Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
you have to respect the opponent and Liverpool were really good in second half. No shame to recognize.

He was a home referee, one soft penalty. No time wasting would haven’t changed the referee behavior. Xhaka went to the ground several times and never got the whistle.
What was soft about it? That was a very clear penalty and very stupid from Holding.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Newcastle away and City away sounds tough. But David Moyes will be the one who put up the fiercest fight of all. If you think Crystanbul was legendary, wait until David Moyes played with 10 CBs, won the game via a dodgy header from their only corner and celebrated with his trademark fistpumps that he did when United beat the mighty Fulham.

InfiniteBoredom

The team Moyes decides to use in the away game in Belgium could have a big impact on how fresh West Ham are in that game. I’d say it’ll be easy three points for Arsenal.
They are 3 pts above the drop, Moyes is not in any position to relax in the league. Arsenal may win easily regardless but it won’t be because of a weakened Spammers team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looked like they were destined to win it after their comeback win vs Bournemouth. Are they actually gonna bottle it?
I don’t think they will. They slipped up in the second half yesterday but so will City with their congested fixture list.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That doesn't make any sense. Either 2-2 at Anfield is a great result or it isn't. Regardless of Liverpool's recent issues, Anfield is a bitch of a place to play at (they've defeated City and United) and Arsenal would have taken a point before the game if offered
It’s not a great result but a decent one. On the other hand, expectations can definitely change based on the revised circumstances. Us coming 2nd next season would be fantastic. Us coming second after having a 10 point lead in March would create a sense of disappointment (albeit appreciation of progress too) with the end result considering the position we found ourselves in.

So yeah Arsenal should have won that game considering the lead. Draw is a decent result but obviously makes things tight. I still think they will take this.

Last edited:

Sir Erik ten Hag

Newcastle away and City away sounds tough. But David Moyes will be the one who put up the fiercest fight of all. If you think Crystanbul was legendary, wait until David Moyes played with 10 CBs, won the game via a dodgy header from their only corner and celebrated with his trademark fistpumps that he did when United beat the mighty Fulham.
It was a draw, though.

ti vu

The team Moyes decides to use in the away game in Belgium could have a big impact on how fresh West Ham are in that game. I’d say it’ll be easy three points for Arsenal.
I think West Ham would prioritize PL survival. They're a bit comfortable now, but nowhere near safe enough that they would fancy winning ELC and getting EL qualification for next season at all cost (if it's CL qualification, it's a different story).

West Ham remaining games are very tough: 4 against other regelation battlers, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Brenton and us, outside of Arsenal game.

Not saying West Ham is tough enough opposition for Arsenal. Just that they're likely trying their best in PL until they confirm their survival. Any point right now is huge in relegation battle.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Was happy with a draw before the game. We have a horrible record at Anfield and I think that mental block is still there. Going up 2-0 pretty early was great but in the end we could have lost that. It was an exhilarating game. Bad news is the obvious; letting a commanding position slip. Good news is that we got a draw here without Saliba and bar the penalty, Holding did pretty well. Onto the next one.

Zetrio2002

The Arsenal choke has began. Now the ball is on City to slip but unlikely. They even refuse to let Haaland go overseas so he can play for them.

Edwards6

Was happy with a draw before the game. We have a horrible record at Anfield and I think that mental block is still there. Going up 2-0 pretty early was great but in the end we could have lost that. It was an exhilarating game. Bad news is the obvious; letting a commanding position slip. Good news is that we got a draw here without Saliba and bar the penalty, Holding did pretty well. Onto the next one.
Before the game a draw would be seen as a good result but not when you're 2-0 up and Liverpool defending the way they were. It's just like Before the season 2nd would be seen as a great season but not when you're 8 points clear with a game in hand not long ago

gajender

Before the game a draw would be seen as a good result but not when you're 2-0 up and Liverpool defending the way they were. It's just like Before the season 2nd would be seen as a great season but not when you're 8 points clear with a game in hand not long ago
City had game in hand not Arsenal and unless Arsenal completely implode which seems highly unlikely given the way they have been playing it would be seen as great season for them even if they miss out on the title .

