Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
The Golden Girls
Love that.

Haven't always given some of these American comedies a chance, but they're often very funny - actually watched Frasier the other day and was surprised how funny it was.

EricaNo7

Love that.

Haven't always given some of these American comedies a chance, but they're often very funny - actually watched Frasier the other day and was surprised how funny it was.
I'm watching GG again, I still find it hilarious. My husband thinks I'm a cross between Rose and Blanche ( although he wont't say which parts ;) )

Frasier is one of all my all time favourites, such clever writing. Did you watch Cheers?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I stopped watching it in November, but need to catch up on the last few episodes.

I thought it started out really well but the last couple of seasons have been poor. The think it peaked at the end of season 2.

With all of the crazy parallel universe stuff and Olivia being trappe on the other side with the Faux Olivia impersonating her.
I think Fringe's best season was number 3, I thought 4 was still pretty good, and though I was a bit disappointed with season 5 (despite some very good episodes), I felt the blame wasn't entirely with the writers: I think they had a great idea for the narrative ark and then were told they could only fit it into 13 episodes to finish it off, so a lot of it seemed a bit rushed. I'm sure it could've been exploited better.

However I have no qualms with the ending, I enjoyed it very much and Fringe is a personal favorite of mine, funny, touching, endearing, mind boggling at time and quite entertaining. And John Noble as Walter Bishop was excellent, really excellent right til the end. I'll definitely miss it.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I'm watching GG again, I still find it hilarious. My husband thinks I'm a cross between Rose and Blanche ( although he wont't say which parts ;) )

Frasier is one of all my all time favourites, such clever writing. Did you watch Cheers?
No - well occasionally caught a glimpse of it, but never sat and watched it.

Friends is the only US sitcom I like - but Gold used to show Soap, which I'd like to buy as what I saw was hilarious. Or was it The Comedy Channel? Billy Crystal was in it.

EricaNo7

No - well occasionally caught a glimpse of it, but never sat and watched it.

Friends is the only US sitcom I like - but Gold used to show Soap, which I'd like to buy as what I saw was hilarious. Or was it The Comedy Channel? Billy Crystal was in it.
I've not seen Soap for years, in fact if forgotten about it. In fact I've started watching Taxi again, Andy Kaufman is hysterical in it

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone watch Braquo? French Mini-series, quite similar to The Shield (if I had to compare it to something that I have seen a bit of) and quite brilliant also!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Following is excellent , only seen one episode though but anything with Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy in is always going to be good in my book
I'm going to watch that once I gather a few episodes. A new one called 'The ****' also looks exciting

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The Following is excellent , only seen one episode though but anything with Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy in is always going to be good in my book
Nice. I was supposed to watch that last night but completely forgot about that. The trailer and the previews looked pretty good and I want a new show to check out.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Going through season 5 of The Shield now, and it sort of feels like everything before it has been building up to this. Very good so far. Strikes a better balance between the main plot and the individual episode storylines than previous seasons - a bit more akin to something like Dexter in that respect.

Kavanaugh's a fantastic character; I'm looking forward to seeing this guy burn. The episode with the Russian sting was quality (although you could see that coming a mile off), and the interrogation scene with Corinne was great too. I'm terrified they're not going to take the stuff with Dutch the way I was hoping it was going to go, but there's time yet.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just finished the first season of The Shield. I'm enjoying it, mainly because of Mackey but the ridiculously simple interrogations that seem like they're trying to be clever are a bit annoying.
Also, how jarring are the opening credits?

Its not really the kind of show I was looking for. Was looking for a Walking Dead/LOST/Breaking Bad type thing. I'll probably keep watching though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finished the end of the second season. Definitely seems to have improved although expected more from

the big money train robbery they'd built up to all season.
The interrogations have got a bit better though. And that slick move from the new guy with the russian roulette was cool as.

LoveInTheAsylum

I tried watching Girls a while back but it [literally] appears to lack a single redeeming feature.

UK tv (whatever FX has been re-branded to, Fox?) started showing Louie a couple of weeks back, I'd recommend the second season as some of the greatest television made. The first season's entertaining enough to get into it. I found the most recent (third) season a real disappointment.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I don't think Girls is a groundbreaking, defines-the-youth-generation show or anything but it can be quite funny and Alison Williams is gorgeous. Zosia Mamet is fun too but if I never see Lena Dunham naked again that will be too soon.

