Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Roosney

I watched that one.

These ones are fairly recent, as in last 2, possibly 3, years. After a certain length of time, shows tend to disappear from
Walter, though it can vary. The following Walter shows are all B+ to A (The Wire, West Wing, Sopranos, Narcos, Borgen, Spiral etc would be A+)

The Hunter (A, about the prosecutors hunting mafia crime bosses), several seasons, all good

Faking Hitler (B+, about the fictitious Hitler Diaries) - based on a true story, light

Four Strangers (not sure if B+ or A-) - think it is not going to be available to watch for much longer as it's on the leaving soon list

When The Dust Settles (A-)

The Twelve (A, about a Belgian jury panel during a trial) - might be my top recommendation as it offers a different perspective to most TV

The Defence (B+, Polish charismatic, alcoholic, female lawyer Chilka and her assistant), several seasons. I like it so watched all available.

Don't Leave Me (B) - shows a different side to Venice, plot feels slightly unsatisfactory, suppose that's true of most tv drama.

Astrid (Murder in Paris) - Young woman with Asbergers (or similar) works in Criminal documents department, solves crimes in partnership with female detective. Different to the Bridge (Swedish) but similar in that the best element is the relationship between Saga/Martin (Bridge) and Astrid/Raphaelle.

All The Sins (B+) - detectives try to uncover the truth in somewhat disturbing religious community in northern Finland. Several seasons.

The Truth Will Out - from memory season 1 (B+), is better than season 2, (B-) detective handed team consisting of misfits, makes use of their individual talents to solve case

Stockholm Requiem (B, possibly B+, can't recall) - decent

Code 37 Sex Crimes (B+) is different to your typical detective series. Belgian series solving sex crimes. Fairly light. Several seasons. Enjoyed it enough to watch all.

Rebecka Martinsson Arctic Crimes has spectacular scenery. Preferred the original actress

Gold Diggers (B+, Russian series) - I find that I tend to learn something from my first or second say Russian/Polish/Chilean series, compared to 80th french, 25th Swedish etc

Red Light is good but subject matter I found depressing/bleak. Focuses on 3 women: female detective, prostitute and wife.

Deutschland 83/86/89 (A-) - light but very enjoyable

The Team series 1 (A-) is good but series 2 is at best average (B-), possibly worse than that (C), A bit like Interpol, one Belgian, one Danish, one German detective work together

Rest of shows I've watched that are currently available on UK Walter with approx rating: The Wall (C), Top Dog (B), Spiral of Lies (B-), Grow (B), A Familiar Stranger (B), The Adulterer (B+ female star is gorgeous, perhaps a B rating if you don't find her so hot), Snow Angels (B it's good but subject matter is bleak), Vanished By The Lake and others in the By The Lake series (B), Nordic Murders (B with original actress, C after she left, though I gave up within a few episodes after the change), Monster (B- struggling to remember this one), Arctic Circle (B), Outlier (B-, maybe C), Box 21 (B- though again struggling to recall it), Mountain Rescue (C), Witch Hunt (B), Partisan (B to B- not sure), Disturbing Disappearances (B-), Inspector Lobosco (B, light), Time is a Killer (C), The Crimson Rivers (B to B+), The Wagner Method (B-), Torn (C), Redemption (B-), Dark Rivers (B), Dark Woods (B), Floodland (B), Blackout (B), Inner Circle (B, possibly B+, political drama), Mobile 101 (B), Sacha (B, another bleak subject), Sisterhood (B-), Sins of the Fathers (B), Angel of Death (B-, didn't fancy watching 2nd season), The Pleasure Principle (B), The Blood Pact (B-, think I lost interest after watching first 2 series), Actor (B, worth considering if want something different), Exterior Night (B+, another that stands out from most modern TV), Inside (B), Mafia Only Kills In Summer (B+ light)