Edwards6

City had game in hand not Arsenal and unless Arsenal completely implode which seems highly unlikely given the way they have been playing it would be seen as great season for them even if they miss out on the title .
Yeah I got that bit wrong, it was before the Everton game they had chance to go 8 clear with a game in hand but they lost. Point is I remember Arsenal fans talking about going 11 points clear it would be a failure to lose it from where they were

RedorDead21

They got a good result at Anfield. Better than we usually did with SAF in our title years. It’s a massive hurdle jumped for them. Not sure why some are acting like it was the day they lost the title. That’s garbage.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
They got a good result at Anfield. Better than we usually did with SAF in our title years. It’s a massive hurdle jumped for them. Not sure why some are acting like it was the day they lost the title. That’s garbage.
Well because you can’t just look at the result of the game in isolation without looking at what exactly happened . If Arsenal trailed 1-0 or 2-0 and got a draw it would have been completely different but the fact that they were 2-0 up and in control but let it go is definitely a punch in the face

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I agree. Anfield away is always a fixture you expect to drop points. IMO it was important to put in a good performance and avoid defeat, and we achieved that. We have a horrible record against them in recent years. 4 points out of 6 this season is the best we've done against them in a long time. With Saliba out and having to play Holding, I was very worried we'd lose this, so happy enough with the outcome.

You realise we haven't won at Anfield since 2012? And before this season, we haven't beat them in the league in a while. They have had our number for the last few years, easily. Yes it's disappointing to drop points considering we were in a great position, but this was never going to be an easy game. I was actually surprised how easily we seemed to be getting through them in the first 30 mins.

RedorDead21

Well because you can’t just look at the result of the game in isolation without looking at what exactly happened . If Arsenal trailed 1-0 or 2-0 and got a draw it would have been completely different but the fact that they were 2-0 up and in control but let it go is definitely a punch in the face
People just want to knock them if they concede a throw in. We got absolutely battered there as usual. I’m sure city will draw a game as well before the season ends. One min the PL is the most competitive league in the world and next min you shouldn’t drop points away at Anfield. Laughable rhetoric really. 2-0 up with a half still to go just means you’re gonna have the kitchen sink thrown at you.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
People just want to knock them if they concede a throw in. We got absolutely battered there as usual. I’m sure city will draw a game as well before the season ends. One min the PL is the most competitive league in the world and next min you shouldn’t drop points away at Anfield. Laughable rhetoric really. 2-0 up with a half still to go just means you’re gonna have the kitchen sink thrown at you.
It is a bit weird that a draw at Anfield is being described as a bottle job of some sort. Utd were absolutely embarrassed there a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Edwards6

You realise we haven't won at Anfield since 2012? And before this season, we haven't beat them in the league in a while. They have had our number for the last few years, easily. Yes it's disappointing to drop points considering we were in a great position, but this was never going to be an easy game. I was actually surprised how easily we seemed to be getting through them in the first 30 mins.
Yeah before the game I was expecting you to lose but the way the first 30 minutes went I think you should be disappointed to finish with a draw, you let them back in with the time wasting antics and Xhaka riling the fans up, puts massive pressure on the game at the etihad now

It is a bit weird that a draw at Anfield is being described as a huge bottle job. Utd were absolutely embarrassed there a few weeks ago.
I think it had more to do with you being 2-0 up and completely cruising before Xhaka worked his magic.

