Ashling Murphy murder

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Rubber necking is an understandable impulse. What bothers me is the evidently increased desire to get involved that comes from filming and sharing your involvement. Although I’m conscious this is yet another old man shouting at clouds topic.
Yeah, I do realise engaging with Deery, and a couple of my friends who agreed with the mob being in there, that it is just my opinion. I find it perverse that there was such a crowd posturing and as you said, almost trying to be involved somehow, in something tragic. But then, that's just me. I find it strange and sad. Doesn't make me right though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, I do realise engaging with Deery, and a couple of my friends who agreed with the mob being in there, that it is just my opinion. I find it perverse that there was such a crowd posturing and as you said, almost trying to be involved somehow, in something tragic. But then, that's just me. I find it strange and sad. Doesn't make me right though.
It’s the need to put themselves at the centre of events. When the events really have nothing to do with them. Just walk away. This isn’t about you.

Deery

Dreary
I have no idea why you think a few comments on redcafe are relevant to my opinion on the scenes in that video.

Unless you’re implying it would be better that the mob vent their anger online, instead of making life difficult for the guards in person? In which case, I agree.
No, that’s not what I’m saying at all, I find it strange no one batted an eyelid at the thought of him getting stabbed to death but as soon as his life is made a little uncomfortable for him it’s unacceptable.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
No, that’s not what I’m saying at all, I find it strange no one batted an eyelid at the thought of him getting stabbed to death but as soon as his life is made a little uncomfortable it’s unacceptable.
Don't think anyone is worried about life being uncomfortable for him to be honest. No one, I don't think, is saying that we disagreed with the mob because it made him uncomfortable.

Deery

Dreary
Don't think anyone is worried about life being uncomfortable for him to be honest. No one, I don't think, is saying that we disagreed with the mob because it made him uncomfortable.
Well that’s basically what I was interpreting with the people being there and not at home, just making life uncomfortable for him and showing their disgust for him. I’m sorry if people are talking about something else I didn’t pick up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well that’s basically what I was interpreting with the people being there and not at home, just making life uncomfortable for him and showing their disgust for him. I’m sorry if people are talking about something else I didn’t pick up.
It annoys me for two reasons.

First, it makes things more difficult for the courts and Garda dealing with him, they still have to do their job and protect him and none of that shit helps. Second, a lot of the people there are just there to post it all over social media. You might be naive enough to think that's not true and they're all friends of hers (it's possible, but very unlikely) but you can clearly see from the video how many people have their phones out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Second, a lot of the people there are just there to post it all over social media. You might be naive enough to think that's not true and they're all friends of hers (it's possible, but very unlikely) but you can clearly see from the video how many people have their phones out.
I don't get this either. If my friend had just died I doubt a) One of the first things I'd be thinking about would be wanting to post a video about it on social media and b) my friend would want that.

Massive Spanner

I don't get this either. If my friend had just died I doubt a) One of the first things I'd be thinking about would be wanting to post a video about it on social media and b) my friend would want that.
Exactly. The idea that the first thought of the people who are really in mourning for her would be to go to the courthouse and go mental with a mob, take out their phones and video it, is stupid.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

First, it makes things more difficult for the courts and Garda dealing with him, they still have to do their job and protect him and none of that shit helps. Second, a lot of the people there are just there to post it all over social media. You might be naive enough to think that's not true and they're all friends of hers (it's possible, but very unlikely) but you can clearly see from the video how many people have their phones out.
You can add to that the possibility that he might be completely innocent. There’s a reason we have courts of law to adjudicate on cases like this and don’t leave it to the hands of baying mobs. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Those stupid twats would probably happily film selfies of themselves kicking a suspect (emphasis on the word suspect) to death, all for likes and shares.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Exactly. The idea that the first thought of the people who are really in mourning for her would be to go to the courthouse and go mental with a mob, take out their phones and video it, is stupid.
I agree, it's very uncomfortable to see it. Anyone who wants to know what he looks like can watch one of the official vids of it on a news site, you don't have to be there shouting abuse.

