Arsenal 2017/2018

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Hopefully gazidis takes first hit, the lying bum mentioned we had 200 mil cash reserves when season finished only 2 months ago, which was around the time season ticket renewals were ongoing and now that it is all finished, we suddenly have no money. :mad:
If anyone needs to get the first hit it is the man responsible for Wenger's contract extension. Stan Kroenke. Rewarding fraud with an 8.9m contract. My Arsenal mates say that he is the main reason Wenger is staying on and Gazidis and many on the board wanted Wenger gone.

Robertd0803

Do take it with a pinch of salt, but interesting reading nonetheless.

This Liverpool game was a REAL eye opener at the problems wenger himself, now knows he faces. He told every player that if they didn't want to be there come forward now and he will find them a new home as he only wants players there willing to fight for this club.
The Liverpool game was a real eye opener? What was he doing during the 8-2 game? The 6-0 v Chelsea, 5-1 vs Liverpool and all the other shockers over the last 11/12 years at least? :lol::lol::lol:

Heres a question, can anyone pinpoint the exact moment/event that started Arsenals downfall? Was trying to think how long the issues have been going on for my comment above and cant actually remember when things started going to shit for them.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The Liverpool game was a real eye opener? What was he doing during the 8-2 game? The 6-0 v Chelsea, 5-1 vs Liverpool and all the other shockers over the last 11/12 years at least? :lol::lol::lol:

Heres a question, can anyone pinpoint the exact moment/event that started Arsenals downfall? Was trying to think how long the issues have been going on for my comment above and cant actually remember when things started going to shit for them.
This :lol:

Having a couple of howlers each year against the other top sides is one thing, but their trophy haul the last decade or so speaks for itself

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

The moment Gallas broke down on the pitch.

dannofdawn

Last season plus what has been going on since pre-season til now for Arsenal got me thinking - As a fan of UTD, it is easy for me to just say "#WengerIN LOL", but if I'm being totally honest, I've come to realized that I still want Wenger In, EVEN when considering what's best for the club. And that thinking actually baffled myself at first.

Seeing the kind of owner Arsenal got, I think it is clear that the club is doomed under them. Arsenal won't win the league or the UCL as long as that pathetic board of theirs stay the same. So if you put yourself in the shoes of Wenger, when you contemplate whether it really is time for you to leave, seeing how you've finally failed to get top 4, or should you sign that 2 year contract? I would have signed it, for the sake of the club. Because who on earth right now would be able to keep Arsenal competitive, at least for top 4 race? No manager would come to Arsenal right now, see the strict limits on transfers and wages, then turn around and see the ambitions of the fans and think Arsenal is a worthy project to get themselves invested into. None of them would love Arsenal as much as Wenger, I mean he's probably the only manager who would suffer and struggle with the club, fight for it for as long as he could. Other managers? They would have jump ship within 2 years, lose all motivation to elevate the players, rebuild the coaching teams, the scouting network, etc. Just get themselves sacked or leave at the end of the contract and find a new club. Causing instability, lack of continuity in the club, and things are just going get worst.

I think it is because how much power and how much history Wenger has with the club that Arsenal managed to stay top 4 for so long. Because I think now it is clear that it wasn't all Wenger who wouldn't want to spend, but the board are the ones who refused to spend.

So maybe I'm insane to think this, and trust me I'm still questioning himself as I type this, but Wenger staying might actually be the only thing keeping Arsenal from falling further down the pecking order. That is not to say he's done a wonderful job ever since the Invincibles, I'm just saying no one else could come in right now and do a better job over a few years span.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Of course, we have kept both Sanchez and Ozil. It doesn't matter if they are unhappy.
You was never going to lose Ozil though, which big club would buy him? I cant honestly think of any that have a use for him for his wages.

Whilst you may have kept sanchez he was a one man army last year and without him I actually feel you would've finished a lot lower, he wont hit anywhere near that level of performance again, so I think it will matter.

AgentP

If you just look at the team and ignore all other drama surrounding the club, they have actually improved from last year. They have a good striker and left back now.

Cech
Bellerin Koscielny Mustafi Kolasinac
Xhaka Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Lacazette
Against tough opponents, they can play 3 in the midfield with either Coquelin or Elneny. The manager has just failed to lift the players and now is stuck with some really unhappy ones.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If you just look at the team and ignore all other drama surrounding the club, they have actually improved from last year. They have a good striker and left back now.

Cech
Xhaka Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Lacazette
Against tough opponents, they can play 3 in the midfield with either Coquelin or Elneny. The manager has just failed to lift the players and now is stuck with some really unhappy ones.
Yeah they have improved, retained Sanchez and Ozil, added Lacazette and LB. They haven't lost any key players, so they have improved.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Cech
Xhaka Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Lacazette
This just doesn't work.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea

Cech
Xhaka Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Lacazette
On paper agreed.

