2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FujiVice

I cant imagine any club wanting him or any coach who comes into United wanting to put up with the weasel. Just a horrendous professional and the worst signing in Premier League history.

Apokalips

I’d like to give him another season under new structure.

1. He has been successful in all the seasons to date in his career so must be good.

2. He has a good last season.

3. He has been handicapped by our horrible structure and bad facilities.

4. He had to deal with off-field issues

5. We know that our structure incompetence made EtH do transfers against his wishes. I am sure that Antony also probably noticed something like how incompetent is lawn moving in Carrington and took it upon himself.

6. We have sold many wingers after Fergie - Di Maria, Depay, we are selling Sancho etc - it did not bring us anything. Cannot people see that it is not the wingers that are the problem? We need to break the circus of buying and immediately knee-jerk selling wingers.

7. it is too expensive anyway because of FFP.

8. There is no obvious replacement. If brexit ineos buy some overpriced English winger from Crystal Palace I would rather stick to Antony. At least he is Brazilian

9. Our entire back line was injured all the season. If you think it does not affect Antony’s dribbling, decision making, shooting and other abilities - you are deluding yourself

10. If we sell him for pennies to Bayern who will undoubtedly see him as a worthy heir of Robben, we will look stupid in a couple of years when he is contending for Ballon’d’Or
:lol: I've said numerous times, people apply a weird logic to Manchester United managers and the managerial situation that would never get applied to players or even any other clubs managers.

statpadder

If someone says looks aren’t important, show them the difference in this thread vs Varanes.

One is a player who tries to give his all and has no support. Plays at LB when the manager demands. Tries to work his ass off in a disjointed attack. Is still hated by most.

On the flip side, we have a defender who’s been a symbol of one of the worst times for Utd. Was rarely fit. Gave all his best years to another club. The highlight of his time at Utd is “officially complaining” about fixtures list/added time.

And is leaving on a free without giving a penny to the club for reinvestment. You just can’t make this up.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If someone says looks aren’t important, show them the difference in this thread vs Varanes.

One is a player who tries to give his all and has no support. Plays at LB when the manager demands. Tries to work his ass off in a disjointed attack. Is still hated by most.

On the flip side, we have a defender who’s been a symbol of one of the worst times for Utd. Was rarely fit. Gave all his best years to another club. The highlight of his time at Utd is “officially complaining” about fixtures list/added time.

And is leaving on a free without giving a penny to the club for reinvestment. You just can’t make this up.
I have never disagreed with every point in a post so strongly ever.

LDUred

Look, he's had a very disappointing season and his performances and stats bear that out.

But some of the criticism does go way over the top sometimes, like ridiculously. Take the clip of him coming on as a sub.

Someone getting themselves revved up to play is actually a sign of professionalism and totally normal, but it is being interpreted as this crass display of arrogance (not forgetting that he did recently come on against Liverpool and scored a goal). What's he supposed to do there? Look disinterested? He'd get criticised for that, too.

It may just be that the reason why he's not performing is because he is the subject of every second TikTok video you look at. Imagine having everything you do picked up on by weirdoes who for some reason have a personal agenda against you. Even that back pass (which in my view was a perfectly legitimate and commendable piece of skill) was being torn to shreads.

In my view, he's a decent even good player who we clearly overpaid for who is being absolutely destroyed week in week out on social media by professional lowlifes. But with a bit of support, he could do a good job for us.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I kind of get the point of this post but it's more about how player's conduct themselves. I do think our fanbase has a real blindness to a big name who is PR savvy i.e. Cavani or Schweinsteiger but Varane from what I can see always gave 100%. I don't dislike Phil Jones for his injury troubles and I don't dislike Varane for his, but at least the club is learning and not renewing.

Ace

I get we want to move away from a recruitment policy that is basically run by the manager, but the fact that ETH rated him so highly after having coached him is absolutely bemusing. He seems to be a very poor judge of talent / player suitability.
As bad as he is as a coach, he’s been even worse at the identification of players. Every single signing has been a complete failure.

Nicoteiro

Just a few more pages of people just being pure haters. Keep going.

Antony is exactly the type of footballers we need. Technical, press resistant and excellent work rate.

Fans here just want individual players and are stat obsessed. That imo is the biggest issue with United and rubs off on the players. Look at how unselfish Garnacho was when he came on the scene to what he did in the last game.

Learn how modern football is played guys. Its not about physicality and running past your man.

In fact it's hard to understand how Antony is not among the PL player of the season nominees.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Yeah, that's the best we can hope for him. It'll be loans for the next 3 years with us paying a portion of his wages and then he'll leave on a free in 2027. Or we pay off his contract to get him of the books. Can't see any other possibility.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Look, he's had a very disappointing season and his performances and stats bear that out.

But some of the criticism does go way over the top sometimes, like ridiculously. Take the clip of him coming on as a sub.

Someone getting themselves revved up to play is actually a sign of professionalism and totally normal, but it is being interpreted as this crass display of arrogance (not forgetting that he did recently come on against Liverpool and scored a goal). What's he supposed to do there? Look disinterested? He'd get criticised for that, too.