As in any criminal case, he has the right to a fair trial and not just trial by public opinion.

(edit - looks like Pogue and I were thinking the same thing at the same time).

Deery

Dreary

Well I kinda agree with the phone thing it’s a little strange maybe one person did it and it set off a chain reaction as I’m sure the situation was a little strange for everyone there, although I’m not a twenty something nowadays so I don’t really understand the mind of one.

Penna

Staff
Well I kinda agree with the phone thing it’s a little strange maybe one person did it and it set off a chain reaction as I’m sure the situation was a little strange for everyone there, although I’m not a twenty something nowadays so I don’t really understand the mind of one.
Come on Deery, you know that for many people the first reaction is to film it first, think about it later. It would have been the first thought for most of the people who turned up outside that Court.

Deery

Dreary
Come on Deery, you know that for many people the first reaction is to film it first, think about it later. It would have been the first thought for most of the people who turned up outside that Court.
Well that does seem to be the way nowadays I can agree with that.

stepic

i think it's a little harsh/overly cynical to automatically assume people are just there for their social media profile. people are allowed to be pissed off at women getting murdered. i think it's far more likely that's the situation rather than trying to boost their instagram status. the phones out is a bit weird i agree, but then again i think it's stupid people film entire gigs they go to, too. people like filming everything these days.

Massive Spanner

i think it's a little harsh/overly cynical to automatically assume people are just there for their social media profile. people are allowed to be pissed off at women getting murdered. i think it's far more likely that's the situation rather than trying to boost their instagram status. the phones out is a bit weird i agree, but then again i think it's stupid people film entire gigs they go to, too. people like filming everything these days.
In the world of social media, I find that an incredibly naive view to take.

Conor

Filming a happy memory(however stupid that is) isn't remotely comparable to filming the perp walk of a potential murderer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think it’s quite clear emotions are running high and they want to display their disgust at what happened, don’t see much wrong with it to be honest.
Apart from the baying mob potentially making a fair trial impossible bit presumably?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
No matter how disgusted I've been at a crime, I've never felt a pressing need to traipse over to the courthouse to yell abuse at a suspect.

I get that people get caught up in the moment in crowds and there is a lot of emotion, but the degree of planning and forethought going into it is something I find very strange.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do they know much about the facts of the case? My first guess would be he was being a creep and her ignoring/saying no made him angry.

Otherwise he's just killed a random girl for no reason? Not that the reason above is justifiable in any way.

Seemed to be similar with Sabina Nessa. Just killed for no reason.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Do they know much about the facts of the case? My first guess would be he was being a creep and her ignoring/saying no made him angry.

Otherwise he's just killed a random girl for no reason? Not that the reason above is justifiable in any way.

Think it’s all just speculation and rumors right now, but my missus seems to think she fought back against an attempted rape, hence whatever injuries landed him in hospital.

Massive Spanner

Very little yet. But it looks like he didn't know her and it was random.

Massive Spanner

Think it’s all just speculation and rumors right now, but my missus seems to think she fought back against an attempted rape, hence whatever injuries landed him in hospital.
Hasn't it already been confirmed that the injuries he had to go to hospital for were self inflicted?

stepic

No matter how disgusted I've been at a crime, I've never felt a pressing need to traipse over to the courthouse to yell abuse at a suspect.

I get that people get caught up in the moment in crowds and there is a lot of emotion, but the degree of planning and forethought going into it is something I find very strange.
me neither, and i agree it's kinda strange. but i can also understand why some people may do it. these cases are now (rightfully) getting a lot more media attention, with the Everard case and now this. there's growing anger at women being killed, and that anger can turn into situations like this. i'm just saying i can understand why people may do it (minus the phone usage).

Withnail

Hasn't it already been confirmed that the injuries he had to go to hospital for were self inflicted?
He also had wounds which could only have come from someone else defending themselves, apparently. That's why the hospital staff in Dublin called the Gardai who made the connection to Tullamore.