Not to mention that if they were as clinical yesterday as they were against United it would've been 5/6 at least.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah before the game I was expecting you to lose but the way the first 30 minutes went I think you should be disappointed to finish with a draw, you let them back in with the time wasting antics and Xhaka riling the fans up, puts massive pressure on the game at the etihad now
Yes, a part of me also expected a loss. My hope was to play well and not lose. I think it shows the progress we've made that we got ourselves 2-0 up and were bossing the early stages. Completely different to our recent games there. I agree that the time wasting when there was still so much time left came back to bite us. Shouldn't have gotten carried away like that but I think that's part of the mental block we've had at Anfield for a while.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think it’s a bit weird to keep using United result as some sort of a marker to measure yourself against. Arsenal are 28 points ahead of Liverpool in the league.Why don’t you look at Real Madrid as a marker,they went & were 2 down in 15 minutes but managed to control the game and ended up winning 5-2.

I expected Arsenal as the best in the league to show a bit more ability to control the game. Of course Anfield factor is there but in the end the players are the same and you were against Curtis Jones & Henderson in midfield. Liverpool had an xg of 4.76 which is way higher than what they had against United so I am not sure that anyone can talk about it being a good performance by Arsenal

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think it had more to do with you being 2-0 up and completely cruising before Xhaka worked his magic.

Not to mention that if they were as clinical yesterday as they were against United it would've been 5/6 at least.
Yeh, unfortunately Xhaka of old reared his ugly head and from then on we struggled to match their intensity, with the crowd stirring them on.

We also had very good chances though and could have scored another couple of goals ourselves.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think it’s a bit weird to keep using United result as some sort of a marker to measure yourself against. Arsenal are 28 points ahead of Liverpool in the league.Why don’t you look at Real Madrid as a marker,they went & were 2 down in 15 minutes but managed to control the game and ended up winning 5-2.

I expected Arsenal as the best in the league to show a bit more ability to control the game. Of course Anfield factor is there but in the end the players are the same and you were against Curtis Jones & Henderson in midfield. Liverpool had an xg of 4.76 which is way higher than what they had against United so I am not sure that anyone can talk about it being a good performance by Arsenal
Im using that as an example because it shows that Liverpool at Anfield is no easy fixture, even with the poor season they're having. I don't think you'd have expected a 7-0 thrashing going into that game, no one did.

If we threw away a 2-0 lead against Soton then sure, I can understand the sentiment. But against Liverpool, who we have a horrid record against esp at Anfield, this is a very decent result.

gajender

Yeh, unfortunately Xhaka of old reared his ugly head and from then on we struggled to match their intensity, with the crowd stirring them on.

We also had very good chances though and could have scored another couple of goals ourselves.
I think as long as your team learn from this experience and improve game management and handle emotions better you should be fine .
City and Newcastle would definitely be the games where you expect their crowd and players to up the intensity and whip the frenzy to see how you react .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah it's weird, they should also use Leeds as example as go with "if Leeds can win there, why can't Arsenal". All are just dumb points.

People are acting dumb, as simple as that. Arsenal had complete control on the game and were 2-0 up, Liverpool were barely in the game, they struggled to get proper touch on the ball and Arsenal were all over them. Then they made some silly mistakes which changed the game and conceded in the last min of the game. It's 2 points dropped rather than point gained. Result is even bad when you consider how the dynamic of title race has changed.

Before the game, point at Anfield is a good point in any season but not after the start Arsenal had in this game. Context matters.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah it's weird, they should also use Leeds as example as go with "if Leeds can win there, why can't Arsenal". All are just dumb points.

People are acting dumb, as simple as that. Arsenal had complete control on the game and were 2-0 up, Liverpool were barely in the game, they struggled to get proper touch on the ball and Arsenal were all over them. Then they made some silly mistakes which changed the game and conceded in the last min of the game. It's 2 points dropped rather than point gained. Result is even bad when you consider how the dynamic of title race has changed.