KingEric7

Finished the end of the second season. Definitely seems to have improved although expected more from

the big money train robbery they'd built up to all season.
The interrogations have got a bit better though. And that slick move from the new guy with the russian roulette was cool as.
Story really develops in the later seasons. :)

Must admit, I did expect more of The Shield going by how people had it in their top shows (although it has far exceeded expectations I had prior to recommendations), but it is a really good show that gets better in a lot of ways as it progresses. On the last season now and it's been a good ride.

One massive disappointment (spoiler that applies up to where I'm at in season 7):

They've not gone and made Dutch a serial killer! At least not to the extent that there's been a season dedicated to it (they've dropped hints - his girlfriend, the strangling of the cat, the interview with one of the criminals when he talks about strangling, the significant change in his personality as if he's feeling more confident, perhaps a little empowered, etc - but it would seem completely at odds with his character now for it to go down that route). They've twatted that one up massively in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.

Another gripe is that a lot of the sub-plots in general end quite abruptly and don't really impact the main storyline too heavily (if at all). There is so much of this sort of thing though that I'm guessing it is intentional and only to add to the setting rather than to contribute anything too substantial in any other way. Probably to bulk out episodes a little, too. There are other annoyances aside from these points but the good far outweighs the bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, and feck Cassidy actually. One of the most annoying characters on any show ever. More annoying than Brody's son on Homeland.

LoveInTheAsylum

I don't think Girls is a groundbreaking, defines-the-youth-generation show or anything but it can be quite funny and Alison Williams is gorgeous. Zosia Mamet is fun too but if I never see Lena Dunham naked again that will be too soon.

Ha, that video was pretty spot on. Dunham's nakedness was actually a high point, I liked the don't give a feck attitude. Maybe I caught the wrong episodes for humour as I just couldn't see what its selling point was supposed to be - they were all obnoxious characters yet the whole show seemed to be told through their eyes. The characters might well be similar to people who I've met before, but they are people I've no desire to see more of. Hardly any sort of common experience felt touched upon.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Story really develops in the later seasons. :)

Must admit, I did expect more of The Shield going by how people had it in their top shows (although it has far exceeded expectations I had prior to recommendations), but it is a really good show that gets better in a lot of ways as it progresses. On the last season now and it's been a good ride.

Another gripe is that a lot of the sub-plots in general end quite abruptly and don't really impact the main storyline too heavily (if at all). There is so much of this sort of thing though that I'm guessing it is intentional and only to add to the setting rather than to contribute anything too substantial in any other way. Probably to bulk out episodes a little, too. There are other annoyances aside from these points but the good far outweighs the bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, and feck Cassidy actually. One of the most annoying characters on any show ever. More annoying than Brody's son on Homeland.

The gay guy that keeps pestering Julian is proper annoying.
I agree there seem to be a lot of little cases that don't really go anywhere and only seem to be there to show how 'clever' Dutch is. Sometimes wish we found out how long they get sent down for as well. Also wish Claudette's face wasn't so bloody scary.

I'm about half way through season 3 at the moment. Hoping the Strike Team get more freedom again and can go back to being badass. For all my complaints I keep going back to it. I love it when Mackey sticks it to those against him and I like the clever ways he goes about things.

KingEric7

The gay guy that keeps pestering Julian is proper annoying.
I agree there seem to be a lot of little cases that don't really go anywhere and only seem to be there to show how 'clever' Dutch is. Sometimes wish we found out how long they get sent down for as well. Also wish Claudette's face wasn't so bloody scary.

I'm about half way through season 3 at the moment. Hoping the Strike Team get more freedom again and can go back to being badass. For all my complaints I keep going back to it. I love it when Mackey sticks it to those against him and I like the clever ways he goes about things.
Agreed, Mackey is quality. :D Thought I'd bore of him eventually but his character just doesn't get old.

Just finished watching the last episode now and I genuinely feel beaten all over the place. The last season is seriously exhausting! Won't ruin anything about it but it is very, very worth going through seasons 3 and 4 to get to the later seasons.

Final thoughts for anyone who cares (spoilers... don't quote or open if you've not seen the whole show!!):

Whatever criticisms are to be levelled at the show in terms of certain bits of acting, pointless sub-plots, loose ends, etc... that last season was actually amazing at times. I was a bit concerned after the second series at points that I was going to be left underwhelmed by the end of it, but I am immensely glad I stuck through some of the more dry parts of the program and am sad to see it finish.

