Arsenal 2017/2018

Obiorahking_

I think we play a different defensive style though. Under LVG we had the ball most of the time and played a higher line, so our defenders had to be fast and good at reading balls over the top. We also used more man marking, while Mourinho prefers zonal. I think our defense is also just better now, we relied a lot on DDG under LVG whereas he's a spectator most games now.

On the whole 'defensive coach' argument, there's a difference between being able to organize a good defense and a coach who is not interested developing the offensive side of his team's game. No elite coach falls into the second category, so I don't know where the accusation of being defensive comes from.
The style is different yes, but overall Mourinho allows more freedom than LVG, meaning that the potential to be exposed is greater. Despite this, we still maintain a very good goals against record, kinda implying that the reason our defense is the way it is mainly due to the players themselves rather than the defensive set up.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
The style is different yes, but overall Mourinho allows more freedom than LVG, meaning that the potential to be exposed is greater. Despite this, we still maintain a very good goals against record, kinda implying that the reason our defense is the way it is mainly due to the players themselves rather than the defensive set up.
Why are you finding it so hard to admit that managers can make defenders look better with good defensive organisation? It's not outrageous to think that a defender will look better if he's playing deeper and has more protection from his midfield than if he's playing high up the pitch, defending one on one and midfielders aren't tracking back.

Obiorahking_

Why are you finding it so hard to admit that managers can make defenders look better with good defensive organisation? It's not outrageous to think that a defender will look better if he's playing deeper and has more protection from his midfield than if he's playing high up the pitch, defending one on one and midfielders aren't tracking back.
great defenders earn their recognition from defending. The act of defending in itself implies that the defender is in a situation where he is called upon to perform a defensive task that is directly related to the player . Therefore, our defenders earn their recognition because they perform their jobs astutely when they are called upon to defend regardless of the scenario whether its on the counter or in open play, not because of a defensive scheme.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Watching him play and Arsenals defensive performances.

I mean, if we really have to we can drag up videos of where he has been particularly terrible, like the league cup final against Birmingham which he was culpable for the defeat.

Perhaps it's because NO player has been sent off as many times as him since he joined the league?

Even his own fans claim he is mentally weak, not vocal enough and not not strong enough to be a leader at the back.

Or we can bring up opinion pieces from journalists and ex Pros and Redcafe who believe the same thing:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/footbal...ers-in-the-premier-league-dont-make-me-laugh/

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/07/arsen...ot-world-class-says-charlie-nicholas-6494606/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-highly-do-you-rate-laurent-koscielny.426423/

Then there's the match reports where he has been culpable for penalties, free kicks that have cost goals, missed headers that have cost goals, etc etc.

Yes every defender costs goals at some point, but there hasn't been a defender as over rated in the league Jonathan Woodgate.
The league cup final was 6 years ago. You're not making much sense so I'd leave you be. I can also find many posts here and online for many bad performances of many Utd players over the past 6 years. I really don't see your point.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Personnel isn't arsenal's problem. Give those same players to Mourinho, Conte, Pochettino, and they'd turn arsenal into one of the best defensive teams in the land

It's a structural problem, lack of cohesion and communication between the units. Stoke's goal was on Xhaka and Ramsey(or whoever the two guys who choose to put double pressure on the ball in midfield leaving jese open in the middle of the park were)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Personnel isn't arsenal's problem. Give those same players to Mourinho, Conte, Pochettino, and they'd turn arsenal into one of the best defensive teams in the land

It's a structural problem, lack of cohesion and communication between the units. Stoke's goal was on Xhaka and Ramsey(or whoever the two guys who choose to put double pressure on the ball in midfield leaving jese open in the middle of the park were)
Wenger just tells the players to go out and play. He doesn't give a feck about organization.

tomaldinho1

You're doing exactly the same. Lindelöf, jones, smelling, rojo etc etc. A bunch of average defenders really. No big club would want any of them.

And I clearly said on paper.
I didn't say any of them were great, I agree they're avergae tbh althoug if Jones stays fit I do like him (he won't). Bailly is great though. Your issue is more about the system (or lack of) IMO

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Lacazette's finish for that super marginal offside goal was brilliant.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Hopefully he can repeat it. I have liked him so far.
Poor old Danny Welbeck. Having such a clinical finisher next to him highlights how much he lacks in that department.

I'm really hoping you lot push Spurs out of the top four this year.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Poor old Danny Welbeck. Having such a clinical finisher next to him highlights how much he lacks in that department.

