Film Avatar: The Way of Water

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
On the going to the cinema alone thing. What do you do when the cinema is half empty and you have to sit right beside another lone cinema-goer? The only two occupied seats in the whole row. That was awkward as feck.
Why would you do that? Is it assigned seating? Even so, sit a few seats apart until forced to move by latecomers.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

This is mad. Mainly because I thought the underwater stuff was all CGI. They actually got wet?!
To ensure the mocap was authentic.

You are somewhat weightless and you move differently under water. I think it would have been something that stuck out and didn't look right if he tried to fake it.

CloneMC16

Went last night and thought it was brilliant. I love sci-fi stuff, though. I think I prefer the water setting over the forest setting from the 1st film. It's been a while since I saw the 1st film, but I didn't remember it being as violent as this one. I was surprised it was a 12A.

Even though I really liked it, I still think these 3 hour films are too long. Could have cut some of the middle portion and it still would have been great.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
My only real complaint was the shit dialogue. Predictable, cliched and cringe worthy. Things like the "whaling guy" shout "lets make bank" is just lazy. Every scene had some cliched line, it was like a wikipedia page of cringe worthy cliches. Cameron needs better dialogue writers.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair I haven't even seen top gun 2 yet. Is it recommended? Haven't even seen the first and I loved jet fighters was a kid....

I think it was the shit song.

Sweet Square

Yeah, excellent. First time I’d rewatched it and stood up so well.
Haven’t seen Elvis yet but Romeo + Juliet might be Luhrman best work(Although I’ve got a soft spot for the Great Gatsby as it’s my favourite book).

Imo it’s really difficult to adopt Shakespeare work onto the screen and to make it accessible for a mass audience(A lot people have the misconception that it’s “posh” when really it’s just old timey eastenders), Romeo + Juliet a good job at that. Also everything with Luhrman is so over the top that Shakespeare is a natural fit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Haven’t seen Elvis yet but Romeo + Juliet might be Luhrman best work(Although I’ve got a soft spot for the Great Gatsby as it’s my favourite book).

Imo it’s really difficult to adopt Shakespeare work onto the screen and to make it accessible for a mass audience(A lot people have the misconception that it’s “posh” when really it’s just old timey eastenders), Romeo + Juliet a good job at that. Also everything with Luhrman is so over the top that Shakespeare is a natural fit.
Exactly. Plus even the weird gun fetish doesn’t age badly!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Finally got round to watching this last night. Watched it in 3D and would definitely recommend doing it that way.

LInkash

Imagine EastEnders in iambic pentameter.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
To be fair I haven't even seen top gun 2 yet. Is it recommended? Haven't even seen the first and I loved jet fighters was a kid....

I think it was the shit song.
Nah it's nothing special. The scenario and dialogue is somehow worse than Avatar's, and the decent action scenes are relatively short overall.

SuperiorXI

Watched it yesterday.

Pro's were the visuals, I watched it in 3D IMAX in Manchester which is one of the biggest screens, really cool but didn't hit me quite as much as the first time around, I wasn't as impressed. The action sequences were also really good.

In terms of cons, I was a bit miffed how depressing it was, it really tried to drill into you that "Humans are bad". You could tell it was more of a political message with the Whaling story and to be honest I watch films to escape from reality, not be reminded of it, so it was annoying. I felt some of the scenes could have been cut although it wasn't that bad given the length, it did kind of fly by.

The kids were so stupid. It was as though their only purpose was to get themselves in danger to advance the plot.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Watched it yesterday.

Pro's were the visuals, I watched it in 3D IMAX in Manchester which is one of the biggest screens, really cool but didn't hit me quite as much as the first time around, I wasn't as impressed. The action sequences were also really good.

In terms of cons, I was a bit miffed how depressing it was, it really tried to drill into you that "Humans are bad". You could tell it was more of a political message with the Whaling story and to be honest I watch films to escape from reality, not be reminded of it, so it was annoying. I felt some of the scenes could have been cut although it wasn't that bad given the length, it did kind of fly by.

The kids were so stupid. It was as though their only purpose was to get themselves in danger to advance the plot.
Pretty much how I felt too. I will say it's definitely worth the price of a movie ticket. Give me these types of blockbusters over the stale marvel stuff anyday.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Watched it yesterday.

Just saw it now. I've been looking forward to it for a decade seeing the first one in IMAX and being blown away. I wasn't blown away this time, probably due to my own high expectations. I don't think they got the 3D right in the same way or maybe it was too long. It was still a very good effort. But it doesn't help that I still have a mild headache.

