2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ForFuchsSake

Such a waste of money. Hopefully, he’ll be displaced by Amad once he returns. Not that I have high hopes for him even. So many young talents come and go after showing early promise. Antony just isn’t the guy.

Stadjer

Arrogant and lacks teamwork. He has the diva behaviour, but not the performance.
I dont think he is a diva? He might have the look or look arrogant but he doesnt play like a diva. He works hard and tracks back the time. That isnt what i associate with a diva.

Diva's are usually talented lazy players. I dont think anyone has ever described Antony as talented and lazy.

SoCross

Guess being in the Brazilian NT doesn’t mean much these days I guess.

KD6-3.7

We’ve spent a ridiculous amount of money on players this last decade but something about spending so much on a player like Antony is embarrassing.

He offers nothing, and we’ll be stuck with him for years especially if he is on high wages.

Lyng

We sold Elanga because he wasnt good enough, and then we got in someone who might turn out even worse....

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We sold Elanga because he wasnt good enough, and then we got in someone who might turn out even worse....
Elanga has 1 goal and 3 assists in 385mins this season. That means in 3 starts and 4.3 games played, he has more assists than Antony since he joined us last season.

Son

Such a waste of money. Hopefully, he’ll be displaced by Amad once he returns. Not that I have high hopes for him even. So many young talents come and go after showing early promise. Antony just isn’t the guy.
I still cannot believe how many of our young players get injured so easily. Amad, Mainoo, malacia even.

All needed to kick on and yet every single one of them got injured when we needed them most.

red_de_pologne

We’ve spent a ridiculous amount of money on players this last decade but something about spending so much on a player like Antony is embarrassing.

He offers nothing, and we’ll be stuck with him for years especially if he is on high wages.
apparently he was on 20k at Ajax and went straight to 200k here. Mad. Like he wouldn't accept 90?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Guess being in the Brazilian NT doesn’t mean much these days I guess.
Antony is repetitively drilled for the same failings on here when it should already be clear he is heavily dependent on his full-back overlapping. Brazil cater to his game in a manner we don't, ironically enough given the man who knows him better than anyone isn't catering to his game.

It's been discussed here in detail by a number of posters on a number of occasions that he simply lacks the base attributes to thrive as an individual. Lacks: pace, power, ability to pass accurately when running at full speed, so unless his team is massively in control of the game, he struggles because he can't do much as an individual in a position where you're most expected to do things as an individual and bring others into the game - decent wingers drive up the pitch as an outlet ball or outright ball carrier and then do something beneficial to the team with their next action. Antony struggles to do this because he can't pass at pace and doesn't have the strength to tussle nor the top speed to break free, so what are you left with?

It's been a real shambles how we've used him. He's a limited player and that has not been catered for. If we intend to isolate the winger, we should have gone for a proper winger/wing-forward rather than the playmaker type.

We're paying the price for the squad composition. A bunch of parts that don't fit together.

Kramer

Antony is repetitively drilled for the same failings on here when it should already be clear he is heavily dependent on his full-back overlapping. Brazil cater to his game in a manner we don't, ironically enough given the man who knows him better than anyone isn't catering to his game.

It's been discussed here in detail by a number of posters on a number of occasions that he simply lacks the base attributes to thrive as an individual. Lacks: pace, power, ability to pass accurately when running at full speed, so unless his team is massively in control of the game, he struggles because he can't do much as an individual in a position where you're most expected to do things as an individual and bring others into the game - decent wingers drive up the pitch as an outlet ball or outright ball carrier and then do something beneficial to the team with their next action. Antony struggles to do this because he can't pass at pace and doesn't have the strength to tussle nor the top speed to break free, so what are you left with?

It's been a real shambles how we've used him. He's a limited player and that has not been catered for. If we intend to isolate the winger, we should have gone for a proper winger/wing-forward rather than the playmaker type.

We're paying the price for the squad composition. A bunch of parts that don't fit together.
This is a good post but he has still under performed at the things he’s expected to do well.

1) Crossing the ball
2) Shooting

Also he has played with Dalot at RB as well who does go forward. But he doesn’t utilize him as well as he should.

Rossa

In a way you are right, but then he does the most inexplicable things that have nothing to do with his physical attributes or technical abilities.

For instance, in one match he received a clearance way in on our half, and he sprinted with the ball, outsprinted their players with ease and drove deep into their half. Instead of trusting his pace, which he looked to have plenty of in that run, he started to doubt himself and after some deliberation, he made a weak pass to Rashford, I believe it was, and the counter attack ebbed out.

In another match, he dribbled past his defender, left him sprawling on the floor with 30-40 yards to run into, but instead he turned back around again and was tackled by the defender lying on the floor.

I mean, neither of these examples show any lack of pace or dribbling. He can get past his defender. He can outsprint them, but he starts to think, which reduces his top speed and defenders catch up, or he turns around for absolutely no reason.

His acceleration is actually really good, top speed is fine. It's his decision making that is his biggest drawback. He starts thinking and then everything just slows down. You don't have time for that in the PL.

Matt851

He was slightly better, but nowhere near Sancho in his Dortmund days.

