2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mk7

I will no longer comment on his performances as I do not expect much and the bar is very quite low for him. The best things for the club are to move both him and Sancho on, try and get some comp for Rashford and a dangerous left wing forward who can run at players, cause havoc but also pass and score. Apparently when scouting, the United scouts had put a 25-30m valuation on Antony (Neville saying this on TV now)
Was not mentioned in the Athletic article that ETH would not have bought him if he knew how much we were willing to pay for him?

Valencia Shin Crosses

He isn't, no. But when you have a player in Amad who naturally wants to play 1-2s, has smart off the ball movement which helps with the interchanging plays, I think he could bring that out in Antony. Garnacho, too, if he drifted over to the left.
Amad's perfect partner would be a fitter/younger Martial. Those two would link up beautifully as both have the brain and technique for it.

Robbie Boy

Elite might be too strong of an adjective but late 2017 to early 2018 Lingard would be objectively our best, most in-form player now alongside Garnacho and Mainoo.
He had a purple patch, that was it. Apart from that, he regularly went through patches of looking absolutely woeful and contributing nothing other than "workrate".

nazanto

The largest heists in history is the Great Train Robbery, which occurred in England in 1963. But in 30 August 2022, Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax managed to rob Manchester United £82 million for Antony Matheus dos Santos is by far more scandalous than the Great Train Robbery.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There have been many big money flops - some young like Dembele, Felix and even our very own Sancho but there was at least some rationale and hype behind the transfers.

More experienced flops like Coutinho and an older Hazard at least had a body of work that made such transfers understandable.

Antony pound for pound be the worst transfer in history. I don't think there was any evidence that he was worth or could be worth as much as we paid for him.
Yep. People citing Sancho as an all time bad transfer but it's perfectly defensible. We paid a big fee but not earth shattering for the highest rated young winger in the world that was hitting historical levels of production as a teenager in the BL.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Amad's perfect partner would be a fitter/younger Martial. Those two would link up beautifully as both have the brain and technique for it.
Dude, that would've been awesome. I completely agree. I've said it before but he would've been perfect as the 10 back when the MMM trio were on fire.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I see a lot of people suggesting this. Antony works hard but I don't think he's good enough defensively to be, well, a defender! Plus he's not good at carrying the ball down the wings, crossing, or anything you'd want from a full/wing back, really.

At least with Young and Valencia they had attributes in which it made sense to convert them.
But he is not good enough to be our attacking winger and we need to make good use of our 100m investment.... I think he works hard and good at progressive run or something. So it might still works, I don't know.

eire-red

Reminds me of Pepe, an astronomical failure of a transfer. There's no chance we manage to recoup even a third of the fee, think we should look to loan him.

soapythecat

Genuinely, is he the worst, regular starter, player in the PL this season? Must be. He is horrific and the more he plays, the more ETH deserves the sack. Does nothing defensively, does nothing in attack and looks like the biggest smug cnut in NATO. Would love to give him a slap.

cj_sparky

He is woeful, you get the feeling he is never going to deliver the goals, assists and creation of chances that is needed. He also slows everything down so much.

Robbie Boy

Reminds me of Pepe, an astronomical failure of a transfer. There's no chance we manage to recoup even a third of the fee, think we should look to loan him.
Pepe was an atrocious transfer but Antony definitely trumps him. Pepe actually managed 16 goals and 5 assists in his second season. I would be stunned if Antony ended up at best with 5 goals/assists combined this season.

Biggins

Bizarre player. Was he that bad at Ajax??? His dribbling is below par, no pace, no right foot, can’t cross, slows everything down. He only works hard defensively (in most games) but this is not even sufficient for bottom PL team.

KeanoMagicHat

Pepe was an atrocious transfer but Antony definitely trumps him. Pepe actually managed 16 goals and 5 assists in his second season. I would be stunned if Antony ended up at best with 5 goals/assists combined this season.
Yeah Pepe at least mixed in some very good and decisive games with twice as many bad ones. Antony doesn't even have any good games to show for - 0 goals, 0 assists.

Cela shomana

He watched him every day for 2 years, and thought "yeah i have to have him no matter the price". And people want to still give ETH time :lol:
It says a lot about Ten Hag as a Manager and his football vision, This is why I think a different manager can get the best out of Sancho.

marktan

Bizarre player. Was he that bad at Ajax??? His dribbling is below par, no pace, no right foot, can’t cross, slows everything down. He only works hard defensively (in most games) but this is not even sufficient for bottom PL team.
He was. It's just that the defences in the dutch league are terrible, lots of space for subpar players. 99% of his goals and assists were cutting in and shooting or crossing in acres of space. Almost never dribbled on the outside or took a man on from a standing start.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Lot of hyperbole about him but legitimately, he is the worst player in the league.

I also genuinely, dislike the way he looks too, the way he smiles back towards a teammate every time he fecks up a basic pass.

My opinion and I truly believe this is Antony is either ETH bastard son or he's a dodgy same agency signing/kick back style deal via Ajax.

No reason any professional football person could look at Antony and judge him to be an actual professional level player. It goes to show that for all the experience, stats, tech and research, the industry can still make huge errors like sanctioning giving this human being £200k per week to cosplay a premier league winger.

He's the poster child of this ruinous and bleak chapter in our club.

saik

I tried to support him but he's genuinely useless. Was proper shite today(as he was in most games this season). Even when you get past your defender but then cutback again to just pass the ball back to AWB, you have no business being a winger.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I know it’s not what you want from Antony, but Pochettino has found some success convincing Mudryk to simplify his game (kill the fancy dribble attempts, etc) and use his raw physical skills to make some decent impacts as a sub; especially working hard to press. Antony is without a doubt physically gifted. I’m surprised there isn’t a niche job like that he could perform… test tired legs of an opposing team.

RORY65

Just dreadful, even in his best games he's tidy but ineffectual and those are a rare enough occurrence. People talk about the money spent, which is hugely embarrassing and a real issue for the club, but he would be a total flop even if we'd spent a quarter as much. He's nowhere near good enough at any value.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How someone can decide to spend 100 million euros on player like this? I am not even blaming ETH that much. I blame Arnold and Murtough. It is not monopoly money. In any other job owners would sack you that second for that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I don’t think it’s gonna happen here for him.

Gone backwards if anything.

RedIan

69 games on right wing for United. 3 assists in total.. for a winger.
Another huge waste of money.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's the worst signing in history for anyone and yeah worse than Hazard and Coutinho because they at least showed their worth before their move.
Hazard despite being a massive failure at Madrid, has still had a better G+A ratio than Antony has had at United. Same with Coutinho

Valencia Shin Crosses

I know it’s not what you want from Antony, but Pochettino has found some success convincing Mudryk to simplify his game (kill the fancy dribble attempts, etc) and use his raw physical skills to make some decent impacts as a sub; especially working hard to press. Antony is without a doubt physically gifted. I’m surprised there isn’t a niche job like that he could perform… test tired legs of an opposing team.
I'm not sure you've ever actually watched Antony if you think he's physically gifted. He lacks any sort of burst, doesn't have much pace over longer stretches, and has very poor balance and isn't particularly strong. Mudryk for all of his faults has always been fecking rapid both from a standstill and over longer distances.