I'm really hoping you lot push Spurs out of the top four this year.
Well, he should learn from him ;)

Our only hope is Wembley :lol:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Apparently, we have offered Chamberlain a new four-year deal worth 125.000£ a week to keep him.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Interesting. Always thought he plays in a pure winger position for Wenger. How are his defensive skills? Only really noticed his offensive game.
Defensively better than Bellerin, he works harder, doesn't rely on pure recovery speed as much and his timing for tackles isn't that bad. Wing back suits him because his lack of pure end product isn't as painful, he does have better all around defensive skills than Bellerin and his stamina works well in a 3 at the back wing back set up.

LeftyBlaster

Defensively better than Bellerin, he works harder, doesn't rely on pure recovery speed as much and his timing for tackles isn't that bad. Wing back suits him because his lack of pure end product isn't as painful, he does have better all around defensive skills than Bellerin and his stamina works well in a 3 at the back wing back set up.
Sounds like the perfect squad player that Jose could improve on. How happy is he at Arsenal :p

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Three at the back is supposed to provide more control but somehow Arsenal manage to play a version of it where you are incredibly open at the back. Everytime Stoke stuck 3 passes together they were in acres of space , just can't understand how Wenger does it but he manages this with any squad and formation

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Three at the back is supposed to provide more control but somehow Arsenal manage to play a version of it where you are incredibly open at the back. Everytime Stoke stuck 3 passes together they were in acres of space , just can't understand how Wenger does it but he manages this with any squad and formation
No tactical discipline, plus ramsey in midfield. Arsenal are all heart and no brain

JSArsenal

I think personnel is part of the problem, too many times I've seen fans and pundits alike excuse poor performances from our players to put the blame solely on Wenger's coaching or lack thereof.

Whatever defensive work Wenger is doing on the training pitch, I'm quite sure he doesn't tell Mertesacker to duck out of the way when Liverpool are having an attempt on goal during injury time to score a last minute equalizer. Nor does he tell Walcott to have two touches in fifteen minutes and pull out of challenges. He also doesn't instruct Xhaka to go diving in recklessly and get needless red cards.

Which leads to our main problem, our players usually suffer no consequence for a poor performance. When last season all went wrong, I'm fairly sure we played the same XI week to week. Maitland-Niles was great in the FA cup at Southampton, but he never once gets a look in after that, even though Xhaka was playing horribly. Giroud has in the past gone on an eleven game run without scoring. Then when Wenger does decide to drop a player, that player never gets a look in again, ever.

Give this team to any other manager and we'd finish no higher than 3rd. Mourinho isn't going to improve Chamberlain's end product. Conte and Mourinho are not going to make the likes of Gibbs and Debuchy competent back ups. Giroud's flaws won't magically disappear because he's playing for Pochettino

This is our level. Wenger's fault lies in the fact that this is his team, he bought these players, he coaches them and he selects the team. Yet he can't see the flaws in this team because he has far too much faith in them, when they have let him and us down time and time again. I think nearly every member of our squad is overrated to a level that's beyond their capabilities and therefore expectations are too high. We have no competent back up full backs (Wing backs), nor midfield back ups.

Not to mention that the first team players we do have are getting up in age or running down their contracts.. A proactive manager would go out and get Sanchez and Ozil's replacements this summer so that we aren't struggling to find replacements during a world cup summer next year, but that will never happen.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Wenger is the opposition manager I used to respect more than any other (Even more than Jose at the time)

But his stubbornness is the reason for Arsenal' s problems. He was one of greatest innovators when he joined the league but he has refused to evolve. His way of doing things had failed for a decade yet he remains stubborn.

It's groundhog day every season for Arsenal fans. He really should never have gotten that new contract. Arsenal need new ideas.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
He really isnt. Often giving away penalties, red cards and really poor defending in the top matches be it CL or PL. Well maybe he is, because the PL has really poor defenders. He is excellent against non-top sides though.
Most of those cards and last ditch tackles and whatnot is more to do with his defensive partners going to sleep and him having to cover for them.

Definitely a top CB and can definitely hold his own against top teams. In fact last year in both games against Bayern we were winning 2-1 if I recall and going through. Moment he goes off we ship 8 goals.

Anyway our defenders aren't the problem but the organisation is and that's down to the manager.
Unfortunately we do not really work on anything except 'playing our own game'.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Most of those cards and last ditch tackles and whatnot is more to do with his defensive partners going to sleep and him having to cover for them.

Definitely a top CB and can definitely hold his own against top teams. In fact last year in both games against Bayern we were winning 2-1 if I recall and going through. Moment he goes off we ship 8 goals.

Anyway our defenders aren't the problem but the organisation is and that's down to the manager.
So he rather gets red cards whilst giving away pens than possibly a goalscoring chance? He sleeps often himself too.

He can be a top CB on his day, but I've see many top matches of him which were very below par. Just look at the Hazard goal last season for example.

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

That's the reason why Wenger is outdated. A modern manager adapts to his opponents.