Not sure if these older ones (B+ to A rating) are still available (can't see them on the UK version of Walter, other countries that have Walter typically have a slightly different set of shows): Bad Banks (1 + 2), The Cleaning Lady (cleans up crime scenes paid by criminal gang), Fugitives (spectacular Chilean series), Black Widow (dutch female crime boss). Best ever Walter series was Magnifica 70 season 1 but season 2 was rubbish. Blue Eyes, Spin, Locked Up, the Border, Mafiosa (female crime boss), the Outlaws (original Belgian dark comedy, since remade by Apple as the Sisters), Professor T (Belgian version, since remade by ITV but not watched that version), Before We Die (Swedish version, since remade by Channel 4 but not watched that version, supposedly nowhere near as good), The Swingers varies in quality across lots of seasons (since remade by Channel 4 as the Neighbours, currently showing but I've only watched a few mins). The Lawyer. Also watched another 50+ Walter series no longer available that were mostly B- to B, though a few C, even a couple of D.

There are tons of B to B+ type series on Walter but very few A+. Huge number of detective shows, Scandinavian drama, French/Belgian/Dutch series. I liked Thou Shalt Not Kill (probably because the main actress is gorgeous in an understated way). Early seasons of Inspector Borowski were very good, most recent season the plots were awful.

General guide to my ratings for Walter (clearly he has done his own filtering so there shouldn't be many rubbish shows):

C don't bother, hard to understand why Walter chose this

B- might be worth considering if you like that type of drama, for example german detective, Scandi noir, political, 8 x 45 min episodes

B reasonably good so long as you are comfortable watching foreign drama, check if it is your type of drama

B+ good, recommended if within your normal range

A- might be worth risking even if slightly different to what you typically watch, recommended if within your normal range
Great stuff, thank you

pauldyson1uk

Watched this. Reminded me some old crime shows like Burn Notice etc. However, they should have kept the murder as a mystery. Showing who the criminal is at the beginning takes away the investigative drama a lot.
I was think along the lines of a female Columbo, the enjoyment was more in the how’s and why’s, rather than who.

Suv666

What if in Home Alone instead of a child there was an adult women with adult problems and the aesthetics were more horror-ish?

Fargo season 5

zing

Zingle balls
Just started The Recruit on Netflix.
2 episodes in and yeah it’s a bit of a push to be credible but still enjoyable entertainment for a weeknight.

My elderly FIL prefers spy/action/war so it fits the bill nicely.
My ratings system for him is “two eyes open”, instead of “2 thumbs up”.
Any other recs for spy/action type? I’ve seen Jack Ryan, Night Agent and Reacher. Liked them all to varying levels.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Gonna start that new Netflix series tonight. It’s called fool me once. Anyone seen it yet? Got Michelle keegan in it, some of it was filmed down the road from my work.

G-manc

Gonna start that new Netflix series tonight. It’s called fool me once. Anyone seen it yet? Got Michelle keegan in it, some of it was filmed down the road from my work.
Yeah, it’s decent. Another Harlen Coben adaption and they’ve all been pretty good.

Faetheshire86

I finished Blue Eye Samurai yesterday - what a great show. Is this anime? If it is, it's the first anime show I've seen and I loved it.

Would love to get some recommendations of similar shows (real or anime) set in the Shogunate period / feudal Japan.
A friend nagged me into watching this and I thought it was dynamite. One of the episodes in particular blew me away. It had a current event, a flashback and a Japanese puppet theatre show all interwoven into the story, it was really well done.

The "is this anime?" question is quite interesting. I've tried on a few occasions to get into some of the "big" anime shows and I've never enjoyed them. Blue Eye Samurai is made by Westerners, so I guess it's not technically anime, but the style definitely makes it feel like one. I also really enjoyed Castlevania which is in a similar vein. It does make me question what it is about the Western anime influenced shows that I enjoy, or if I've just been unlucky with the shows I've watched.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea i am watching this also. Its like the other Coben works - not believeable in the slightest, but watchable for all the twists and turns.

DJ_21

Yea i am watching this also. Its like the other Coben works - not believeable in the slightest, but watchable for all the twists and turns.
Love stuff like this though. You just know somethings gonna happen that you don’t expect.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Love stuff like this though. You just know somethings gonna happen that you don’t expect.
Yea same. The Spanish one, I cannot remember the name, was the best of the lot. The Polish one was a bit slow.

