Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, before the game point at Anfield is a good result for any team but when Arsenal were 2-0 up and before too, the difference in class between teams was so obvious and commentator made sure he reminded us every min that how great Arsenal is and how Liverpool performance sums up their league position.

Liverpool were pathetic till the TAA-Xhaka incident, they had no fight and allowed Arsenal to dictate the game completely. They looked physically shot, had no clue on how to close down or how to hold the possession. They didn't get any meaningful possession. At that moment it looked like a 3 or 4 goal victory for Arsenal. With that context it's easy to see why it's a 2 points dropped.

I don't know if Xhaka's incident was the turning point but it looked like one.
I agree to an extent. But I've gone to bed many nights in recent years crying after this fixture. I feel like people don't realise how dominant Liverpool have been over us in recent years so let's take a trip down memory lane:
March 2022 Liverpool 2-0
Nov 2021 Liverpool 4-0
April 2021 Liverpool 3-0
Sep 2020 Liverpool 3-1
July 2020 Arsenal 2-1
Aug 2019 Liverpool 3-1
Dec 2018 Liverpool 5-1

They have battered us more often than not in the last 4-5 years. So that's why a draw at Anfield is something I'm relatively pleased with. We don't usually even compete against them.

Last edited:

erikcred

I agree to an extent. But I've gone to bed many nights in recent years crying after this fixture. I feel like people don't realise how dominant Liverpool have been over us in recent years so let's take a trip down memory lane:
March 2022 Liverpool 2-0
Nov 2021 Liverpool 4-0
April 2021 Liverpool 3-0
Sep 2020 Liverpool 3-1
July 2020 Arsenal 2-1
Aug 2019 Liverpool 3-1
Dec 2018 Liverpool 5-1

They have battered us more often than not in the last 4-5 yesrs. So that's why a draw at Anfield is something I'm relatively pleased with.
Well, they battered you this time too. You were lucky to get a point in the end.

Let's see if it's a point gained or two lost. Win your next two and the title's pretty much done even if you lose against City. Can't see Chelsea or Newcastle troubling you.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
When I listened to the news I always wonder: why do they only speak about tragedy etc. They are so many positive things in life that can inspire people.

When Arsenal is flying, this topic is quiet. If they lose a match or get a draw, people come fast here to comment.

People enjoy more to see other ones failing than succeed. Tells a lot about human beings….

Jordan_mufc

March 2022 Liverpool 2-0
Nov 2021 Liverpool 4-0
April 2021 Liverpool 3-0
Sep 2020 Liverpool 3-1
July 2020 Arsenal 2-1
Aug 2019 Liverpool 3-1
Dec 2018 Liverpool 5-1

They have battered us more often than not in the last 4-5 years. So that's why a draw at Anfield is something I'm relatively pleased with. We don't usually even compete against them.
It's a good result, but you got battered for an hour.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
They are 3 pts above the drop, Moyes is not in any position to relax in the league. Arsenal may win easily regardless but it won’t be because of a weakened Spammers team.
Not talking about relaxing or playing a weakened team. What I meant was if they play a strong team in Belgium they might stuggle even more against Arsenal.

TheReligion

Abusive
When I listened to the news I always wonder: why do they only speak about tragedy etc. They are so many positive things in life that can inspire people.

When Arsenal is flying, this topic is quiet. If they lose a match or get a draw, people come fast here to comment.

People enjoy more to see other ones failing than succeed. Tells a lot about human beings….
Welcome to life as a Manchester United fan.

top1whoisman

Scout
I think West Ham would prioritize PL survival. They're a bit comfortable now, but nowhere near safe enough that they would fancy winning ELC and getting EL qualification for next season at all cost (if it's CL qualification, it's a different story).

West Ham remaining games are very tough: 4 against other regelation battlers, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Brenton and us, outside of Arsenal game.

Not saying West Ham is tough enough opposition for Arsenal. Just that they're likely trying their best in PL until they confirm their survival. Any point right now is huge in relegation battle.
I’m sure they’ll play their best team against Arsenal. Just saying that they might do the same against Gent too, which would help Arsenal in my opinion. It’s not often West Ham have a chance of silverware.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It's a good result, but you got battered for an hour.
Yes, exactly why I'm overall happy with it. It's others on here who are seeing this draw as some sort of bottle job.