But in reality Bellerin has been on a massive decline since last season and hasn't played well for quite some time, Mustafi has just asked to leave the club, thought he would get his move and didn't and will now be unhappy. I would argue that Kos might start to (slightly) decline this year compared to his performances the last few years.

Sanchez wont perform at the same level of last year and Ramsey, Xhaka combo is truly quite horrendous.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
On paper agreed.

But in reality Bellerin has been on a massive decline since last season and hasn't played well for quite some time, Mustafi has just asked to leave the club, thought he would get his move and didn't and will now be unhappy. I would argue that Kos might start to (slightly) decline this year compared to his performances the last few years.

Sanchez wont perform at the same level of last year and Ramsey, Xhaka combo is truly quite horrendous.
So all the players who wanted to leave but couldn't would be unhappy and won't play to their best? I think you have made lot of assumptions and worst case scenarios for everything related to Arsenal.

AgentP

On paper agreed.

I know. There is a good chance that many might underperform. But with the world cup coming up, the players can't afford to slack. Even if not for Arsenal, they'll have to raise their game to earn a spot in their national team.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
So all the players who wanted to leave but couldn't would be unhappy and won't play to their best? I think you have made lot of assumptions and worst case scenarios for everything related to Arsenal.
When you say "all" I referred to 2 in Mustafi & Sanchez and yes I don't see Sanchez achieving 20G and 10A (or whatever his stats where last year) again this year in a team he really doesn't want to be there and may even be signed to city on a pre in January.

Don't think its a stretch to see that happiness and motivation affect players form.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
If anyone needs to get the first hit it is the man responsible for Wenger's contract extension. Stan Kroenke. Rewarding fraud with an 8.9m contract. My Arsenal mates say that he is the main reason Wenger is staying on and Gazidis and many on the board wanted Wenger gone.
Lol point is everyone up there needs to get slapped out the club.

Eye-opener as in he finally realised he's got a few passengers in the team that don't give a shit. But yea I can see where you're coming from :lol:

Good shout, they were serious contenders that season until that and the defeat at Old Trafford.
Yea we were a few points ahead in 2008 and were favourites to win it until that birmingham cnut chopped Eduardo leg in half. Bunch of kids watching that, got mentally scarred and downed tools probably thinking they might be next.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Cech
Xhaka Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Lacazette
Walcott? Absolutely not. I think Iwobi should be given another chance. He is still young and his dip in form last year could happen.

Kapardin

Not a surprise. Knew that Wenger would prefer a non-existent fourth place trophy over the real thing for CL qualification.

RedDevil@84

I also find it a bit amusing that Wenger denies that Thursday matches affect the recovery for weekend matches. He also proceeds to say that the fatigues of the Thursday match is all in the head or something of that sort. Psychologist!!!

TheSpaceman

Random bump... any updates on Santi Cazorla? Saw his name mentioned in an article and wonder what the injury situation is for him. Liked watching him.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I have the same injury as Santi 5 years ago, never been able to recover fully from it. He's showing that he is ready to play again and targeted the 2nd half of the season, but 10 months away from the game.... :nervous:
I read he wants to play, but like you said, 10 months without a single game are too much.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
It's easy to be too positive about the impact an injured player might have had, ignoring likely dips in form, but I'm pretty sure that with a healthy Cazorla over the last two seasons Arsenal would have been closer to Leicester for the title (at least) and still be in the Champions League.

Giroud scored his 100th goal for Arsenal yesterday (in one game fewer than RVP, apparently).

Wenger on Giroud:
http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/wenger-on-giroud-as-he-becomes-an-arsenal-centurion/

and Walcott on why he didn't take the penalty:
http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/walcott-i-could-have-taken-penalty-but-left-it-to-giroud/

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's easy to be too positive about the impact an injured player might have had, ignoring likely dips in form, but I'm pretty sure that with a healthy Cazorla over the last two seasons Arsenal would have been closer to Leicester for the title (at least) and still be in the Champions League.

Giroud scored his 100th goal for Arsenal yesterday (in one game fewer than RVP, apparently).

Wenger on Giroud:
http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/wenger-on-giroud-as-he-becomes-an-arsenal-centurion/
31 of those 100 are headed goals :eek:

ReallyUSA

= Kroenke trying to get 97 percent of the club

Last edited by a moderator:

salford_

Wont win the league again while Wenger is there. Ozil and/or Sanchez gone next summer.

Fair play for getting 40m for OX though, what a outstanding bit of business. Liverpool fans celebrating at the time probably looking for the receipt now

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Wont win the league again while Wenger is there. Ozil and/or Sanchez gone next summer.

Fair play for getting 40m for OX though, what a outstanding bit of business. Liverpool fans celebrating at the time probably looking for the receipt now
There is no guarantee we will win the league with an other coach. There are to many good teams, which can invest how much they want (City, United, Chelsea). Finish the league above Liverpool and Tottenham is more realistic and should be the goal. Everything else is bonus.

Reactions: Penna