Look at Antony clips from Ajax and can you really tell a difference to what he's doing now? I can't, not really. He's doing the same things in non functional team and against tougher opposition, so he looks worse. But it's the same player who was at Ajax, what makes this transfer look even worse and in any corporation heads would roll for spending that fee for such a limited player.

This is nothing like Sancho situation though (which is entirely on the player).
Hilarious we saw the Antony transfer and decided to continue to back eth in signing his targets this summer

big_jeffstar

It doesn’t matter who we buy, wingers can do only do so much if the fullbacks never overlap or underlap, two weeks ago Mount was screaming at Dalot to overlap, and he still only did it once.. remember Mourinho saying he had to coach Shaw through an entire game? .. Wan Bissaka is more defensive minded too, we just don’t have players who help their wingers.. too many individuals who don’t seem to understand how to create space

Lyng

It doesn’t matter who we buy, wingers can do only do so much if the fullbacks never overlap or underlap, two weeks ago Mount was screaming at Dalot to overlap, and he still only did it once.. remember Mourinho saying he had to coach Shaw through an entire game? .. Wan Bissaka is more defensive minded too, we just don’t have players who help their wingers.. too many individuals who don’t seem to understand how to create space
While that is absolutely true, there is another issue. Antony doesnt pass to an overlap. We have seen AwB do some overlapping runs but Antony very rarely if ever chooses to take that pass, instead he steps on the ball and tries to go central, making it way to easy to stop him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Aren't out fullbacks told to tuck in into midfield and support lone #6? At least that's how I understand the setup this season. So I feel it's kind of unfair to expect them to overlap frequently as well?

Kingslayer18

i think we've seen enough to confirm that he's a bust. At the price and wages that went into the transfer, heads need to roll. We can't pay 85m for a winger who is going to track back, hold width and retain possession. If those are the attributes ETH was looking for, we could've bought a winger for 20-30m that would fulfill that role. The failings of the Sancho and Antony transfers demand for heads to roll once Ratcliffe assumes control of recruitment. Murtough can't survive this as they were bought on his watch. Also, ETH is culpable for this transfer mistake, this goes to show that having no strong recruitmend head is costing us, as someone should've put the foot down at the price Ajax was asking and bought Gakpo or another winger instead. ETH can't have his own way with transfers, even as much as Martinez did well in his first season, we can't say for certain that another coach would have him as first choice as a CB. I think all of ETH's recruits have question marks over them, he's shown that he's no DoF and he can't play both roles at a massive club like ours. He fulfilled both roles at his first clubs and now assumes that he can do that successfully, result show he can't!

We're stuck with Antony unless Saudi Arabia comes in and saves us. It is up to Amad to take that role now, Sancho will be loaned/sold in Jan and Antony should be relegated to the bench. Big transfer mistakes like this continue to derail us in our team rebuild.

Red00012

Starting to wonder what ETH saw at Ajax considering his right foot is for standing only

SoCross

Lovely post and agree with you. But like @Rossa said, there’s been so many times he’s beaten his man but then he stops and slows the game down/looks to come inside or pass back. Maybe if he gets used to Hojlund, this will change but clearly we need a player with his price tag and our first choice right winger to be doing more.
Hopefully he can adapt his game a bit more but signs are not promising.

Eric_the_Red99

Aren't out fullbacks told to tuck in into midfield and support lone #6? At least that's how I understand the setup this season. So I feel it's kind of unfair to expect them to overlap frequently as well?
Quite often under ETH our fullbacks have been our most advanced attacking players, but in a central position rather than overlapping. Lindelof was making runs into the box against Sheffield Utd, which is obviously ridiculous. But that said, the winning goal did come from Lindelof squaring the ball to Dalot…

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Murtough and Arnold should be sacked for this transfer. Erik did insisted on him but they, as his bosses, made a final call.

And the thing which annoys me the most in his game; when he gets the ball, he spends few seconds on some crossovers and tricks like he will try to beat a player and then he just passes the ball back. Every single time. Why bother? You know that you will not go in that dribble, defender knows, teammates know and fans know.

I give him one thing; guy learned some (useless) tricks and made a career based on that. That was smart thing to sell himself as a player who he is not.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I dont think he is a diva? He might have the look or look arrogant but he doesnt play like a diva. He works hard and tracks back the time. That isnt what i associate with a diva.

Diva's are usually talented lazy players. I dont think anyone has ever described Antony as talented and lazy.
He's arrogant and thinks nobody has the authority to tell him anything and will become salty with any of his team mates, with the exception of ETH and his staff.

And when he has the ball his decision making is totally affected by his will to show skills/runs/etc. I give him credit for his defensive contribution, which is actually much better than his attacking contribution curiously, but unless he starts playing like an 80M player by either scoring or creating, we need to start to think about the elephant in the room.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Our ability to spend huge sums on limited/crap players is remarkable!

Newtonius

TH is obviously too stubborn to admit defeat but would be very surprised if he isn't a RB under the next manager.

RedStarUnited

Starting to wonder what ETH saw at Ajax considering his right foot is for standing only
Its honestly borderline insanity that ETH sanctioned this move. It shows the selfishness of managers like him because im sure he just said “F it, its not my money”