Well, they battered you this time too. You were lucky to get a point in the end.

Let's see if it's a point gained or two lost. Win your next two and the title's pretty much done even if you lose against City. Can't see Chelsea or Newcastle troubling you.
It was a much more even game this time at least, which is huge progress for us. We also had opportunities to score another goal or two. I think we did well to get rid of most of the inferiority complex we have against them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Every oppo thread here is like that. It’s human nature. It’s the nature of being a rival fan. This Arsenal thread is way more active when you win than other oppo threads when other oppo teams win because you’re in a title race. Be thankful, it could be worse.

top1whoisman

Scout
So it's in city's hands now?
It's in both teams' hands. By winning their remaining fixtures they become champions. Even a draw at Etihad would be decent for Arsenal. Then again they still have Newcastle away left as well, while City's two toughest away games left are Brighton & Brentford. Both should really win all matches at home realistically. I'd say it's advantage City as they have experienced these crucial runs before.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It's in both teams' hands. By winning their remaining fixtures they become champions. Even a draw at Etihad would be decent for Arsenal. Then again they still have Newcastle away left as well, while City's two toughest away games left are Brighton & Brentford. Both should really win all matches at home realistically. I'd say it's advantage City as they have experienced these crucial runs before.
Agree with this. Our young team does not know how to handle big pressure moments. If we avoid defeat against City and assuming we don't drop too many points outside of that, then I'd be pretty confident. I'm hoping City's other distractions will help us out.

top1whoisman

Scout
Agree with this. Our young team does not know how to handle big pressure moments. If we avoid defeat against City and assuming we don't drop too many points outside of that, then I'd be pretty confident. I'm hoping City's other distractions will help us out.
Avoiding defeat in that game would go a long way. Then again I'd say after that you could afford one draw but no defeats as I can easily see City winning all of their other remaining fixtures. They also have the squad depth to handle all three competitions. That Newcastle (A) will be huge for you regardless. I don't see any other potential banana skins for either team.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Brenford are in holiday bro.

Only Brighton away might be a game city will be required to be 100%. City can conjure 9 wins from here, can Arsenal conjure 7 wins from here, doesn't seem probable.

Arsenal will be beaten in Etihad.

Main undoing for Arsenal is City will beat them twice, they needed a draw/win at home.

Needing to get a result in Etihad is a gigantic proposition.

Grealish, Halland, KDB will be turning like Cobra's in that game. It's a daunting task
I agree with all of this. What I don't get then is why people say that we have started to choke.
I think even though we are 6 pts ahead but City with that Home game against us and 1 game in hand this is now firmly in their hands.
I would say currently the most likely outcome is that City would win the title considering the players they have and their squad.

In the end that lead we have would just make things more interesting. Also the notion that City are nowhere close to their best is also absurd as if they win all their matches they will be on 94pts (more than last year). In any case they will need 90+ this year to win the title and they most likely would get there. Last two seasons they had 86/93 points so basically they are as good as ever. Even more so now with that Robot.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Well said. I have also wondered why We have more Arsenal fans on redcafe this season than we have had for the last decade

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I agree with all of this. What I don't get then is why people say that we have started to choke.
I think even though we are 6 pts ahead but City with that Home game against us and 1 game in hand this is now firmly in their hands.
I would say currently the most likely outcome is that City would win the title considering the players they have and their squad.

In the end that lead we have would just make things more interesting. Also the notion that City are nowhere close to their best is also absurd as if they win all their matches they will be on 94pts (more than last year). In any case they will need 90+ this year to win the title and they most likely would get there. Last two seasons they had 86/93 points so basically they are as good as ever. Even more so now with that Robot.
City are a very formidable team. That's on Pep.

People here like to bury their heads, but competing with Pep is a daunting task.

With all the money city and United have spent the main difference is Pep.

All the football Liverpool have played in the last few years, main difference between Liverpool overtaking United league titles is Pep.

Even now, it looks like with all the football Arsenal have played, Pep will be difference again.

Up to now Arsenal have not taken 3 points from 7 games only. 7 games.