The stuff with Shane and Mara was devastating and very well done, in my opinion. I am not sure how the show sucks you into being sympathetic with them whilst at the same time making you love Mackey so much, but it manages it and the tragic ending was some pretty powerful shit. There was one point when the relationship seemed a bit stupid (after the affair with the young girl and the confession regarding Lem's killing) but I was sold by the end.

The conclusion with Ronnie too...that was just fecked up. Can't really say that I rate the actor that plays him too much, but if anyone deserved to get away with everything it was him. I kept thinking throughout the whole thing right up until the very end that there would be some sort of Mackey revelation that would sort everything out, leaving both of them in the clear as partners or as free men. Even when he was sat at his desk at the end I was toying with the idea that it may still happen...somehow.

As for the ending, it could mean anything. I've not yet read up on what was intended by the writers, but you can tell a hell of a lot of thought went into the final episode. It's interesting that the final episode and scenes marked a real deviation from the 'Mackey always wins' theme of the show, with that deviation absolutely shattering his life all at once. There had always been some element of victory previously in terms of preserving family, the strike team, his career, etc...but it's like that was the point whereby the floodgates opened all at once with karma definitively striking. It's good how as the viewer you're left feeling sorry for him in what seems like a bit of an injustice, whilst recognising that perspective as being the only possible one from which you could feel that way. On the face of things, Mackey folded on Ronnie to save himself, he killed a detective, continuously threatened/tried to kill another and his pregnant wife, he was a dirty cop in the streets, etc... yet you are left feeling sorry for someone who despite all of this was a utilitarian for the most part. Minus the killings and torturing, of course. ;)

My personal feeling is that the scene after the ending would've consisted of Mackey's suicide, and that a more lively GTA rampage-type scenario would've been more consistent with the Mackey driven by the idea of preserving his family, strike team and/or job as opposed to the one that the writers left the audience with. The writers completely shattered him by the end of the program and I think that, as depressing as it is, his suicide would've been more fitting and in tandem with his life situation than anything else.

Edit: Saying that, it's not like the family's witness protection is something Vic Mackey would class as out of his reach. Don't know, fantastic finale either way.

KingEric7

Oh yeah, and:

They didn't go all out and make Dutch a serial killer then...:( It was perfectly set up for it at one point and I think his character was perfect for it. They even could've dragged Corrine into it as a victim with the motive being Mackey's constant humiliation of Dutch in The Barn, although that would've completely changed the complexion of the final season given how it panned out between her and Mara/Shane.

Also, Mara towards the end of the show started reminding me more and more of Frodo as he got closer to Mordor. I don't know why.

Castia

Just started watching Parks and Recreation and it's great. There's so many good shows that aren't popular in the UK, why this wasn't picked up by a big channel and promoted is beyond me.

Sally Cinnamon

Just started watching Parks and Recreation and it's great. There's so many good shows that aren't popular in the UK, why this wasn't picked up by a big channel and promoted is beyond me.
I read it's starting on BBC Four soon. RTE (Ireland) show it. Great show, love it.

sparky

I think Fringe's best season was number 3, I thought 4 was still pretty good, and though I was a bit disappointed with season 5 (despite some very good episodes), I felt the blame wasn't entirely with the writers: I think they had a great idea for the narrative ark and then were told they could only fit it into 13 episodes to finish it off, so a lot of it seemed a bit rushed. I'm sure it could've been exploited better.

However I have no qualms with the ending, I enjoyed it very much and Fringe is a personal favorite of mine, funny, touching, endearing, mind boggling at time and quite entertaining. And John Noble as Walter Bishop was excellent, really excellent right til the end. I'll definitely miss it.
I am so sad it has finished, but it was not a show that could continue for more than 5 seasons really. In fact, ending it on Series 4 would have been better. It still left unanswered questions but not as many as Season 5 did. I would have liked a more rounded ending involving more of the characters.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Anyone watch Braquo? French Mini-series, quite similar to The Shield (if I had to compare it to something that I have seen a bit of) and quite brilliant also!
First season was very good, dark police drama but the second season had its writers changed and the quality decreased as a consequence.Still enjoyable

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Agreed, Mackey is quality. :D Thought I'd bore of him eventually but his character just doesn't get old.