This might have been pure speculation but I recall reading somewhere, that the self inflicted wounds may have been an attempt to cover up the defensive wounds. I'm not an expert but it would seem to be an unusual location for self-harm.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
He also had wounds which could only have come from someone else defending themselves, apparently. That's why the hospital staff in Dublin called the Gardai who made the connection to Tullamore.

This might have been pure speculation but I recall reading somewhere, that the self inflicted wounds may have been an attempt to cover up the defensive wounds. I'm not an expert but it would seem to be an unusual location for self-harm.
I read this too in a couple of places. Pretty sure it was in some of the major newspapers. But who knows where they got their details.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I suspect the poor girl got some of his DNA under her nails or something. Which they can use to cement him being the suspect.

Relfy

I am unsure of all the facts, so please excuse me if I have missed something, but after seeing those videos doing the rounds last night, is this potentially (and I stress potentially) risking the entire case? If he pleads not guilty, then there has to be a court case, so if public opinion is that this man is guilty, it is going to be incredibly difficult to find an impartial jury. The defence team could simply seek a mistrial if they feel the jury has a verdict prior to the case.

We all want justice, but parading the fella around, allowing people to be there to film it all, and for people like RTE to issue articles which went on to state that he earns 200 quid a week to stoke up some anti-immigration sentiment (that's how I read it at least - what has his salary got to do with anything?!) doesn't seem quite right.

I pray for the family that there is no risk that any of these actions have any impact to them seeing justice served against the guilty party.

Penna

Staff
I am unsure of all the facts, so please excuse me if I have missed something, but after seeing those videos doing the rounds last night, is this potentially (and I stress potentially) risking the entire case? If he pleads not guilty, then there has to be a court case, so if public opinion is that this man is guilty, it is going to be incredibly difficult to find an impartial jury. The defence team could simply seek a mistrial if they feel the jury has a verdict prior to the case.

We all want justice, but parading the fella around, allowing people to be there to film it all, and for people like RTE to issue articles which went on to state that he earns 200 quid a week to stoke up some anti-immigration sentiment (that's how I read it at least - what has his salary got to do with anything?!) doesn't seem quite right.

I pray for the family that there is no risk that any of these actions have any impact to them seeing justice served against the guilty party.
I was thinking the same. Local posters can tell us where major crime cases like this are tried in this particular part of Ireland, so it's probably not going to be people from that small town who are sitting on the jury.

Deery

Dreary

He already has pleaded not guilty, his name was given out in media so I shouldn’t think it would interfere with the court case people being outside the courthouse.

Withnail

While I get that there is a danger incidents like this or if people are discussing things they shouldn't be on social media etc but I can't see what looks like an open and shut murder case collapsing in this country over something like this.

Fingeredmouse

Rubber necking is an understandable impulse. What bothers me is the evidently increased desire to get involved that comes from filming and sharing your involvement. Although I’m conscious this is yet another old man shouting at clouds topic.
Not at all. Turning up as part of a baying mob at a courthouse, irrespective of the addition of camera phones and social media, is absolutely to be questioned. Who are they doing it for? To achieve what? You'd have felt the same when you were a young man in the early 60s, and many young people'll agree.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
He already has pleaded not guilty, his name was given out in media so I shouldn’t think it would interfere with the court case people being outside the courthouse.
It could easily be used as evidence that everyone assumes he’s guilty and that it’s impossible for him to get a fair trail. It wouldn’t be enough on its own. But it could certainly be used.

Withnail

It could easily be used as evidence that everyone assumes he’s guilty and that it’s impossible for him to get a fair trail. It wouldn’t be enough on its own. But it could certainly be used.
Not condoning it at all but it was about 100 people and I think can be explained away as local emotions running high. It's not like it was thousands and thousands outside Store St in Dublin.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s the need to put themselves at the centre of events. When the events really have nothing to do with them. Just walk away. This isn’t about you.
Yeah, they are spas, but the morning radio shows perpetuate that instinct, it's fecking gross. I had the misfortune of listening to my ma listening to Newstalk last week, I had to leave in case we fell out.