23 games they have taken maximum 3 points. Or rather, they have taken points of 27 games this season. 23 wins 4 draws.

Yet there is real chance Pep will win the league. Absurd.

I also said, Arteta won't finish above Pep ever again after this season. Klopp hasn't since 2020.

Winning the league with Pep around is such a uphill task, thus even if Arsenal fail to win it from here I won't label them failures.

Even Ten Hag will get a customary title run-in with Pep, hopefully we win it, then Pep leaves.

top1whoisman

Scout
City are a very formidable team. That's on Pep.

People here like to bury their heads, but competing with Pep is a daunting task.

With all the money city and United have spent the main difference is Pep.

All the football Liverpool have played in the last few years, main difference between Liverpool overtaking United league titles is Pep.

Even now, it looks like with all the football Arsenal have played, Pep will be difference again.

Up to now Arsenal have not taken 3 points from 7 games only. 7 games.

23 games they have taken maximum 3 points. Or rather, they have taken points of 27 games this season. 23 wins 4 draws.

Yet there is real chance Pep will win the league. Absurd.

I also said, Arteta won't finish above Pep ever again after this season. Klopp hasn't since 2020.

Winning the league with Pep around is such a uphill task, thus even if Arsenal fail to win it from here I won't label them failures.

Even Ten Hag will get a customary title run-in with Pep, hopefully we win it, then Pep leaves.
Not enough Peps in my opinion. 10 in one post is not even a decent effort. You can do better.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yeah, before the game point at Anfield is a good result for any team but when Arsenal were 2-0 up and before too, the difference in class between teams was so obvious and commentator made sure he reminded us every min that how great Arsenal is and how Liverpool performance sums up their league position.

Liverpool were pathetic till the TAA-Xhaka incident, they had no fight and allowed Arsenal to dictate the game completely. They looked physically shot, had no clue on how to close down or how to hold the possession. They didn't get any meaningful possession. At that moment it looked like a 3 or 4 goal victory for Arsenal. With that context it's easy to see why it's a 2 points dropped.

I don't know if Xhaka's incident was the turning point but it looked like one.
The BBC have highlighted that Xhaka v TAA as the thing that woke Liverpool up.

AaronRedDevil

Well they had a great run. No one expected them to be in the Top 4 let alone in a title race. City are just simply too much for stop. The squad they have doesn't make any sense. Too many really good players on the bench. Everyone else would be lucky to have a strong starting 11 to begin with. City winning the league again is annoying. Another 2 year or 3 years of this crap.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
City's match away to Brighton will be postponed for the FA Cup so Arsenal will have 2 games in hand before their match at Etihad. City still have a lot of work to do with an increasingly jammed up schedule. Hard to see them winning all their remaining league fixtures. Think Arsenal can do it even if they lose at Etihad. Draw that match and I'd say it's still almost guaranteed

AshRK

Whether it's a good point or two points dropped will be known in another month's time. If arsenal win the title then yes but if they lose the title on GD then this game would be the one that had cost them the title.

I remember Klopp 4 seasons back failing to breach a weak United side at Old Trafford (the one where we lost 3 united players to injuries in first half). Liverpool fans said it was a good point but it was more of a missed opportunity and ultimately they lost the title on 1 point.

On balance of the game I will say Arsenal should have lost 4 or 5-2. So that way they should be happy.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
March 2022 Liverpool 2-0
Nov 2021 Liverpool 4-0
April 2021 Liverpool 3-0
Sep 2020 Liverpool 3-1
July 2020 Arsenal 2-1
Aug 2019 Liverpool 3-1
Dec 2018 Liverpool 5-1

Exactly. Feck me we've had some drubbings there. I grew to hate watching us there and are mentally scarred, so feck knows how the players feel.

We lost our composure, that much is true, but for me, Liverpool turned that game 2nd half. They are a team that feed of emotions and from the crowd more than any other, that's where they get their drive and energy from. Once they get in that rhythm at home they are just very hard to play against, regardless of form. They thrive off that harem scarum type of football.

Did the Xhaka incident feed into that, most probably. But I think the inevitable might have just happened anyway.