Just finished watching the last episode now and I genuinely feel beaten all over the place. The last season is seriously exhausting! Won't ruin anything about it but it is very, very worth going through seasons 3 and 4 to get to the later seasons.

Final thoughts for anyone who cares (spoilers... don't quote or open if you've not seen the whole show!!):

Whatever criticisms are to be levelled at the show in terms of certain bits of acting, pointless sub-plots, loose ends, etc... that last season was actually amazing at times. I was a bit concerned after the second series at points that I was going to be left underwhelmed by the end of it, but I am immensely glad I stuck through some of the more dry parts of the program and am sad to see it finish.

The stuff with Shane and Mara was devastating and very well done, in my opinion. I am not sure how the show sucks you into being sympathetic with them whilst at the same time making you love Mackey so much, but it manages it and the tragic ending was some pretty powerful shit. There was one point when the relationship seemed a bit stupid (after the affair with the young girl and the confession regarding Lem's killing) but I was sold by the end.

The conclusion with Ronnie too...that was just fecked up. Can't really say that I rate the actor that plays him too much, but if anyone deserved to get away with everything it was him. I kept thinking throughout the whole thing right up until the very end that there would be some sort of Mackey revelation that would sort everything out, leaving both of them in the clear as partners or as free men. Even when he was sat at his desk at the end I was toying with the idea that it may still happen...somehow.

As for the ending, it could mean anything. I've not yet read up on what was intended by the writers, but you can tell a hell of a lot of thought went into the final episode. It's interesting that the final episode and scenes marked a real deviation from the 'Mackey always wins' theme of the show, with that deviation absolutely shattering his life all at once. There had always been some element of victory previously in terms of preserving family, the strike team, his career, etc...but it's like that was the point whereby the floodgates opened all at once with karma definitively striking. It's good how as the viewer you're left feeling sorry for him in what seems like a bit of an injustice, whilst recognising that perspective as being the only possible one from which you could feel that way. On the face of things, Mackey folded on Ronnie to save himself, he killed a detective, continuously threatened/tried to kill another and his pregnant wife, he was a dirty cop in the streets, etc... yet you are left feeling sorry for someone who despite all of this was a utilitarian for the most part. Minus the killings and torturing, of course. ;)

My personal feeling is that the scene after the ending would've consisted of Mackey's suicide, and that a more lively GTA rampage-type scenario would've been more consistent with the Mackey driven by the idea of preserving his family, strike team and/or job as opposed to the one that the writers left the audience with. The writers completely shattered him by the end of the program and I think that, as depressing as it is, his suicide would've been more fitting and in tandem with his life situation than anything else.

Edit: Saying that, it's not like the family's witness protection is something Vic Mackey would class as out of his reach. Don't know, fantastic finale either way.
Agree with most of that although
I never liked Mackey I must say. Not as a character or as a person. Obviously the show couldn't have existed without him but he just constantly annoyed me. Those long, lingering shots of Mackey squeezing out those hard-earned tears...they just didn't work. And that was all down to him being a limited actor rather than poor directing/camera work, in my view.

They handled the Mara-Shane thing much better than I'd expected and their scenes of despair really did hold a lot of power. Aceveda's character development was actually the most pronounced by the end of it so fair play, couldn't see why they dragged out his story for so long despite the political aspects clearly not being one of the writers' strong points and the numerous suggestions that he was going to be killed off but in the end it was all worth it.

Though rather than the final season being fantastic I'd narrow it down to the 3-episode finale. The 3-episode finale's in the first and last season stood a long way above anything else I can remember.

KingEric7

Agree with most of that although
I never liked Mackey I must say. Not as a character or as a person. Obviously the show couldn't have existed without him but he just constantly annoyed me. Those long, lingering shots of Mackey squeezing out those hard-earned tears...they just didn't work. And that was all down to him being a limited actor rather than poor directing/camera work, in my view.

They handled the Mara-Shane thing much better than I'd expected and their scenes of despair really did hold a lot of power. Aceveda's character development was actually the most pronounced by the end of it so fair play, couldn't see why they dragged out his story for so long despite the political aspects clearly not being one of the writers' strong points and the numerous suggestions that he was going to be killed off but in the end it was all worth it.