It may just be that the reason why he's not performing is because he is the subject of every second TikTok video you look at. Imagine having everything you do picked up on by weirdoes who for some reason have a personal agenda against you. Even that back pass (which in my view was a perfectly legitimate and commendable piece of skill) was being torn to shreads.

In my view, he's a decent even good player who we clearly overpaid for who is being absolutely destroyed week in week out on social media by professional lowlifes. But with a bit of support, he could do a good job for us.
Normally I would have agreed with you. However, Antony is making everything he can to be a disliked individual and frankly I have no sympathy for him.
One thing I do want to mention is (contrary to someone like Sancho) him failing at United is more on a club than Antony, because we shouldn't have signed him in the first place even for 25m. Like mentioned above, too many red flags.

BorisManUtd

Yeah, that's the best we can hope for him. It'll be loans for the next 3 years with us paying a portion of his wages and then he'll leave on a free in 2027. Or we pay off his contract to get him of the books. Can't see any other possibility.
Yeah it'll probably go similar to how it went with Arsenal and Nicolas Pepe. Few loans before they teriminated his contract last year.

Mike Smalling

Not even sure about loaning him out, if all we get for it is a portion of his salary paid. Might actually be better to have him for squad depth, depending on what we manage to bring in over the summer.

Piskin

Needs to be sold on whatever the cost. He is simply no where good enough.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
He's not really good enough but he definitely isn't as poor as he's made out on here imo
Yep. In a functioning team he'd be a perfectly amicable squad player that we'd be able to sell at a much higher value than he is now.

NZT-One

Not even sure about loaning him out, if all we get for it is a portion of his salary paid. Might actually be better to have him for squad depth, depending on what we manage to bring in over the summer.
I agree here. I understand the frustration from some on here but as long as we don't get anything in exchange for him, I don't see the benefit of letting him go. Not like there are so many options around. I was against bringing in him back then, but he is here now so we should try to make use of him. Not like he alternatives to him have set the world alight either.

Bondi77

I have to say I agree with you....but only on the stuff about Varane.

AjaxNL

For some reason.. Really?

Skills

Snitch

1. He has been successful in all the seasons to date in his career so must be good.

5. We know that our structure incompetence made EtH do transfers against his wishes. I am sure that Antony also probably noticed something like how incompetent is lawn moving in Carrington and took it upon himself.

6. We have sold many wingers after Fergie - Di Maria, Depay, we are selling Sancho etc - it did not bring us anything. Cannot people see that it is not the wingers that are the problem? We need to break the circus of buying and immediately knee-jerk selling wingers.

8. There is no obvious replacement. If brexit ineos buy some overpriced English winger from Crystal Palace I would rather stick to Antony. At least he is Brazilian

9. Our entire back line was injured all the season. If you think it does not affect Antony’s dribbling, decision making, shooting and other abilities - you are deluding yourself

10. If we sell him for pennies to Bayern who will undoubtedly see him as a worthy heir of Robben, we will look stupid in a couple of years when he is contending for Ballon’d’Or
:lol:

LDUred

For some reason.. Really?
No, I don't subscribe to the idea that footballers who have been underperforming should be ridiculed constantly and have everything they do, like coming on as a sub, exaggerated.

Next year, Anthony might recapture some form. There's no need to rip players to shreads just because they've had a poor season.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

No, I don't subscribe to the idea that footballers who have been underperforming should be ridiculed constantly and have everything they do, like coming on as a sub, exaggerated.

Next year, Anthony might recapture some form. There's no need to rip players to shreads just because they've had a poor season.
He doesnt seem like a great person either, didnt he get accused by like three girls for losing his temper and hitting them?

AjaxNL

I'm not talking about his form. I'm talking about his on and off the field antics. You have to see why his own behaviour gets him singled out for scrutiny by fans and media, right?

I couldn't stand the guy at Ajax, and for us at least he was pretty good.

Cloud7

:lol:

Quality

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That's your highlight and it's a crazy one to focus one.

mikeyt

If we'd paid £25million for him I'd agree. It's also not his fault we paid what we did, but this is where we are. It's 100% down to the club and ETH, Antony is a limited footballer that will probably end up at a decent French or German side. The stick he gets is because of his contribution vs fee. He'll never get away from that while he's here.

For what it's worth I think he works hard when he's on the pitch and seems like someone who has a bit of fight in him, more than a number of players in the squad.

Superwoofer

He really isn't a bad player at all, could be a decent squad player. Not his fault we overpaid.

E-mal

He is an average footballer with no stand out quality and I personally think he is not a good human especially with the way he has taken the opportunity to challenge and ridicule ETH.

The glaring evidence of his averageness where his stats in a very average league. Man was struggling with goals in the dutch league, what do we expect will happen in EPL. His overall game in the champions League matches I watched was basic and wouldn't bother a decent EPL defender.

We cannot pay squad players of his quality 200k per week, hence we must sell.
My advice will be loan to a different league and subsequently sell if we don't have an offer this summer