Arsenal 2017/2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Looking at some of the teams that are going to drop into the EL from the CL it would be madness to put all of our eggs in the EL basket. Finishing in the top 4 is a much safer bet than winning a knockout competition.
It's our best chance to finally win an european trophy, tbh. Do we want to make a name for ourselves in Europe?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Looking at some of the teams that are going to drop into the EL from the CL it would be madness to put all of our eggs in the EL basket. Finishing in the top 4 is a much safer bet than winning a knockout competition.
Ahead of who, though? Honestly I think Arsenal will struggle to find a way past City, United, Spurs or Chelsea in the race for top 4.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Terrible story about Cazorla in Marca today. He almost lost his foot and now he hopes to comeback in january :(

Player Red

Arsenal tend to pull a result out of the bag every so often. Hopefully it happens this weekend.

Treble

Arsenal played lovely football against Everton. They have players who can create and finsh. The problem is whether they can stop City to create and score more than them. The outcome is not a given at all. City will most certainly create more chances but they may fail to score enough to win.

Trizy

We know it. No problem. City are just too good for us.
Am I clutching straws or could the underdog card play into your hands? City turn up, think they'll easily beat you but you could frustrate them by not conceding then they lose the head.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Whilst id agree with the logic I dont see how you are going to get top 4, City, us, Spurs, Chelsea. I just dont see Arsenal being better than these teams. The season is long and you never know but just how it is shaping up atm I dont see it.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I think i read some United fans wanted him out at time.
They did. In fact, loads did but when you look at their league results over a sustained period of time, Ferguson didn't do himself too many favours. He actually finished 2nd in his first full season (1987-88) as United manager behind a Liverpool team that were still in their pomp. The criticism from United fans started after that when spending on players increased but the United team regressed from that 2nd place finish. It wasn't what you'd call a blip either - they finished 11th in 88-89 and 13th in 89-90 with an overall league record over those 2 seasons reading W26 D21 L29. From Boxing Day 1989 until the end of March 1990, United hovered between 15th and 17th place in the league and with 8 games to go of the 89-90 season, they sat 16th and were actually in a fair bit of danger of going down but 4 wins on the bounce saw them pull away from the relegation zone. Looking back, I didn't really consider how much danger they were in at the time because City were in even deeper relegation trouble but weirdly, both clubs got their shit together at almost exactly the same time in terms of easing their relegation fears. Of course, United also won the FA Cup that year and the rest is history but by all accounts Ferguson flirted with the sack before getting it right just in time.

Varun

Staff
I think Arsenal will end up in a similar situition to United last season, whereby they will need to make a choice between going for top 4 or winning the EL, as a means to qualify for the CL.

Wonder which route Wenger will take.
The top 4 one.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Am I clutching straws or could the underdog card play into your hands? City turn up, think they'll easily beat you but you could frustrate them by not conceding then they lose the head.
Another team are capable of it, we aren't. We just shit ourselves in the pants when we play a big team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Arsenal are due a capitulation, 4 wins and a draw in the last 5 games. However, Wenger is a good tactical match up for Guardiola. I wouldnt be surprised if Arsenal get a draw in this.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Conflicted, I do love an ArseFanTV meltdown but I also want them to take the wind out of City's sails.

I think the latter would be for the greater good.

Traub

Conflicted, I do love an ArseFanTV meltdown but I also want them to take the wind out of City's sails.

I think the latter would be for the greater good.
This is as close to a win-win as possible. A City draw or loss is good for us. But worst case, Arsenal get smashed and we get to enjoy the meltdown.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
^ even on paper, that's a really rubbish looking team. If Sanchez and Oezil leave, they won't have a single top class player in the entire squad. Scary times for Arsenal.

OneUnited24

You look at how much we've spent to get our team up to shape, even then we have a ways to go. I wonder how much it will take for Arsenal to improve their squad to challenge when Sanchez and Ozil leave

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
That's our system by now. The problem is Xhaka in the middle. He is gonne get eaten alive in a game like this.
His slow ponderous way of playing and the fact that he turns about as quickly as a cruise ship will play right into the hands of City's techno-midgets.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
You look at how much we've spent to get our team up to shape, even then we have a ways to go. I wonder how much it will take for Arsenal to improve their squad to challenge when Sanchez and Ozil leave
How many times has Ozil ever stepped up against a top team? I won't cry if he leaves. If Sanchez leaves then its a bigger problem. I am sorry, not if but when.

BergkamptoOvermars

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think we can beat this Manchester City team but I've not been overly impressed with their defending especially in recent matches so I expect us to score a couple, will be a thrilling game with lots of goals but ultimately City probably have too much for Arsenal at this moment.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just have a gut feeling that Arsenal may get a result tomorrow.

OneUnited24

How many times has Ozil ever stepped up against a top team? I won't cry if he leaves. If Sanchez leaves then its a bigger problem. I am sorry, not if but when.
True but against smaller sides i've seen him do the business. I think people underestimate the importance of having a player who can unlock the "smaller" sides defences. Imagine not having it. I look at your squad and fail to see another player who could unlock tight defences.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
They are far up shit creek when Ozil and Sanchez leaves. They won't attract anyone of that caliber with the lack of investment and ambition they are showing.

TRA007

Dont know why but I have a hunch that this Arsenal side is gonna shut up many critics this season. Wenger's got something brewing at the Emirates, but again it is just a hunch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dont know why but I have a hunch that this Arsenal side is gonna shut up many critics this season. Wenger's got something brewing at the Emirates, but again it is just a hunch.
I had that feeling until Watford beat them and it reminded me again that they'll compete for top 4, not the title.