Argentina NT | WC Discussion

sport2793

That 4-4-2 looked solid with a 4-man midfield of Allister, Paredes, De Paul and Enzo Fernandez. Very hard midfield to bully.
It's Mac Allister, same origin as MacAllister as his family emigrated a few generations ago from Ireland or Scotland, hence the red hair.

saivet

They've been a bit rubbish to watch but fairly solid throughout. People like to talk about England's easy runs in the last Euros and World Cup and I would probably say this one is even better.

You can only play against who you're up against and they've done their job. If France are in the final, I think their power might be too much as it's a massive step up to what they've faced all tournament.

AndyMUFC

Alvarez and MacAllister have made a big difference since the opening couple of games.

Certainly not the most spectacular team in the world but they've got Messi.

Ahmer Baig

For those who do not know, it was Pakistan Hockey Team of 1978 which inspired the then Argentinian football coach Cesar Louis Menotti, to adopt for his world cup bound team, the textbook Pakistani formation of 3-4-3. Menotti spent hours observing the practice sessions of Team Pakistan, on the sidelines of the hockey world cup in Beunos Aires, to study the "triangular play" and "pass and go" tactics of green shirts. By adopting the peculiarly Pakistani style of play in a different sport, Menotti engineered the first world cup victory for Argentina in 1978. The Government of Argentina sent a special note of thanks to Islamabad upon the crowning of its team as World Champions!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenews.com.pk/amp/565842-pakistan-helped-argentina-win-world-cup

Red the Bear

Something less generic
For those who do not know, it was Pakistan Hockey Team of 1978 which inspired the then Argentinian football coach Cesar Louis Menotti, to adopt for his world cup bound team, the textbook Pakistani formation of 3-4-3. Menotti spent hours observing the practice sessions of Team Pakistan, on the sidelines of the hockey world cup in Beunos Aires, to study the "triangular play" and "pass and go" tactics of green shirts. By adopting the peculiarly Pakistani style of play in a different sport, Menotti engineered the first world cup victory for Argentina in 1978. The Government of Argentina sent a special note of thanks to Islamabad upon the crowning of its team as World Champions!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenews.com.pk/amp/565842-pakistan-helped-argentina-win-world-cup
That's a fun tidbit of history i don't know about, kinda cool.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In the spirit of Admiral William Brown, get right fecking into them in the final, Argentina, whoever it is!
They should fully play on the fact that referees hate giving red cards in major finals.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
You can only play against who you're up against and they've done their job. If France are in the final, I think their power might be too much as it's a massive step up to what they've faced all tournament.
I doubt it. France have only played against teams that dont play that deep, leaving lots of space for Mbappe and Griezman. England succesfully disabled Mbappe and Griezman made the difference. France cant play their usual 'everybody forward' game against Argentina; with Alvarez/Messi/Di Maria lurking on a counter it could proof very deadly. Probably a very close 50-50 match thats won in midfield. Low scoring game

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I doubt it. France have only played against teams that dont play that deep, leaving lots of space for Mbappe and Griezman. England succesfully disabled Mbappe and Griezman made the difference. France cant play their usual 'everybody forward' game against Argentina; with Alvarez/Messi/Di Maria lurking on a counter it could proof very deadly. Probably a very close 50-50 match thats won in midfield. Low scoring game
Maybe I think Scaloni will set up as back 3 or 5( 3-5-2 or 3-4-3) and will play more compactly( and not give any space in the flanks) against France. Since he's a very adaptable manager, I think he will do that in the final( if France wins against Morocco).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why is everyone so salty :confused::lol:
A lot of people in here having to face up to the fact that their favourite player isn't the best.
Most of the big sides are hated by someone. Just the way it goes.
Probably most of the reasons covered above. Add in potentially some European bias and viola.

Hoping for an Argentina win on Sunday but difficult to see against France (if they progress, which they should).

Funnily, if Morocco advances, i might have split loyalties in the final due to being (South) African!

AshRK

They've been a bit rubbish to watch but fairly solid throughout. People like to talk about England's easy runs in the last Euros and World Cup and I would probably say this one is even better.

Well england lost to croatia. Argentina did not and also England faced a sweden side whilst Argentina played Netherlands so I am not sure if England's run was tough than this. Argentina defenitely have had it easy but not easier than England

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Probably most of the reasons covered above. Add in potentially some European bias and viola.
Falklands and the WC history with England (86 and 98) are probably also on the back of the minds of some.

Josh 76

All I’m reading is how boring and unspectacular Argentina are.

Most winners of the World Cup are boring and unspectacular.

MostHandsomePlayer

In the transfer market, Scaloni eclipses any of the individual players by far. Won the Copa America and is in the final regardless of what happens on Sunday. He's shown to be tactically astute, modifying his formation according to the opponent, has been able to deal with injuries by finding replacements, and is very well liked by their players apparently. He's the youngest manager in the WC.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Loved how the fans went nuts after Alvarez's first goal.

antk

It's crazy how many goals they've been scoring despite Lautaro being awful and most of the players in the starting XI not exactly being categorized as spectacular. The manager is doing a tremendous job.

They had arguably average-ish midfielders on the wings today and still scored 3. Granted they didn't create a lot more than those goals but they never had to anyway.

Ted Lasso

All I’m reading is how boring and unspectacular Argentina are.

Most winners of the World Cup are boring and unspectacular.
Did you see the quote from the Morocco coach? Basically told off everyone talking that way to choke on their xGs and such. It was kind of awesome.

Pintu

It's crazy how many goals they've been scoring despite Lautaro being awful and most of the players in the starting XI not exactly being categorized as spectacular. The manager is doing a tremendous job.

They had arguably average-ish midfielders on the wings today and still scored 3. Granted they didn't create a lot more than those goals but they never had to anyway.
They are really good… They can afford to
leave Lautato and Di Maria on the bench unused subs. Dybala came on for 10 mins and it was enough for him to create a big chance for Mac Allister… Messi is playing like Maradona. The things he used to do for Barcelona at his peak years but never really done in the WC (especially the later stages). He’s been phenomenal so far in this competition.

Todd

I had Lautaro nailed on as the top scorer for the tournament, if you'd told me a month ago that Argentina would make the final and one or two of their players would be at the top of the scoring title race I'd have felt pretty smug.

It'll be interesting to see if City cash in on this Alvarez pop. He'll never get regular time with the robot inevitably scoring every match.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the better teams were on the other side of the bracket but now that Argentina are in the final I think they have a good shot at winning the whole thing! Congrats on reaching the final and hope they can win it!

croadyman

Hats off to Argentina for showing us what a killer instinct and will to win can do. England can damn sure learn something from that but it won't happen until changes are made.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd still be surprised if they won it but that was a much better display against a good team

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I'd still be surprised if they won it but that was a much better display against a good team
They had nothing going forward, which was a recurring problem, and capitulated after the second goal. Happy for Argentina but still not entirely convinced by them.

GinobiliTheGOAT

I feel they haven't really shown their best and they've played a lot of toothless teams, which isn't their fault as that's just the way the draw has worked out. If France get through I think they would fancy their chances against this defence.
Argentina could also rip France’s defense

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hats off to Argentina for showing us what a killer instinct and will to win can do. England can damn sure learn something from that but it won't happen until changes are made.
Not much to learn from simply having the greatest of all time there