I agree with your assessment of it, you nailed it.

SuperiorXI

Just saw it now. I've been looking forward to it for a decade seeing the first one in IMAX and being blown away. I wasn't blown away this time, probably due to my own high expectations. I don't think they got the 3D right in the same way or maybe it was too long. It was still a very good effort. But it doesn't help that I still have a mild headache.

I agree with your assessment of it, you nailed it.
Yeah maybe you're right about th 3D. I recall in the first one, the bit with the floaty mountains, I remember it felt like you was actually in the scene floating around, didn't seem as good this time around.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah maybe you're right about th 3D. I recall in the first one, the bit with the floaty mountains, I remember it felt like you was actually in the scene floating around, didn't seem as good this time around.
Yes, that's exactly what I was waiting for. Where although the screen is in front of you there is still that feeling of submersion into the land. This time the only time I felt like I was 'actually there' was the space ship at the beginning where the main bad guy was introducing himself to his avatar.

I was getting dizzy and vertigo as the ship turned slowly and you looked down into it. That was impressive. The rest was 3D but nothing special.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Went last night and thought it was brilliant. I love sci-fi stuff, though. I think I prefer the water setting over the forest setting from the 1st film. It's been a while since I saw the 1st film, but I didn't remember it being as violent as this one. I was surprised it was a 12A.

Even though I really liked it, I still think these 3 hour films are too long. Could have cut some of the middle portion and it still would have been great.
When I was younger really long films had an 'Intermission' although the last one I can remember was Spielberg's War film 'Empire of the Sun'. I don't know why they dont still do that because it would give you a chance to have a pee without missing anything and also buy some more popcorn/hot dogs, which I know the Cinemas make big profits on.

I saw it with my grown-up kids a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it. We saw it in 3D and I recommend it that way. I still say only the first Avatar, Gravity and now this film have got 3D right, I don't really know why.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I watched it last week. Awful movie. I liked the first one for what it was but I've rarely felt the drawn out length of a movie like this one.

Corey

I swear the 3D did not work at all in this film. I noticed zero difference between wearing the glasses and not wearing the glasses (besides a darker tint with the glasses) despite lifting them on/off numerous times to check, including swapping glasses with my brother. In the original Avatar I did notice the 3D and it enhanced things.

Otherwise a good but not great film, didn't blow me away like the first one did.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I swear the 3D did not work at all in this film. I noticed zero difference between wearing the glasses and not wearing the glasses (besides a darker tint with the glasses) despite lifting them on/off numerous times to check, including swapping glasses with my brother. In the original Avatar I did notice the 3D and it enhanced things.

Otherwise a good but not great film, didn't blow me away like the first one did.
Are you sure you were sitting in the right screening? I’m not even joking. I took my edibles too early and arrived at the cinema pretty blitzed. The movie had already started, the 3D wasn’t working at all and the screen wasn’t the MAXX they’d promised on the ticket. I stormed out to complain and was patiently shown to the correct screening.

Corey

Are you sure you were sitting in the right screening? I’m not even joking. I took my edibles too early and arrived at the cinema pretty blitzed. The movie had already started, the 3D wasn’t working at all and the screen wasn’t the MAXX they’d promised on the ticket. I stormed out to complain and was patiently shown to the correct screening.
Haha edibles would've been a good idea for this film to be fair. What was the 3D like for you once you were in the right theatre?

I definitely paid for 3D yeah, I double checked now and it says 3D in the title and I paid £2 extra for the 3D glasses which the usher reminder me to collect and the people around me were wearing too.
Maybe my brother's and my eyesight have both declined, between the original Avatar in 2009 and now, such that can no longer detect the 3D element of 3D films. Or maybe the cinema dude put the wrong version on....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Haha edibles would've been a good idea for this film to be fair. What was the 3D like for you once you were in the right theatre?

I definitely paid for 3D yeah, I double checked now and it says 3D in the title and I paid £2 extra for the 3D glasses which the usher reminder me to collect and the people around me were wearing too.
Maybe my brother's and my eyesight have both declined, between the original Avatar in 2009 and now, such that can no longer detect the 3D element of 3D films. Or maybe the cinema dude put the wrong version on....
I thought it was pretty great. Only one or two moments where you see something floating in front of you, like you could touch it. Old school show off 3D. Mainly it just made everything a bit more immersive. I thought it worked best in the underwater scenes.