Though rather than the final season being fantastic I'd narrow it down to the 3-episode finale. The 3-episode finale's in the first and last season stood a long way above anything else I can remember.
Fair enough on Mackey. Agree that some of the scenes with him being a bit weapy throughout didn't suit him as an actor, but at the same time I think he pulled off scenes like the:

immunity confession

...remarkably well. His whole character is almost completely implausible on the face of things but he's just one of those characters that I took for what he was and thoroughly enjoyed as a result. Those last few episodes were absolutely amazing like you say and the whole thing is worth watching if only to get to that point. I'm preying that Dexter ends as well as The Shield does but I don't hold hope that it will. The Shield managed to provide conclusions or satisfactory endings to multiple characters/plots all at once, where as in Dexter you're only really arsed about how it will finish with Deborah and Dexter.

I keep drawing the comparison between these two because I feel like they're in a more similar league as opposed to many who feel that The Shield is up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. For the most part Dexter strikes a better balance between plot and individual cases than The Shield does (up until the last few seasons) and Dexter himself is a more intriguing and complex character than Vic, although I find you become a lot more arsed about/engaged with the rest of the cast and the setting on The Shield. I'm too busy being pissed off with how incompetent, bland or annoying most of the characters and their plots are on Dexter to become bothered with their situation, and the exponentially worsening dialogue after series 4 doesn't help.

Edit:

Agree also on the political campaign with Acevada - there wasn't much to that. It consisted mostly of him folding under the pressure of Mackey's threats and not much else to be honest, and was pretty underwhelming and bland when lined up against Carcetti's campaign from The Wire. That was just an absolute masterpiece in all fairness though so it's probably a harsh comparison.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Right enough, that scene was gut-wrenching. By far one of the most tense moments in the show and he played his part in that.
I thought the way he ended up admitting to his sins seemed a little manufactured, it was just too convenient, but they made it work

I'd agree with comparing it to Dexter and I think it comes out on top there, though I've given up on that by now so perhaps it'll redeem itself entirely. Couldn't be bothered watching the most recent season at all.

kps88

The actor who played Ronnie had to have won some sort of contest.

KingEric7

Right enough, that scene was gut-wrenching. By far one of the most tense moments in the show and he played his part in that.
I thought the way he ended up admitting to his sins seemed a little manufactured, it was just too convenient, but they made it work

I'd agree with comparing it to Dexter and I think it comes out on top there, though I've given up on that by now so perhaps it'll redeem itself entirely. Couldn't be bothered watching the most recent season at all.
It's a shame what's happened with Dexter. I still find it entertaining just on account of the premise of the show and the more recent turn it's taken, but I watched a couple of episodes from the first season a bit ago and the difference in quality is actually staggering. Even aside from the dialogue, the storylines and the characters, a lot of the original humour and novelty is gone too now given how much better adapted Dexter is to living as a 'normal' person. Shame.

The actor who played Ronnie had to have won some sort of contest.
Yeah, was quite surprised

to see how main he became by the end of the story. Nevertheless, I was taken in by that part of the story as well and thought his ending was devastating. He was the one guy that stuck with Mackey in absolutely everything he did and followed suit entirely. I'm guessing the writers wanted to show that Mackey is a timebomb and that being around him can only ever lead down the shitter no matter how careful/loyal you are. He stayed with him for the longest out of any of the characters and arguably suffered the worst fate.

Same applies to Lem, I'd say - not that great an actor. Definitely think the strike team far exceeds the sum of its parts, though. It's such a 'cool' show in so many respects.

On another note, I watched the first episode of Deadwood tonight and was seriously impressed by the pilot. Absorbing stuff and it's probably the only pilot I've watched twice in quick succession (I genuinely didn't have a clue what they were saying half the time first time round - made a huge mistake in dividing attention between that and doing other stuff!). My first impression is that that this could go on to be one of the very best shows I've seen, but I'm terrified of how short it is and that it's going to leave a permanent Breaking Bad-type void in my life. :nervous:

Sally Cinnamon

Can't believe how good Love/Hate is.

Irish gangster drama based in Dublin, I'm sure all the Irish have seen it. I wasn't expecting it to be that great despite the praise but it's brilliant. Definitely recommend it. You can obtain it from TPB.

wr8_utd

:'(

I know the gun scene makes it look like he intended to commit suicide but I just can't see Mackey killing himself. It's just not like him. I'd like to think he was out hunting down criminals etc in his free time after work.