Antonio Valencia is the laziest full back in the league

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I agree with the op, I think he would be much better if we used him as an post-orthodox inverted libero instead.

Morpheus 7

This might be the strangest thread this season. Toni V is a machine, he's the opposite of lazy. Close this thread, rubbish!

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
The man doesn't ever make a run unless he's 100% certain he'll be passed the ball out there. There's so much space to be occupied out on the wing, yet he he's so reluctant to push up afraid of having to chase back. When play is down that wing, he doesn't make an off ball run to create options. Just cramps up the entire pitch.

He was the best winger in the league for a few years. Teams should be terrified of him, but his lack of off ball effort blunts the potential for carnage out there. Far less talented full backs, seem to be more effective in the final third because of their willingness to run.

A bit inflammatory but let's discuss.
Errrr what?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
José said before the Chelsea game that Valencia has a "small problem" and that "he can't play every game". So in addition to Tony V being our most hard-working player, he might be carrying an injury.

Denis79

Haha I want to see the numbers of each of our players meters / game average. I got a feeling Valencia is very close to the top..

klayton88

DDG and most keepers for that matter are proper lazy, barely leave the area for 90 straight mins and nothing is said but you wanna have a go at Tony V? Ok mate.

RedDevil@84

Next is a thread on how Herrera is a sh***y midfielder and does not love the club.

Ashley R1+O

Holy moly.. Couldn't this have been discussed in his thread? I've got plenty of bones to pick with Valencia but last night (and the first leg) was clearly tactical to counter the threat of Achempong. Every time Valencia was out of position Achempong was getting in behind like a knife through butter.

Lazy? Most definitely not. Worth visiting in the summer for an upgrade/organic replacement? Definitely.

Tarrou

This is the most wrong thing I've heard since the Mrs falsely accused me of finishing all the Tim Tam's.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
He loves holding up play when we are up against compact teams; I have seen that in other games against similar opp. this season. It helps our Wingers/AM's to escape markers and find space to run in behind their men or if that doesn't work out, he tries to run past them.
Tony doesn't cross that often though anymore, or does it from deep- mobility of players coming in the box plays a big role with that.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The man doesn't ever make a run unless he's 100% certain he'll be passed the ball out there. There's so much space to be occupied out on the wing, yet he he's so reluctant to push up afraid of having to chase back. When play is down that wing, he doesn't make an off ball run to create options. Just cramps up the entire pitch.

He was the best winger in the league for a few years. Teams should be terrified of him, but his lack of off ball effort blunts the potential for carnage out there. Far less talented full backs, seem to be more effective in the final third because of their willingness to run.

You've got skills to write something as creative as that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lazy certainly isn't the best word to describe him.

Oyibo

The worst thing about ridiculous wind up threads like this, is that some journalists will one day quote the OP, and categorise us all in the same light :(

ZAGREB RED

Laughable. The guy is like the Road Runner, up and down the right side the entire game. He has been transformed from a fairly average winger into a top full-back. His speed and strength are missed any time he doesn't play, he must be one of the first names on Mourinho's teams sheet. Been one of United's best and most consistent performers this season.
Is this a serious post ?

KN5

Leave and never come back.

daveoliver91

You can't be serious...
Thread of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:

ijc

What? He covers the entire right wing on his own.

Please lock this thread!

buckooo1978

Valencia told to stay back? Highly doubt that myself.
just a couple of times I remember him being 20/30 yards behind the play.....

found that strange for him

maybe alternating who attacked at points with Shaw