Before the game, point at Anfield is a good point in any season but not after the start Arsenal had in this game. Context matters.
I agree, context matters. The context that we have a terrible record against them and haven't won at Anfield in the league since 2012 (Arteta was playing!). For me, Liverpool away is one of the fixtures I expect to not only drop points, but to get practically embarrassed. That has been our nightmare experience there for the past few years. So this result, and besting Liverpool head to head this season, is big progress for us.

roonster09

Scout
I agree, context matters. The context that we have a terrible record against them and haven't won at Anfield in the league since 2012 (Arteta was playing!). For me, Anfield away is one of the fixtures I expect to not only drop points, but to get practically embarrassed. That has been our nightmare experience there for the past few years. So this result, and besting Liverpool head to head this season, is huge big for us.
Good, coping mechanism is very important for everyone to cope with football season. Good to see you have one too.

Oranges038

I only saw the end of the first half. So can't judge what they were like when they went ahead.

But saw all of the second, Arsenal played almost as badly as Utd did in that woeful second half a few weeks ago. They just folded, were lucky it didn't finish up 5 or 6-2.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I only saw the end of the first half. So can't judge what they were like when they went ahead.

But saw all of the second, Arsenal played almost as badly as Utd did in that woeful second half a few weeks ago. They just folded, were lucky it didn't finish up 5 or 6-2.
They battered them from pillar to post the first 35-40 mins. Liverpool were chasing shadows. The momentum shift after that was genuinely stunning to watch :lol:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Good, coping mechanism is very important for everyone to cope with football season. Good to see you have one too.
I never expect anything away at Anfield in general, so I personally am happy enough with the result and how we played. Yes it could have been better and in some ways I do feel like it's 2 points dropped. But in the run-in, this and the game at the Etihad are the two I was most worried about, esp with Saliba out.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’d concur. Issue is Arsenal aren’t going the rest of the season without dropping points either.

The game at the Etihad is huge.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
They battered them from pillar to post the first 35-40 mins. Liverpool were chasing shadows. The momentum shift after that was genuinely stunning to watch :lol:
It was pretty amazing. I was in heaven for about 40 mins then was just praying for it to be over. It was an amazing game and I'm sorry I didn't wake up for it (it played at 1.30am in Sydney). Think it shows that the mental block at Anfield is still there.

roonster09

Scout
I never expect anything away at Anfield in general, so I personally am happy enough with the result and how we played. Yes it could have been better and in some ways I do feel like it's 2 points dropped. But in the run-in, this and the game at the Etihad are the two I was most worried about, esp with Saliba out.
Yeah, before the game point at Anfield is a good result for any team but when Arsenal were 2-0 up and before too, the difference in class between teams was so obvious and commentator made sure he reminded us every min that how great Arsenal is and how Liverpool performance sums up their league position.

Liverpool were pathetic till the TAA-Xhaka incident, they had no fight and allowed Arsenal to dictate the game completely. They looked physically shot, had no clue on how to close down or how to hold the possession. They didn't get any meaningful possession. At that moment it looked like a 3 or 4 goal victory for Arsenal. With that context it's easy to see why it's a 2 points dropped.

I don't know if Xhaka's incident was the turning point but it looked like one.

Oranges038

Sounds a bit like the Utd game then, only Utd got nothing to show for their good chances. They were so lucky to come away with a draw in the end.

This could be one of those moments that just totally changes their mindset going into games and makes them shit the bed and lose it from here on in.

Lights Out

Stats from 2 recent games. One of the games finished 7-0 and one finished 2-2:

Possession 60-40
Shots 18-8
Shots on Target 8-4
Corners 4-3

Possession 59-41
Shots 21-9
Shots on Target 6-5
Corners 5-4

ti vu

Sounds a bit like the Utd game then, only Utd got nothing to show for their good chances. They were so lucky to come away with a draw in the end.

This could be one of those moments that just totally changes their mindset going into games and makes them shit the bed and lose it from here on in.
Not even close. Liverpool was all over us in the first half in the first 25 minutes. We got more chances in that first half.

Arsenal in the first 40 minute properly dominated Liverpool.