I think we tried to employ some spoiler tactics to fight this, but I think it put us off more than it out them off. We need to learn to stay composed and play our game without that, but we are still to open on transitions still. Perhaps that's why Arteta wants Rice and sees him helping with that?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. Feck me we've had some drubbings there. I grew to hate watching us there and are mentally scarred, so feck knows how the players feel.

We lost our composure, that much is true, but for me, Liverpool turned that game 2nd half. They are a team that feed of emotions and from the crowd more than any other, that's where they get their drive and energy from. Once they get in that rhythm at home they are just very hard to play against, regardless of form. They thrive off that harem scarum type of football.

Did the Xhaka incident feed into that, most probably. But I think the inevitable might have just happened anyway.

I think we tried to employ some spoiler tactics to fight this, but I think it put us off more than it out them off. We need to learn to stay composed and play our game without that, but we are still to open on transitions still. Perhaps that's why Arteta wants Rice and sees him helping with that?
I also feel like we probably peaked too early in the game. 2-0 up after 30mins is dreamland but I always expected Liverpool to improve. They couldn't be that poor at home for 90mins. I don't remember the Xhaka incident feeling too significant at the time, thought it was just normal handbags stuff.
I agree though that our time wasting ended up just hurting us and made us lose our rhythm. It was too early to be doing that and it's just not our game. We just needed to keep our composure and continue doing what we were doing.

mshnsh

It's a sport and we are rivals. We aren't wishing death on anyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I mean to be fair sport is inherently competitive. As fans is Manchester United we’re hardly going to enjoy any of the teams we usually compete with winning major honours. It takes a curve ball winner - like Leicester City - which is truly inspirational, to be positive who it another winner. That’s just human nature.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Whether it's a good point or two points dropped will be known in another month's time. If arsenal win the title then yes but if they lose the title on GD then this game would be the one that had cost them the title.

I remember Klopp 4 seasons back failing to breach a weak United side at Old Trafford (the one where we lost 3 united players to injuries in first half). Liverpool fans said it was a good point but it was more of a missed opportunity and ultimately they lost the title on 1 point.

On balance of the game I will say Arsenal should have lost 4 or 5-2. So that way they should be happy.
Even if we don't win the title, I don't think it would be on this game.
First and foremost it would be onus being naive and losing to City at Home
Then the lost points to Everton/Southampton

Chief123

I’ve seen a lot of copium from Arsenal fans in trying to take positives from the game but the truth is they messed it up. Liverpool were there for the taking and on the ropes. No Arsenal player will be thinking that ended up a great result. The problem they have is it’s just a straight horse race now between Arsenal and City rather than City needing favours. There’s only one team who’s favourites in that scenario and you can see the Arsenal players knew it.

Dominos

City's match away to Brighton will be postponed for the FA Cup so Arsenal will have 2 games in hand before their match at Etihad. City still have a lot of work to do with an increasingly jammed up schedule. Hard to see them winning all their remaining league fixtures. Think Arsenal can do it even if they lose at Etihad. Draw that match and I'd say it's still almost guaranteed
If you offered Arsenal a loss at the Etihad, but they win the rest of their remaining games, I think they'd have to take that. It means City have to win every league game whilst competing in 3 competitions, and it will come down to goal difference even if they do manage that (granted GD currently in City's favour).

Arsenal's next 6 games are West Ham away, Southampton home, City away, Chelsea home, Newcastle away, Brighton home.

There's only really Southampton at home out of those you'd feel like a sure 3 points. Season may come down to whether Chelsea can be arsed motivating themselves to try and stop Arsenal winning the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think it was pretty much the main factor. Liverpool were on the beach, rolling over and accepting the defeat until Xhaka riled them up.

Liverpool crowd only really get going if there's something to encourage them, many times we've gone there controlled the game and didn't hear a peep out of them.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I’ve seen a lot of copium from Arsenal fans in trying to take positives from the game but the truth is they messed it up. Liverpool were there for the taking and on the ropes. No Arsenal player will be thinking that ended up a great result. The problem they have is it’s just a straight horse race now between Arsenal and City rather than City needing favours. There’s only one team who’s favourites in that scenario and you can see the Arsenal players knew it.
Yeah, it’s either that… or that draw at Anfield isn’t the end of the world.