Arsenal 2017/2018

Djemba-Djemba

People forget that SAF had bad seasons here after 1999 - 2003/04 and 04-05 were difficult years- and after the 2006-09 treble. 09-10 was not a good season, 11-12 United won nothing, and he was here as long as Wenger is there at Arsenal the difference being that United fans never started saying that SAF was no longer the same, past his prime, etc, always kept the faith he would turn things around and he did many times. I feel like Wenger lives with much more pressure than SAF ever had after 1999 from a fans standpoint. My point is, Arsenal has a good squad this season, Wilshere is back in good form and Lacazette gives the team something they didn't have before, plus Ozil and Alexis, Wenger is a good manager, the season has just started, wait until February before saying everything is lost people. I know he likely won't turn things around but why not give him the atmosphere to try ?
Utd underwhelming slightly from 2004 to 2006, a period in which we finished 3rd then 3rd then 2nd and won two trophies, is not the same as Arsenal going 9 years without a trophy and getting on for 14 years without the title.

They're just not remotely similar.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Utd underwhelming slightly from 2004 to 2006, a period in which we finished 3rd then 3rd then 2nd and won two trophies, is not the same as Arsenal going 9 years without a trophy and getting on for 14 years without the title.

They're just not remotely similar.
Your first years with Sir Alex were bad, right? 1986-1991 trophyless, if i remember well.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Your first years with Sir Alex were bad, right? 1986-1991 trophyless, if i remember well.
Fergie joined late 86 and we won the FA Cup in 1990 so yeah effectively Fergie was trophyless from 87-90. Wouldn't have been something he could get away with now obviously.

RedDevil@84

Funny reading Gunners losing the s**t on \r\Gunners with teams like Atletico, BvB, Sevilla all coming to Europa

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Just had a relook...
ATM and BvB are very much possible.. They have been horrible... ATM has to face Roma and Chelsea.. BvB have to face Real and Tottenham...
Well, they wouldn't even play in the Europa League at this point :lol:.

Think all the teams from the Champions are seeded in the Europa League, but maybe i am wrong.

Theonas

Scout
Just Arsenal's luck. The year they have a real chance at a European trophy and it looks like it will be the toughest competition yet. On the other hand, a EL with Arsenal, Atlético, Dortmund, Milan, Napoli and maybe Monaco and Sevilla looks like the best one since the inception of the modern format.

prtk0811

Think all the teams from the Champions are seeded in the Europa League, but maybe i am wrong.
Arsenal and Wenger will be mistaken to take Europa league lightly given the teams that will be dropped in there along with the other Competition as top 4 also don't look very likely right now.

RedDevil@84

No.
For round of 32
Top 4 3rd placed teams from CL are seeded... Bottom 4 3rd placed teams from CL are unseeded...
12 group winners from EL are seeded
12 group runners up from EL are unseeded..

prtk0811

Just Arsenal's luck. The year they have a real chance at a European trophy and it looks like it will be the toughest competition yet. On the other hand, a EL with Arsenal, Atlético, Dortmund, Milan, Napoli and maybe Monaco and Sevilla looks like the best one since the inception of the modern format.
Arsenal are doomed.

prtk0811

Not just a European trophy but also most likely their ticket to champions league.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A draw would be amazing, giving City's form atm.
I think it'll help having Jack back, a midfielder with a bit more bite compared to the rest and someone who can actually dribble from that position. Okay, he's a had a few rusty moments but you look a stronger side with him being the link to the Alexis-Laca-Özil trio upfront. Not sure how he didn't get in the England team when you look at the state of our midfield. Good signs though, that he's completing the minutes.

AshRK

Dortmund are not dangerous atm, while Atletico are probably not gonna give a feck about the cup.

I am calm though ;)
Your biggest opponent will be wenger himself. Will he take it seriously? You lot have a good shout for winning the whole thing but Wenger could be tactically outplayed because of his arrogance against a tricky side.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Your biggest opponent will be wenger himself. Will he take it seriously? You lot have a good shout for winning the whole thing but Wenger could be tactically outplayed because of his arrogance against a tricky side.
True, Wenger is not taking it seriously atm. We have been lucky with the draw. Let's see what happens in february.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I think it'll help having Jack back, a midfielder with a bit more bite compared to the rest and someone who can actually dribble from that position. Okay, he's a had a few rusty moments but you look a stronger side with him being the link to the Alexis-Laca-Özil trio upfront. Not sure how he didn't get in the England team when you look at the state of our midfield. Good signs though, that he's completing the minutes.
Would love to have Jack in the team against City, instead of the useless Xhaka. Jack has been playing well for 2 months.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A bit like us really, we had a lot of time after qualifying to focus on the league and see if we could get anywhere by February-ish. At times we looked close to getting a Top 4 spot but then we gave it up towards the last 5ish games as it didn't look possible. You have that luxury if you keep progressing through the round to make the best decision for the club on which competition to focus on.

Classical Mechanic

Wilshere doesn’t start for his team and is totally unreliable.

JSArsenal

Europa League has been a blessing for us this season because it allows us to rest our first teamers and give opportunities to the reserves and kids.

Wenger would have run the likes of Koscielny, Ramsey, Bellerin, Sanchez and Ozil into the ground by now if we were playing in the Champions League. Bellerin especially as we have no back up right wing back and I cant see Wenger playing the likes of Nelson there against a Bayern Munich.

Hopefully this extra rest pays off over the course of the season, but that depends on if Wenger plans on drafting in the first team to play Europa League matches and when, the quarters? semis?

That isn't to say I want us in the Europa League season after season, I hope we win it this year, get back in the Champions League and actually buy some competent back ups that Wenger would be okay with rotating into the first team for Champions League games.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Europa League has been a blessing for us this season because it allows us to rest our first teamers and give opportunities to the reserves and kids.

Wenger would have run the likes of Koscielny, Ramsey, Bellerin, Sanchez and Ozil into the ground by now if we were playing in the Champions League. Bellerin especially as we have no back up right wing back and I cant see Wenger playing the likes of Nelson there against a Bayern Munich.

Hopefully this extra rest pays off over the course of the season, but that depends on if Wenger plans on drafting in the first team to play Europa League matches and when, the quarters? semis?

That isn't to say I want us in the Europa League season after season, I hope we win it this year, get back in the Champions League and actually buy some competent back ups that Wenger would be okay with rotating into the first team for Champions League games.
Just wait till it gets serious.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I think Arsenal will end up in a similar situition to United last season, whereby they will need to make a choice between going for top 4 or winning the EL, as a means to qualify for the CL.

Wonder which route Wenger will take.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Looking at some of the teams that are going to drop into the EL from the CL it would be madness to put all of our eggs in the EL basket. Finishing in the top 4 is a much safer bet than winning a knockout competition.