DJ_21

Yea same. The Spanish one, I cannot remember the name, was the best of the lot. The Polish one was a bit slow.
The innocent? That was good. Not seen the polish one. Stay close is one of my best ones.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Got 3 months free of Apple TV so have a new batch of shows to watch.

Started Ted Lasso. Very saccharine but I do like it. The grumpy old captain being named Roy Kent is certainly on the nose!

What's better out of Silo and Foundation? Looking for something to scratch the sci-fi itch.

Loon

:lol:

Started Ted Lasso. Very saccharine but I do like it. The grumpy old captain being named Roy Kent is certainly on the nose!

What's better out of Silo and Foundation? Looking for something to scratch the sci-fi itch.
SLOW HORSES. Get on it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Foundation is on a way grander scale and the better of the two - plus has two seasons compared to Silo's one - but they're both worth your time.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The innocent? That was good. Not seen the polish one. Stay close is one of my best ones.
Yes thats it. Very good - the best of them. I still have to watch two more, the french one and another english one i think.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Black Bird & Five Days at Memorial.

Ahmer Baig

A friend nagged me into watching this and I thought it was dynamite. One of the episodes in particular blew me away. It had a current event, a flashback and a Japanese puppet theatre show all interwoven into the story, it was really well done.

The "is this anime?" question is quite interesting. I've tried on a few occasions to get into some of the "big" anime shows and I've never enjoyed them. Blue Eye Samurai is made by Westerners, so I guess it's not technically anime, but the style definitely makes it feel like one. I also really enjoyed Castlevania which is in a similar vein. It does make me question what it is about the Western anime influenced shows that I enjoy, or if I've just been unlucky with the shows I've watched.
If you enjoyed these shows, try Vinland Saga, anime about Viking rule in UK and also a young Viking boy taken captive tries to win his freedom.

Andersons Dietician

If you enjoyed these shows, try Vinland Saga, anime about Viking rule in UK and also a young Viking boy taken captive tries to win his freedom.
Ist season brilliant, 2nd season Meh.

@Faetheshire86 I’m the complete opposite. I’m by no means a big anime fan but I’ve watched most the big series. Naruto, Dragonball, Deathnote,Black clover,Jujitsu kaisan, demon slayer, Tokyo Ghoul and the likes and I’ve quite enjoyed them.

But I really can’t get in to blue eyed Samurai. It’s just not gripped me yet and I’m finding it a struggle. I’d heard people talk about Castlevania on here and how good it was, so gave it a try and thought it to be terrible.

I’m going to forge ahead with blue eyed to see if it sparks in to life for me.

Last edited:

Spark

I’d personally say Silo, but I loved them both. Foundation probably better if you haven’t read the books, but I still thought the show was great.

Severance is better than both. Apple TV is the best out there currently imo.

Spoony

The People's President

Foundation...and it's not even close.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Foundation for me. I loved the books, also loved the books Silo is based on. Foundation is a bit deeper with multiple plots happening, Silo was enjoyable but lacked something I couldnt put my finger on.

Loon

:lol:
I’ve been told by several people this past week the TV series about the Post Office scandal with Toby Jones is fantastic.

Anyone seen it?

Tarrou

I’ve been told by several people this past week the TV series about the Post Office scandal with Toby Jones is fantastic.

Anyone seen it?
yeah it’s brilliant, watched the whole lot in one go which I rarely do

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Blue Eye Samurai was top notch. Anyone recommend some video games of this era?

M15 Red.

Just finished both seasons of Kin, the Irish gangland drama. Pretty entertaining show, although that's mainly down to the actors rather than the plot, which is pretty thin.

7/10.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Blue Eye Samurai was top notch. Anyone recommend some video games of this era?
Don't think you'll find many with the exact setting and era. For setting the best is probably Ghost of Tsushima. For 17th century I've got no idea. Maybe Monkey Island?