all, and when he gets the ball he either runs down the line and hits it off someones shin, or passes the ball backwards.

Neither him nor Young are anywhere near as good as the Cafe likes to make out.
Ask yourself when was the last time you saw him in clear space with a 1v1 due to an overlapping winger? I'll wait.

The issue is we don't play with traditional wide players and overlapping FBs. Valencia is usually playing as a wing back which he's not good at because his creativity & techncial skills are particularly lacking. Still better than most FBs due to his dominance on defense. His performance is a result of the system being employed.

Keep the game simple for him - run fast, overlap, and cross. On defense run back and beast.

Foxbatt

As for a Captain, Smalling or Young is much better. Smalling for all his poor play is a decent captain and he tries to organize his defence and shouts too.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought I was the only one. He's barely bombed up this season compared to last. I doubt it's instructional, so maybe that knee is bothering him.

Either way, we need an upgrade on him.

tomaldinho1

I thought I was the only one. He's barely bombed up this season compared to last. I doubt it's instructional, so maybe that knee is bothering him.

Either way, we need an upgrade on him.
We're basically a transfer window behind City. We need 2 x full backs and a top CM.

reddevil702

In what world is he one of the best full backs in the league.
I think the FB position in general lacks quality across Europe. I mean Dani Alves is still considered to be one of the best and he seemed to be past it when he left Barca. I personally prefer Young over Valencia as Young can actually put in a decent cross.

Man Utd 1:0 Bournemouth

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What does Valencia actually do in our games at the moment?

He is absolutely non existant attacking wise, and I am no expert for defending, but I am pretty sure he is not really active in helping our CB holding the good line and helping them a lot defensively in general, all he is doing defensively is keeping his opposition winger quiet and mostly because he is quick and strong, not because he is great defensively. I am not really sure that's the only task fullback should do defensviely.

Also, have we ever had worse permanent captain? Does he even try to talk to anyone around him, the referee, players or anyone? What is the point of him being captain, I would rather we give it to someone like de Gea because at least I know it will mean a lot to that player, and it will keep him here longer.

IAmAWinner

I know a lot of people would like to replace Valencia, which is fair enough. I also think he doesn't offer much in attack, even though he has scored 2 great goals.
But who should we get? Are there some quality right backs potentially on the market? Walker and Aurier both moved this summer. Semedo is fantastic, but he is also gone. I can't think of many right backs atm.

West Brom 1:2 Man Utd

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Great defensively. Slows everything down in attack by continually dallying on the ball with his indecisiveness. Such a shame as he can still beat people with pace.

I wouldn’t say he’s great defensively. He’s solid enough, but offers absoubtly nothing going forward - he’s very lucky to be still at the club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hammy just before the festive period. Perfect.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Hope it's nothing serious but we've luckily got replacements who are more than capable of filling in for him.

Santos J

Shame that. Hopefully Young & Shaw are first choice RB/LB while he's out.

Minimalist

His lack of competition for the RB spot comes under even more scrutiny now.

Traub

He really did need a bit of a break though. Hopefully it's only a couple of weeks, and he'll be back for the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.